Iain Cathro ongoing Poll and discussion Thread

cylawny

Cathro Poll  

1,521 members have voted

1. 1. Cathro stay or go

Sergio pumped Hibs in the league 3 times, Rangers at Ibrox, Celtic at Tynie and had us top 6 without the Scottish cup.  To compare hom with Cathro is mental. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Buffalo Bill

It's been a desperate season.

But now is the time that I'll properly begin to judge Ian Cathro. The first thing he must do is completely gut this squad of hapless journeymen.

The second thing required is to recruit well, bring in players who will fight for the jersey. 

The third thing he has to do is start getting results. Nothing less than top four by mid-October will do.

I still back the guy to get it right, but I'll only defend him for so long.

Captain America

Sergio pumped Hibs in the league 3 times, Rangers at Ibrox, Celtic at Tynie and had us top 6 without the Scottish cup.  To compare hom with Cathro is mental. 

This.

Bull's-eye

First game in 1970's - yet you seem to have forgotten 1985?

I was referring to 1986.

I was referring to 1986.

Season started in 1985 - were we run "horrifically bad" in that season as you seem to suggest???

How about 1997/98?  We had a good run at the league then?

Bull's-eye

Season started in 1985 - were we run "horrifically bad" in that season as you seem to suggest???

How about 1997/98? We had a good run at the league then?

A good run is not a sustained go at winning the league and no, I didn't feel we could win it in 98, did in 86 though. Never have again, which was my point.

A good run is not a sustained go at winning the league and no, I didn't feel we could win it in 98, did in 86 though. Never have again, which was my point.

But were we run "horrifically bad" as you suggested in 1985/86 - I have never heard of this before.

Escobar PHM

Budge, Levein and Cathro want to win the league.

I 100% believe that Cathro is not here to challenge for titles but is here to win them.

I want us to win the league and I'm more than prepared to go through the pain barrier to achieve it.

Honestly mate, we've been in relegation form for the last 6 months and we have a head coach with a horrendous set of stats behind him. Statistically the worst manager in our history. Think about that for a minute. Think about horrendous managers we've had who were actually way better than him. Moncur, Ormond, Mclean, Clark, Jordan.........need I go on.

We've seen Celtic be transformed in a very short period from one of the poorest Celtic teams for generations (that was our chance but unfortunately we had our own problems to deal with in that period)) to a position of invincibility which is likely to last a very VERY long time. We're not winning the title under Levein, Cathro or Budge.

What we COULD do is establish a very solid second place with a nice wee European run and a cup win every few years. That target has served us pretty well over the years. We're a MILLION miles away from even that just now and I really fear for us next year if we keep Cathro in situe for too long into the season ( I accept he is going to start the season - I am fearful of the outcome)

Bull's-eye

But were we run "horrifically bad" as you suggested in 1985/86 - I have never heard of this before.

To go from losing the league by a few goals to 5th in one season is pretty horrific, certainly felt like it at the time.

Just the sort of scenario I would hate to happen now if I'm honest, though I probably wouldn't care less if we get relegated a season after winning a title. Next stupid question ?

Bull's-eye

Honestly mate, we've been in relegation form for the last 6 months and we have a head coach with a horrendous set of stats behind him. Statistically the worst manager in our history. Think about that for a minute. Think about horrendous managers we've had who were actually way better than him. Moncur, Ormond, Mclean, Clark, Jordan.........need I go on.

We've seen Celtic be transformed in a very short period from one of the poorest Celtic teams for generations (that was our chance but unfortunately we had our own problems to deal with in that period)) to a position of invincibility which is likely to last a very VERY long time. We're not winning the title under Levein, Cathro or Budge.

What we COULD do is establish a very solid second place with a nice wee European run and a cup win every few years. That target has served us pretty well over the years. We're a MILLION miles away from even that just now and I really fear for us next year if we keep Cathro in situe for too long into the season ( I accept he is going to start the season - I am fearful of the outcome)

Losers mentality that is common place amongst our support sadly, your entitled to your opinion, same as I am.

There was a belief under Burley.

Escobar PHM

Losers mentality that is common place amongst our support sadly, your entitled to your opinion, same as I am.

Losers mentality. I think you'll find its commonplace amongst clubs who are losing frequently. like we are.

You think winning mentality bridges the gulf in class and spending power between ourselves and Celtic ?

To go from losing the league by a few goals to 5th in one season is pretty horrific, certainly felt like it at the time.

