Berra

Zibi

joondalupjambo

Only 2 players have been great 2nd time with hearts Robbo and Rudi people did not rate Berra when he was here last time what's changed now !!!!!!!!

Can you define "great"?  What does it mean?   There are others who have returned, played well and be an asset to the team, e.g. Donald Park.  He was an honest pro who did his job well on both occasions he played for the club.  Eamon Bannon was another who did well for us on both his stints.

Does "great" mean winning something?  Robbo certainly banged them in and Rudi was, well we all know how good he was.   Berra could do a job for us second time around, wether he would be "great" or not is another matter.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bazzas right boot

i think you are missing the point. Handing out 3 year deals to a player like Martin who has had a somewhat nomadic, injury interupted career was a massive gamble and probably ill advised. You have to question both our scouting and management for how that has transpired. Is he a player? yes. Is he fast enough to ever play in Scotland? Never.

With Berra, you know what you are getting. There is no mystery about it and a 3 year deal to get him is IMO totally justified.

Each decision on its merit.

I agree, but folk can surley see why the club is being cautious, it's not another stick.

I agree, but folk can surley see why the club is being cautious, it's not another stick.

No, it makes no sense at all.

Bazzas right boot

He's what we need, solid, dependable, knows our game and is a Hearts man.

We don't need or want 5/6 Berra's, but we need folk that get us.

Hamilton, walker, Berra is a start, Whittaker would add to the list.

Add in the energy of isma and the experience of Hughes we have the beginnings of a spine.

Be great if Paterson stayed....

Cruyff Turn

He's what we need, solid, dependable, knows our game and is a Hearts man.

We don't need or want 5/6 Berra's, but we need folk that get us.

Hamilton, walker, Berra is a start, Whittaker would add to the list.

Add in the energy of isma and the experience of Hughes we have the beginnings of a spine.

Be great if Paterson stayed....

Berra and Whittaker are short term band aids.

I'd prefer we took a long term option and built a team that will last 3-4 years, especially in defence.

Whittaker could even play midfield. Has that in his locker Imo. I know we more desperately need fbs but he'd be a shrewd signing for his genuine versatility. I.e. He can really play right or left and very capable in cm. Not a square peg situ like we often do just now.

Be bloomin delighted if Berra and Whittaker signed. We'd be an LB and CF away from a solid team then.

Bazzas right boot

I'd prefer we took a long term option and built a team that will last 3-4 years, especially in defence.

3/4 experienced players in. The team is a good thing imo.

Then players like isma, walker, Souttar make up the rest.

Balance is important.

Would be a great signing. We absolutely will not sign a better CB than him.

Notts1874

This is no way in the know but I wouldn't be surprised if we have been looking at Tom Flanagan from the mighty Brewers.

McPhee knows him and can also play wing back on either side.

This is no way in the know but I wouldn't be surprised if we have been looking at Tom Flanagan from the mighty Brewers.

McPhee knows him and can also play wing back on either side.

Heard we have almost secured the Ayr captain.

Bob Loblaw

Berra is 32 and fit and healthy. Absolutely no reason he couldn't play 3/4 years at this level if he looks after himself.

Cruyff Turn

3/4 experienced players in. The team is a good thing imo.

Then players like isma, walker, Souttar make up the rest.

Balance is important.

Not too sure. Berra might be alright. Not much of a footballer though. Unsure about Whittaker.

They'd be wanting a hefty wedge, 3-4k a week minimum and at their age for a club like us I'm not sure if they'd be worth it. No sell on value and are past their peak. We've already been burnt with handing out long term deals on big wages to players who we thought would be decent coming back from England.

Cruyff Turn

Berra is 32 and fit and healthy. Absolutely no reason he couldn't play 3/4 years at this level if he looks after himself.

Don't doubt he could but does he fit the mould?

Ibrahim Tall

I would bet on every team in the Premiership and a couple in the Championship to regularly beat every team in Ireland. Our league is what it is, but the "no better than the Irish league" patter is cringeworthy.

This, the myth that Scottish football is in anyway comparable to the Welsh or either of the Irish leagues is nonsense. The top two in N Ireland and Wales getting pumped by the likes of Forfar and Livi this year in the Challenge Cup summed that up perfectly, TNS was the only team to even win a game and even then they got hammered by St Mirren.

Phil Dunphy

A step in the right direction, but I wonder what it would mean for Hughes or Souttar.

He's not going to come here to sit on the bench.

Pans Jambo

Someone with some passion. Scottish. Good player. Great pedigree. Knows the club. Could be a great captain.

