Iain Cathro ongoing Poll and discussion Thread

cylawny

Cathro Poll  

1,521 members have voted

1. 1. Cathro stay or go

For the 'Hearts fans' who haven't realised it. We're still on a savage downward spiral that there is still no light at the end of.

That Q&A seems to have had a similar effect to winning a Scottish Cup, beating Celtic, Rangers and Hibs in the process.

We have became an utter embarrasment, its a ******* disgrace.

Smashing !

See you all Saturday for a jolly old knees-up !

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the 'Hearts fans' who haven't realised it. We're still on a savage downward spiral that there is still no light at the end of.

That Q&A seems to have had a similar effect to winning a Scottish Cup, beating Celtic, Rangers and Hibs in the process.

Smashing !

Smashing !

Bazzas right boot

Ooops !

Dodgy phone !

A Cathro phone.

Phone Oot!

A Cathro phone.

Phone Oot!

Izzat a new type of phone favoured by Levein but untried on any network? :tiny:

Watt-Zeefuik

Buffalo Bill, I would like it if you would address Cathro's performance in December.  The composition of the squad, up through Paterson's injury to Kilmarnock, was almost identical to what Neilson had available.  Djoum had not left for AFCON yet.

Calling that a "depleted squad" is just wrong IMO. Whom were we missing from the team that ran over Rangers 2-0 and made it look like it could have been 5-0?  What have I forgotten?

Bazzas right boot

I'll give it six months !!!!

Start a poll, it's what the cool kids do.

Watt-Zeefuik

Hootsman has him saying "four new signings."

Honest question -- do folks wanting to give him a summer window think that's enough of an influx?

Boabie Seethe

Buffalo Bill, I would like it if you would address Cathro's performance in December. The composition of the squad, up through Paterson's injury to Kilmarnock, was almost identical to what Neilson had available. Djoum had not left for AFCON yet.

Calling that a "depleted squad" is just wrong IMO. Whom were we missing from the team that ran over Rangers 2-0 and made it look like it could have been 5-0? What have I forgotten?

Cathro's win against Rangers was the best performance from a Hearts team in many years

Bowmans_Boot

Honest question -- do folks wanting to give him a summer window think that's enough of an influx?

With the right players I believe it could be.

siegementality

And the winner of the Drama Queen of the Thread award goes to...

Double it and it's closer to what we need.

Bazzas right boot

It the left sided players that are the issue.

I'm here all week.....

Buffalo Bill

Buffalo Bill, I would like it if you would address Cathro's performance in December.  The composition of the squad, up through Paterson's injury to Kilmarnock, was almost identical to what Neilson had available.  Djoum had not left for AFCON yet.

Calling that a "depleted squad" is just wrong IMO. Whom were we missing from the team that ran over Rangers 2-0 and made it look like it could have been 5-0?  What have I forgotten?

You've forgotten what I've written in previous posts. I am not defending Cathro's performance on the squad he inherited. Because we should judge him on the squad he builds - starting this summer, where I expect improvements and then the window after that, where I expect more improvements again, and so on.

Judging him on December performances is unfair because the guy was just in the door, with the media and half our support on his back from the off.

I didn't judge Alex MacDonald for failing to get Hearts promoted in season 81/82. I judged him on the magnificent team he built three years later.

I didn't judge Jim Jefferies when he took Hearts to the bottom of the league at the end of October 1995. I judged him on the Scottish Cup winning team and league challengers that he built two years later. 

And I didn't judge Craig Levein on the disappointing performances and league finish in 2001/02, I judged him on the two good seasons that followed having had to chance to build a decent side.

Give the guy a chance. If we haven't improved by October, you will probably get your wish.

Just seen cathro do a more confident STV interview....maybe he's turning the corner?

Ibrahim Tall

Possible, it depends on the players.

Also brings up an interesting argument, if our squad is genuinely that bad that it requires complete overhaul and perhaps 10+ signings then is it really fair to blame Cathro for not achieving anything with it?

Personally, with a better manager from day 1 of RN leaving I could have seen us finishing atleast 3rd with the squad we had/have.

Watt-Zeefuik

You've forgotten what I've written in previous posts. I am not defending Cathro's performance on the squad he inherited. Because we should judge him on the squad he builds - starting this summer, where I expect improvements and then the window after that, where I expect more improvements again, and so on.

Judging him on December performances is unfair because the guy was just in the door, with the media and half our support on his back from the off.

I didn't judge Alex MacDonald for failing to get Hearts promoted in season 81/82. I judged him on the magnificent team he built three years later.

