Berra

Zibi

King Of The Cat Cafe

Things can only get Berra

A lot of people on here are saying that Berra is the future for Hearts.  But you know what?  the future  ain't what it used to be.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic news. Hopefully it goes through - why are we haggling over contract length given we dished out a 3 year deal to Cowie age 33 :D 

Ferryjambo99

Gray signs new contract with hibs, puts an end to any speculation of us looking for him

Hearts007
Ferryjambo99, on 09 May 2017 - 1:08 PM, said:

Gray signs new contract with hibs, puts an end to any speculation of us looking for him

Or Whittaker going to the Hobos

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Both delightful bits of news :)

Agreed. Who would want a Hibs Scottish Cup winner in Hearts' team?

:cornette:

Back to 2005

Not that it's really relevant to whether he's good enough for Hearts but that bit about goals per cap has to be utter nonsense. A quick Google shows Scotland have conceded 45 goals in his 35 caps, there will be players with much worse records than that.

As is the bit about getting them relegated 2 years in a row...

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Too many over 30's might not be a good thing. Somebody to win the ball in the air and lead  though . Hoorah!!!!!!

bringonthesevco

Would love it if he came here.

A back two of Berra and Soutar or a back three of Berra Soutar Hughes would be great for next season. If Soutar doesn't become a player he can't blame Hearts for not helping him enough as those are two good experienced guys to be learning from.

Rangers will no doubt offer him about double the money we can so it is no way a done deal.

I think Berra and Soutar would be excellent but moving to a back 2 would be a bit too adventurous for my liking ...

KineticBeat

I think Berra and Soutar would be excellent but moving to a back 2 would be a bit too adventurous for my liking ...

Nah dude 2-5-3 is the formation of the future. I hear it is working really well for Cathro on his Football Manager save and everything haha. 

Or I should have worded it "CB pairing of". Either, or.

bauld willie

I remember him as a youngster and he was a really good if uninspiring player.

With age he would a standout here, although he's not looked that clever in the Scotland team.

He may see his future in management, which may be another reason he would see here as a good place to be.

It would be a shame to have a quality defender again, just to have an embarrassment of a keeper behind him however.

Hope this comes off.

Italian Lambretta

Someone had just sent me a photo of someone that looks Berra on the pitch with levein.

It's not clear enough so I'll reserve judgement

Agreed. Who would want a Hibs Scottish Cup winner in Hearts' team?

:cornette:

Not me anyway.

Someone had just sent me a photo of someone that looks Berra on the pitch with levein.

It's not clear enough so I'll reserve judgement

Post it?

Italian Lambretta

Don't know how too. We'll find out soon enough

Post it?

letsalldothebeattie

Who would people rather have, Berra or Whittaker? It's a close call.

Berra easy. We need quality in at centre back and Berra is that. Whittaker is a decent player I would take him too but given the choice Berra in for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who would people rather have, Berra or Whittaker? It's a close call.

Got to be Berra but would be ecstatic with both.

Hearts007

Got to be Berra but would be ecstatic with both.

Yep they would be decent signings

Only 2 players have been great 2nd time with hearts Robbo and Rudi people did not rate Berra when he was here last time what's changed now !!!!!!!!

Winston Ingram

Only 2 players have been great 2nd time with hearts Robbo and Rudi people did not rate Berra when he was here last time what's changed now !!!!!!!!

The opposition is weaker?

Whether people rated him or not shouldn't be relevant... he has since played basically every week, 300 games over seven years, in a better league than the Scottish Premiership. 

Morgaro Gomis

You actually can't be serious, can you? You must be on the wind up.

Captain America

Andy Webster won the cup in his 2nd time round, i count that as pretty decent.

Dr Ian Malcolm

Who the hell didn't rate him? He was club captain, our best defender and was sold for seven figures.

the_jailer

Colquhoun,McPherson

Andy Webster won the cup in his 2nd time round, i count that as pretty decent.

The most obvious example would be JC.

How many players have come back and played twice for us? Of that number how many have succeeeded? What's the ratio of success?

Ta

Yeah, only two :phface:

aye, or was at one time......a former workmate of mine from Gorebridge(where SWs from) knows his family.

Up til a few years ago his sister(s) were season ticket holders at Tynecastle. May well still be.

I know it's only a couple of miles away but sure Steven is a Bonnyrigg lad. His old man definitely a Jambo.Steven himself never showed his colours. However would you confirm you were a Jambo. While playing for the other lot at the time. Seems a good lad though and would take in a minute.

