cylawny

Cathro Poll  

1,521 members have voted

1. 1. Cathro stay or go

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yikes, here goes...

I'm still backing Cathro as per my 'give him until October' mantra which is what I've stated all along. I've also said that the team needs a complete, not a partial overhaul. Last night's team still has players in there that should no longer be getting a game for Hearts, imo. We started off the summer signing six players, but we've not signed anyone else for weeks now. We still need a new goalkeeper and two midfielders.

In saying that, last night's result was an absolute shocker and does Cathro no favours at all. I should imagine this result ranks as one of the most embarrassing in our history. I can only think of Montrose in the League Cup in 1986 as a comparison. The only potential saving grace is that it wasn't a straight knockout tie. We still have Saturday to salvage the situation.

The knives are out though, I get that.

I respect your viewpoint but last night the performance was dire never mind the result. I think he has reached the end of the line. Can't see any signs of progress. He has got the players he wanted and can't get any thing out of them.

Times up

I really think that a rethink is required by the people ing the club. Results like this just cannot be allowed to continue. We had a disasterous run from January and we were told it would all turn round. Even with the new faces it would seem that these is some sort of malaise in the coaching of the team. Saturday is going to be pivotal in my opinion. If we lose then Cathro has to be shown the door.

Buffalo Bill

I respect your viewpoint but last night the performance was dire never mind the result. I think he has reached the end of the line. Can't see any signs of progress. He has got the players he wanted and can't get any thing out of them.

Times up

If that's him settled on the squad for this season then I'd suggest you're right.

But I still think we're about four players short of what we need. Goalkeeper, two midfielders, another striker maybe.

I think many Hearts fans wanted Cathro to be a success - almost more so than any other incoming manager; he had a decent coaching pedigree, he seemed to have a different philosophy from the football dinosaurs (which in turn annoyed the football dinosaurs - another reason we wanted him to be a success to get it right up people like Boyd) and  he talked a good game:

(What will the fans get? A team that wants to win. A team that when the first whistle goes, irrespective of the circumstances, the opponent, home, away, rain, sun, no matter what. When the first whistle goes we will expect to win. And we will work to find a way in which we believe that we can win. ?We?re going to want to use the ball, we?re going to want to be incredibly energetic, we?ll want to attack and score goals. We want to be aggressive and be as close to the opponent?s goal as we possibly can.We?ll make it an exciting place to come. Will it always be perfect? No it won?t.But everybody will be at maximum all the time. It could be an enjoyable ride.?)

He has had his honeymoon. He has had a pre-season, He has had financial backing. He arrived at a club 2nd in the table (regardless of games in hand). Yes there have been injuries, yes certain players have underperformed and yes out transfer policy has been questionable.

I wanted the experiment to work. But sadly it has not and I have absolutely NO confidence it will. Can anyone point to improvements in playing style or attitudes since he took over that point to causes for optimism.

Results are horrific BUT almost more worryingly is the fact, performances are too. You could settle for either or in the short term at least but not both.

In my opinion, there is no justification for Cathro remaining as Hearts manager - he will be gone before the end of the season so why not sooner rather than later?

If that's him settled on the squad for this season then I'd suggest you're right.

But I still think we're about four players short of what we need. Goalkeeper, two midfielders, another striker maybe.

How many players is he allowed to sign before we realise he's the problem, not the players?

The Dunfermline game will be a big test for the mettle of this group of players and whether Cathro/McPhee can motivate them.

If we perform well and win then that will be a good confidence booster for the Celtic game although I doubt very much if we have any chance of picking anything up from this game other than a number of bookings and maybe a red for Lafferty.

The problem we had last season was that when we had a half decent performance/result it was followed by another shocker.

It is a worry that we have struggled against lower league opponents and hard to imagine that we can improve to the extent to be able to beat other SPFL clubs.

I really hope we can do it but I just can't see it happening unfortunately.

I'm behind the team and the manager. We are trying something quite radically different, this takes time and nights like last night will happen.

I get where you are coming from, but if nights like last night happen - maybe the whole plan is too radical in the first place? Begs the question - where is the plan for Heart Of Midlothian FC - ON THE PITCH in all of this?

Heard plenty about developing young managers and talent - but does the plan include it being a means to an end on the field? I'm lost as to what this radical plan actually is other than a load of old blether?!

Rudi5kaceldream1ng

Ian Cathro is the worst manager in the entire history of the football club.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that Cathro kicks the season off on the back of 4 successive League defeats... By the time we play Aberdeen it's highly likely we'll have lost 8 Premier League matches in a row.

The form table shows us bottom of the table since he arrived. After next week's match at Parkhead we'll be bottom of the table for real. In 8 months as Manager IC has provided no evidence to suggest he can do better.

