Berra

Zibi

bauld willie

No not living in a bubble but I know that you are putting a negative spin on a positive move by the club. There are plenty reasons to have a go at Cathro you don't need to invent things.

I have no doubt that Levein, Cathro and Mcphee had a hand in the transfer.

Of course they had a hand in it, they would simply have to approve it. Even Cathro is not going to reject a player of Berra's quality, who wants to come here.

Please stop trying to put this signing down to Cathro and put you own slant on this.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lord Beni of Gorgie

Are you living in a bubble?

Ipswich manager laid out the reasons why they are reluctantly letting him go.

He is coming home for family reasons and it is the exact same reasoning that he nearly came to us last year.

So because Berra wants to live in Edinburgh we were obliged to sign him, it was mandatory? Am I understanding you properly?

It's not shite to say jacks whole career can't be written off based on his first season where he has had to play behind 6 center halves, many of whom have been bombscares

First of all disagree with any one booing a youngish player. His confidence must be shot already and won't help.

However on this season's form JH is nowhere near good enough.

Put out on loan for next season. If improvement enough bring back if not release.

bauld willie

Again were you at the event?

I'm not defending Cathro's tactics but, the event showed the players are doing what the mgt team want them to do, albeit not to the standards required.

The results have been shocking, it's being addressed. The club made a huge mess in the January window and will hopefully correct it in the summer, in fact they need to.

The tactics aren't complicated.

There is another thread for that

bauld willie

So because Berra wants to live in Edinburgh we were obliged to sign him, it was mandatory? Am I understanding you properly?

Try and spin it any way you like, but Berra wanted to be home for family reasons, and he had significant ties with Hearts. This nearly happened last year as well.

Good jambo Berra and will make an excellent captain.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

First of all disagree with any one booing a youngish player. His confidence must be shot already and won't help.

However on this season's form JH is nowhere near good enough.

Put out on loan for next season. If improvement enough bring back if not release.

I agree. We have had a good look, he hasn't performed to the standard required. Instead of improving he has gone backwards. I thought he would be ropy to begin with and be steady toward the end, the opposite has been the case. Defensive changes don't help, but he makes poor decisions more than anything. Go and make those decisions playing for Dundee or Motherwell, or whoever fancies a loan. Championship would be pointless though

Of course they had a hand in it, they would simply have to approve it. Even Cathro is not going to reject a player of Berra's quality, who wants to come here.

Please stop trying to put this signing down to Cathro and put you own slant on this.

I suggest you stop digging pal. Just because Berra wanted to come back to Edinburgh doesn't mean that he was always going to sign for Hearts. Do you not think he has spoken to Cathro at all?

You are using this to have a dig at Cathro and there are plenty of other threads for that.

i think you are missing the point. Handing out 3 year deals to a player like Martin who has had a somewhat nomadic,  injury interupted career was a massive gamble and probably ill advised. You have to question both our scouting and management for how that has transpired. Is he a player? yes. Is he fast enough to ever play in Scotland? Never. 

With Berra, you know what you are getting. There is no mystery about it and a 3 year deal to get him is IMO totally justified.

Each decision on its merit.

Yes, totally agree and you could add Oshaniwa, Reilly and Rherras to Martin.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Try and spin it any way you like, but Berra wanted to be home for family reasons, and he had significant ties with Hearts. This nearly happened last year as well.

Good jambo Berra and will make an excellent captain.

I'm not spinning anything, I am asking you, hence the question mark. I agree it is a great signing regardless, but why would Hearts have to sign Berra, who do you think signed him and why?

**** right off. He's a complete ******* carthorse. Tidy wife according to McInnes though!!

Exactly the sort of player we need. A no nonsense defender.

I wonder if Berra will get booed when he comes back by some of our wonderful fans for having the cheek and the nerve to try himself at a higher level.

He'll probably come on here and boo your posts because they're *** shite.

Bungalow Bill

There is another thread for that

Yeah i know that, I asked because it was relevant to your post.

Exactly the sort of player we need. A no nonsense defender.

Ash Taylor? Seriously? 

I don't rate him at all, always seems the weak link in Aberdeens defence. He's big but has very little ability IMO.

Clark Griswold

Not long before a thread starts for Ryan Gauld

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We'll be about ?100,000 plus short in wages to attract him to our club.....................if only we could have saved that money from somewhere else

We could get rid of a couple of Left Backs and then problem solved. In fact we would have a bit of spare cash left over.

Nowak is certainly no world beater but he's contracted until 2018 and isn't the worst 4 choice CB. That is assuming he would accept being here as so.

Souttar has all the potential in the world and one who would benefit immensely from a Hughes or a Berra beside him. You can't expect 20 year old CB's to not have dips in form and the possible long term benefits far outway the risks.

Rossi got an offer we would never have been able to even come close to matching. That offer plus the fee we received meant he was always gonna go.

Novak has shown passion which everyone on here says is missing. His beating the ground in frustration after he miss hit his pass to Struna showed that.

