Iain Cathro ongoing Poll and discussion Thread

cylawny

Cathro Poll  

1,521 members have voted

1. 1. Cathro stay or go

I think we will sign decent players over the summer (Berra is a good start) and that the squad will look decent by the time we kick off.

But Cathro will fail to get the best out of them and will be on his way by Christmas, following an inconsistent W6 D6 L6 kind of record.

I agree with that. Ultimately I don't think he's going to be able to implement what he wants.

But whether he stays or goes, we'll be rebuilding this summer. At least Cathro has a vision and is ambitious about what he wants us to achieve. I think he should be given this summer to get players in, have a proper pre-season etc. If next season's as bad as this, he can go. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bauld willie

I agree with that. Ultimately I don't think he's going to be able to implement what he wants.

But whether he stays or goes, we'll be rebuilding this summer. At least Cathro has a vision and is ambitious about what he wants us to achieve. I think he should be given this summer to get players in, have a proper pre-season etc. If next season's as bad as this, he can go.

Quite incredible this comment.

Not only are you ignoring his 23 games he has had in charge, you are using blind faith to justify it.

Even worse you are suggesting he get the entire next season to experiment. We could be relegated by then...

Nookie Bear

I don't see anything different in what Cathro wants than what every other manager wants, to be honest, but that's been done to death on other threads.

Not only are you ignoring his 23 games he has had in charge, you are using blind faith to justify it.

Even worse you are suggesting he get the entire next season to experiment. We could be relegated by then...

No, I'm not. I'm just saying that I don't think the players he got in January would have been his ideal choices (to the extent he was involved at all). Some are clearly stop-gaps, and quite a lot of our current squad don't fit the way he wants to play.

Ideally, I think we need to show a bit of patience and let the management build a team. But he's been dreadful so far, and if he can't make it work with the benefit of a summer window and a pre-season, we all accept it's not working and we move on.

I also didn't mean that he should get the entirety of next season, but I appreciate that my earlier post wasn't clear. 

I don't see anything different in what Cathro wants than what every other manager wants, to be honest, but that's been done to death on other threads.

Maybe not. I think he's got a clearer vision of how he wants his teams to play than most managers at our level. Whether he will ever be able to make it work is a different question. 

Nookie Bear

Maybe not. I think he's got a clearer vision of how he wants his teams to play than most managers at our level. Whether he will ever be able to make it work is a different question. 

I would say every manager has a clear idea on how he wants his players to play, and then adapts that to the circumstances (quality of his players, quality of the opposition etc).

Feel Cathro is too 'big picture' sometimes and needs to learn to grind out some results. Let Levein worry about the big picture.

Buffalo Bill

Although this comment wasn't directed at me, I'd like to respond to it:

For those of us in the minority who want Cathro to stay, I think it's less 'blind faith' and more 'deductive reasoning'.

There are a number of factors why I think Cathro should be given the summer to construct his squad and into next season to allow that squad to settle in a gather momentum.

A lot of the argument against Cathro is that "we were 2nd in the league" when he took over and that "Hearts have been rubbish in all his games so far". Neither statement is true. The crux of the matter is that Cathro, with a depleted, average squad, complemented with a number of short term January signings has failed to get this current group of players performing particularly well on a consistent basis. Nobody on my side of the debate would suggest otherwise.

The crux of my argument has always been based on not what he's done so far, but what might he achieve if given a proper go at it. My side needs patience. Why should he be given that chance? Because he is rated as being someone who could become a very special and talented head coach. His techniques are, in theory, modern and progressive. If, as has been stated, the club has learned from mistakes of recent transfer windows, then recruitment policy should be a lot better this summer. I believe he should be given a chance to have a summer as Hearts' head coach.

We don't back Cathro because of 'blind faith'. Blind faith is a zealous characteristic belonging mostly to the other side of the argument, going by what I've read on here recently. The pitch forks have been sharpened. The torches are lit. The 'Tommy Wright' Brigade are up in arms and ready to storm the gates.