Just the sort of scenario I would hate to happen now if I'm honest, though I probably wouldn't care less if we get relegated a season after winning a title. Next stupid question ?

"Next stupid question" - nice!

Your post seemed to suggest that we only really challenged for the league once, and we were so badly run we couldn't sustain that challenge. I assumed you were referring to 2005/06, but you said you were referring to 1985/86 - I cannot recall anybody saying we lost the league on the last day due to the Club being badly run...

Bull's-eye

There was a belief under Burley.

I have belief at the start of every season. This coming one is no different at the moment.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I see this scenario.

After the 1st training session Cathro tells Levein that the players we have haven't got a chance in hell of getting anywhere near a title. Levein agrees.

What is required is a completely new way forward, all parties know full well a January window is not the time to be recruiting but as the squad is thin and getting thinner stop gap loans are required, fortunately we have accrued enough points to keep the pressure off and we are able to try and tick over while planning for the next season.

All parties are in agreement with this strategy,

I 100% believe that Cathro is not here to challenge for titles but is here to win them. In order for that to happen we need a fresh approach, a different strategy. Pretty much everything needs to change because we as a club are serial losers with a let's finish 3rd mentality, I for one am sick off it. I couldn't give a Shit if it takes 10 years under Cathro to get it right, get relegated a few times for all I care. As long as at the end of it there is a league flag.

My 1st game was late 1970s and we have been fighting to get to the top table ever since only once ever getting close but as always we where run so horrifically bad we couldn't sustain it anyway. Vlad poured cash in and still couldn't get near.

Let's think outside the box, the tried and trusted old experienced manager has got us pretty much nowhere. I've seen us win 3 Cups and I doubt the last one will ever be topped, I want us to win the league and I'm more than prepared to go through the pain barrier to achieve it.

FTH

My word.

Let me put it like this - if Cathro gets us relegated (which on current form he's probably capable of) there ain't going to be a league flag "at the end of it".

Bull's-eye

"Next stupid question" - nice!

Your post seemed to suggest that we only really challenged for the league once, and we were so badly run we couldn't sustain that challenge. I assumed you were referring to 2005/06, but you said you were referring to 1985/86 - I cannot recall anybody saying we lost the league on the last day due to the Club being badly run...

Good oh.

And this pathetic losers run we are on under Cathro is meant to foster a winning mentality is it!   

:qqb006:  

Bull's-eye

And this pathetic losers run we are on under Cathro is meant to foster a winning mentality is it!

:qqb006:

A winning mentality will come with winning, next season, onwards and upwards with Cathro at the helm.

ford donald

I see this scenario.

After the 1st training session Cathro tells Levein that the players we have haven't got a chance in hell of getting anywhere near a title. Levein agrees.

What is required is a completely new way forward, all parties know full well a January window is not the time to be recruiting but as the squad is thin and getting thinner stop gap loans are required, fortunately we have accrued enough points to keep the pressure off and we are able to try and tick over while planning for the next season.

I 100% believe that Cathro is not here to challenge for titles but is here to win them. In order for that to happen we need a fresh approach, a different strategy. Pretty much everything needs to change because we as a club are serial losers with a let's finish 3rd mentality, I for one am sick off it. I couldn't give a Shit if it takes 10 years under Cathro to get it right, get relegated a few times for all I care. As long as at the end of it there is a league flag.

My 1st game was late 1970s and we have been fighting to get to the top table ever since only once ever getting close but as always we where run so horrifically bad we couldn't sustain it anyway. Vlad poured cash in and still couldn't get near.

Let's think outside the box, the tried and trusted old experienced manager has got us pretty much nowhere. I've seen us win 3 Cups and I doubt the last one will ever be topped, I want us to win the league and I'm more than prepared to go through the pain barrier to achieve it.

FTH

Lets take a simple uncomplicated route,appoint a decent proven manager (plenty available)

Give him sufficent backing to bring in quality proven players,promote young players when they are ready,give them support and encouragement.

It's not complicated.Cathro will not win us anything,his role is coaching,not managing.

I have belief at the start of every season. This coming one is no different at the moment.

Hallelujah brother!   :rock2:

Lets take a simple uncomplicated route,appoint a decent proven manager (plenty available)

Give him sufficent backing to bring in quality proven players,promote young players when they are ready,give them support and encouragement.

It's not complicated.Cathro will not win us anything,his role is coaching,not managing.

