Meet the Management event

RS86

Bungalow Bill

No need for the "happy" comment. I was pointing out that we have some young players that are included in the squad but hardly ever get a chance.

Currie in particular gets a few games a while back and then he scores a hat-trick against Aberdeen and is not even in the squad in the next game.

Ok there could be the argument that now is not a good time to play younger players but nothing ventured nothing gained.

Who's fault is it then that the majority are not good enough?

If you want you can re-read the original post you responded to. The academy had a significant gap in youth players due to under investment by the previous regime.

So in answer to your question, the reason the under 20's are not good enough is down to the previous owners.

I'll also point out that Currie didn't come through the academy and was signed to fill one of the many gaps in the under 20's squad.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bazzas right boot

Why did we give him a 3 year deal then?

Ffs, because we knew that about Sammon before he came to Tynecastle?

Have a think about it.

eduardo.j

No one seemed angry last night, frustrated yes but not angry.

Social media is not a good gauge of opinion! See the thing is, most people (away from their keyboards) are reasonable and intelligent. In the main, people understand that making an arse of yourself where people can see who you are isn't a good way to express your opinion. Case in point was the plane hirers!

The girl who spoke passionately about how she felt at Easter Road was a great example to many on here how to conduct yourself and express your frustrations in the correct way. Unfortunately, because someone chose to butt in and had a rant her question wasn't directly answered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I completely agree with your points hence why I stay away from kickback after bad results as it's just pathetic at times.

Tbf it's just my opinion but as I've said events to raise funds are fine but this one just irked me a bit, those that went seem to have came away happy enough.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

3fingersreid

They didn't really mention specific players that were not up to it, I don't suppose they could. They did reference our "stock-piling of left backs" and that the millionaire with 70+ caps for Greece hadn't exactly worked out as they'd hoped, specifically citing the game at Easter Road as one he just didn't have the attitude or desire for.

So why do they persevere with said millionaire when they should be giving Martin game time to adapt , play the captain, move Cowie back and bring in Currie ,anything but why play someone who isn't working out , seems strange .

Jambo 4 Ever

Thanks to those who have provided updates.

I am assuming from what have read is most of those on short term deals aren't going to be here next season so that is a good thing.

The Isma question i think is a fair one, lost count of amount of one on ones he has missed this season. 

Did anyone who attended last night who was in a Cathro out position change their position from listening to the management team? 

After last night, I am now of the opinion that Cathro and MacPhee should stay and be given atleast until the New Year to prove themselves.  Before last night, I had started to sway towards the Cathro out position.

I would urge all other real fans to support them now - they are not going anywhere, no matter what we think.

As I have said before, it is also clear that they WANT to be here which is the sort of thing we need from the players we get in now too.  And they talked about bringing more Scottish/British based players that fans can identify with which can only be a good thing

Nookie Bear

They didn't really mention specific players that were not up to it, I don't suppose they could.  They did reference our "stock-piling of left backs" and that the millionaire with 70+ caps for Greece hadn't exactly worked out as they'd hoped, specifically citing the game at Easter Road as one he just didn't have the attitude or desire for.  

What was the reference to the Greek millionaire all about?

And, if they said he didn't have the attitude or desire for the Easter Road game, why the hell has he kicked a ball for us since?? That's the kind of man-management that appears to pass Cathro by.

Jambo 4 Ever

What was the reference to the Greek millionaire all about?

And, if they said he didn't have the attitude or desire for the Easter Road game, why the hell has he kicked a ball for us since?? That's the kind of man-management that appears to pass Cathro by.

Tsolis?

Nookie Bear

After last night, I am now of the opinion that Cathro and MacPhee should stay and be given atleast until the New Year to prove themselves.  Before last night, I had started to sway towards the Cathro out position.

I would urge all other real fans to support them now - they are not going anywhere, no matter what we think.

