Iain Cathro ongoing Poll and discussion Thread

cylawny

Cathro Poll  

1,521 members have voted

1. 1. Cathro stay or go

bauld willie

Just about best post on this thread. Our squad is as weak as it's been since the relegation year when we had an embargo. Not sure anyone could get much more out of current squad. Huge summer coming up for Budge, Levein and Cathro. Need to sign at least six quality players, possibly more. Keeper, centre-half, left-back, two midfielders who are comfortable on the ball, winger, at least one striker. That's 7 for a start. There must be money available for decent signings given the attendances and FOH contributions plus Dev fees for Paterson, Nicholson and McGhee.

And it was Cathro and the sidekick who scouted and signed our squad. He has simply struggled to motivate established internationals.

I think it is about charisma and presence. He has none, so why should players care.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mister Dee

I honestly wonder where we'd be had Levein got his way & Cathro was signed before Neilson.

The mind boggles.

I agree, it's a gamble.

But we brought in Cathro to make a real go of it, so we should allow him the chance to properly construct a squad. Give the guy a chance to see what he can do with his own players.

Let's say it's October and we're still struggling. If it ends in failure for Cathro, then really, it should also be the end for Levein because that will have been THREE transfer windows gone wrong.

I think Cathro has been let down by the DoF. Levein should be interviewed by HeartsTV banging the drum for the Head Coach, supporting his vision and explaining his own plans for the football department. Levein might well be working on a grand plan for the club and the academy, but it's times like this that we need to know about it, especially with a shed load of season tickets to sell.

Agree levein needs to say something

Ferryjambo99

I honestly wonder where we'd be had Levein got his way & Cathro was signed before Neilson.

The mind boggles.

I'm sure Neilson was always the number one target with Cathro being approached for the U20s. Cathro then got the offer at Valencia and went there

i seriously doubt that Cathro would get top 4 if he was the manager of Celtic with their talent at his disposal!

Never ever thought about it like that before, but yeah theres no chance in hell he'd have control over their dressing room.

a safe pair of sells

The way the disjointed performances keep arising week in week out must sow potential doubt in the minds of players contemplating signing for us. That is what worries me and I can see us being overlooked by the quality players we desperately need as they don't trust Cathro to manage them properly. I still don't see a manager there that will suddenly turn us into a winning team.

I agree with your point about us being overlooked by the guys we could potentially sign. There now seems to be a whole raft of reasons to show him the door at the moment, I find it extremely difficult to imagine that he will somehow turn this negativity round. I think he's as good as gone already, most of us can see it, if we're be honest with ourselves.

kingantti1874

Unless you think we have the second worst squad in the league.. (Because that our record since he joined) he doesnt deserve the summer.

It's the sheer lack of fight that pisses me off.. Awful..

Watt-Zeefuik

This seems clear enough but I think it needs to be said.

I still like Cathro. I think he might make a top-notch manager some day.  I think given some time to reflect on this experience, he might really come good.  He's bright, motivated, and humble.

But it's not working right now, and I think a summer transfer window will do f--- all to change that. For everyone's sake, including Cathro, this experiment needs to end.  I'll thank him for his hard work but enough is enough.

Agree levein needs to say something

Yup - "I resign!!"

This seems clear enough but I think it needs to be said.

I still like Cathro. I think he might make a top-notch manager some day. I think given some time to reflect on this experience, he might really come good. He's bright, motivated, and humble.

But it's not working right now, and I think a summer transfer window will do f--- all to change that. For everyone's sake, including Cathro, this experiment needs to end. I'll thank him for his hard work but enough is enough.

But the experiment will not end only by sacking Cathro.

This is Levein's experiment so unless he goes we will more of the same!!!!

Central Belt 1874

Exactly, this poll/thread is pointless as we will end up with another coach who will be even less experienced than Cathro who has to turn around a whole squad in the summer. Utter suicide.

The bigger more important issue is Levein and to a certain extent, Budge. This needs debated and addressed, not the continual and relentless hounding of our coach.

Sky Sports just had a graphic up showing the clubs in the bottom half of the English Premiership who changed managers mid-season. All but one improved their position, only Middlesbrough didn't improve with the change of manager - they stayed in the same spot, and were relegated tonight.

I wonder if we'd have appointed Ian Cathro if we'd been 7th or 8th when Robbie left.

bauld willie

Sky Sports just had a graphic up showing the clubs in the bottom half of the English Premiership who changed managers mid-season. All but one improved their position, only Middlesbrough didn't improve with the change of manager - they stayed in the same spot, and were relegated tonight.

I wonder if we'd have appointed Ian Cathro if we'd been 7th or 8th when Robbie left.