He was also accomplished as a Defensive Midfield and could pass the ball. Lost himself when dropped to accommodate January imports and put into poor back four.

As for Hamilton, yes he lost first goal on Sunday but his saves in other games far outweigh that one. Patrick game he saved defensive

blushes with 2 or 3 very good saves. His confidence is low and part of reason,in my opinion, is his kicking. But he is put under a lot of pressure by our back four and midfield. They play the ball slowly about then when pressurised pass it back and Hamilton is confronted by opposition who are already running to close down outfield players. We are playing much nearer Jack and he has less time than he had when coming through as a youngster. Let's see how he does next year.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Would be another exciting one tbh.

rudi must stay

Ash Taylor? Seriously?

I don't rate him at all, always seems the weak link in Aberdeens defence. He's big but has very little ability IMO.

I liked him from the 1-0 game a few months ago at Tynecastle but on Sunday he had some dodgy moments. Didn't look very commanding either, don't think he would improve us

Ipswich have a deal where they can take an option on him for another year.

Surely deals have to work for both parties involved? If Berra doesn't want to stay then he will not agree to sign the option.

Alwayssunnyingorgie

Done deal to come to Hearts, be announced in the coming days.

Don't listen to this poster.

Prove it. :lol:

I was on the piss take earlier :D

BelgeJambo

Would take him before Scott Allen

Be shocked if this never happened.

I remember the poster on here who had been sent a text message by Berra in January saying he knew nothing about a move to Hearts. Thinking about it now, with what we know about the option that was in the contract, Christophe couldn't let anything out of the bag. He's a professional and was behaving like one.

He wants to come back to Edinburgh. He's a Hearts supporter. The club knows they need to sign a few players of his ilk and fast.

As I say, shocked if it doesn't happen.

I also know of a guy who knows Steven Whittakers dad. 2 clubs in Scotland have approached him. Rangers and......Hearts. All things being equal, you'd assume Rangers would be favourites but apparently there is some ill feeling over the way he was treated upon leaving Ibrox when they were liquidated. We'll see.

I believe Whittaker is a Jambo or was as a boy. Sign him and we'll have Dad's Army at the back.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39855613

Christophe Berra: Defender leaving Ipswich Town to move closer to Scotland

The only slight concern after reading this is that it suggest he is moving north but not exactly where.

Ipswich had the option to extend Berra's deal for a further 12 months, but agreed not to take it up to allow him to return closer to home.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Surely deals have to work for both parties involved? If Berra doesn't want to stay then he will not agree to sign the option.

Ipswich said today he's moving on for personal reasons. They've clearly come to some agreement on the basis that he really doesn't want to stay. Not much use to them in that frame of mind

I liked him from the 1-0 game a few months ago at Tynecastle but on Sunday he had some dodgy moments. Didn't look very commanding either, don't think he would improve us

He would be an improvement on Nowak if as expected he leaves. Berra, Hughes, Souttar and Taylor would give us decent options at CB.

Novak has shown passion which everyone on here says is missing. His beating the ground in frustration after he miss hit his pass to Struna showed that.

He was also accomplished as a Defensive Midfield and could pass the ball. Lost himself when dropped to accommodate January imports and put into poor back four.

As for Hamilton, yes he lost first goal on Sunday but his saves in other games far outweigh that one. Patrick game he saved defensive

blushes with 2 or 3 very good saves. His confidence is low and part of reason,in my opinion, is his kicking. But he is put under a lot of pressure by our back four and midfield. They play the ball slowly about then when pressurised pass it back and Hamilton is confronted by opposition who are already running to close down outfield players. We are playing much nearer Jack and he has less time than he had when coming through as a youngster. Let's see how he does next year.

Agree with this. Novak has shown a commitment, desire and determination not many players at the club are showing. He may not ever play at a higher level but thats not a bad thing. He's an excellent squad player to have around (likewise with Buaben). Having a degree of continuity is important especially with the volume of changes we are planning to make.

Novak may in time become one of our key players, he has only turned 23 and for a centrehalf thats still quite young.

Good, but it makes you wonder if it's Levein or Cathro that want him, perhaps both, I get the feeling it's another one of Leveins targets, doesn't matter in this case as it'll be a good signing for us but long term any future new signings should really be Cathros.

WTF does it matter whose signing it is?

When a player of Berra's calibre (in relation to what we can afford) becomes available I would have thought it would be a matter of discussion between Levein, Cathro and McPhee as to whether we should bid, with the final decision being Cathro's.  I would also hope he will listen to what/who McPhee might recommend as there is no point in having a lieutenant if he is not trusted.

All we supporters (note that word) need worry about is whether they are good enough for us or not.

Apparently the agreement was made when both parties wanted it, so Berra would be bound by it. Obviously as Ipswich have been gid ***** and let him come back up here its now a moot point.