As I have said before, it is also clear that they WANT to be here which is the sort of thing we need from the players we get in now too.  And they talked about bringing more Scottish/British based players that fans can identify with which can only be a good thing

Morgan's attitude towards you last night was bugging me but see when you start using lines like "...urge all other real fans to support them now", you can sod off, frankly.

I'll support Hearts, not Cathro or MacPhee. No abuse outside of JKB, just the expectation that they need to put their fine words into practice.

KineticBeat

I was gutted I couldn't go to this last night. Sounds like it was a good event. 

Although I haven't been happy with what's happened since January, I was always a "give him until December 2017" guy. 

The fact that Cathro and Austin can talk a good game is not breaking news. The club seem to be pointing at player recruitment as what has gone wrong this season (our past 2 transfer windows have been pretty horrendous). It's a big big summer which will either make or break this management team. 

Hopefully they can get the players in to play the system we want and next season is one to remember (for good reasons). 

So why do they persevere with said millionaire when they should be giving Martin game time to adapt , play the captain, move Cowie back and bring in Currie ,anything but why play someone who isn't working out , seems strange .

First of all Currie is not ready for regular first team football.  They obviously rate him hence the 3 year deal he signed recently, but he'd not ready to start.

I'm not sure what the issue with Kitchen is, no-one asked to be fair and it wasn't brought up.  Reading these forums opinion is fairly split on Kitchen, so bringing him back in would raise the same question you ask but about him.  No-one brought up Martin either, you should have asked! 

Captain America

They didn't really mention specific players that were not up to it, I don't suppose they could.  They did reference our "stock-piling of left backs" and that the millionaire with 70+ caps for Greece hadn't exactly worked out as they'd hoped, specifically citing the game at Easter Road as one he just didn't have the attitude or desire for.  

The current LB and the Greek you refer to is the 2 I want first out the exit door so glad they have the same way of thinking on that. 

Bazzas right boot

Stock piling left backs....

It's not funny because it's true.

Supprised no one mentioned Martin, Rherras or Kitchen.

Morgan's attitude towards you last night was bugging me but see when you start using lines like "...urge all other real fans to support them now", you can sod off, frankly.

I'll support Hearts, not Cathro or MacPhee. No abuse outside of JKB, just the expectation that they need to put their fine words into practice.

Exactly.

Being a supporter isn't just about positive support or happy clapping your way through times when desire are missing.

Sometimes, as we know in life generally, you have to be cruel to be kind.

I don't think it's a bad thing the recent disdain shown and heard around Tynecastle. Cathro has been bought time with the close season approaching as it is.

People will cool off during this time and while maybe still not wholly behind IC, they will give the team a chance at the start of next season.

3fingersreid

First of all Currie is not ready for regular first team football. They obviously rate him hence the 3 year deal he signed recently, but he'd not ready to start.

I'm not sure what the issue with Kitchen is, no-one asked to be fair and it wasn't brought up. Reading these forums opinion is fairly split on Kitchen, so bringing him back in would raise the same question you ask but about him. No-one brought up Martin either, you should have asked!

Couldn't go was working (and to be honest if I wasn't I still wouldn't have gone.)

Fair enough with Currie and I get the division on Kitchen but it doesn't change the fact he had a dig at a player yet they continue to use him , maybe a contractual thing?

OmiyaHearts

Sounded like a worthwhile event and credit to the management for doing it. Maybe it's the start of repairing the relationship between the fans to the club.

It seems they understand or at least acknowledge the issues and concerns we have, and they are looking to address it.

I really hope Cathro and the team can sort this mess out. I'm not a fan of him (yet) but he's definitely here for the forthcoming season. So fingers crossed he gets the players he wants and we have a season to look forward to.

Still have a niggling feeling it's all going to go wrong though. So hopefully I'm totally wide of the mark.

3fingersreid

After last night, I am now of the opinion that Cathro and MacPhee should stay and be given atleast until the New Year to prove themselves. Before last night, I had started to sway towards the Cathro out position.

