Season ticket renewal thread ( merged )

bauld willie

Mars plastic

It's conjecture to say our support isn't growing based on season ticket sales, is it not?

Eh? If we've sold less ST's than last year I think we can safely say our support hasn't grown.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ferryjambo99

Eh? If we've sold less ST's than last year I think we can safely say our support hasn't grown.

Surely you'd take season ticket sales over a longer period of time to judge fan base growth. Just a few seasons ago the roseburn never had any hearts fans at all, now we regularly fill 4 reactions. We could still outsell last season as well, still weeks to go. We could offer premium seats for free to the local homeless people, you'd have fun

Buffalo Bill

Impossible to say as we don't know if the club will be giving the entire stand to hibs and the old firm.

If we get off to a stinker then that will obviously have an adverse effect on the fair weathers that only want to come when the team is winning. I think season ticket sales are an accurate barometer of what Cat B crowds will be next season,

Well the Roseburn Cat A debate only effects 300 seats (for segregation) so you're looking at maybe the difference between a 19,700 crowd to a 20K crowd so not that much of a difference. Most Cat B games were comfortably over 16,000 last season. 

You base your case strictly on comparing last season's sales to this season's, which aren't all that different and there's still time to buy. Plus, 2017 sales are holding up, despite the poor football performance we delivered in 2016/17. If anything, this season's sales are more remarkable than last year's.  

I'm 100% confident our average attendance is set to grow due to our bigger capacity.

Buffalo Bill

We were absolutely flying under Jim Jefferies in season 2010/11 from October through to Christmas. We got 17,000 on NTD v Hibs, but other crowds during that run were around the 12,000 or 13,000 mark. The next season, 11,000, 12,000, 13,000 crowds were the norm.

Run of the mill games in the early-mid 2000s were often around the 9-10,000 mark, even during good seasons under Craig Levein.

Going back to the 1990s, we'd often get crowds of 7,000 or less, especially in the period between 1992-1995.

There is no question that our crowds are on an upward trajectory.

fair point... Hearts are the bigger supported club, but hibs did well to get 15,000 plus averages last season..

By the radio hibs were the best team for most of the game tonight, but were hopeless in front of goal...

I see 18,000 averages at tynecastle and 16,500 plus at easter road....the largest Edinburgh turnouts since 1980s...

Hibs attendances last season just help prove my point that Scottish football doesn't need Rangers and Celtic for decent crowds.

If your team is top of the league or chasing the title you'll get good crowds without them around.

And Hibs played generally shite last season on a poor league.

scott herbertson

Last season we sold around 13700 in total

As we haven't finished selling STs yet and what we have are fairly rough estimates of 13,500 sold so far, I think we can safely say we don't yet know if our support has grown season on season, it's just conjecture on your part that we will sell less

I think it's safe to say that, even with a poor start or average start, the home games will be sitting at 16K at least. At the turn of the year, with Cat A games added, it will be at 17-18k.

As BB has said....a 50 year high.

Hackney Hearts

We don't yet know how many STs we've sold compared to last year! There's weeks to go yet - I haven't got mine yet (I had by this stage last year).

I know still plenty time, however anyone know what current position is re season tickets being sent out ? Is there still a load to be posted ? Also any cat b been actually sent out as there was talk at one stage of moving ..

I know still plenty time, however anyone know what current position is re season tickets being sent out ? Is there still a load to be posted ? Also any cat b been actually sent out as there was talk at one stage of moving ..

Not got mine yet !

Francis Albert

Why should folk who put their ST money into the club travel away be denied a ticket for our biggest away fixture of the season to accommodate folk who can't be arsed to put the hours in going to the games against diddy clubs home and away?

While attending away games is commendable it doesn't put a penny in the club's pockets. Nor in recent times does it seem to have done much for our away performances. The club's priority must be to maximise its home support. 