These are shocking observations, and a potential disaster, that sum up where we are after this frankly irresponsible appointment of a totally inexperienced and inadequate first team coach.

I have no doubt that if we fail to beat Dunfermline and exit the LC (a cup Levein and Cathro stated was one of our priorities this season) and we lose the first 4 league games, Budge will demand a change.

The question is, does Cathro play the part of the fall guy, or does Levein also fall on his sword for appointing Cathro in the first place?

TyphoonJambo

I'm still on the fence re Cathro but I still see a role for CL. If we want a long term future we need to develop the academy. That's his biggest future legacy for me.

I'm still on the fence re Cathro but I still see a role for CL. If we want a long term future we need to develop the academy. That's his biggest future legacy for me.

And see when all these youngsters progress from the Academy into the first team - what kind of shite are they going to be playing with Levein's negative influence on the way we play our football.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Nothing has shifted my viewpoint from last season. Our signings have been decent but he's unable to deliver in results or style of play.

My prediction of 7th to 9th stays too.

What are CL's credentials for developing the academy?

im going for hamilton game when cathro will get the bullet

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

My concerns about the appointment, made before it was even confirmed were around around game and man management experience. Eight months after the appointment those concerns have been reinforced.

I think Cathro is most probably a very capable coach, however huge doubts remain about him in a leadership position.

I think if we lost on Saturday and the opening four, his position might well be untenable regardless of what I think.

For me to 'give him until October', including October itself, means that by then, we'd have to be in a decent position, playing and winning games like a good team. So the points would have to come from somewhere. To answer your question though, yes, I'd still back him if we lost the opening four, but it would mean he'd have to win the next six games or so after that.

I think that with Cathro, we need to play the long game, similar to what Man Utd did with Alex Ferguson in the late-1980s. This season, I'm looking for improvements.

We'll find out soon enough.

Ferguson said he had a fear factor over his players which Cathro will never have. Cathro needs an Archie Knox type behind him. I'm not saying our players are trouble makers like Ferguson inherited but unless Hughes and Berra take on the managers role on the pitch we're going nowhere. I can't remember a time when I've felt so badly about a manager. If he gets to October and we're bottom of the league then we'll have little left to play for.

I've said stay,but only just.

I'm really torn between not acting too hasty and also hoping he can prove utter welts in the west coast media wrong. Erses like Boyd etc.

He has probably 8 games not the league. Not sure why 8 tbh

Unsurprising to see the poll move back to sack him after we have started playing games again.

ToadKiller Dog

He will be in place for a good while yet , the board does not want to sack him and they won't until they are left with no other alternative ,so to me that says November at the very earliest or more likely the new year .

Giving the new guy an up hill struggle from day 1 and likely a dangerous Scottish cup tie .

The only way that will change is if he himself resigns .

Saturday's games result won't make a blind bit of difference to his backing at board level .

Buffalo Bill

Ferguson said he had a fear factor over his players which Cathro will never have. Cathro needs an Archie Knox type behind him. I'm not saying our players are trouble makers like Ferguson inherited but unless Hughes and Berra take on the managers role on the pitch we're going nowhere. I can't remember a time when I've felt so badly about a manager. If he gets to October and we're bottom of the league then we'll have little left to play for.

I not comparing Cathro with SAF in terms of management style, but instead the 'project'-level of time the latter was given between Dec 1986 - May 1990.

If we're still struggling in October, I certainly won't be on here defending Cathro but I still think that is a reasonable timescale to allow him to achieve a general sense of improvement which will hopefully lead to another level of improvement after that and so on.

Last night was a terrible, but not fatal blow.

All roads lead to Gorgie

im going for hamilton game when cathro will get the bullet

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Can we ask for that game to be brought forward before the Parkheid game; Please.

I not comparing Cathro with SAF in terms of management style, but instead the 'project'-level of time the latter was given between Dec 1986 - May 1990.

If we're still struggling in October, I certainly won't be on here defending Cathro but I still think that is a reasonable timescale to allow him to achieve a general sense of improvement which will hopefully lead to another level of improvement after that and so on.

Minor difference that the former had a bit of a track record before going to Utd.......it's hard not to have doubts when someone with no proven record is struggling so badly.....

Buffalo Bill

Minor difference that the former had a bit of a track record before going to Utd.......it's hard not to have doubts when someone with no proven record is struggling so badly.....

Agree, and it's probably a major difference but both men were highly-rated by those who employed them to compete in the long-term.

Agree, and it's probably a major difference but both men were highly-rated by those who employed them to compete in the long-term.

You could understand why SAF was highly rated by the MU Board - he took on the OF and won league titles and cups - including a European trophy beating Real Madrid!

Cathro was highly rated by Levein based on what exactly????   A hunch?  A guess?