As I have said before, it is also clear that they WANT to be here which is the sort of thing we need from the players we get in now too. And they talked about bringing more Scottish/British based players that fans can identify with which can only be a good thing

Thought the comments you took last night was bang out of order but " real fans" comments ain't going to help mate

Ivan Drago

I was gutted I couldn't go to this last night. Sounds like it was a good event.

Although I haven't been happy with what's happened since January, I was always a "give him until December 2017" guy.

The fact that Cathro and Austin can talk a good game is not breaking news. The club seem to be pointing at player recruitment as what has gone wrong this season (our past 2 transfer windows have been pretty horrendous). It's a big big summer which will either make or break this management team.

Hopefully they can get the players in to play the system we want and next season is one to remember (for good reasons).

Exactly, Gary Neville can talk a good game and we all saw how that worked out...

I would think that it's probably contractual. Players of his caliber don't normally come to places like Hearts unless we can offer them something. He was in dispute with his previous club and not playing. We're restricted with cash so giving him the platform to play, keep his fitness and his international place.

Couldn't go was working (and to be honest if I wasn't I still wouldn't have gone.)

Fair enough with Currie and I get the division on Kitchen but it doesn't change the fact he had a dig at a player yet they continue to use him , maybe a contractual thing?

I don't know why he keeps playing Tzoilis, but for whatever reason he obviously doesn't like Kitchen, not the first manager to just not fancy a player.   I think it's quite clear that the management team are as frustrated as us fans are.  

This might have been discussed already, but the fan who tried to justify our past success in signing foreign players by mentioning  Skacel and Fyssas.  Yes these guys were great players and we would all  love to have players of that calibre at the club nowadays, but getting players in like that on the wages they command nearly killed our club.  Not their fault as individuals, but we can no longer recruit players outwith our means like that.

I couldn't believe someone would actually bring that up!

Jambo 4 Ever

Thought the comments you took last night was bang out of order but " real fans" comments ain't going to help mate

Only my opinion but fair enough.  I would take back the "real" part then - I just think we should support them between now and the end of 2017... especially as it is clear they are not going anywhere for now

Q&A session with a manager that's sent us backwards isn't a good fundraiser.

let's also be honest about cathro the guys came here with far more experience than Neilson had when he took over, the difference so far seems like night and day though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It near sold out snowflake - deal with it.

Jambo 4 Ever

This might have been discussed already, but the fan who tried to justify our past success in signing foreign players by mentioning  Skacel and Fyssas.  Yes these guys were great players and we would all  love to have players of that calibre at the club nowadays, but getting players in like that on the wages they command nearly killed our club.  Not their fault as individuals, but we can no longer recruit players outwith our means like that.

yeh I cringed when they asked that - he actually walked all the way from the back of the room to ask it too! 

Bungalow Bill

I don't know why he keeps playing Tzoilis, but for whatever reason he obviously doesn't like Kitchen, not the first manager to just not fancy a player. I think it's quite clear that the management team are as frustrated as us fans are.

My view on Kitchen is that he doesn't meet the criteria of the 'spare midfielder' role Cathro spoke about last night.

They want a player who is brave with regards to taking chances with the ball etc. That's how I interpreted it. Kitchen can pass the ball 5-6 yards but anything outside this range he doesn't have in his locker, hence why Tzilos (sp) has been preferred.

Again, this is just my interpretation.

Geoff Kilpatrick

This might have been discussed already, but the fan who tried to justify our past success in signing foreign players by mentioning Skacel and Fyssas. Yes these guys were great players and we would all love to have players of that calibre at the club nowadays, but getting players in like that on the wages they command nearly killed our club. Not their fault as individuals, but we can no longer recruit players outwith our means like that.

Point taken on wages but did Rousset bankrupt us? Bruno? Flogel? Salvatori? Adam?

The point being that they bought into the club, unlike most of the mercenaries who are currently here.

