Berra

Zibi

Ipswich have taken up a years extension on Christophe today. He would have been a good signing for us I reckon but it's time to move on and source new targets.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shame, aw Ra best to him though.

Unless we have another lined up we need to keep hughes now. Was decent before injury. Could argue we need someone who attacks the ball better to act as foil to Souttar but I dont mind the idea of Souttar-Hughes

Bazzas right boot

Hughes another year, Berra to replace him in a year, Hughes as coach.

My prediction.

Nae use next season tho.

i wish jj was my dad

Gutted at this. I'd no idea if it was ever a goer but he would have transformed the team

Ibrahim Tall

Doesn't sound that definite he's staying to be honest:

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/31603/mccarthy-confirms-town-to-exercise-options-on-chambers-and-berra-deals

Chambers was the subject of interest from his former club Nottingham Forest in January, while Berra has been repeatedly linked with one of his previous clubs, Hearts, along with Rangers.

?Their options will be exercised and then we can deal with it afterwards,? McCarthy said.

?Whether there?s any negotiation over and beyond that one-year option, that?s for them and their agents to talk to Marcus about.?

Has he had a chance to talk to them to find out whether they would like to stay? ?Chambo, of course [he would], but Christophe, it?s been well publicised that he has a commitment up in Edinburgh with his daughter and he?d like to be there. But we?ve an option on him.

Read it more as McCarthy has taken the option in the hope that they either talk him round or hopefully get atleast some sort of fee.

Hungry hippo

They might be trying to get a fee for him even if they sre prepared to let him move closer to home.

Ibrahim Tall

Doesn't sound that definite he's staying to be honest:

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/31603/mccarthy-confirms-town-to-exercise-options-on-chambers-and-berra-deals

Chambers was the subject of interest from his former club Nottingham Forest in January, while Berra has been repeatedly linked with one of his previous clubs, Hearts, along with Rangers.

?Their options will be exercised and then we can deal with it afterwards,? McCarthy said.

?Whether there?s any negotiation over and beyond that one-year option, that?s for them and their agents to talk to Marcus about.?

Has he had a chance to talk to them to find out whether they would like to stay? ?Chambo, of course [he would], but Christophe, it?s been well publicised that he has a commitment up in Edinburgh with his daughter and he?d like to be there. But we?ve an option on him.

Read it more as McCarthy has taken the option in the hope that they either talk him round or hopefully get atleast some sort of fee.

Ipswich fans seem to think similar.

http://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/404565/chambers-and-berras-options-being-taken-up..../#12

IMO I do not think going back to a club at the age he is and money he can still make is ever going to work.

If we can get Hughes for another year to bring Souttar through that would be great.

Hungry hippo

IMO I do not think going back to a club at the age he is and money he can still make is ever going to work.

If we can get Hughes for another year to bring Souttar through that would be great.

I love the idea of all three battling it out.

Deans Jambo

Could pay a fee for him. Or let them have Paterson and forego the development fee to get him

A deal I've always believed would make sense.

Dr Ian Malcolm

Folk who don't think Berra would improve our defence are insane. Has been a regular at a good level for years, is no sliuch and dominant in the air. Left sided too, and would provide great balance in the middle of defence alongside Souttar.

I'd be surprised if he isn't back next season.

Strange. Must be happy with Nowak and Avlonitis.

I'm sure they would've coped better against the might Lincoln city than Berra did, maybe it was just a one off but jesus wept looked like bambi on ice...terrible. Souttar every day of the week, develop young talent rather than trying to turn the clock back imo.

Might get him when he's 40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouldn't think he'd be much different at that point.

Was never really that keen on the idea anyway.

He might be better than what we've currently got, but he's no superstar. It's definitely a case of the maroon tinted "absence makes the heart grow fonder" glasses.

i wish jj was my dad

Was never really that keen on the idea anyway.

He might be better than what we've currently got, but he's no superstar. It's definitely a case of the maroon tinted "absence makes the heart grow fonder" glasses.

Nah.  Can't agree.  He's quick, solid and excellent in the air with plenty still to offer.

I'm not getting my hopes up but if we could get him it would be massive.

Clerry Jambo

Don't think this is the end of this yet.

Neither do I, Ipswich just looking after their own interests

The Treasurer

If, as is being suggested, Ipswich are only looking to pick up a fee by doing this, then the club have to ask themselves, can they get better elsewhere for the same price or less.

If the answer is no then, proved they are not looking for silly money, it could be a sound investment.

FarmerTweedy

Could pay a fee for him. Or let them have Paterson and forego the development fee to get him

Given that we're supposed to be due a development fee of around ?450k for Paterson, I don't think that would be likely. We'd effectively be paying a ?450k fee for Berra and I doubt we'd do that at his age.

Also, it will be up to Paterson to decide which, of any clubs that want to sign him, that he wants to join.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Given that we're supposed to be due a development fee of around ?450k for Paterson, I don't think that would be likely. We'd effectively be paying a ?450k fee for Berra and I doubt we'd do that at his age.

Also, it will be up to Paterson to decide which, of any clubs that want to sign him, that he wants to join.

Or McGhee doesn't get his option from Boro and they take him

Don't get the hype regarding Berra anyway.

He's been poor in the few games I've watched this season.

I'll be surprised if he's not plying his trade up here next season.

Good to see you back.

Clerry Jambo

I think he will defo come back up the road, but to which club is open to debate.

I would defo take him, liked him when he was coming through at Hearts and would be a solid signing for us

Morgaro Gomis

I'd expect him to sign for Rangers in honesty, the only club outwith Celtic who could get close to his wages.

Obviously hope I am wrong as I think he'd be an excellent signing. Brings the experience that Souttar needs, whilst still being at a decent age.

I have a feeling he will be playing in Glasgow next season. Would be brilliant to get him back though.

Signing Berra would be an indication of some understanding of the quality we really require. If he went anywhere else in Scotland it would be embarrassing considering how much noise we made in January.

Archived