I can see what BB means but let's leave any SAF chat out of this.

Simple fact is, he has to win on Saturday and, at least take something from at least two of the four opening League games.

If he doesn't the dissent may be too much and fixing it early will be on the cards.

black stump

I always thought he should be given time, but time is running out. We should be performing far better, especially with the new players he has brought in.

his record since joining is shocking, and it needs to improve drastically before the damage is irreparable..

The Mighty Thor

I want Cathro to do well because I want Hearts to do well but wanting Cathro to do well is beginning to feel like watching the great escape and wanting Steve McQueen to finally jump the fence.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

I want Cathro to do well because I want Hearts to do well but wanting Cathro to do well is beginning to feel like watching the great escape and wanting Steve McQueen to finally jump the fence.

Cathro's still trying to get oot the tunnel !

Geoff Kilpatrick

Fergie finished 2nd in his first full season, 9 points behind probably the best Liverpool team in history.

The Ferguson comparison is shite and has always been shite.

Buffalo Bill

Fergie finished 2nd in his first full season, 9 points behind probably the best Liverpool team in history.

The Ferguson comparison is shite and has always been shite.

See previous posts about how I'm not comparing Cathro to Ferguson.

:gok:

I think many Hearts fans wanted Cathro to be a success - almost more so than any other incoming manager; he had a decent coaching pedigree, he seemed to have a different philosophy from the football dinosaurs (which in turn annoyed the football dinosaurs - another reason we wanted him to be a success to get it right up people like Boyd) and he talked a good game:

(What will the fans get? A team that wants to win. A team that when the first whistle goes, irrespective of the circumstances, the opponent, home, away, rain, sun, no matter what. When the first whistle goes we will expect to win. And we will work to find a way in which we believe that we can win. ?We?re going to want to use the ball, we?re going to want to be incredibly energetic, we?ll want to attack and score goals. We want to be aggressive and be as close to the opponent?s goal as we possibly can.We?ll make it an exciting place to come. Will it always be perfect? No it won?t.But everybody will be at maximum all the time. It could be an enjoyable ride.?)

He has had his honeymoon. He has had a pre-season, He has had financial backing. He arrived at a club 2nd in the table (regardless of games in hand). Yes there have been injuries, yes certain players have underperformed and yes out transfer policy has been questionable.

I wanted the experiment to work. But sadly it has not and I have absolutely NO confidence it will. Can anyone point to improvements in playing style or attitudes since he took over that point to causes for optimism.

Results are horrific BUT almost more worryingly is the fact, performances are too. You could settle for either or in the short term at least but not both.

In my opinion, there is no justification for Cathro remaining as Hearts manager - he will be gone before the end of the season so why not sooner rather than later?

I hate the language he uses: "we're going to want" this, do that use this.

Rather than say we will 'want' those things, say those are the things we are going to do.

At the moment he's the blind guy picking up the pin. 

May one-six

Patience is a virtue, but all those suggesting we stay with Cathro for a little longer have nothing - absolutely nothing - to base that sentiment on. His results are historically woeful and the performances of the team and individual players have not improved by one iota since he got the job. To give home more time is simple wishful thinking in the face of harsh reality.

On the pitch I really believe we are in a similar position now than we were in for most of the 70s - unable to put a team together that the supporters can have faith in, and neither the wit, ability or hunger in the management team to change things. That period in our history saw us relegated. Cathro is on track to emulate it.

Robbo-Jambo

Last season  =  6 out of 25 wins IIRC .

This season =  Elgin 0 Hearts 1    Peterhead 2 Hearts 1

Dunfermline 6 Elgin 0   Dunfermline 5 Peterhead 1

Two different teams with the same **** of a manager.

How the **** is this guy still here.

No other club would put up with these stats.

He is the worse manager in our entire history with last seasons stats, yet he is still here doing the exact same thing this season.

Absolutely beyond belief.

Levein has a lot to answer for, he brought in this little clueless welt of a man here.

Struggle to even look or listen to his embarrassing interviews.

Patience is a virtue, but all those suggesting we stay with Cathro for a little longer have nothing - absolutely nothing - to base that sentiment on. His results are historically woeful and the performances of the team and individual players have not improved by one iota since he got the job. To give home more time is simple wishful thinking in the face of harsh reality.

On the pitch I really believe we are in a similar position now than we were in for most of the 70s - unable to put a team together that the supporters can have faith in, and neither the wit, ability or hunger in the management team to change things. That period in our history saw us relegated. Cathro is on track to emulate it.

I honestly can't see it getting to that point.

Not going on Saturday but going to the first four away games. I will know what's what after those games.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I believe the players signed are good ones. Not performing to the high standards they are capable of is worrying.

Cathros real problem is he wants to be setting the opposition a puzzle but all he is achieving is a puzzle for his own players.