Francis Albert

We were absolutely flying under Jim Jefferies in season 2010/11 from October through to Christmas. We got 17,000 on NTD v Hibs, but other crowds during that run were around the 12,000 or 13,000 mark. The next season, 11,000, 12,000, 13,000 crowds were the norm.

Run of the mill games in the early-mid 2000s were often around the 9-10,000 mark, even during good seasons under Craig Levein.

Going back to the 1990s, we'd often get crowds of 7,000 or less, especially in the period between 1992-1995.

There is no question that our crowds are on an upward trajectory.

And if you go back to the mid-60s to early 80's the core support was even lower.

With aggregate home crowds for Hearts and Hibs looking like possibly exceeding 30,000 this a boom time for Edinburgh football, despite the gloom and doom about the state of the Scottish game. I remember in the early Vlad days posters rofling all over the place when a new recruit talked about looking forward to playing before capacity crowds every week. The idea that Hibs would sell over 12,000 STs would have been met with even more hilarity.

If we can get some success on the pitch (and by we here I of course mean Hearts) our upward trajectory will continue.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

And if you go back to the mid-60s to early 80's the core support was even lower.

With aggregate home crowds for Hearts and Hibs looking like possibly exceeding 30,000 this a boom time for Edinburgh football, despite the gloom and doom about the state of the Scottish game. I remember in the early Vlad days posters rofling all over the place when a new recruit talked about looking forward to playing before capacity crowds every week. The idea that Hibs would sell over 12,000 STs would have been met with even more hilarity.

If we can get some success on the pitch (and by we here I of course mean Hearts) our upward trajectory will continue.

Francis i am genuinely pleased you are being positive

Mars plastic

While attending away games is commendable it doesn't put a penny in the club's pockets. Nor in recent times does it seem to have done much for our away performances. The club's priority must be to maximise its home support.

The folk who only want to go to big games can do one. Hibs to get the entire end to ensure the same at ER please.

Francis Albert

The folk who only want to go to big games can do one. Hibs to get the entire end to ensure the same at ER please.

So if enough Hearts fans go to games to regularly to take up some sections of the Roseburn as well as selling out the other stands they can "do one" when Hibs come to call. Well its certainly an interesting marketing strategy.

Lucille's Thirsty

Maybe we could work out a trail period sort of thing with the new capacity.

The first 4 Cat A games we restrict away supporters too two section including Hibs.

If we fail to sell out and the authorities that be shall see if giving the whole roseburn would be better financially?

I've said countless time I would love Tynie full to the brim with the roseburn being dominated more by us.

scott herbertson

The first 4 Cat A games we restrict away supporters too two section including Hibs.

If we fail to sell out and the authorities that be shall see if giving the whole roseburn would be better financially?

I've said countless time I would love Tynie full to the brim with the roseburn being dominated more by us.

I think that's a reasonable compromise - I would suggest a slight variant - do it for the first two old firm games only and see how it goes on sales for the Non ST seats for the other three stands. Target - under 50 left, then we open the Riaebuen for Hearts fans too

Would be fun for the dot counters as a bonus

Gorgie_Rules

Last season we sold around 13700 in total

As we haven't finished selling STs yet and what we have are fairly rough estimates of 13,500 sold so far, I think we can safely say we don't yet know if our support has grown season on season, it's just conjecture on your part that we will sell less

I know a few folk that bought their season ticket past few seasons knowing they couldn't make a lot of games, but it gave them a guaranteed decent seat for the games they could make.

Many in that boat won't have renewed this year (I know of 2) which makes me think walk ups will be more this year, obviously results dependant.

To have similar numbers to last season despite increased capacity is good going, no doubting our support is growing.

Good suggestion.

Buffalo Bill

The end game should be to have Hearts fans in all four stands creating a hell of a noise. We should make the opposition feel very outnumbered.

So if enough Hearts fans go to games to regularly to take up some sections of the Roseburn as well as selling out the other stands they can "do one" when Hibs come to call. Well its certainly an interesting marketing strategy.

