Iain Cathro ongoing Poll and discussion Thread

cylawny

Cathro Poll  

1,521 members have voted

1. 1. Cathro stay or go

Sandy Clark

Tell you what a number of his cheerleaders have vanished this evening..

I was one but can't take it anymore. I was giving him benefit of every doubt, give him another transfer window etc but my eyes and ears couldn't take it anymore. Maybe it's Levein, and I take that into consideration. But it's over for me and I'm out on Cathro.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite a swing in the poll tonight. The Leave side have comfortably overtaken the Remain side. 

Mister Dee

He will never win the fans back.

It's now when, not if he will be sacked.

Mr Rabbit

What I don't get is fans taking swipes at each other about how they voted.

We will all be here longer than Cathro, Levein and Budge. The fact that we're doing so well away from the pitch is down to what the fans have done.

It's a shame that we're struggling on the pitch at the moment and how we overcome that we'll each have different opinions on. It's a fans forum so there'll be disagreement but calling each other happy clappers or throbbers for having an agenda against Cathro/ Levein isn't helping.

If someone has a different point of view to myself so be it, especially if they've went out there way to explain why then l welcome it even more.

Has anybody met a Hearts fan in real life who wants Cathro to stay? The poll seems a fix to me. How many accounts do the club have on here?

Livvyjambo

I genuinely believe we have a problem getting rid of these jokers in terms of finances . I don't think we would have the money to bin them on 3 yr deals .

On the other hand can we afford not to

chester copperpot

I have just changed my vote.

I think after 22 games we would have an idea of his footballing philosophy but I just can't see a plan A let alone a plan B.

I have defended him at times despite not liking his box soccer stuff but enough enough.

We can't afford to give him the summer and potentially write off another season.

He might turn out a success but it most certainly isn't going to be with us.

His approach doesn't work in Scotland. His take out the emotional side doesn't work up here as you need to win the battle before winning anything on the pitch.

Bowmans_Boot

When Cathro was appointed I was super positive about it and stated that he deserved the summer window and beyond to build his team. I also said I wouldnt deviate from this as I believe to build anything lasting and meaningful takes time.

I still believe this and so have not changed my vote.

I appreciate that things could not have gone much worse but he does deserve a "proper" transfer window to get, and build his own team.

It does worry me that he appears unable to get his message over to the team (although I thought they started the second half better, following his team talk) but I think one of the key issues is the lack of a proper leader on the pitch: fix that and a lot else will come into place.

I do not agree, however, that future managers should necessarily be promoted from within the club. When making an "in theory" presentation about the perfect club model, yes, perhaps it sounds ideal. In reality, though, a club the size of ours should not always have rookie, inexperienced managers and there really is no need to, either.

I genuinely believe we have a problem getting rid of these jokers in terms of finances . I don't think we would have the money to bin them on 3 yr deals .

3 year deals!!!! I mean WTF was Levein thinking about?

I have always known he was an arrogant tosser - now I think he is a thick arrogant tosser!!!!

kingantti1874

Again gents we don't need to sack him.. Demote him to coaching the youth teams or something, employ someone over his head.. His ego is such that he will go and get a coaching job elsewhere.. Would be gone within a month

Geoff Kilpatrick

Again gents we don't need to sack him.. Demote him to coaching the youth teams or something, employ someone over his head.. His ego is such that he will go and get a coaching job elsewhere.. Would be gone within a month

Er, no. I think that's constructive dismissal.

Mister Dee

I suppose the problem is, money is tight due to the Stand rebuild, & any additional expenses, i.e. redundancy will not have been planned for.

There is no logical argument for keeping him, other than the cost of sacking him.

This is easily the biggest crisis at the Club since Budge took over.

Mmmm....you are not an expert in employment law are you?

A_A wehatethehibs

The pendulum has finally swung. The guy just doesn't have the leadership qualities, it's taken some longer than others to open their eyes.

From the 3 games left, I'm predicting an aggregate score of at least 10 goals against us.

Half time pie

If it were not for Robbies fist half of the season giving us the points, we would be looking at relegation under Cathro.

No need to sack him and pay out compensation, just demote him to under 21 responsibilities and get someone experienced in.

Bowmans_Boot

No need to sack him and pay out compensation, just demote him to under 21 responsibilities and get someone experienced in.

You cant just do that, though. You would need his full agreement and, given his self confidence comments yesterday, that would appear highly unlikely.

Nookie Bear

I'm pretty certain that would be constructive dismissal.

Changed my vote to go .I really wanted him to be successful? but it just isn't going to happen.the whole football department is looking like a busted experiment.if I'm proved wrong fantastic no one will be more pleased than me

Any truth to the rumours he has offered is resignation twice? If so, then surely he'd walk away and it not cost us any compensation...