Ffs Cathro simplify and give us all a break rather than try to prove you are a football genius. Getting beat from Peterhead must tell you something about yourself

Buffalo Bill

I don't think you can compare the situation now with the 70s. I honestly don't think it will get to that stage. In the 1970s, Hearts were, according to John Fairgrieve, a 'closed shop'. Very little information came out of the club. It was unwelcoming, unambitious, lacking in direction and morale was at a low ebb. We were a complete shambles from top to bottom.

I don't think the Hearts of 2017 is anything like that now. Everything about Hearts is about building for success from the fantastic academy facilities, to the new stand and to having over 13,000 season ticket holders. We are building up a new-look team which suffered a horrendous result last night, but at least we seem to be bringing in the right kind of players. We just need to bring in more players similar to Berra and Lafferty if possible.

If results in the short term don't improve, then Cathro will be gone. Then we'll move on and bring in someone else.

But there's no danger we're going back to the 70s. Not a chance.

Generic Username

The only way to really pull people back on board is to do something substantial in those opening 6 games away from home. We need to be taking at least 7 points from the games against Kilmarnock, Motherwell and Hamilton.

I think if we lost on Saturday and the opening four, his position might well be untenable regardless of what I think.

For me to 'give him until October', including October itself, means that by then, we'd have to be in a decent position, playing and winning games like a good team. So the points would have to come from somewhere. To answer your question though, yes, I'd still back him if we lost the opening four, but it would mean he'd have to win the next six games or so after that.

I think that with Cathro, we need to play the long game, similar to what Man Utd did with Alex Ferguson in the late-1980s. This season, I'm looking for improvements.

We'll find out soon enough.

You'd back him if he lost the opening 4, but he'd need to win the next 6?

Ok, so what if he loses the first 5 then?

I'm behind the team and the manager. We are trying something quite radically different, this takes time and nights like last night will happen.

radically different? Where exactly is this taking place?

Buffalo Bill

You'd back him if he lost the opening 4, but he'd need to win the next 6?

Ok, so what if he loses the first 5 then?

Erik, I don't know what the magic points formula will be to keep him in a job.

If he's still here by say, mid-October, then I'll make my judgement then, after he's had a decent run of games this season, allowing him to fully bed-in his summer signings.

Rudi5kaceldream1ng

I don't think you can compare the situation now with the 70s. I honestly don't think it will get to that stage. In the 1970s, Hearts were, according to John Fairgrieve, a 'closed shop'. Very little information came out of the club. It was unwelcoming, unambitious, lacking in direction and morale was at a low ebb. We were a complete shambles from top to bottom.

I don't think the Hearts of 2017 is anything like that now. Everything about Hearts is about building for success from the fantastic academy facilities, to the new stand and to having over 13,000 season ticket holders. We are building up a new-look team which suffered a horrendous result last night, but at least we seem to be bringing in the right kind of players. We just need to bring in more players similar to Berra and Lafferty if possible.

If results in the short term don't improve, then Cathro will be gone. Then we'll move on and bring in someone else.

But there's no danger we're going back to the 70s. Not a chance.

It isn't perfect behind the scenes at all. That's a fallacy- if it was we wouldn't be wasting shedloads of money on an incompetent & useless DOF & an even more incompetent head coach. That's incompetent leadership right from the top.

Incredible.

"Nights like last night will happen" ...as we try to improve our standards at the TOP level?

I thought we'd go back to basics this season and establish a work ethic first and foremost.

Establish a workrate , application and intensity to our displays severely missing last year.

If we had that any hiccups in trying to forge a playing style would be compensated for and results like last night probably wouldn't happen.

Buffalo Bill

It isn't perfect behind the scenes at all. That's a fallacy- if it was we wouldn't be wasting shedloads of money on an incompetent & useless DOF & an even more incompetent head coach. That's incompetent leadership right from the top.

Where did I say things are "perfect"?

Erik, I don't know what the magic points formula will be to keep him in a job.

If he's still here by say, mid-October, then I'll make my judgement then, after he's had a decent run of games this season, allowing him to fully bed-in his summer signings.

That's kinda the point I was getting at Bill - its not really possible to say 'i'll give him such and such number of games' or a specific time frame in order to turn things around.

You said if he lost the first 4, he'd need to win the next 6 - in reality its never going to be as straight cut as that.

What if he lost 5 then won 5?

What if he lost 4, won 5 and then drew the 6th?

Theres so many different permutations and circumstances that its just not possible to put timeframes or numbers of matches on it.

He's signed some good players but there are 2 massive gaps in the team. (Keeper & Attacking mid)

Those gaps have been there since he came in.

It looks like he's barely attempted to fill them since arriving.

He needs to win at least 1 of the first 4 aways.

Archived