Whats not to like?

i wish jj was my dad

Or they could be just what we need to stabilise the worst defence we've had in a generation and just as importantly stabilise the dressing room.

Berra would be the best centre back in the league outwith Celtic and the shape he is in he will be able to more than hold his own at this level for 3 years.  Whittaker is in pretty sound shape too.

If the club can pull both of these deals off or even just Berra I will be absolutely delighted. If you think a club on our budget has better options I'd love to hear it.  

socrates82

Good experienced player and current internationalist - would be a fantastic signing for many reasons.

Bungalow Bill

Good experienced player and current internationalist - would be a fantastic signing for many reasons.

Unless it doesn't work out then Levein must go!

Gordon Ramsay

We really need to pull this off.

He would tighten up the defence and getting a former jambo in might help reduce the negative vibe just now.

Would be a good signal of intent.

If this signing is confirmed I'll start feeling better about next season.

It's exactly the type of player we are missing and that's without mentioning his ability at all.

Finlay James

Are you saying that Levein must go if we miss out on signing Berra?

Berra would be an outstanding piece of business , but I just can't see it happening. Don't think we can come anywhere near what he will be offered elsewhere. We will be far to far away from what he will eventually get . You can file SW i under the same outcome ..

Off topic I heard that Makary Martin having his contract terminated by mutual consent at the end of the season and returning back to his family in France .

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Irish teams. Dundalk.

UCD Dublin. University. Played in the ROI Premier League.

Jamboscanbevicius

Hope this is true. Nicky Devlin is ready for a step up IMO. Would be a good signing at RB.

A_A wehatethehibs

It'd be a real tonic for the fans and statement of intent for next season if we can sign Berra. Would be a real boost for us. So many supporters just feel so deflated, it's disappointing to see the new stand going up but not to have that same excitement for the team. Signing our Captain back would go a long way to sewing the seeds of hope again

Rangers is not a smart move for him and I'm sure he knows that. Let's bring him home.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Care to explain?

Achieved far more in Europe than anyone other than Celtic. In recent times.

Gorillajam

Its not about money. Berra has been talking to us for a while.

Seems Aberdeen have made tentative enquiries to him joining them. Also hear they are set to table an offer for Lindsay from Patrick Thistle. if they do get Maloney, which seems unbelievable and these other two players then they will have improved their team tremendously. Hope none of this is true.

Bazzas right boot

If the pies get burn't, Levein must go!

Hope this is true. Nicky Devlin is ready for a step up IMO. Would be a good signing at RB.

I've seen devlin a few times over the last couple of years and I disagree with this devlin is nowhere near the standard we should be looking at. He has a good engine but is limited technically.

Re Berra I think this would be a very good signing, a leader and a very dependable defender both things we require.

19/05/2012

Think he is signing for Dundee Utd

Captain America

Seems Aberdeen have made tentative enquiries to him joining them. Also hear they are set to table an offer for Lindsay from Patrick Thistle. if they do get Maloney, which seems unbelievable and these other two players then they will have improved their team tremendously. Hope none of this is true.

Surely Aberdeen is out of the question for Berra, the whole reason he is moving back to Edinburgh is to be closer to his daughter so assuming he lives in Edinburgh he will be travelling for 5hrs a day in total.  

Gorillajam

Surely Aberdeen is out of the question for Berra, the whole reason he is moving back to Edinburgh is to be closer to his daughter so assuming he lives in Edinburgh he will be travelling for 5hrs a day in total.

You might be right but they have Logan whose family live in England and they let him have time off to go and see them so Edinburgh isn't such a journey to make if Berra did sign for them.

Carl Weathers

Aye, would be as well staying put!

You might be right but they have Logan whose family live in England and they let him have time off to go and see them so Edinburgh isn't such a journey to make if Berra did sign for them.

Depends if time off here and there is enough for him. Being in the same city is a lot more convenient

kingantti1874

Berra will be a hearts player in the next 24 hours according to the sum

Just read that.. good news

Mr Sifter

bb8ca7d20c1bab0cefc826cee9bcae12.png

To be fair though, if those *******s told me it was Tuesday, I'd still check.

I'll wait for the scarf above the heid myself!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walter Bishop

Decent signing, I suspect Ipswich will announce Calum Paterson in the next week or so.

Bungalow Bill

Are you saying that Levein must go if we miss out on signing Berra?

No I wasn't.

If the pies get burn't, Levein must go!

This guy gets it.

Morgaro Gomis

I'm pretty sure that the Sun have generally been spot on with Hearts transfer news over the past year or so, so, I'd be inclined to believe this.

Archived