Bowmans_Boot

Any truth to the rumours he has offered is resignation twice? If so, then surely he'd walk away and it not cost us any compensation...

Depends upon what his resignation terms were.

I held off voting before because I did feel he deserved time and there was clearly a witchhunt brewing however having I just can't see him ever winning over a large percentage of the fans.

I feel sorry for him but it just hasn't worked out and I think Ann Budge needs to do the decent thing. First and foremost as a supporter is she happy with what she's watching developing? And as the owner and a business woman she has to realise that there is potentially going to be a big drop in season ticket sales, which she clearly states is vital for the club.

It's time to tell this apprentice "you're fired"

Nookie Bear

I held off voting before because I did feel he deserved time and there was clearly a witchhunt brewing however having I just can't see him ever winning over a large percentage of the fans.

I feel sorry for him but it just hasn't worked out and I think Ann Budge needs to do the decent thing. First and foremost as a supporter is she happy with what she's watching developing? And as the owner and a business woman she has to realise that there is potentially going to be a big drop in season ticket sales, which she clearly states is vital for the club.

It's time to tell this apprentice "you're fired"

The only thing we don't know - that Ann will know - is if there are a number of exciting additions being worked on for the summer. She perhaps cannot say this until anything is confirmed.

Doubt it though. I think Ann doesn't want to be seen as trigger-happy so needs to give him time, but she must be appalled at what she is going on at the moment. Or maybe she feels Cathro can learn on the job and we may have to accept 3 years of p1sh in the meantime.

3fingersreid

When Cathro was appointed I was super positive about it and stated that he deserved the summer window and beyond to build his team. I also said I wouldnt deviate from this as I believe to build anything lasting and meaningful takes time.

I still believe this and so have not changed my vote.

I appreciate that things could not have gone much worse but he does deserve a "proper" transfer window to get, and build his own team.

It does worry me that he appears unable to get his message over to the team (although I thought they started the second half better, following his team talk) but I think one of the key issues is the lack of a proper leader on the pitch: fix that and a lot else will come into place.

I do not agree, however, that future managers should necessarily be promoted from within the club. When making an "in theory" presentation about the perfect club model, yes, perhaps it sounds ideal. In reality, though, a club the size of ours should not always have rookie, inexperienced managers and there really is no need to, either.

I was delighted when we took the chance to employ a new type of coach ,however unlike you I've decided enough is enough and I don't think he's got what it takes to be our head coach , so what I'd like to know is what do you see in him that I can't that gives you the optimism that he WILL succeed ? I'm not having a pop at you just genuinely curious as to what I might be missing

Voice of reason

I'd like to see Cathro get until Christmas - let him have a properly planned transfer window before we give up on the appointment. When you make a brave appointment you need to at least give him one proper window.  I expect Hearts to sign over half a team by the start of next season and I expect it will be a lot better than Robbie's last summer transfer window. 

If the quality of the signings is as good as I hope, and expect, then we will sell plenty of season tickets. 

Bowmans_Boot

I was delighted when we took the chance to employ a new type of coach ,however unlike you I've decided enough is enough and I don't think he's got what it takes to be our head coach , so what I'd like to know is what do you see in him that I can't that gives you the optimism that he WILL succeed ? I'm not having a pop at you just genuinely curious as to what I might be missing

With the right few additions to the team (a leader being an absolute must) then I can see it being a completely transformed team. Obviously Januarys window was a disaster and I think we rushed into filling spaces because options were limited. This will be less the case rhis Summer.

We have seen glimpses of what Cathros team can do (1st half Dens, Rangers) so I still have faith that he can do it.

I feel he deserves one proper transfer window and should get that.

Tintin1874

Changed my Stay vote to Go after yesterday, which was just the last straw after a string of shite performances. 

Was genuinely excited by his appointment and was willing to give him time to get things together but enough's enough. Maybe see how summer transfers pan out for him and maybe, just maybe, I can be bit more comfortable about him, but I'm just not seeing what he's promised in terms of attacking football, etc. I'm not in the "let's just get a proper fitba man in and be done with it" camp and I still like the model we have implemented but I'm seriously doubting Levein/Cathro/McPhee are the ones that fit that model for it to be truly successful and have us challenging for titles and having good Cup runs, as per the 5 year plan.