Good post

tolcross lad

Maybe Liam Fox is ready after taking Cowdenbeath to the bottom of the table or Jon Daly has mastered the role of Yes Man..

Unless Budge steps in it will be Leveins decision to sack Cathro.A sacking would leave Levein in a very vulnerable position .Its why Cathro will remain until the inevitable happens one way or another.Levein is a thrawn individual who will dig in come what may.The football side of the club is tied up in his knots.This is going to become very messy and very damaging to our club.

Buffalo Bill

But it's not working right now, and I think a summer transfer window will do f--- all to change that. For everyone's sake, including Cathro, this experiment needs to end.  

I don't quite get that.

What if he managed to bring in ten good players who fought tooth and nail for the jersey? Just supposing?

By all accounts, Cathro's training is very good and his dedication, second to none. Could it not then be the case that the current squad just aren't up to the task?

I say give the guy a chance to properly build a team.

kingantti1874

I don't quite get that.

What if he managed to bring in ten good players who fought tooth and nail for the jersey? Just supposing?

By all accounts, Cathro's training is very good and his dedication, second to none. Could it not then be the case that the current squad just aren't up to the task?

Is he achieving what he should be with our current squad..? Are you saying you think current squad is 2nd worst in league..

Bazzas right boot

Is he achieving what he should be with our current squad..? Are you saying you think current squad is 2nd worst in league..

Ok, you keep saying that.

So I'll answer, yes.

kingantti1874

Ok, you keep saying that.

Do I'll answer, yes.

Not asking you with all due respect.. but that's an astonishing view..

I'm in a supporters club and everyone wants Cathro out with a big majority wanting Levein out too.

The writing is on the wall for both of them now. All the fans we have gained since the Championship season are set to vote with their feet and not renew their season tickets. I fear Budge is going to leave it till we are staring relegation in the face and Cathro will then walk before he is pushed.

Our DOF will then precede to appoint another apprentice to the top job while continuing to hide in the background.

Bazzas right boot

Not asking you with all due respect.. but that's an astonishing view..

You asked me twice before on other threads, Seems to be your argument.

We all agree, form is poor.

It must improve.

Astonishing view point!

Keeper- from the off I said not ready.

Right back- injured/ leaving. Struna is average.

Centre half's, Novak/ bauben. I reckon every club has a better pairing than that.( Hughe's and Souttar injured).

Left back, we'll need I say more.

Djoum, kitchen, Cowie and walker are above average.

Martin, jury out but indifferent start

Tziolos, too slow.

We have one decent striker.

On top of that we have about 9 players out of contract.

All in all a very thin squad with little scope for rotation and in all honesty maybe not the second worst team but marroon specs of, it's a poor squad and reflects two poor transfer Windows.

Still astonished?

kingantti1874

You asked me twice before on other threads, Seems to be your argument.

We all agree, form is poor.

It must improve.

Astonishing view point!

Keeper- from the off I said not ready.

Right back- injured/ leaving. Struna is average.

Centre half's, Novak/ bauben. I reckon every club has a better pairing than that.( Hughe's and Souttar injured).

Left back, we'll need I say more.

Djoum, kitchen, Cowie and walker are above average.

Martin, jury out but indifferent start

Tziolos, too slow.

We have one decent striker.

On top of that we have about 9 players out of contract.

All in all a very thin squad with little scope for rotation and in all honesty maybe not the second worst team but marroon specs of, it's a poor squad and reflects two poor transfer Windows.

Still astonished?

So Dundee, Ross county, Kilmarnock, Hamilton accies, Motherwell, Patrick are all, man for man, better than us? :rofl:

Bazzas right boot

So Dundee, Ross county, Kilmarnock, Hamilton accies, Motherwell, Patrick are all, man for man, better than us? :rofl:

Don't know if Better, but our team is poor, not much in it tbh Squad wise we are thin as hell and a central defence of bauben and Novak highlights we are poor, the teams you mentioned probably have a better pairing and a left back, possibly even a keeper.

I could also say the strike force of partick, Ross county and Motherwell is better than goncalves and Johnson as options.

Our midfield is better, but again is quite thin on forward thinking players.

Throw on the out of contract situation and mentality wise we are also behind some teams.

soonbe110

The writing is on the wall for both of them now. All the fans we have gained since the Championship season are set to vote with their feet and not renew their season tickets. I fear Budge is going to leave it till we are staring relegation in the face and Cathro will then walk before he is pushed.

Our DOF will then precede to appoint another apprentice to the top job while continuing to hide in the background.

Lets see if you know what you are talking about. Currently circa 14,000 season ticket holders. How many do you predict on opening game of next season?