It takes reason, all our debating skills...and a bit of balls to back Cathro in these tough times.

Nookie Bear

Fair response BB, but what techniques do you think he is bringing that are "...in theory, modern and progressive"?

For those of us in the minority who want Cathro to stay, I think it's less 'blind faith' and more 'deductive reasoning'.

There are a number of factors why I think Cathro should be given the summer to construct his squad and into next season to allow that squad to settle in a gather momentum.

A lot of the argument against Cathro is that "we were 2nd in the league" when he took over and that "Hearts have been rubbish in all his games so far". Neither statement is true. The crux of the matter is that Cathro, with a depleted, average squad, complemented with a number of short term January signings has failed to get this current group of players performing particularly well on a consistent basis. Nobody on my side of the debate would suggest otherwise.

The crux of my argument has always been based on not what he's done so far, but what might he achieve if given a proper go at it. My side needs patience. Why should he be given that chance? Because he is rated as being someone who could become a very special and talented head coach. His techniques are, in theory, modern and progressive. If, as has been stated, the club has learned from mistakes of recent transfer windows, then recruitment policy should be a lot better this summer. I believe he should be given a chance to have a summer as Hearts' head coach.

We don't back Cathro because of 'blind faith'. Blind faith is a zealous characteristic belonging mostly to the other side of the argument, going by what I've read on here recently. The pitch forks have been sharpened. The torches are lit. The 'Tommy Wright' Brigade are up in arms and ready to storm the gates.

It takes reason, all our debating skills...and a bit of balls to back Cathro in these tough times.

BB I accept some are more impressed by his track record than others and some have more belief than others. My query on the previous page was how likely it is that this debate will be sorted any time soon as I predicted better recruitment and an in betweeny improvement in results that won't satisfy either side of a divided support. On the TW debate I reckon he , among others, would be a safer bet but we  will never know.

Buffalo Bill

BB I accept some are more impressed by his track record than others and some have more belief than others. My query on the previous page was how likely it is that this debate will be sorted any time soon as I predicted better recruitment and an in betweeny improvement in results that won't satisfy either side of a divided support. On the TW debate I reckon he , among others, would be a safer bet but we  will never know.

I think Tommy Wright would be a safer bet too to get us 4th or something.

But I don't want a safe bet Tommy Wright-type manager at this point. I would like to see this things through. 

I think Tommy Wright would be a safer bet too to get us 4th or something.

But I don't want a safe bet Tommy Wright-type manager at this point. I would like to see this things through. 

Do you have any schedule in mind for the improvement to keep your faith? A lot of people have quoted October, Xmas etc where I reckon the case will not have been made, accepting few things in life are black or white.

Do you have any schedule in mind for the improvement to keep your faith? A lot of people have quoted October, Xmas etc where I reckon the case will not have been made, accepting few things in life are black or white.

I know this wasn't directed at me but I think I'm broadly in the same place as BB so I'll jump in this time...

For me, I want to see progress in the first few months of next season. That means I want to see a more cohesive and attractive style of football, better results, good players brought in who fit the model, a consistent team selection, generally a lot more excitement.

If we're still struggling to draw with average teams at Tynecastle and regularly going down without a fight away from home by Christmas - like the second half of this season - I'll accept that it's unlikely to work and he should go. 

Equally, expectations have to be realistic and people have to accept that if this is going to work, it will take time. That means we probably shouldn't expect to be challenging for the league, or miles ahead of Aberdeen, by November. If we're in the top 4, playing reasonably well and the football's actually OK to watch by Christmas, I'll take that.

Other people might have slightly higher or lower standards, but there doesn't have to be a firm deadline by which we have to be amazing. If there are signs of progress, then for me, it's OK. The important thing is that we move forward and not just hit restart all the time.

I know this wasn't directed at me but I think I'm broadly in the same place as BB so I'll jump in this time...

For me, I want to see progress in the first few months of next season. That means I want to see a more cohesive and attractive style of football, better results, good players brought in who fit the model, a consistent team selection, generally a lot more excitement.