Obviously money is always going to be an issue and we won't be spending outwith our means (a good thing) on raw talent but drilling the Club culture into the team, be they new recruits or existing squad, should be paramount and doesn't cost much - I thought we were good with Powerpoint presentations these days? From what I've seen on the pitch and a couple of games aside, I'm just not seeing that fight and determination I would expect from a Hearts team. Kitchen made a good move by reading up on our history which got him a lot of kudos from fans which unfortunately coincided with a drop in his form, but I don't believe many of the players understand what it means to play for Hearts. And for me, that comes top-down from management. 

A good number of the players are simply not giving a toss about the badge for various reasons (six-month drifters, fancy themselves in England or elsewhere, etc) and/or they are just not inspired or motivated by our management team. I know as professional players they should always be up for winning, but that's the theory and drawing from my experience in the corporate world, the best software engineers (for example) will still perform badly without proper leadership on a given day. If they are being talked to in riddles or not given the proper direction, then they are not going to be compelled to put a good shift in, no matter how talented they are.

Ivan Drago

I can't see them being true. Levein is stubborn but I don't think he'd be daft enough to turn the opportunity to get rid of him without having to pay compensation. The club could easily cobble some story together try to save face if that's what he's worried about.

With the right few additions to the team (a leader being an absolute must) then I can see it being a completely transformed team. Obviously Januarys window was a disaster and I think we rushed into filling spaces because options were limited. This will be less the case rhis Summer.

We have seen glimpses of what Cathros team can do (1st half Dens, Rangers) so I still have faith that he can do it.

I feel he deserves one proper transfer window and should get that.

Believe me Cathro is incompetent.

I'm never wrong by the way.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

The boy has shown absolutely no promise whatsoever. Nothing at all. We might as well have had no head coach since Robbie went.

The question now is whether Cathro is hopeless per se or if this joke of a squad are making him look that way. I don't know why but I'm still prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

The boy has shown absolutely no promise whatsoever. Nothing at all. We might as well have had no head coach since Robbie went.

The question now is whether Cathro is hopeless per se or if this joke of a squad are making him look that way. I don't know why but I'm still prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.

There's no chance this group of players are is bad as the results are showing.

gowestjambo

I am sure there would be enough FoH pledgers willing to increase their monthly contribution to pay him off.

BRAVEHEART1874

Needs a better striker than johnsen/sammon to link up with concalves.

Needs a better keeper than hamilton. (Quite happy at him being no2 and growing in confidence / learning from some of his mistakes or on loan for a bit though.)

Needs a better centre half than prince or novak.

Needs a better right wing than nicholson (poor form this year really) or choulay / and the stop gaps like djoumn or cowie.

With players like Choylay / bikey / nicholson and probably rheras or sowah away surely we will sign even more than 4.

Even with just these 4 new players even cathro would turn some draws into wins and if he doesn't then no doubt rightly will be away well before christmas.

And if we don't sign a better striker / goalkeeper / defender in the summer then doesn't matter who the manager is really :(

I'd like to see Cathro get until Christmas - let him have a properly planned transfer window before we give up on the appointment. When you make a brave appointment you need to at least give him one proper window.  I expect Hearts to sign over half a team by the start of next season and I expect it will be a lot better than Robbie's last summer transfer window. 

If the quality of the signings is as good as I hope, and expect, then we will sell plenty of season tickets. 

Things are bad enough already with unwanted players on long contracts hanging around like a bad smell. If we give more of these "quality" signings 3 year contracts and things don't improve, we'll really be up the financial shit creek without a paddle.

Buffalo Bill

Has anybody met a Hearts fan in real life who wants Cathro to stay?

I want Cathro to stay and be given the summer window to do a LOT of wheeling and dealing. 

I realise that we're horse dung at the moment, and that results have been poor...and that we're not going to get any better this season. 

I can't give offer any empirical reason as to what Cathro has got in his locker to turn this thing around, other than to say I think he is perhaps thought of as someone who has great potential. We have of course, yet to see that at HMFC.

But, I do still think he should be given time. The team needs gutting. I hope for at least ten out and ten in. Guys who can fight for the jersey and play with a bit of pace and swagger.

I say let's give Cathro this window to see if we can improve, and if we're still struggling by October, then we make a call then.  I firmly back Cathro, but if the 'experiment' ends in failure (and sacking), then Craig Levein should consider his position, or have his position considered for him. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

The way the disjointed performances keep arising week in week out must sow potential doubt in the minds of players contemplating signing for us. That is what worries me and I can see us being overlooked by the quality players we desperately need as they don't trust Cathro to manage them properly. I still don't see a manager there that will suddenly turn us into a winning team.

I say let's give Cathro this window to see if we can improve, and if we're still struggling by October, then we make a call then.  I firmly back Cathro, but if the 'experiment' ends in failure (and sacking), then Craig Levein should consider his position, or have his position considered for him. 

all fairly valid points mate, but if we wait till october we could be cast adrift at the bottom of the league. 

four away games to begin the season, not an exciting prospect with cathro at the helm. 

if a new manager comes in past october we are in pretty much the same scenario as this season and robbie leaving. 

