Meet the Management event

RS86

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kingantti1874

Overall impression is that they have good intentions, they want to play a possession based game with the aim of retaining the ball in the final third. He showed clips from Rio Ave, Valencia and Newcastle to illustrate this, including a clip where Shelvey hit a wonderful cross field pass to which Cathro made a joke that they tried to sign him but he asked for ?85k a week and a McDonald's. The point was made that Leicester and Chelsea have both won the BPL by playing a style which conceeds possession to the opposition, but this was dismissed by MacPhee as short termism.

Aaron Hughes has been brought in because he's a huge influence on the young players. Recruitment in the summer will focus on players with experience of the British leagues with the ultimate aim of restoring a sense of identity to the team.

My impression of them as men was that Cathro is a slightly awkward but very bright guy whereas MacPhee was much more comfortable in this platform.

A good night overall but very much a case of talk is cheap, actions speak louder than words.

Watched barca, think every team.needs to.play like barca.

jambogemz

After the first few questions read out by Scott... some people were clearly frustrated / angry and shouted out their own questions... some just asked why won't he do something about it... or asked about the goalkeeper when he didn't mention it as one of the positions they were looking at.

And at one point when it could have got a bit heated... everyone clapped and Scott moved swiftly on to the next written question

Cheers for that. At least folk managed to keep there cool.

Captain Canada

I want to believe Cathro will come good but below is what he said at the start. Aggression and players being at their best have been clearly lacking since he took charge.

"We want to be aggressive and be as close to the opponent?s goal as we possibly can. "We?ll make it an exciting place to come. Will it always be perfect? No it won?t. ?But everybody will be at maximum all the time. It could be an enjoyable ride.?

Read more at: http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/ian-cathro-outlines-his-footballing-vision-after-quitting-newcastle-to-take-over-at-hearts-1-8275601

siegementality

Amazing how many of the Cathro out gang still want him out despite not going to hear him - and the coaching staff - speak.

Personally I think he will come good and everything I heard tonight confirmed that. The clubs playing side was broken and Cathro and McPhee are having to fix it. At least when they do I'll have the satisfaction of knowing I supported them through the process.

After the first few questions read out by Scott... some people were clearly frustrated / angry and shouted out their own questions... some just asked why won't he do something about it... or asked about the goalkeeper when he didn't mention it as one of the positions they were looking at.

And at one point when it could have got a bit heated... everyone clapped and Scott moved swiftly on to the next written question

The 'clapping' clinched it.

So because our management team didn't get shouted off the stage people are now taking the stance that this "ill-advised event that should have been canned" was in fact simply some sort of masterminded propaganda exercise specifically designed to pull the wool over fans eyes.

Master puppeteer being Cathro who everyone regularly slates as being unable to communicate yet tonight pulled the masterstroke by being able to communicate so well he has successfully brainwashed a room full of people.

A lot of you really are utter pricks.

Cathro seems to have come to the conclusion I have - by and large this group of players cant play the way he wants to so they need "replaced".

I am sure he will have been much more open and forthright behind the scenes.

So as I have been saying Budge now has a decision. Give Cathro the only chance he has and change the bulk of the team with the required quality or change the manager.

kingantti1874

Amazing how many of the Cathro out gang still want him out despite not going to hear him - and the coaching staff - speak.

Personally I think he will come good and everything I heard tonight confirmed that. The clubs playing side was broken and Cathro and McPhee are having to fix it. At least when they do I'll have the satisfaction of knowing I supported them through the process.

They ****ing broke it.. 2nd to 2nd bottom in the form league.. Pathetic

Howdy Doody Jambo

We were 2nd top not bottom when he arrived, we're now 2nd bottom on form

When Cathro came in we had a team that had a system, it was settled, it only needed fine tuning

It's now carnage

I suppose Paterson and Souttar should just have carried on playing through serious injury and Rossi shouldn't have gone back to his homeland with a lucrative contract (We got a fee and his contract was up at the end of the season anyway).  In addition two of our players should not have been allowed to go to the ACoN.  Add to that the temerity of Hughes to sign for us and then get injured.  Cathro had no right to allow this as it unsettled the team.

They ******* broke it.. 2nd to 2nd bottom in the form league.. Pathetic

Horrendous but correct stats.

Pasquale for King

Cheers for the answers about Brentford guys

Strangely enough in February 2015 the Brentford owner said he wanted to replace the manager, his assistant and the head of recruitment with a head coach and DoF to help recruitment problems.Early In the January of 2015 they needlessly gave Rangers, who were on their knees needing loans from anyone, ?800,000 for Lewis McLeod who has hardly played. The manager at the time was Warburton, with Weir as his assistant and McParlabd as HoR. Three months later they get the Rangers job ( remember how they left them to go to Forest) and lately spend ?1.8m on Joel Garner

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

There's something wrong with him.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

So because our management team didn't get shouted off the stage people are now taking the stance that this "ill-advised event that should have been canned" was in fact simply some sort of masterminded propaganda exercise specifically designed to pull the wool over fans eyes.