Nah....feck that!

Let's stick with the football visionary that is Craig Levein, and his self appointed mission to change the way our Club is run.  Bring on the next raw apprentice and let him cut his teeth as a Head Coach at Hearts...what could go wrong??

A winning mentality will come with winning, next season, onwards and upwards with Cathro at the helm.

:stupid:

Escobar PHM

Hows that been working out for you lately ? Any title wins ? Anything that resembled a challenge?

Yet you believe it next season ?

I have hope at the start of every season rather than belief. Usually I hope we are up there in the mix for cups and European places and we'll bloody a few noses and play some decent football on the way. Next I season I'll be hoping we're not down there fighting relegation.

In terms of the title where only winning it is really worthwhile, we've been losers since 1961.

Hows that been working out for you lately ? Any title wins ? Anything that resembled a challenge?

I have hope at the start of every season rather than belief. Usually I hope we are up there in the mix for cups and European places and we'll bloody a few noses and play some decent football on the way. Next I season I'll be hoping we're not down there fighting relegation.

In terms of the title where only winning it is really worthwhile, we've been losers since 1961.

Well said

Bull's-eye

Bang on the money, time for a radical change then, glad you agree with me.

Nookie Bear

I was under the impression it is our management structure that is the radical change, not just appointing Cathro.

We can still be radical under a new Head Coach, no?

Escobar PHM

Yes it is time for a change. We're not in agreement though are we ? You want to keep things as they are if I understood correctly. Cathro overseen by Levein overseen by Budge. The dream team. Title winners in waiting.

Bull's-eye

Yes it is time for a change. We're not in agreement though are we ? You want to keep things as they are if I understood correctly. Cathro overseen by Levein overseen by Budge. The dream team. Title winners in waiting.

The change occurred when Robbie legged it.

I have patience, never seen us win a title so giving Cathro a run with a new set of players isn't really a hardship for me.

As he is obviously going to be given time then I'm happy to be on board. It's not like we have anything to lose now is it.

So, go through pain to come out the other end with an all conquering, title winning side?

Some logic that.

I totally understand a growing team can have hiccups and teething problems until it reaches its peak in which it then hopes to be at a trophy/title winning stage , but we are miles from even that.

I don't know what the expected level of "pain" is but going from 3rd to a alarming 5th spot in a season isn't progress or a sign of an emerging team.

I have patience, never seen us win a title so giving Cathro a run with a new set of players isn't really a hardship for me.

As he is obviously going to be given time then I'm happy to be on board. It's not like we have anything to lose now is it.

Technically yes - Premiership status, because his form is so poor - we are not one of the worst in the league, we are THE worst performing team, latley, in the entire division. We are not poor, or on a dip, or a wee pear shaped patch - we are utterly, utterly HONKING! 'Relegation form' is a factual description for us.

We've plenty to lose. Mind you, I do appreciate and respect the viewpoint that folk want to give him time. For me though, it's TOO awful right now to throw nothing but time at. If he is given time, something else needs to change NOW.

I've never seen us win a title either - I have however seen Hearts win 3 SC - and IMO we have no chance of seeing another cup win under Cathro and this current Levein set up!

So, go through pain to come out the other end with an all conquering, title winning side?

Some logic that.

I totally understand a growing team can have hiccups and teething problems until it reaches its peak in which it then hopes to be at a trophy/title winning stage , but we are miles from even that.

I don't know what the expected level of "pain" is but going from 3rd to a alarming 5th spot in a season isn't progress or a sign of an emerging team.

So you wouldn't go through a bit pain for a title winning side? I think that's sound logic. Not that I think we're anywhere near that but I'd gladly take some pain for that scenario.

Technically yes - Premiership status, because his form is so poor - we are not one of the worst in the league, we are THE worst performing team, latley, in the entire division. We are not poor, or on a dip, or a wee pear shaped patch - we are utterly, utterly HONKING! 'Relegation form' is a factual description for us.

We've plenty to lose. Mind you, I do appreciate and respect the viewpoint that folk want to give him time. For me though, it's TOO awful right now to throw nothing but time at. If he is given time, something else needs to change NOW.

Agree totally with your 2nd para. But I think things will change over the summer. If the management were publicly saying that this group of players were good enough and that the current team would come good with time, that would obviously be outrageous and I think just about everyone would agree that he would have to go. If we overhaul the squad significantly, I think that's different. I'm only willing to give him more time if we get that overhaul. 