The present marketing strategy doesn't seem to have a faith in our support to sell Cat A tickets for the Roseburn, hence the introduction of Cat B tickets. Fair enough, if we are doing really well we will re visit that but, as it stands, the Cat B sales have been very slow.

An easy decision for the club, no ?

Francis Albert

The present marketing strategy doesn't seem to have a faith in our support to sell Cat A tickets for the Roseburn, hence the introduction of Cat B tickets. Fair enough, if we are doing really well we will re visit that but, as it stands, the Cat B sales have been very slow.

An easy decision for the club, no ?

No need to make a decision just yet on Roseburn allocations for the Cat A games. The Cat B decision was right but we can wait to see how our season begins and what our actual crowds turn out to be including walk ups before a final decision. And I think that is what we are doing - we have certainly not committed the Roseburn to away fans yet for Cat A games.

Surely that goes both ways though? Our biggest away crowd outside of Easter Road is maybe 2,000ish. And then we easily shift almost double for down there.

If we were to limit Hibs support at Tynecastle it would be because our fans are filling the stadium for all of the other matches. It's entirely likely that the Hearts fans who would be locked out of a home derby would have also been in the Roseburn for most other home games as well. So their reward for paying to come in to the category B matches would be, "sorry folks, we're giving those seats to the away team". If we're regularly filling (and that doesn't necessarily mean to capacity) the Roseburn for the "lesser" teams it would be very contentious of the club to not let those same fans have a chance of going to the derby.

Lucille's Thirsty

I think that's a reasonable compromise - I would suggest a slight variant - do it for the first two old firm games only and see how it goes on sales for the Non ST seats for the other three stands. Target - under 50 left, then we open the Riaebuen for Hearts fans too

Would be fun for the dot counters as a bonus

I'm all for waiting to see what's what with regards to the Roseburn,it just so sad if we give all the roseburn away with all the work that we have the fans have done.

Don't push potential new Hearts fans away.

Segregation is an issue at Tynie you'll lose seats in the roseburn

which is an annoyance for me the current G4S banner is far too big IMO.

Lucille's Thirsty

The end game should be to have Hearts fans in all four stands creating a hell of a noise. We should make the opposition feel very outnumbered.

I don't want to do it,remember when we used to give the old firm the whole Roseburn,Celtic they made one hell of a noise with 3,400 of them countless times when we were in front against Celtic and with every corner,shot,save,chance they completely drowned us out and we as Jambos became nervous which inevitably lead to an equaliser or a winner it felt like they were sucking the ball into the net.

Can't let that happen again IMO.

Buffalo Bill

I don't want to do it,remember when we used to give the old firm the whole Roseburn,Celtic they made one hell of a noise with 3,400 of them countless times when we were in front against Celtic and with every corner,shot,save,chance they completely drowned us out and we as Jambos became nervous which inevitably lead to an equaliser or a winner it felt like they were sucking the ball into the net.

I agree.

Tynecastle is a big away game for every team in the Scotland including the Old Firm. Away fans are always right up for it when they come to our place. An entire Roseburn full of away fans creates a wall of noise when the opposition is in front, or on the front foot. 

Look at the Hibs game last season. The longer the game went on, the more confidence their fans got and the constant drumming and singing got louder and more defiant, and drowned out any response from the home fans who were watching our team play terribly. Fair play to them, they out-sang us, which was made easier by their numbers. Now I know it was a cup game and we'd have had to have given them the whole stand anyway, but the point stands that the full stand gives the opposition a better chance of spurring on their team.

I want Celtic, Rangers and Hibs to come to Tynecastle and feel small in numbers. Let them hear us.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Spot on bud. Can't believe anyone would want/allow that again. It's hard not to admire it and it makes me fecking sick. They turn it into a home match and have probably won countless points because of it.

I bet most of us who have to experience it would prefer to keep them to two sections.

I do get the point about the away end in a way but how many derbies have Hibs won at Tynie? How many games have Aberdeen won? Both clubs fill the Roseburn if given it.