We do what every other club in these circumstances does, we put them on gardening leave, pay them until the end of there contract or renegotiate or hope some other mugs/club offer them a job

I want Cathro to stay and be given the summer window to do a LOT of wheeling and dealing.

I realise that we're horse dung at the moment, and that results have been poor...and that we're not going to get any better this season.

I can't give offer any empirical reason as to what Cathro has got in his locker to turn this thing around, other than to say I think he is perhaps thought of as someone who has great potential. We have of course, yet to see that at HMFC.

But, I do still think he should be given time. The team needs gutting. I hope for at least ten out and ten in. Guys who can fight for the jersey and play with a bit of pace and swagger.

I say let's give Cathro this window to see if we can improve, and if we're still struggling by October, then we make a call then. I firmly back Cathro, but if the 'experiment' ends in failure (and sacking), then Craig Levein should consider his position, or have his position considered for him.

I'm sorry but giving Cathro more time and a window will only give a new manager more of a mess to clear up. Cathro is finished as far as the vast majority of Hearts fans are concerned. He has to go with Levein.

Jamhammer

Though I haven't changed my vote from stay I am very close to doing so. I'm not seeing any improvement. Our "style" baffles me as did Cowie substitution. The team looks and plays like it can't be arsed, bottles tackles and is slower than a month in the gaol. The manager continues to play a keeper who can't kick a football and again was culpable for at least 1 of the goals yesterday. I don't understand the shape of the team. I don't understand why our lone striker plays as deep as he does. I don't understand why we cannot pass a ball forward.

I've yet to be convinced that, even with better players IC can manage. I want him to but it's not looking likely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i seriously doubt that Cathro would get top 4 if he was the manager of Celtic with their talent at his disposal!

Changed my mind to go.

I have felt like this for weeks and resisted changing my vote but after Saturday I don't even feel I have to apologise.

Move on please.

Ivan Drago

all fairly valid points mate, but if we wait till october we could be cast adrift at the bottom of the league.

four away games to begin the season, not an exciting prospect with cathro at the helm.

if a new manager comes in past october we are in pretty much the same scenario as this season and robbie leaving.

If the transfer window goes as bad as his first one you're looking at thousands down the drain as well.

Buffalo Bill

If the transfer window goes as bad as his first one you're looking at thousands down the drain as well.

I agree, it's a gamble.

But we brought in Cathro to make a real go of it, so we should allow him the chance to properly construct a squad. Give the guy a chance to see what he can do with his own players.

Let's say it's October and we're still struggling. If it ends in failure for Cathro, then really, it should also be the end for Levein because that will have been THREE transfer windows gone wrong.

I think Cathro has been let down by the DoF. Levein should be interviewed by HeartsTV banging the drum for the Head Coach, supporting his vision and explaining his own plans for the football department. Levein might well be working on a grand plan for the club and the academy, but it's times like this that we need to know about it, especially with a shed load of season tickets to sell. 

soonbe110

Have you ever heard of constructive dismissal? We would have to fully pay up unless there's a break clause in the contract.

Has anybody met a Hearts fan in real life who wants Cathro to stay? The poll seems a fix to me. How many accounts do the club have on here?

I'm in a supporters club and everyone wants Cathro out with a big majority wanting Levein out too.

soonbe110

Needs a better striker than johnsen/sammon to link up with concalves.

Needs a better keeper than hamilton. (Quite happy at him being no2 and growing in confidence / learning from some of his mistakes or on loan for a bit though.)

Needs a better centre half than prince or novak.

Needs a better right wing than nicholson (poor form this year really) or choulay / and the stop gaps like djoumn or cowie.

With players like Choylay / bikey / nicholson and probably rheras or sowah away surely we will sign even more than 4.

Even with just these 4 new players even cathro would turn some draws into wins and if he doesn't then no doubt rightly will be away well before christmas.

And if we don't sign a better striker / goalkeeper / defender in the summer then doesn't matter who the manager is really :(

Just about best post on this thread. Our squad is as weak as it's been since the relegation year when we had an embargo. Not sure anyone could get much more out of current squad. Huge summer coming up for Budge, Levein and Cathro. Need to sign at least six quality players, possibly more. Keeper, centre-half, left-back, two midfielders who are comfortable on the ball, winger, at least one striker. That's 7 for a start. There must be money available for decent signings given the attendances and FOH contributions plus Dev fees for Paterson, Nicholson and McGhee.

Archived