Master puppeteer being Cathro who everyone regularly slates as being unable to communicate yet tonight pulled the masterstroke by being able to communicate so well he has successfully brainwashed a room full of people.

Cathro seems to have come to the conclusion I have - by and large this group of players cant play the way he wants to so they need "replaced".

So as I have been saying Budge now has a decision. Give Cathro the only chance he has and change the bulk of the team with the required quality or change the manager.

I agree. But by ****, since he is changing things so much, he better have the players coming in to back up the theory

If he comes good, great. But talk is cheap in football unless you can back it up.

He needs to convince those of us not able to attend his tactical presentations by doing it on match day.

I like what he says but he has never once achieved it consistently. Rangers 4-1 aside it's been poor. He will need to do a lot to convince me he's the right guy now. I came away from 3-2 at Dundee in December backing him. But after Aberdeen at the weekend it'll take a lot on the pitch to convince me.

Give the guy a rest.

Who?

Scott or the Hibby?

I meant the Hibby for 'proving' he was at the meeting.

Mikey1874

McPhee doesn't have that kind of quality at his disposal when coaching NI. He should surely know better I would have thought.

He said N Ireland won't sustain it though

Livvyjambo

Thanks for the feedback to guys that went . Seems to clarify what a lot have thought , clearly informative , modern and forward thinking . But he can't manage , motivate , lacks presence .

He's a no 2 or even a 3 , never ever a no 1

Bazzas right boot

I agree. But by ****, since he is changing things so much, he better have the players coming in to back up the theory

Aye, if not he will fail.

Recruitment needs to improve and the results must show, quickly.

chester copperpot

Enough of the name calling!! I am a Hearts fan and probably go to more games than you

Thought you had a season ticket?

Surely a season ticket holder would go to more games than some boy who lives abroad naw?

Anyway, Hamilton's a shitehole.

Jambo 4 Ever

Thanks for the feedback to guys that went . Seems to clarify what a lot have thought , clearly informative , modern and forward thinking . But he can't manage , motivate , lacks presence .

He's a no 2 or even a 3 , never ever a no 1

No probs... i think macphee would be a better number 1

Well something has been going on behind the scenes for a while

Budge mentioned new recruitment methods in her statement and Cathro mentioned it tonight.

So you are right - the players better be signed that back the theory. Or Budge and Levein need to be looking for a new manager.

kingantti1874

So as I have been saying Budge now has a decision. Give Cathro the only chance he has and change the bulk of the team with the required quality or change the manager.

1. Has he or had he not achieved par with our current squad of players?

2. Do we have the 2d worst squad in this league

3. Despite quality shortcomings have the teams he has produced demonstrated the minimum / which is to fight for the result, the club and the fans..

To me - it's seems we have a minority group of fans who've had the wool pulled over their eyes.

#Cathroout

Pasquale for King

I suppose Paterson and Souttar should just have carried on playing through serious injury and Rossi shouldn't have gone back to his homeland with a lucrative contract (We got a fee and his contract was up at the end of the season anyway). In addition two of our players should not have been allowed to go to the ACoN. Add to that the temerity of Hughes to sign for us and then get injured. Cathro had no right to allow this as it unsettled the team.

Rossi went to Jordan, I don't think his hit and hope forward passes would go down to well in Brazil hence the reason he's played in some poor leagues following the money. Hughes was bang average before getting injured anyway. Patterson and Souttar have been missed but defence was poor before Neilson left too.

Mikey1874

They are actively reviewing recruitment, including having a presentation by the scouting team from Brentford last week.

Man Utd and Man City to follow soon

Quite a strong indictment of recruitment overall

Jambo 4 Ever

Thought you had a season ticket?

Surely a season ticket holder would go to more games than some boy who lives abroad naw?

Anyway, Hamilton's a shitehole.

I do

I'm just getting sick of some on here calling me a hibs fan and thinking they are funny

Sounds like it was a worthwhile evening, though the lacklustre performances aren't all down to lack of the player's ability. Time will tell if he can make what he preaches happen, but patience in the stands running short.

Fair play to them for doing this and facing the heat from the fans.

I suppose Paterson and Souttar should just have carried on playing through serious injury and Rossi shouldn't have gone back to his homeland with a lucrative contract (We got a fee and his contract was up at the end of the season anyway). In addition two of our players should not have been allowed to go to the ACoN. Add to that the temerity of Hughes to sign for us and then get injured. Cathro had no right to allow this as it unsettled the team.

Thought Rossi wen to Saudi Arabia?

Souttar and Paterson were bad injuries. But are you saying at the time we lost each that Nowak/Ozturk/Rossi/Hughes/Bauben or Smith/Rherras couldn't slot into those two places in the team?

Or for that Cowie/Djoum/Kitchen/Bauben can't be alternated in the 2 centre mid spots in Robbies system?