If we're still struggling to draw with average teams at Tynecastle and regularly going down without a fight away from home by Christmas - like the second half of this season - I'll accept that it's unlikely to work and he should go. 

Equally, expectations have to be realistic and people have to accept that if this is going to work, it will take time. That means we probably shouldn't expect to be challenging for the league, or miles ahead of Aberdeen, by November. If we're in the top 4, playing reasonably well and the football's actually OK to watch by Christmas, I'll take that.

Other people might have slightly higher or lower standards, but there doesn't have to be a firm deadline by which we have to be amazing. If there are signs of progress, then for me, it's OK. The important thing is that we move forward and not just hit restart all the time.

All fair but highlights the liklihood of ongoing debate as either extreme of performance seems unlikely. Not proven verdict seems likely so it will rest with judge budge.

Ivan Drago

Bonkers that the club have pulled it off. We are the most gullible supporters going :lol:

It all reminds me of the Simpsons episode where the guy convinced the town they needed a monorail.

Bowmans_Boot

For those of us in the minority who want Cathro to stay, I think it's less 'blind faith' and more 'deductive reasoning'.

A lot of the argument against Cathro is that "we were 2nd in the league" when he took over and that "Hearts have been rubbish in all his games so far". Neither statement is true. The crux of the matter is that Cathro, with a depleted, average squad, complemented with a number of short term January signings has failed to get this current group of players performing particularly well on a consistent basis. Nobody on my side of the debate would suggest otherwise.

The crux of my argument has always been based on not what he's done so far, but what might he achieve if given a proper go at it. My side needs patience. Why should he be given that chance? Because he is rated as being someone who could become a very special and talented head coach. His techniques are, in theory, modern and progressive. If, as has been stated, the club has learned from mistakes of recent transfer windows, then recruitment policy should be a lot better this summer. I believe he should be given a chance to have a summer as Hearts' head coach.

We don't back Cathro because of 'blind faith'. Blind faith is a zealous characteristic belonging mostly to the other side of the argument, going by what I've read on here recently. The pitch forks have been sharpened. The torches are lit. The 'Tommy Wright' Brigade are up in arms and ready to storm the gates.

Excellent post and where I am.

I am still excited by the prospect of what Cathro's team could achieve.

Bonkers that the club have pulled it off. We are the most gullible supporters going :lol:

I don't think they have. A lot of us have seen enough and heard enough to feel that Cathro is unlikely to take us where some people think he can (I am not meaning the Championship) but accept he is still here. What I am saying is I don't believe the results in the first part of next season will be good enough or bad enough to sway everyone. I remain unconvinced the guy has all the abilities to achieve what his supporters think he can and remain also unconvinced about Levein's model. The latter is something that has taken a big hit this season.

Geoff Kilpatrick

It all reminds me of the Simpsons episode where the guy convinced the town they needed a monorail.

Did Cathro say in his interview that his vision was more of a Hibernian / Shelbyville idea?

:laugh:

I'm far from convinced by Cathro, but think we are as well just getting right behind him for the time being. He isn't going anywhere soon, so we can either spend all summer moaning,or we can try and be a bit more optimistic about things.

It would certainly help if we can produce a performance on Saturday. Rangers are absolutely terrible too, so we have a chance.

Ivan Drago

Did Cathro say in his interview that his vision was more of a Hibernian / Shelbyville idea?

:laugh:

I look forward to the monorail song replacing the Hearts song next season

bauld willie

For those of us in the minority who want Cathro to stay, I think it's less 'blind faith' and more 'deductive reasoning'.

A lot of the argument against Cathro is that "we were 2nd in the league" when he took over and that "Hearts have been rubbish in all his games so far". Neither statement is true. The crux of the matter is that Cathro, with a depleted, average squad, complemented with a number of short term January signings has failed to get this current group of players performing particularly well on a consistent basis. Nobody on my side of the debate would suggest otherwise.