Jamie Borthwick tweeting. We are hopeful of signing him but no done deal yet.

Also said there are other clubs keen to talk to him.

Money is not a big factor according to Jamie

Captain Lithuania

Colquhoun,McPherson

I would also say Adrian Mrowiec was better second time around.

Jambotommy

Jamie Borthwick tweeting. We are hopeful of signing him but no done deal yet.

Also said there are other clubs keen to talk to him.

Money is not a big factor according to Jamie

Please make this happen...we really need some optimism here...

jambos are go!

Jose Goncalves came back from Nuremburg a much improved player. Big Dave Macpherson went to Rangers and came back at least as good.

No longer active

How many players have come back and played twice for us? Of that number how many have succeeeded? What's the ratio of success?

Ta

Mauricio Pinilla played twice for us if my memory is correct. He was a good signing - no?

Livvyjambo

The standard of football is a tad off Irish league outwith Celtic , Berra will make a massive difference here after playing down south for the last 7 yrs .

The standard of football is a tad off Irish league outwith Celtic , Berra will make a massive difference here after playing down south for the last 7 yrs .

I'll be delighted if he signs but you could have said the same about Conor Salmon. People under estimate our like as like Cathro has.

socrates82

I would bet on every team in the Premiership and a couple in the Championship to regularly beat every team in Ireland. Our league is what it is, but the "no better than the Irish league" patter is cringeworthy. 

King Of The Cat Cafe

This saga has been going on for a while now. Clearly it ain't over till it's over.

Bazzas right boot

People who openly admit we have handed out too many three year deals now questioning why we are hesitant in handing another put?

For real.

The reason is the deals we have handed out have bit us on the arse, so we are being more careful.

I Agree, give him it but ffs give the club a break, getting slagged for handing out three year deals on some threads, then getting ripped for not handing them out on another!

Morgaro Gomis

I would bet on every team in the Premiership and a couple in the Championship to regularly beat every team in Ireland. Our league is what it is, but the "no better than the Irish league" patter is cringeworthy.

Whilst I don't overly disagree with the sentiment of your post - when was the last time we had a team, other than Celtic, in the group stage of the Europa League?

I'll be delighted if he signs but you could have said the same about Conor Salmon. People under estimate our like as like Cathro has.

Personally, I said at the time Sammon was a shit signing, as did many others.

Berra, I think could be decent. He has held his own at a higher level for some time now.

Berra would be a great signing for us. If we pull it off I would be delighted. 32 for an experienced centre half is not old and he could bring on soutter game on.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thought Police

Clint Hill leaving Rangers

So it begins...

jambo in iraq

People who openly admit we have handed out too many three year deals now questioning why we are hesitant in handing another put?

For real.

The reason is the deals we have handed out have bit us on the arse, so we are being more careful.

I Agree, give him it but ffs give the club a break, getting slagged for handing out three year deals on some threads, then getting ripped for not handing them out on another!

i think you are missing the point. Handing out 3 year deals to a player like Martin who has had a somewhat nomadic,  injury interupted career was a massive gamble and probably ill advised. You have to question both our scouting and management for how that has transpired. Is he a player? yes. Is he fast enough to ever play in Scotland? Never. 

With Berra, you know what you are getting. There is no mystery about it and a 3 year deal to get him is IMO totally justified.

Each decision on its merit.

jambo in iraq

So it begins...

TBH i have a really crap feeling that Rangers will offer far better money than us, if they want him then i doubt there will be much we can do. :(

Hendricks

So it begins...

I can actually see several players linked to Hearts going to Rangers in addition to a couple of current Hearts players moving to Rangers. To be honest that just shows how gash Rangers are and the level they are operating these days. That they consider them good enough speaks volumes and they will remain a million miles behind Celtic. It also means that if Hearts recruit correctly and with the right people in charge we could quite easily challenge them throughout the season. The problem is I have little confidence that we will or do!

Notts1874

TBH i have a really crap feeling that Rangers will offer far better money than us, if they want him then i doubt there will be much we can do. :(

Its not about money. Berra has been talking to us for a while.

For real.

Berra is a proven player at this standard and down South. He's not unproven like many of the gash given long term deals.

I refuse to believe that Berra has contacted Hearts, saying money isn't an issue he wants to sign and wants three years and the club turned round and said they're no sure. That simply hasn't happened imo.

Archived