Thinking back to 3-2 Dundee, we started with Robbies system and by the end of it we had no shape and players out of position. Plus again the wrong players were changed. From day 1 he's been off with certain decisions and tactics.

chester copperpot

I do

I'm just getting sick of some on here calling me a hibs fan and thinking they are correct

Fixed

Expert on the subject

Seems many cant / wont take a  reality check , if you think Cathro is the best we can do then you really have a low opinion of our club. 

The facts of the matter are in relative terms Cathro has been  backed considerably in the January window, he had a winter break to get his metods across , he has a support network the envy of many clubs , and crucially  we have players most teams below Celtic would love to have in their team 

But yet not one player looks better for his arrival , we have no clear team shape and relegation form since  he has arrived .

In  26 games he has failed ! we have failed as a club since his appointment week in week out  ! his first excuse was the pitch, 200k later its the players are not of the right style  meanwhile  even Dundee have got more points than us  since his arrival,

So onto next season it will be more excuses first up no doubt will be the run of away games at the beginning of the season ,

Next year Hibs are back , Celtic, Rangers will improve ,St Johnstone and Aberdeen will be consistent however with a lack of leadership we will be left behind with bottom 6 form

So please what exactly is the case for his defence  ?

What is one thing we can point to  suggest he is a winner ?  a leader ?  a manager who gets the most out of players ?

It seems many of the fans will accept defeats and passionless performance in the belief this really a reflection of his ability perhaps  because he didn't get a pre season when in truth this is as good as it gets for him as next season all teams start on 0 points .

this imposter is dragging us down with every week and decision he makes, time to make strong decisions and  move on  ! 

Jambo 4 Ever

Another good question was when someone asked how long is a 'reasonable amount of time" to be given to show results... off the back of Macphees presentation - and the answer Cathro gave was honest in that he had passed the reasonable amount of time... so he knows he has been given a lot of time

Well something has been going on behind the scenes for a while

Budge mentioned new recruitment methods in her statement and Cathro mentioned it tonight.

So you are right - the players better be signed that back the theory. Or Budge and Levein need to be looking for a new manager.

But surely Levein is part of this process too? Or is he getting off scot free again?

Hearts007
Jambo_in_Hamilton, on 08 May 2017 - 10:19 PM, said:

I do

I'm just getting sick of some on here calling me a hibs fan and thinking they are funny

Don't worry about it, there's been plenty on here been accused of being a hobo me included

I do

Hibs with a wee 'h'.

Sums that team up.

Jambof3tornado

Folk need to remember our coaching staff did not have to open themselves up to this.

Well done.

Not as pointless as many made out.

Mikey1874

Event probably more representative of fans in general than say JKB. And more knowledgeable.

So that was nice. Some of it including the tactics is still to be proven as the best approach.

But brave of Cathro and MacPhee to do that. Hopefully that bravery transfers to the players.

Bungalow Bill

There is a clear realisation that things won't improve in the last 3 games. I was 'Cathro out' after yesterday, but I'm willing to judge after the start of next season now. That does not mean I'm 'Cathro in' though.

I do

Getting 'funny' mixed up with 'factual' :rofl:

siegementality

If only it was as simple as that, or you.

kingantti1874

It is - he's done a really ****ing bad job.. Really really bad..

karipidis

The problem is we still have 3 games left this season, and whilst it is good for Cathro to be planning for next season, if we get comfortably beat in all 3 games then it will be too much damage done for him. Should not be calling out the players yet.

Hats off to them for doing tonight's presentation to raise money. I have to say however that it's just symptomatic of our current predicament, everything is great until we actually have to go and play football.

Thought Rossi wen to Saudi Arabia?

Souttar and Paterson were bad injuries. But are you saying at the time we lost each that Nowak/Ozturk/Rossi/Hughes/Bauben or Smith/Rherras couldn't slot into those two places in the team?

Or for that Cowie/Djoum/Kitchen/Bauben can't be alternated in the 2 centre mid spots in Robbies system?

Thinking back to 3-2 Dundee, we started with Robbies system and by the end of it we had no shape and players out of position. Plus again the wrong players were changed. From day 1 he's been off with certain decisions and tactics.

I'm saying we lost these top players and who knows what would have happened if we hadn't - or if Robbie had had to contend with losses of that magnitude would we be any better off.  Only Mystic Meg, maybe, could answer that.

When a number of players are lost to the squad like this, not only does it affect the 1st eleven but also restricts the options for change during a game or for loss of form etc.

Cheers for the updates, JiH.

Cheers for the updates, JiH.

:2thumbsup:

I could have done said 'updates' too, just by reading other folks (who were at the meeting) comments, picking out key bits, changing the wording slightly and posting them as 'witnessed'.

But I didn't as I am sitting in France and not lying in Hamilton.

SpikeDudley

The problem is we still have 3 games left this season, and whilst it is good for Cathro to be planning for next season, if we get comfortably beat in all 3 games then it will be too much damage done for him. Should not be calling out the players yet.

those 3 matches are literally irrelevant

kingantti1874

Ps - no need for the personal insults

Bungalow Bill

The last 3 games have to be written off unfortunately.

Archived