The crux of my argument has always been based on not what he's done so far, but what might he achieve if given a proper go at it. My side needs patience. Why should he be given that chance? Because he is rated as being someone who could become a very special and talented head coach. His techniques are, in theory, modern and progressive. If, as has been stated, the club has learned from mistakes of recent transfer windows, then recruitment policy should be a lot better this summer. I believe he should be given a chance to have a summer as Hearts' head coach.

We don't back Cathro because of 'blind faith'. Blind faith is a zealous characteristic belonging mostly to the other side of the argument, going by what I've read on here recently. The pitch forks have been sharpened. The torches are lit. The 'Tommy Wright' Brigade are up in arms and ready to storm the gates.

Cheered up my morning with this.

What he might achieve...

And you are not using blind faith!

rudi must stay

Stay. We are in a good position, 5th and never going to be in relegation trouble IMO. We can afford to stick with them, and at this minute in time all you are going to get to replace him is someone that's after 3rd. That's another possible positive, if Cathro does well it could open the door for good profile foreign managers to be interested in managing Hearts

bauld willie

I'm far from convinced by Cathro, but think we are as well just getting right behind him for the time being. He isn't going anywhere soon, so we can either spend all summer moaning,or we can try and be a bit more optimistic about things.

It would certainly help if we can produce a performance on Saturday. Rangers are absolutely terrible too, so we have a chance.

Whilst most including myself will fully understand your sentiment, it is not based on reality.

The camps are entrenched and Cathro's name is now toxic. He has had his honeymoon period and huge percentage of our support will never now give him the benefit of the doubt on anything. The disharmony he creates is something we can do without.

Is been said before, it's only a matter of time now and he's just a dead man walking.

The only way you will unite everyone again, is under the banner of a new manager.

Bazzas right boot

Lol

On that note we need a song, get everyone on board.

Lol

Anything suitable on an old Blind Faith album? :tiny:

Whilst most including myself will fully understand your sentiment, it is not based on reality.

The camps are entrenched and Cathro's name is now toxic. He has had his honeymoon period and huge percentage of our support will never now give him the benefit of the doubt on anything. The disharmony he creates is something we can do without.

Is been said before, it's only a matter of time now and he's just a dead man walking.

The only way you will unite everyone again, is under the banner of a new manager.

Utter bullshit. His names toxic? Dead man walking? Huge percentage won't give him the benefit of the doubt?

Utter crap. We hear it, you don't like him. You've spent almost every post recently tryin to tell us all why we too shouldn't like him. That's fine. But dinnae make shite up tho.

It's only a matter of time now aye? Ffs

Ivan Drago

Lol

That's the only thing Cathro was missing on Monday! Missed a trick there.

Bowmans_Boot

Utter bullshit. His names toxic? Dead man walking? Huge percentage won't give him the benefit of the doubt?

Utter crap. We hear it, you don't like him. You've spent almost every post recently tryin to tell us all why we too shouldn't like him. That's fine. But dinnae make shite up tho.

It's only a matter of time now aye? Ffs

Another few good signings and a good start to next season and 99% of fans will be raving about Cathro. We all know how fickle football fans are.

Nookie Bear

Another few good signings and a good start to next season and 99% of fans will be raving about Cathro. We all know how fickle football fans are.

I would like nothing better than to be on the end of a huge "I told you so" from the JKB masses.

We shall see!

I would like nothing better than to be on the end of a huge "I told you so" from the JKB masses.

We shall see!

Better not tell Mrs Bear that!

Ivan Drago

We shall see!

Whatever happens next season there is going to be some outrageous bumps on here :laugh:

Bowmans_Boot

We shall see!