The old firm back in the day were just better teams. We had our wins v Rangers and Celtic but the Hearts fans didn't sit on their hands.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away Hearts fans gave it large at home, on big ocassions.

Mars plastic

I wonder why thec old firm don't limit the amount of away fans on derby day. Oh aye, they want as many if their fans as possible to see the match.

Lucille's Thirsty

I agree.

Tynecastle is a big away game for every team in the Scotland including the Old Firm. Away fans are always right up for it when they come to our place. An entire Roseburn full of away fans creates a wall of noise when the opposition is in front, or on the front foot.

Look at the Hibs game last season. The longer the game went on, the more confidence their fans got and the constant drumming and singing got louder and more defiant, and drowned out any response from the home fans who were watching our team play terribly. Fair play to them, they out-sang us, which was made easier by their numbers. Now I know it was a cup game and we'd have had to have given them the whole stand anyway, but the point stands that the full stand gives the opposition a better chance of spurring on their team.

I want Celtic, Rangers and Hibs to come to Tynecastle and feel small in numbers. Let them hear us.

I completely agree with BB,

I was at th-5 game and I knew we had to get a first half goal when it went to half time 0-0 I knew Hibs thought they had more of a chance,we became nervous which transmits to the players and it did.

Hibs fans sensed it as did we our stadium is so tight that it seems a stand full of away supporters can drown out the other three.

Needs to stop but If we can't fill it then it's a needs must.

Lucille's Thirsty

I do get the point about the away end in a way but how many derbies have Hibs won at Tynie? How many games have Aberdeen won? Both clubs fill the Roseburn if given it.

The old firm back in the day were just better teams. We had our wins v Rangers and Celtic but the Hearts fans didn't sit on their hands.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away Hearts fans gave it large at home, on big ocassions.

Imagine 17k or 18k Hearts fans against a two sections of the Roseburn can't remember the capacity my bad.

It just gives us a feel of superiority strength in number and all that.

Cani argue with you there, marsy baby.

No need to make a decision just yet on Roseburn allocations for the Cat A games. The Cat B decision was right but we can wait to see how our season begins and what our actual crowds turn out to be including walk ups before a final decision. And I think that is what we are doing - we have certainly not committed the Roseburn to away fans yet for Cat A games.

That's how I read it too FA.

We've kept our options open as it stands.  If demand is high enough, we can sell tickets in the Roseburn to Hearts fans for Category A games.  If not, we can make the whole stand available for away fans.

Gorgie_Rules

I agree.

Tynecastle is a big away game for every team in the Scotland including the Old Firm. Away fans are always right up for it when they come to our place. An entire Roseburn full of away fans creates a wall of noise when the opposition is in front, or on the front foot. 

Look at the Hibs game last season. The longer the game went on, the more confidence their fans got and the constant drumming and singing got louder and more defiant, and drowned out any response from the home fans who were watching our team play terribly. Fair play to them, they out-sang us, which was made easier by their numbers. Now I know it was a cup game and we'd have had to have given them the whole stand anyway, but the point stands that the full stand gives the opposition a better chance of spurring on their team.

This has certainly worked against Rangers in recent times. Particularly with the arrogance of that lot, they won't like being squeezed into 2 sections, and it is reflected in our results against them both in the championship season and the 2 games we beat them last year

Hopefully we will get to a point when we can restrict all 3 as home demand is too high, the only way that will come about is a winning team on the park though, Aberdeen-like form for a few seasons running

Imagine 17k or 18k Hearts fans against a two sections of the Roseburn can't remember the capacity my bad.

It just gives us a feel of superiority strength in number and all that.

of course mate, not disagreeing with that. But will/can we get those numbers?

We'll see in time.

I just think a determined Hearts team full of spirit is the difference. There's many games we've kept 3500 away fans quiet.

Bazzas right boot

I wonder why thec old firm don't limit the amount of away fans on derby day. Oh aye, they want as many if their fans as possible to see the match.