Nookie Bear

Don't know if Better, but our team is poor, not much in it tbh Squad wise we are thin as hell and a central defence of bauben and Novak highlights we are poor, the teams you mentioned probably have a better pairing and a left back, possibly even a keeper.

I could also say the strike force of partick, Ross county and Motherwell is better than goncalves and Johnson as options.

Our midfield is better, but again is quite thin on forward thinking players.

Throw on the out of contract situation and mentality wise we are also behind some teams.

In fairness, we should have Hughes, Souttar and Paterson in defence and I doubt many clubs could cope with that kind of luck. Not comparing - OBVIOUSLY - but would Chelsea would have won the league had Cahill, Luiz and Alonso been injured for long spells?

Our attacking options are either poorly used, out of form or just sh1t.

tolcross lad

I don't quite get that.

By all accounts, Cathro's training is very good and his dedication, second to none. Could it not then be the case that the current squad just aren't up to the task?

BB.The current squad are not up to the task but could have done better under a good experienced manager.

I have no idea if Cathros training is very good or not.Jeffreys mantra was train as you play and play as you train.I think thats what we are seeing on the park.

Under Levein our recruitment policy has been chaotic and self defeating.Routinely players have been encouraged to move on or frozen out after little time to prove themselves.So much for team spirit.

We are now being told that recruitment policy is changing!Has Levein seen the error of his ways or has Budge seen the error of his ways.Whatever the shambles has contributed to Cathros predicament.It leaves me with little trust in what happens next

I see little evidence of a strong rapport between the Head coach and players.Good man management and an ability to motivate players is an essential requirement of the Head coach job.

Ten good players(of good character-remember that phrase ?)would certainly help any manager not just Cathro.

Buffalo Bill

BB.The current squad are not up to the task but could have done better under a good experienced manager.

I have no idea if Cathros training is very good or not.Jeffreys mantra was train as you play and play as you train.I think thats what we are seeing on the park.

Under Levein our recruitment policy has been chaotic and self defeating.Routinely players have been encouraged to move on or frozen out after little time to prove themselves.So much for team spirit.

We are now being told that recruitment policy is changing!Has Levein seen the error of his ways or has Budge seen the error of his ways.Whatever the shambles has contributed to Cathros predicament.It leaves me with little trust in what happens next

I see little evidence of a strong rapport between the Head coach and players.Good man management and an ability to motivate players is an essential requirement of the Head coach job.

Ten good players(of good character-remember that phrase ?)would certainly help any manager not just Cathro.

I don't think there are any characters in that team right now. Walkers is a good player. Djoum is a good player when he feels like it. Isma is a good player. But we need characters (I realise I sound like John Hughes here). 

I think Cathro is doing his very best with the current squad, but the players just appear to be going through the motions. I don't think that half of them give a shit. There is no team spirit.

We need to build a team, starting with Christophe Berra. Look at Aberdeen, solid, dependable, attacking down the flanks, consistent and full of spirit. That's what WE need.

Ann's 4,500-word mega statement said a lot of times, and little at others. But by far the most telling thing was this 'change in policy' re signings. Let's see what that is. Let's see how we do.

As I said, this thing will play itself out either way.

soonbe110

And it was Cathro and the sidekick who scouted and signed our squad. He has simply struggled to motivate established internationals.

I think it is about charisma and presence. He has none, so why should players care.

They signed three or four, not 'our squad'. Sowah, Choulay, Avlonitis, Struna not their signings. But hey just keep the rubbish going.

Bazzas right boot

In fairness, we should have Hughes, Souttar and Paterson in defence and I doubt many clubs could cope with that kind of luck. Not comparing - OBVIOUSLY - but would Chelsea would have won the league had Cahill, Luiz and Alonso been injured for long spells?

Our attacking options are either poorly used, out of form or just sh1t.

I agree, but the n terms of our first 15, to answer the question, we are not a good or big squad and are in all honesty a poor side.

I answered in more detail, but when you go through our team man for man it's a bit , well shiit. If Paterson, Souttar and Hughes are added to walker, isma Anne Djoum, even Cowie its a decent side.

Djoum hasn't been the same since back from afcon, and walker imo can't play every game, the trouble is we can't give him a rest Sam and chouley have been ehhh inconsistent.

The team of the last 6 months is a bottom six side.

Keeper- not ready since day one and Could do with a rest, even just mentally.

Defence- wiped out since January.

Middle- bit quality, but slow and lacking forward thinking players

Striker- relaying in isma.

Not great

Today we have Djoum in one paper telling the fans to back Cathro and in another we have Liam Smith telling us to lay of Hamilton. What i say to any player is do your talking when you are winning not when the fans are getting short changed by disorganised rubbish by players and management.