I didn't judge Jim Jefferies when he took Hearts to the bottom of the league at the end of October 1995. I judged him on the Scottish Cup winning team and league challengers that he built two years later. 

And I didn't judge Craig Levein on the disappointing performances and league finish in 2001/02, I judged him on the two good seasons that followed having had to chance to build a decent side.

Give the guy a chance. If we haven't improved by October, you will probably get your wish..

Two things on this -- this is a shift from some of your most recent posts where you blamed Cathro's struggles on injury problems in the squad, which doesn't explain December.  I see no real change in results between December and after the window -- if anything, there was a slight uptick in our play in January, including the thumping of Rangers.  Paterson and Souttar were gone by then.  Upon closer inspection injuries really do not correlate with where we performed well and where we performed poorly.

On the last sentence -- this is just infuriating.  That's not my wish, that's my nightmare.  That we give a smart and well-meaning but hopelessly overmatched young coach three months of rope with which to hang himself, thereby stretching the current period of sub-mediocrity to lose us not just one but two entire seasons when conditions are available for us to be challenging for second.  We're flushing a window of opportunity for building success at this club down the window and it's making me pull my hair out.  I don't want Cathro gone now because he kicked my dog once, I want him out because I think he's the major cause of lost momentum and progress at the club.

Buffalo Bill

Two things on this -- this is a shift from some of your most recent posts where you blamed Cathro's struggles on injury problems in the squad, which doesn't explain December.  I see no real change in results between December and after the window -- if anything, there was a slight uptick in our play in January, including the thumping of Rangers.  Paterson and Souttar were gone by then.  Upon closer inspection injuries really do not correlate with where we performed well and where we performed poorly.

On the last sentence -- this is just infuriating.  That's not my wish, that's my nightmare.  That we give a smart and well-meaning but hopelessly overmatched young coach three months of rope with which to hang himself, thereby stretching the current period of sub-mediocrity to lose us not just one but two entire seasons when conditions are available for us to be challenging for second.  We're flushing a window of opportunity for building success at this club down the window and it's making me pull my hair out.  I don't want Cathro gone now because he kicked my dog once, I want him out because I think he's the major cause of lost momentum and progress at the club.

I happened to mention that the squad was depleted, very average, over-positioned and about to be under-performing. I'm not hung up on the fact that what I said was taken in any particular way by you or anyone else. No offence intended.

Look at the examples I gave you re MacDonald, Jefferies and Levein. I'm not saying things have been great so far. I'm simply saying let's give the guy a chance to build, like we gave those other managers all those years ago.

I'm playing the long-game here and I honestly think we will be in a good position soon that will set us up for a long period of sustained success.

We just need to close out this crappy season first.

socrates82

Missing opportunities is kind of what Hearts are renowned for. Perhaps it's just that taking that final step from challenger to real contender is the hardest step.

The thing I've always liked about being a Jambo though is the club never stops trying to better itself and push on from what we are historically - the best (biggest) club in Scotland outwith the OF (obviously we are the best club according to me and all Hearts fans). Some folk would do well to remember that and have a bit of perspective.

In fact, that desire and ambition has got us into a few big financial messes. I'd even argue that it was the reason we changed the squad so much in January instead of trying to muddle through this season with what we had. Fan expectations are great but they can also pressure the club into making mistakes at times.

Bungalow Bill

The entire January window was a disaster with the exception of Isma. We thought Paterson was going, he got injured, we signed international players who amazingly haven't worked out. That's football.

But after Monday, it's clear that Cathro has big plans, I'm on board with him. Cathro and Macphee genuinely believe they can get us to the group stages of the Europa League. We should support him. If we don't, it could be a big opportunity missed to actually progress as a club in the long term. Cathro's plans will run deep through the academy, players stepping up will know the system.

Yes we were 2nd, but really it was an artificial position, we weren't playing at all well. Robbie had the great win over Rangers, so did Cathro though.

We should support the management at the club, it's been a crap season but I'm fairly optimistic about next season now. It's just annoying that more folk couldn't have attended on Monday to listen to Cathro. He came across as the guy in charge to me.

I'll also add that after Sunday I was fully behind getting shot of him, I was probably still like that after Monday but after thinking about it all and processing it I'm fully behind him.

Remember also that the Glasgow media are desperate for Cathro to fail. They want him sacked now, yet at the same time they are saying the new Rangers managed should be given 3 transfer windows before he can be judged fairly! If Barry Ferguson had been given the Hearts job they'd be way more sympathetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And the winner of the Drama Queen of the Thread award goes to...

Realist?