I have no desire to say, "I told you so", I simply want a happy, united Hearts support totally behind a team winning and playing attractive football.

bighalders

.BB I really hope you are right.  As someone who wants Cathro out now, I'd love to come on here in a year or so and apologise for being so rash and say well done those who supported Cathro and sticking with him.  My only concern is if it doesn't work and we get to the end of September and we're circa 10th in the league and the players/performance is similar to now and as a result the Board lose faith in Cathro and sack him.  Theres no way Levein will leave so we would then get in another trainee junior apprentice manager with no experience and he'd have to some how work a miracle transform what he has inherited and pray we are still in a position to avoid relegation when the January transfer window comes along so he can bring in his new team.  That plan does give me genuine fears of relegation so to stick with Cathro now is a big risk so as I said at the start I really hope you are right but I'd like to see Levein and Cathro emptied and Alex Neil brought in (I know I'm dreaming but hey ho)

Nookie Bear

I have no desire to say, "I told you so", I simply want a happy, united Hearts support totally behind a team winning and playing attractive football.

Good luck with that !

I WISH!!!

Nookie Bear

When we start winning (& beat Hibs) it will come ?

Tell you something, if we can fluke a win at parkhead on the last day of the season i'll be campaigning to name the new stand after him

Not sure how that makes the fans fickle. After all, a winning team is what we all want. I couldn't care who leads us to success, just that we have as much success as possible.

A few exciting signings early doors will hopefully turn pessimism into optimism over the summer.

Buffalo Bill

About October/November time. If we've not improved by then...the writing will be on the wall, I should imagine.

Whilst we all bow to your superiority, I would personally state that I've back Cathro throughout, and not on the back of his recent Q&A thing.

Cheered up my morning with this.

What he might achieve...

And you are not using blind faith!

Well I'm glad I've cheered you up.

If I'm wrong, I will happily admit to being wrong.

But if I'm right ... I'll be right here :)

About October/November time. If we've not improved by then...the writing will be on the wall, I should imagine.

Whilst we all bow to your superiority, I would personally state that I've back Cathro throughout, and not on the back of his recent Q&A thing.

But if I'm right ... I'll be right here :)

Eh? Strange post.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

But if I'm right ... I'll be right here :)

One less thing we can call Hibs fans.

Bowmans_Boot

Not sure how that makes the fans fickle. After all, a winning team is what we all want. I couldn't care who leads us to success, just that we have as much success as possible.

A few exciting signings early doors will hopefully turn pessimism into optimism over the summer.

Yeah, fickle was probably the wrong word.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Don't we all?

bauld willie

I'm sorry if you can't see it, but Cathro has split the support more than anyone since Romanov and we all know it.

The honeymoon period with Cathro is over and I notice you omitted that.

I'm sorry if you can't see it, but Cathro has split the support more than anyone since Romanov and we all know it.

The honeymoon period with Cathro is over and I notice you omitted that.

Genuinely dunno what yer talkin about re honeymoon period, but I'll concede that's long gone (who decides how long these periods even last? If we were doin well would we still be 'in' the honeymoon period? It's a daft phrase which means nowt so why you're pulling me up on that God knows).

There's no denying there's a split in the fan base just now, but you're banding about 'he's a dead man walking' and 'it's only a matter of time' as if they're fact. And your wrong.

Speak for yourself by all means, but don't sit there and think you can pass off your opinions as gospel ffs.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Thankfully Ann will be not listening to this poll

:smugger:

Bazzas right boot

Tell you something, if we can fluke a win at parkhead on the last day of the season i'll be campaigning to name the new stand after him

We're doing that.

Scene's!

For the 'Hearts fans' who haven't realised it. We're still on a savage downward spiral that there is still no light at the end of.

That Q&A seems to have had a similar effect to winning a Scottish Cup, beating Celtic, Rangers and Hibs in the process.

We have became an utter embarrasment, its a ****ing disgrace.

For the 'Hearts fans' who haven't realised it. We're still on a savage downward spiral that there is still no light at the end of.

That Q&A seems to have had a similar effect to winning a Scottish Cup, beating Celtic, Rangers and Hibs in the process.

We have became an utter embarrasment, its a ******* disgrace.

Smashing !

See you all Saturday for a jolly old knees-up !

Archived