Tbh, who gives a flying folk what the OF do in regards to fans. They are the last two teams in Britain we should be looking too for any matters to do with crowds/ fans.

Mars plastic

Tbh, who gives a flying folk what the OF do in regards to fans. They are the last two teams in Britain we should be looking too for any matters to do with crowds/ fans.

Can you set aside your hatred of the old firm and answer the post.

Or, replace old firm with the Manchester teams or Liverpool/Everton,

Completely baffling that some of our own fans would want to shut out our own fans for a home derby. If there's the demand we have to restrict their allocation. If hibs can get more fans in their ground for easter road then they should do that too. Our most loyal away fans will still get tickets

I'm all for restricting the old firm to two sections, as i've said all along but i'm going to fly against popular opinion on this slightly by asking the question....if we think part of the reason for this is to give us an edge at home, how on earth can one stand out perform three ?

In a perfect world ( Tynecastle ), this shouldn't happen surely ?

Is it all down to how we perform on the day ?

( Sorry, that's three questions ! )

Allowayjambo1874

I'm all for restricting the old firm to two sections, as i've said all along but i'm going to fly against popular opinion on this slightly by asking the question....if we think part of the reason for this is to give us an edge at home, how on earth can one stand out perform three ?

Away fans nearly always outsing and are more up for it than home fans. It's the same the other way round, spurs & Liverpool away we sung for pretty much 90 mins and very rarely did the home fans respond. I've not really answered your questions have I??

I agree.

Great words BB >> Let them hear us

Away fans nearly always outsing and are more up for it than home fans. It's the same the other way round, spurs & Liverpool away we sung for pretty much 90 mins and very rarely did the home fans respond. I've not really answered your questions have I??

No, but it was rhetorical anyway !

It is something that shouldn't happen though if the home support was as...em..." lively " as the away !

Buffalo Bill

Firstly, let me say that it is not always the case. If Isma had taken that glorious chance in the first two mins v Hibs last season, I doubt we would've had to have listened to an hour of drumming/singing from the Hibs fans. But as long as Hibs were in the game, their fans were loud and spurred them on.

To answer your question, there are several factors at play when one stand out performs three:

Firstly, it's a massive game for them, as it was for us. The Hibs travelling support that day was mostly made up of adults. There's no 'family' stand at play. It's a cup tie, alcohol is involved. They are up for it, it's a siege-like mentality. A lot of Hearts fans up for it too, but it was a home game, and a lot of home fans will sit there quietly waiting for something to happen. It's the same with every club up and down the country. If you watch the You Tube clip of Hearts fans singing 'Since I was Young' at ER at the end of 2013/14, then it's the same scenario: A wall of noise.

But the longer the game went on last season, the worse Hearts started to play. And bearing in mind what happened the previous season to that, Hearts fans started to get nervous, and withdrawn. On the pitch, Hibs weren't exactly dominating, but their fans got louder and louder aided by that that drummer.

Look at the Rangers game the previous week to that. They had two Roseburn sections. We ran over the top of them and I only heard them sing when they made it 1-1. But even then, it wasn't loud. When we pummelled them in the second half, we didn't hear a peep out of them. They looked more like a Dundee, Inverness, St Johnstone away allocation at that point. In fact there was only a few hundred left at the final whistle and then they all went mental at their own team. Quite frankly, it was hilarious to see them looking so...small, stuck in one corner.

So that's why I want to see Hearts fans in the Roseburn for big league matches, permanently.  

Firstly, let me say that it is not always the case. If Isma had taken that glorious chance in the first two mins v Hibs last season, I doubt we would've had to have listened to an hour of drumming/singing from the Hibs fans. But as long as Hibs were in the game, their fans were loud and spurred them on.