My view on Kitchen is that he doesn't meet the criteria of the 'spare midfielder' role Cathro spoke about last night.

They want a player who is brave with regards to taking chances with the ball etc. That's how I interpreted it. Kitchen can pass the ball 5-6 yards but anything outside this range he doesn't have in his locker, hence why Tzilos (sp) has been preferred.

Makes sense

Sounds like a role young Beith then deserves a chance in !

Exactly, Gary Neville can talk a good game and we all saw how that worked out...

Many pundits who could handle a meeting such as last night have also failed as managers or never tried. Good on McCann by the way. I hope we recruit well enough through the summer to see if cathro can take big steps forward to compensate for those backward steps we have all witnessed. If the players are decent and cathro fails at least a replacement coach would have the tools to work with (unless it is another novice) rather than knock it all down and start again. One way or another better recruitment will be needed. I remain highly sceptical about Cathro but while he is here I will hope he succeeds while I would also be still in the out camp on the evidence so far.

That was me

Ok, Flogel, Bruno (Aguiar and Pascale), Rousset etc etc

Wyness, Sutton, Nelson etc etc

The point is "going British" guarantees **** all. Lazy lazy lazy argument that is wrong as much as it is lazy.

Any team that we have had over the last 20 years that has had any success at all and/or played any kind of attractive "non-eye bleeding" football has had foreigners in it.

Bungalow Bill

I'd also add that it looks like Kitchen was signed to be a ball winning midfielder, which I presume was what Robbie wanted.

After listening to Cathro and watching the videos, it looks to me that when the team lose the ball now, he wants the players to regain their shape, then when the moment is right, collectively press the ball as one.

Geoff Kilpatrick

That was me

The point is "going British" guarantees **** all. Lazy lazy lazy argument that is wrong as much as it is lazy.

Any team that we have had over the last 20 years that has had any success at all and/or played any kind of attractive "non-eye bleeding" football has had foreigners in it.

Correct. It's xenophobic pish to simply blame "foreigners". One of the worst attitudes I've seen at Tynecastle was Gary McSwegan, just as an example.

rudi must stay

Goncalves has a very patchy goalscoring record across his career. Robbo did not.

Obviously a flippant answer from McPhee. I don't think Goncalves is technically good enough to be considered a finisher whatever the other merits to his game. Doesn't hit the target enough.

However maybe Brentford Betting have a different view. In Play. Now.

He hits the target every chance. Just like Connor Sammon did, I don't know what it is with these guys they play it safe against the keeper

Point taken on wages but did Rousset bankrupt us? Bruno? Flogel? Salvatori? Adam?

The point being that they bought into the club, unlike most of the mercenaries who are currently here.

Yes, Stephane Adam's 3-year post-cup final contract contributed to us signing the deal with Cala to sell Tynecastle.  

Agreed that we have had some real success with foreign players that didn't cost the earth, but for every Thomas Flogal there is a Fabian Lequeq (or something like that!)  

Nelly Terraces

:cornette::byebye::byebye:

:lol:

Coming from such an absurd, doltish, individual such as yourself, this literally defines the word irony.

Pasquale for King

Wasn't Brentfords recruitment success down to Frank McParland the guy responsible for some of the disaster signings at Rangers when breadman was in charge?

They changed it after they gave Rangers ?800,000 for Lewis McLeod and sacked McParland Weir and Warburton.

Nookie Bear

Obviously I wasn't there but did Cathro namecheck Tzoilis directly - I assume he didn't refer to him as the 'Greek millionaire' - and did he suggest his desire and attitude at easter road was not good enough?

Just wondering, because he started the next game at Partick.

Jambo 4 Ever

That was me

But surely it will be good to have a more British/Scottish spine to the team again, with the token foreign player?

That was me

I don't think the management said they were anti-foreigners, in fact I think they corrected themselves when they said they were looking for players that weren't just British, but also players that have experience of British football and can handle the physical aspect of it.  Plus the expectations of playing for a club with fans like Hearts fans.  