Bazzas right boot

Today we have Djoum in one paper telling the fans to back Cathro and in another we have Liam Smith telling us to lay of Hamilton. What i say to any player is do your talking when you are winning not when the fans are getting short changed by disorganised rubbish by players and management.

Players sticking together through a period of change and poor form.

Good stuff!

Mr Sifter

Edit. Didn't mean to post.

Mr Sifter

By the way whilst I'm on this thread, I voted for Cathro to stay. And I still want him to say.

I'll not add any more to the absolute tidal wave of polarised opinion other to say I've always said a coach/manager should have two windows before being judged. Cathros had one. And a January one at that.

I'm still behind Cathro and McPhee.

I don't think there are any characters in that team right now. Walkers is a good player. Djoum is a good player when he feels like it. Isma is a good player. But we need characters (I realise I sound like John Hughes here). 

I think Cathro is doing his very best with the current squad, but the players just appear to be going through the motions. I don't think that half of them give a shit. There is no team spirit.

We need to build a team, starting with Christophe Berra. Look at Aberdeen, solid, dependable, attacking down the flanks, consistent and full of spirit. That's what WE need.

Ann's 4,500-word mega statement said a lot of times, and little at others. But by far the most telling thing was this 'change in policy' re signings. Let's see what that is. Let's see how we do.

As I said, this thing will play itself out either way.

Kind of getting to the same point.. having mulled over the past few days \ pages of the threads.

If it was a cert that by November he was either doing a lot better or gone, I'd happiliy wait for that to play out. I'm happy to support whomever is there.

I voted go - but support comes regardless. I just fear for November time coming, the club to be doing a fraction better and the decision being made to carry on.

By November time if we are not a lot better SOMETHING needs to change in personnel, IMO

Watt-Zeefuik

I don't quite get that.

I similarly don't get the notion that the players we have now are garbage who won't fight for the jersey.  Last year Walker, Nicholson, Djoum, Buaben, and towards the end Kitchen were good enough to feature in a team that was McGhee handball here and bogus or missed pens there from challenging a solid Aberdeen team for second.  The Paterson and Souttar excuse is hollow too -- Cathro had both of them for five games and picked up a total of five points in that span, which included dropping points to Ross County, Partick, and Dundee.

Again, Djoum played 90 minutes to win a ACN final. Kitchen got a WC call-up.  Walker was widely considered one of the best young players in the country to start the season.

If it were just the players, our form would have been strong through December and then dropped off as we lost players.  Instead, we turned to shite as soon as Cathro turned up and a major changeover of players in the January window changed exactly nothing.

The current squad has some weak spots but there is simply no way a decent manager wouldn't get more out of them.  And I mean bog standard SPFL manager -- a Kenny Shiels or Peter Houston.

Cathro may very well grow into a fine manager -- I would not be at all surprised -- but right now he's way over his head and needs some time off to reflect on this disaster of a season and rethink his methods.  I firmly believe throwing him into another transfer window with the bright glare of Tynecastle on his back will just make him wilt. 

Quite prepared to the wait and see what the transfer window throws up. He's no excuse really if having brought him his and Leveins own picks the season starts poorly. No more excuses or mouthing "it will get better". It's shape up or ship out time for him.

Buffalo Bill

Kind of getting to the same point.. having mulled over the past few days \ pages of the threads.

If it was a cert that by November he was either doing a lot better or gone, I'd happiliy wait for that to play out. I'm happy to support whomever is there.

I voted go - but support comes regardless. I just fear for November time coming, the club to be doing a fraction better and the decision being made to carry on.

By November time if we are not a lot better SOMETHING needs to change in personnel, IMO

I would want a big improvement next season if Cathro stays on through the summer.

IC & AM alluded at last night's Q&A to the type of player we're going to bring in this summer.

Watt-Zeefuik

I'll also say that I just read Joel Sked's report on the Q&A event and it has me wavering in my "Cathro oot" vote.  I haven't flipped but the degree to which they sound as if they've learned their lessons from the recruiting window is impressive.

I still can't get the image of Cowie being subbed the weekend out of my head. Cathro has said all the right things ever since he showed up.  But his squad sheet and touchline decisions continue to be bizarre.

Central Belt 1874

I would want a big improvement next season if Cathro stays on through the summer.

IC & AM alluded at last night's Q&A to the type of player we're going to bring in this summer.