To answer your question, there are several factors at play when one stand out performs three:

Firstly, it's a massive game for them, as it was for us. The Hibs travelling support that day was mostly made up of adults. There's no 'family' stand at play. It's a cup tie, alcohol is involved. They are up for it, it's a siege-like mentality. A lot of Hearts fans up for it too, but it was a home game, and a lot of home fans will sit there quietly waiting for something to happen. It's the same with every club up and down the country. If you watch the You Tube clip of Hearts fans singing 'Since I was Young' at ER at the end of 2013/14, then it's the same scenario: A wall of noise.

But the longer the game went on last season, the worse Hearts started to play. And bearing in mind what happened the previous season to that, Hearts fans started to get nervous, and withdrawn. On the pitch, Hibs weren't exactly dominating, but their fans got louder and louder aided by that that drummer.

Look at the Rangers game the previous week to that. They had two Roseburn sections. We ran over the top of them and I only heard them sing when they made it 1-1. But even then, it wasn't loud. When we pummelled them in the second half, we didn't hear a peep out of them. They looked more like a Dundee, Inverness, St Johnstone away allocation at that point. In fact there was only a few hundred left at the final whistle and then they all went mental at their own team. Quite frankly, it was hilarious to see them looking so...small, stuck in one corner.

So that's why I want to see Hearts fans in the Roseburn for big league matches, permanently.  

:spoton:

:fth:

Since Celtic have only just released our tickets for CP today just TEN days before the game. Surely this means we can leave decisions about away allocations until a similar time before our Home games.

So if we are playing well they get two sections. If we are struggling to sell they can have what we don't want/need.

Absolutely no need to commit to any decisions at this point.

Mars plastic

Since Celtic have only just released our tickets for CP today just TEN days before the game. Surely this means we can leave decisions about away allocations until a similar time before our Home games.

So if we are playing well they get two sections. If we are struggling to sell they can have what we don't want/need.

Absolutely no need to commit to any decisions at this point.

Think you'll find we regularly put tickets on sale 10/11 days in advance.

Look at the Rangers game the previous week to that. They had two Roseburn sections. We ran over the top of them and I only heard them sing when they made it 1-1. But even then, it wasn't loud. When we pummelled them in the second half, we didn't hear a peep out of them. They looked more like a Dundee, Inverness, St Johnstone away allocation at that point. In fact there was only a few hundred left at the final whistle and then they all went mental at their own team. Quite frankly, it was hilarious to see them looking so...small, stuck in one corner.

A very good description of the Hibs and Rangers games, BB, and a good appraisal of how momentum in a game can swing either way....and affect the supports as it does so.

Maybe i'm alluding to another thing though. I'm not sure but is it cultural ? Is it unique to Scotland or even the UK ? I think we have to look at a bigger picture as concentrating solely on Hearts will give a biased view...nothing wrong with that mind !

Looking at the history of our game, I suppose it must be a cultural thing. A demand to be entertained rather than an atmosphere regardless of opposition.

In a perfect world...or another culture maybe...our home support should always be louder than the away as three times the support should matter.

I'm rambling.....to end, I agree about the reduction of the old firm allocation but have doubts on reducing Hibs...even accepting your earlier words.

Buffalo Bill

A very good description of the Hibs and Rangers games, BB, and a good appraisal of how momentum in a game can swing either way....and affect the supports as it does so.

Maybe i'm alluding to another thing though. I'm not sure but is it cultural ? Is it unique to Scotland or even the UK ? I think we have to look at a bigger picture as concentrating solely on Hearts will give a biased view...nothing wrong with that mind !

Looking at the history of our game, I suppose it must be a cultural thing. A demand to be entertained rather than an atmosphere regardless of opposition.

In a perfect world...or another culture maybe...our home support should always be louder than the away as three times the support should matter.

I'm rambling.....to end, I agree about the reduction of the old firm allocation but have doubts on reducing Hibs...even accepting your earlier words.

Cheers Boab. Forgetting 'atmosphere' for a moment, imagine we got to a position where we had 18,000 people regularly wanting to see us play at home. Should we tell some of them that they can't see a derby match because we should really give up the entire stand to Hibs?

If the demand is there, we should give it to our fans, our paying customers.

Archived