Bull's-eye

I've never seen us win a title either - I have however seen Hearts win 3 SC - and IMO we have no chance of seeing another cup win under Cathro and this current Levein set up!

If seeing us win another SC gets your juices flowing then that's fair enough, it doesn't inspire me one bit, unless it's Hibs in the final and we don't take our foot off the pedal and make it 10 of course.

Everyone's different.

Serious question for some of the longer serving kickbackers. Prior to Romanov, was this board just as divided, or was it something that started with Vlad Sheep and Hat Kickers?

We have no right to win anything because we are not in a financial position to do so. We can occasionally have cup runs which we have done in the past but not frequently. The level of expectation is unrealistic but the club us trying to grow itself into a position where in a few years time we might perform better on a more regular basis, & maybe have more cup runs & reduce our points gap with the team at the top. I'm under no illusion as to how long this will take. We've had to start from scratch post Vlad. Things will get better, but patience is required.

If seeing us win another SC gets your juices flowing then that's fair enough, it doesn't inspire me one bit, unless it's Hibs in the final and we don't take our foot off the pedal and make it 10 of course.

Everyone's different.

:vrwow:

Sergio pumped Hibs in the league 3 times, Rangers at Ibrox, Celtic at Tynie and had us top 6 without the Scottish cup. To compare hom with Cathro is mental.

The folk defending Cathro are bonkers mate. Like they will literally make stuff up to troll people.

Serious question for some of the longer serving kickbackers. Prior to Romanov, was this board just as divided, or was it something that started with Vlad Sheep and Hat Kickers?

Football is a very emotive subject....it will always cause division.

We have no right to win anything because we are not in a financial position to do so. We can occasionally have cup runs which we have done in the past but not frequently. The level of expectation is unrealistic but the club us trying to grow itself into a position where in a few years time we might perform better on a more regular basis, & maybe have more cup runs & reduce our points gap with the team at the top. I'm under no illusion as to how long this will take. We've had to start from scratch post Vlad. Things will get better, but patience is required.

It could be argued that we DO have right to not be bottom of the form table - because we ARE in a financial position to not be there.

So you wouldn't go through a bit pain for a title winning side? I think that's sound logic. Not that I think we're anywhere near that but I'd gladly take some pain for that scenario.

As a medical analogy - we would all accept a bit of pain if you had full confidence in the surgeon that the operation was going to be a success.

The problem is, many of us think Levein is a Quack, and the outcome of the operation will be a slow death!

socrates82

Oh well. People deserve what they get then.

Then robbie oot brigade for example certainly deserve what they got

As a medical analogy - we would all accept a bit of pain if you had full confidence in the surgeon that the operation was going to be a success.

The problem is, many of us think Levein is a Quack, and the outcome of the operation will be a slow death!

It wasn't what he said though. Simply that it defied logic, which it clearly doesn't. That was my point. Not whether or not it was feasible.

Watt-Zeefuik

What is Cathro doing that is so transformative and out of line with convention (apart from his career progression)?

Bear in mind (no pun intended) that this is my most positive spin on things, and depending on my mood I think this is a lot of wishful thinking. That said...

I've written elsewhere that Neilson had a pretty rigid system when it came to the back six.  Two CHs who could pass out of the back, two defensive mids directly in front of them routing traffic, and two fullbacks that were expected to range forward in certain situations but always get back to cover. The goal in his system was to hold possession, pass it around, and depending on the attacking system in front of them (which Neilson changed up on a weekly basis) cut open the opponents with incisive passes. When this worked, it absolutely gutted teams, and in a way it was designed specifically to be one of the better clubs in British football, where smaller clubs routinely park the bus on bigger clubs and try to hit on counter attacks. But after the first round of games up in the top flight, clubs realized if they pressured the CHs and DMs and broke up the passes, the system fell apart and we had to resort to long diagonal passes to go over it.

Neilson's response to this was to go looking for players who could beat the pressure. In our previous signing policy, this meant looking for some high risk/high reward players with the chance that maybe we'd find a diamond in the rough that could maintain our passing game under pressure.  Specifically, he wanted big, athletic players who didn't seem to be fulfilling their potential.  That's how we ended up with Osh, Rherras, Watt, and other dross as well as good players like Djoum, Souttar, and Kitchen. (Based on everything we've heard, I now think Tziolis and Avlonitas were identified before Cathro arrived for this reason.) We ended up with a squad which even with injuries probably could have finished third this season and maybe snuck a win over Celtic at Tynecastle.