Can't believe how a few answers seem to have made it okay to free fall from 2nd to 5th with the worst form of any Hearts manager EVER.

We will be the laughing stock of Scottish football and if that makes me a drama queen so be it :lol:

Tbh i'm not even sure I care anymore. It doesn't really matter I quite enjoy going to watch amatuer football on Saturdays - maybe that's something to look forward to next season.

Watt-Zeefuik

Well I seriously doubt Cathro would be making the comments he's making to the media if he weren't fairly sure that he were going to be employed at Hearts in August.  And I don't see Levein or Budge springing that kind of surprise on him.

I genuinely thought he'd get his marching orders after the Celtic game.  But that's looking much less likely.

So here's hoping for the best for him in the remainder of this sorry season and next year.  May he grow to be the next legendary Hearts manager.

Well I seriously doubt Cathro would be making the comments he's making to the media if he weren't fairly sure that he were going to be employed at Hearts in August.  And I don't see Levein or Budge springing that kind of surprise on him.

I genuinely thought he'd get his marching orders after the Celtic game.  But that's looking much less likely.

So here's hoping for the best for him in the remainder of this sorry season and next year.  May he grow to be the next legendary Hearts manager.

He can only hope

kingantti1874

Sick and tired of everybody blaming January.. Yeah it wasn't very good.. However - the manager is still failing to get the best from what we have.. This is a fact.

I think fans who only attend home games have no idea how shite we have been of late. If the Easter Road game had been on the box you would know what I am talking about.

I think fans who only attend home games have no idea how shite we have been of late. If the Easter Road game had been on the box you would know what I am talking about.

The vast majority of our fans only go to home games and as a result often don't understand just how badly and how negative we can play away from home.

Booing the team isn't something I have done very often in my 30 odd years watching Hearts. That night at ER was different though. I gave the team dogs abuse at HT. Shameful performance.

Ivan Drago

The entire January window was a disaster with the exception of Isma. We thought Paterson was going, he got injured, we signed international players who amazingly haven't worked out. That's football.

But after Monday, it's clear that Cathro has big plans, I'm on board with him. Cathro and Macphee genuinely believe they can get us to the group stages of the Europa League. We should support him. If we don't, it could be a big opportunity missed to actually progress as a club in the long term. Cathro's plans will run deep through the academy, players stepping up will know the system.

Yes we were 2nd, but really it was an artificial position, we weren't playing at all well. Robbie had the great win over Rangers, so did Cathro though.

We should support the management at the club, it's been a crap season but I'm fairly optimistic about next season now. It's just annoying that more folk couldn't have attended on Monday to listen to Cathro. He came across as the guy in charge to me.

I'll also add that after Sunday I was fully behind getting shot of him, I was probably still like that after Monday but after thinking about it all and processing it I'm fully behind him.

Remember also that the Glasgow media are desperate for Cathro to fail. They want him sacked now, yet at the same time they are saying the new Rangers managed should be given 3 transfer windows before he can be judged fairly! If Barry Ferguson had been given the Hearts job they'd be way more sympathetic.

So whose he signing that's going to take us to the next level when he can't get a performance out of these internationalists?

Ivan Drago

Sick and tired of everybody blaming January.. Yeah it wasn't very good.. However - the manager is still failing to get the best from what we have.. This is a fact.

I can't understand how people are blaming all our problems on the January window as opposed to Cathro when:

1-he signed all the players

And

2- he keeps playing half the jokers!

OmiyaHearts

It was horrific. Hard to remember a worse performance in recent years.

I'm generally calm at games but I lost it that night. Steward had to stop me getting on the pitch to have a go at our players.

Extremely embarrassed by my behaviour that night. The performance was more embarrassing.

The vast majority of our fans only go to home games and as a result often don't understand just how badly and how negative we can play away from home.

Booing the team isn't something I have done very often in my 30 odd years watching Hearts. That night at ER was different though. I gave the team dogs abuse at HT. Shameful performance.

It's been like watching one of the worst teams in the league away from home.

We can go whole halfs and create nothing.

I was the same at Easter Road. I had to go and calm down after their 2nd went in at the food kiosks and you got some fans who were lost for words and others who were punching brick walls.

Ask the 3800 Hearts fans that were there that night about Cathro and I'd wager over 70% would want Cathro out compared with 50% on here.

Starting next season away from home I feel could see emotions boiling over and it is something I and I'm sure everyone on here doesn't want to see.

Bungalow Bill

So whose he signing that's going to take us to the next level when he can't get a performance out of these internationalists?

Well Berra for a start. He's got the mentality required.