Fantastic news. Hopefully it goes through - why are we haggling over contract length given we dished out a 3 year deal to Cowie age 33 :D

Cowie is one of our better performers I would rather you had said Oshaniwa, Reilly, Sammon, Rherras or Martin who were all given 3 year deals.

Cowie is one of our better performers I would rather you had said Oshaniwa, Reilly, Sammon, Rherras or Martin who were all given 3 year deals.

We are creating an experienced spine for next season, Hughes & Berra at the back, Cowie in midfield, a commanding goalkeeper and a goalscorer up front and we are on our way

Boyce would be my preferred option for striker

The issue was age, not ability. I was pointing out that we were prepared to dish out a 3 year deal to a 32 year old that was 33 the following month, whilst the post I was referencing was claiming that the primary hold up with Berra was contract length.

But yeah, those 5 were car crash deals :o 

Tynecastlesmychurch

Looks like he's coming

Hughes Berra Souttar 3 man defence

If that's the way we are playing ie 343 then I'd like to think we'd have 5 rather than 4 Centre backs on the books. Maybe Meekings as well?

If that's the way we are playing ie 343 then I'd like to think we'd have 5 rather than 4 Centre backs on the books. Maybe Meekings as well?

Agree we could do with another. Like that. Someone physical as back up.

Malcolm Tucker

He would be an improvement on Nowak if as expected he leaves. Berra, Hughes, Souttar and Taylor would give us decent options at CB.

This is a poor wind-up.

The issue was age, not ability. I was pointing out that we were prepared to dish out a 3 year deal to a 32 year old that was 33 the following month, whilst the post I was referencing was claiming that the primary hold up with Berra was contract length.

But yeah, those 5 were car crash deals :o

I take your point however in Cowie's case I don't think his age was a barrier to his energy levels. He is a very fit lad and has obviously looked after himself and as we can all see he puts a lot of effort into games and puts some of the other player to shame wih the way he covers the ground. That was my point really. Some players are well beyond their best at Cowies's age but I personally had no issue with the 3 year deal for him compared to the others I mentioned.

I would imagine and hope that Berra assuming we sign him falls into that category also.

Nowak is under contract until the summer of 2018. He could still leave of course but I would rather see a few more exit before him.

Nowak is under contract until the summer of 2018. He could still leave of course but I would rather see a few more exit before him.

Better or at least gives options in midfield as well

This is a poor wind-up.

From what I have seen from Taylor he is better than Hughes and Souttar. McIness rates him which is good enough for me.

Winston Ingram

Agree with this. Novak has shown a commitment, desire and determination not many players at the club are showing. He may not ever play at a higher level but thats not a bad thing. He's an excellent squad player to have around (likewise with Buaben). Having a degree of continuity is important especially with the volume of changes we are planning to make.

Novak may in time become one of our key players, he has only turned 23 and for a centrehalf thats still quite young.

Would second the point of him looking far better when a midfield player. 

Mars plastic

Are folk suggesting Ash Taylor wouldn't be a good signing? The same Ash Taylor who is a certain starter in a team that finished a zillion points in front of us this season? He's the size of a house and not much gets past him. Comes and attacks the bell like a CH should.

There were folk on here saying SPL top scorer Boyce wasn't the kind of player we should be looking at. Folk on here have delusions of grandeur beyond belief.

BonningtonJambo

Are folk suggesting Ash Taylor wouldn't be a good signing? The same Ash Taylor who is a certain starter in a team that finished a zillion points in front of us this season? He's the size of a house and not much gets past him. Comes and attacks the bell like a CH should.

There were folk on here saying SPL top scorer Boyce wasn't the kind of player we should be looking at. Folk on here have delusions of grandeur beyond belief.

Id take ash taylor everything were missing at the back hes got

Malcolm Tucker

From what I have seen from Taylor he is better than Hughes and Souttar. McIness rates him which is good enough for me.

Ash Taylor is nowhere near as good as the above. Also worse than Ozturk, Augustyn, Rossi, probably Wilson as well. Considine is a better CB than him too.

Mars plastic

Ash Taylor is nowhere near as good as the above. Also worse than Ozturk, Augustyn, Rossi, probably Wilson as well. Considine is a better CB than him too.

I'm afraid that is utter drivel.

Seymour M Hersh

Away and support the codeheids then if you hang on that we shitehouse's every word.

Jean Louis Valois

Eh ok, so why is considine always played at left back

Fxxx the SPFL

Aberdeen fans at my work can't wait to get rid of Ash Taylor fwiw.

Mars plastic

Aberdeen fans at my work can't wait to get rid of Ash Taylor fwiw.

You can't be all things to all people.

Malcolm Tucker

Eh ok, so why is considine always played at left back

Out of necessity. They haven't recruited a good left-back (like us) for a while, and Shinnie has shown himself to be one of the best centre-midfielder's in the league.

Seriously, watch Ash Taylor in more games than just the few against us. He's not very good at all.

Taylor would have the pitchfork brigade out in weeks. Dire footballer. Hope we're looking at better than that. 

Archived