The point they were making was that they need the right mix of players, which if they get right, will help us get a team that can have success.

Obviously I wasn't there but did Cathro namecheck Tzoilis directly - I assume he didn't refer to him as the 'Greek millionaire' - and did he suggest his desire and attitude at easter road was not good enough?

Just wondering, because he started the next game at Partick.

It wasn't Cathro it was McPhee

Armageddon

No probs... i think macphee would be a better number 1

Has he ever played in goals though???

Bazzas right boot

Clearly it's about mix, balance and quality.

Wherever they are from.

The dynamic duo know this, Ann has aluded to recruitment strategy.

Let's see what happens, exact numbers of each nationality are not important.

Francis Albert

I would think that it's probably contractual. Players of his caliber don't normally come to places like Hearts unless we can offer them something. He was in dispute with his previous club and not playing. We're restricted with cash so giving him the platform to play, keep his fitness and his international place.

I trust that if so the review of recruitment policy will include ruling out any contracts like that. Apart from the direct effect of an underperforming player having a guaranteed place, what do you think it does for the morale other players in the squad?

Francis Albert

On the difficulty of signing players in January, does anyone think our form since then would have been significantly worse if we hadn't signed anyone?

Geoff Kilpatrick

On the difficulty of signing players in January, does anyone think our form since then would have been significantly worse if we hadn't signed anyone?

We definitely needed emergency cover at the back. Otherwise, not really.

Yes, Stephane Adam's 3-year post-cup final contract contributed to us signing the deal with Cala to sell Tynecastle.  

Agreed that we have had some real success with foreign players that didn't cost the earth, but for every Thomas Flogal there is a Fabian Lequeq (or something like that!)  

And for every Hartley there is a Hammil

Yes but were they brought in during a January transfer window with the the manager in the door only a month.

Knowing a bit of your background i am sure you have worked in situations where a manager leaves, a new manager comes in and the status quo flies out of the door.  The things they perceive as not working, they change asap.  Our management duo, or trio if you wish, can't do that because of transfer window regulations.  What they appear to have done is to clear the decks of players whose contracts were nearing an end and who they thought were not suitable beyond then, and hoped to bridge the gap to next season with (mainly) temporary, I stress temporary, signings from what little was available in the January window, to see us through to the end of the season.  With hindsight, despite impressive pedigrees, most (one in particular) haven't worked out.  It was a risk strategy that failed but at least we got fees for some such as Muirhead, Rossi and maybe Ozturk (not sure) that we would not have got this month.

We now proceed to this coming window and this will be a fairer and more realistic yardstick to pass judgment.  We await with baited breath.

On the basis of us not moving any players on or with all those that left still having left?

The reality is FA we couldn't have really done much worse than we have done.

The truth of the matter is that if we all take ourselves back to January it was a pretty exciting window. The "theory" of our signings was sound.

We were all pretty excited about Tziolis - posters who knew of him as a player said they couldn't believe we had managed to secure a player of his ability.

Goncalves clearly had decent potential and knew the league

Struna is an international player for a more than competent international team

We needed defensive cover so we got what we could to be blunt, didn't we? It seems as if Neilson had already been lining up Sowah

The signings have by and large have been a failure, although all of them have had their (few) moments.

People can moan their faces off about that but ultimately we had a change of manager very close to the window and a very limited time to pull off some transfers in a limited market. The club knew this, hence the 6 month options.

You can argue that either way - it either served to detach players from trying or it gave us a low risk opportunity to see if the players would work out.

Either way the upside is that we can move some of these players on easily enough.

However, what is clear to me now is that this bunch of players are not going to improve under Cathro. Its pointless. So for the remaining games young players should be given a change - in my opinion that should have started at the latest on Sunday in our last home game - this is where I zoned out on Cathro somewhat; absolutely shite judgement.

Archived