BB, do you think this 'change in policy' regarding signings means the coach has more say or less about who comes in? It's strange that the long term signings have been so poor that we are paying them to not play or play at other clubs.

kingantti1874

A lot of people's head turned by the PowerPoint I see.. did cathro really say anything that 90% of people haven't said on this board.. the problem is what he says, and what they've done is entirely opposite.. it was only Saturday he said they'd die trying to win the match against Aberdeen.. instead we spent it strolling around. We will buy players with the right attitude.. no shit Sherlock.. maybe should have thought of that before Martin and co..

Watt-Zeefuik

A lot of people's head turned by the PowerPoint I see.. did cathro really say anything that 90% of people haven't said on this board.. the problem is what he says, and what they've done is entirely opposite.. it was only Saturday he said they'd die trying to win the match against Aberdeen.. instead we spent it strolling around. We will buy players with the right attitude.. no shit Sherlock.. maybe should have thought of that before Martin and co..

The biggest change I heard was that they're going to stop shopping in the high risk/high reward section of the player market, or at least maybe do less of that.  We hit aces with Sow and Rossi and I think it gave us some unrealistic expectations.

Goncalves is an example of a safer signing and I agree with their assessment that he's a keeper.

Agree with every word. Season ticket sales will wake Budge up. 100%

Mr Sifter

Heads turned? Has the poll started moving in his favour again since last night? Genuine question, I've not been checking...

Buffalo Bill

A lot of people's head turned by the PowerPoint I see..

Just to say that personally, I've backed Cathro from the start and have done so throughout and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

BB, do you think this 'change in policy' regarding signings means the coach has more say or less about who comes in? It's strange that the long term signings have been so poor that we are paying them to not play or play at other clubs.

Re 'change in signing policy' IC & AM said last night, in so many words, that there will be a more British-based hunt for players. 

Robbie Neilson and Craig Levein had their own personal sources for finding players, but CL said that the head coach has the final say in which players come.

kingantti1874

Heads turned? Has the poll started moving in his favour again since last night? Genuine question, I've not been checking...

yep / probably 20/30 swing

kingantti1874

Just to say that personally, I've backed Cathro from the start and have done so throughout and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

Re 'change in signing policy' IC & AM said last night, in so many words, that there will be a more British-based hunt for players.

Robbie Neilson and Craig Levein had their own personal sources for finding players, but CL said that the head coach has the final say in which players come.

As is your right BB.. my view - he clearly hasn't managed anywhere near par with our current squad, they are minimums in terms of effort and application are missing despite the public statements as to what we will and won't be doing, he's publicly said the players aren't good enough, (maybe they aren't - but the are better than 11th and we're good enough for top 3 before he arrived)

He's done nothing to show he can get a group of players playing to the maximum.. not one solitary thing..

Honestly I find the continued tolerance of a manager who's record is beyond abysmal very strange indeed.. it's almost hard to believe how bad his record is when you compare him to previous managers and the assets they had at their disposal ..

Just about best post on this thread. Our squad is as weak as it's been since the relegation year when we had an embargo. Not sure anyone could get much more out of current squad. Huge summer coming up for Budge, Levein and Cathro. Need to sign at least six quality players, possibly more. Keeper, centre-half, left-back, two midfielders who are comfortable on the ball, winger, at least one striker. That's 7 for a start. There must be money available for decent signings given the attendances and FOH contributions plus Dev fees for Paterson, Nicholson and McGhee.

Agreed, Folk need to Remember our young squad barely got a break last year, nor a proper pre-season, Djoum especially and understandably is burnt out, add that to Souttar and Paterson and the inability to get two strikers in as the rest are poor it's been very tough for IC.

Who would know someone with the talent of Tziolis would turn into a complete wage thief also!

kingantti1874

Agreed, Folk need to Remember our young squad barely got a break last year, nor a proper pre-season, Djoum especially and understandably is burnt out, add that to Souttar and Paterson and the inability to get two strikers in as the rest are poor it's been very tough for IC.

Who would know someone with the talent of Tziolis would turn into a complete wage thief also!

Absolute garbage

So they all turned shite as soon as he walked through the door.. there isn't a player in our squad who wouldn't walk into Scotlands bottom 6 teams.. the excuses being made for this idiot are incredible

jambopilms

Changed my vote back to stay. They know what they want to do and hopefully moving on the crap and getting in who they want will get us back on track .

bauld willie

Changed my vote back to stay. They know what they want to do and hopefully moving on the crap and getting in who they want will get us back on track .

Will this be the same "crap" including the internationals who they themselves brought in. And you wish to give them a another chance...

Even the most optimistic Jambo knows starting next season away from home is going to make it a massive struggle with Cathro and Co. He has given us nothing to believe in other than the Rangers win in well over 20 games and his stats tell us all we need to know about where we are going.

Archived