Apart from the odd fairy tale level of expectation I would be interested to hear if any fans of the current strategy (or for that matter those that want Cathro replaced) see us winning the league in this promised land? I don't and I really doubt our coaches do. Keeping in closer contention in the league, the odd cup and better performances in Europe would be my vision of sustained success. Am I too world weary or realistic?

Jambosammy

Cathro's win against Rangers was the best performance from a Hearts team in many years

Tbf rangers were shite

Apart from the odd fairy tale level of expectation I would be interested to hear if any fans of the current strategy (or for that matter those that want Cathro replaced) see us winning the league in this promised land? I don't and I really doubt our coaches do. Keeping in closer contention in the league, the odd cup and better performances in Europe would be my vision of sustained success. Am I too world weary or realistic?

Anybody that thinks the SPL could be won by any team other than the OF is delusional. 

Anybody that thinks the SPL could be won by any team other than the OF is delusional. 

I agree although there are some on here that fit that description in my opinion. Just in part clarifying what level of success people think is achievable to justify a prolonged period under Cathro. 

Nookie Bear

I wasn't there so appreciate I have been picking up scraps of info since. And I applaud the fact they stood up and did this.

But...what are they proposing that someone like, say, Peter Houston (or any other average manager) wouldn't? All the chat about the academy and players knowing the system is Leveins remit and, whilst Cathro needs to buy into that

, his primary responsibility is to set out and motivate a team to win games.

We have murder away from home leg before Cathro was here.

I go to most and some of the performances under Neilson were eye bleeding.

January was shit because of him.

The season was a right off because of him.

I can't get my head around those being reasons to defend him, when they were problems caused by him.

This Q & A night has turned a few peoples head. All i'd say is even if Cathro and McPhee can talk the talk so far they have failed to walk the walk. Judge what they are doing with what you see not with what they say.

siegementality

This Q & A night has turned a few peoples head. All i'd say is even if Cathro and McPhee can talk the talk so far they have failed to walk the walk. Judge what they are doing with what you see not with what they say.

Some people just have more open minds and can see the bigger picture. I'll judge Cathro when I see what he can do with his team, not some shambolic squad essentially put together by Levein.

siegementality

Realist?

Can't believe how a few answers seem to have made it okay to free fall from 2nd to 5th with the worst form of any Hearts manager EVER.

We will be the laughing stock of Scottish football and if that makes me a drama queen so be it :lol:

Tbh i'm not even sure I care anymore. It doesn't really matter I quite enjoy going to watch amatuer football on Saturdays - maybe that's something to look forward to next season.

Well you enjoy yourself whatever you decide to do. Meanwhile I'll be supporting Hearts, regardless.

Nookie Bear

Some people just have more open minds and can see the bigger picture. I'll judge Cathro when I see what he can do with his team, not some shambolic squad essentially put together by Levein.

I'm still unclear what the bigger picture is that some of us are missing.

Regardless of whose team it is, I have seen little to suggest he can galvanise any group of players.

ToadKiller Dog

I am still at a loss of how the coaching staff failed to get any of our new players in Jan to perform at the level they should be capable same for our longer serving players .

I would change things asap ,but the club ain't going to do that they are sticking ,so will have to take it on the chin .

Live in hope we don't feck it up as it could take a lot longer to fix .

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Robbie Neilson accepts your apology.

siegementality

I'm still unclear what the bigger picture is that some of us are missing.

Regardless of whose team it is, I have seen little to suggest he can galvanise any group of players.

Well there has been enough said about what the bigger picture is on this thread, some people have just decided to close their minds to it though.

Cathro and McPhee are two very highly regarded coaches. They have come to the club and found a squad lacking quality, a recruitment process that had in the main failed, hence the lack of quality. A number of players who were unhappy (Paterson, Nicholson, et al) prior to them even coming to the club. An academy that had a lack of talent and numbers hence they had to sign new youngsters. Those are just a few of the things they are putting right.

In addition injuries to key players at critical times. A "stockpile of left backs". The wrong type of player that is lacking in desire and fight. The players brought in in January were primarily brought in to plug a hole until Cathrine could sign the players he actually wanted.

The wheels were coming off/had come off many aspects of the footballing side. They have had to put that right. They deserve the chance to be judged on the job they can do with the right tools rather than some shite that was left to them or that are here to boost numbers.

siegementality

Robbie Neilson accepts your apology.

Robbie Neilson will have a long wait for an apology from me. I'm more inclined to think he should be apologising to me for the shite I had to watch. Still I hear he has a drink waiting for him behind the bar of a supporters club in Malta.

Archived