While I enjoyed Neilson's squads plenty, they did seem to have hit a ceiling, and we simply don't have the funds to bring in dependable players that could make us good enough to finish higher than third or fourth every season.

Cathro looked at this and said naw, if we're going to be ambitious, it's not going to be by getting physically superior players and putting them in a rigid system.  It's going to be by getting clever, hard working players and putting them in a flexible system where they can work together.

So he blew up Neilson's ever-present double-pivot and put Tziolis in at the base.  He told the attacking players to scramble and to not hold rigid positions. He told the fullbacks to press forward.

But the players clearly didn't understand everything from the off.  With only a single DM, the CH's got overrun.  The attacking players didn't understand their roles so ran into each other and passed to nobody repeatedly. And our fullbacks were just bad.

When you don't understand what you're supposed to be doing, you get frustrated and stop playing hard. And that's what we saw this season over and over again.

My take in January or February was that Cathro was flushing a window of opportunity to challenge for second down the toilet by changing everything all at once, and that he clearly wasn't getting the players to understand what he wanted them to do.  My attempt to be optimistic now is that he knew there would be growing pains but thought the players could get through them faster.  Certainly Cowie seems to have figured out how to play in the system, and we're starting to see signs that Nicholson is getting the clue too.

In any case, there's at least a chance that with a full summer of training and bonding outside of the spotlights of the season, the players will figure out how to make Cathro's system work.  If that happens, well hell, maybe we come storming out of the gates like we did in Robbie's first season.

Nookie Bear

Bear in mind (no pun intended) that this is my most positive spin on things, and depending on my mood I think this is a lot of wishful thinking. That said...

I've written elsewhere that Neilson had a pretty rigid system when it came to the back six.  Two CHs who could pass out of the back, two defensive mids directly in front of them routing traffic, and two fullbacks that were expected to range forward in certain situations but always get back to cover. The goal in his system was to hold possession, pass it around, and depending on the attacking system in front of them (which Neilson changed up on a weekly basis) cut open the opponents with incisive passes. When this worked, it absolutely gutted teams, and in a way it was designed specifically to be one of the better clubs in British football, where smaller clubs routinely park the bus on bigger clubs and try to hit on counter attacks. But after the first round of games up in the top flight, clubs realized if they pressured the CHs and DMs and broke up the passes, the system fell apart and we had to resort to long diagonal passes to go over it.

Neilson's response to this was to go looking for players who could beat the pressure. In our previous signing policy, this meant looking for some high risk/high reward players with the chance that maybe we'd find a diamond in the rough that could maintain our passing game under pressure.  Specifically, he wanted big, athletic players who didn't seem to be fulfilling their potential.  That's how we ended up with Osh, Rherras, Watt, and other dross as well as good players like Djoum, Souttar, and Kitchen. (Based on everything we've heard, I now think Tziolis and Avlonitas were identified before Cathro arrived for this reason.) We ended up with a squad which even with injuries probably could have finished third this season and maybe snuck a win over Celtic at Tynecastle.

While I enjoyed Neilson's squads plenty, they did seem to have hit a ceiling, and we simply don't have the funds to bring in dependable players that could make us good enough to finish higher than third or fourth every season.

Cathro looked at this and said naw, if we're going to be ambitious, it's not going to be by getting physically superior players and putting them in a rigid system.  It's going to be by getting clever, hard working players and putting them in a flexible system where they can work together.

So he blew up Neilson's ever-present double-pivot and put Tziolis in at the base.  He told the attacking players to scramble and to not hold rigid positions. He told the fullbacks to press forward.

But the players clearly didn't understand everything from the off.  With only a single DM, the CH's got overrun.  The attacking players didn't understand their roles so ran into each other and passed to nobody repeatedly. And our fullbacks were just bad.

When you don't understand what you're supposed to be doing, you get frustrated and stop playing hard. And that's what we saw this season over and over again.

My take in January or February was that Cathro was flushing a window of opportunity to challenge for second down the toilet by changing everything all at once, and that he clearly wasn't getting the players to understand what he wanted them to do.  My attempt to be optimistic now is that he knew there would be growing pains but thought the players could get through them faster.  Certainly Cowie seems to have figured out how to play in the system, and we're starting to see signs that Nicholson is getting the clue too.

In any case, there's at least a chance that with a full summer of training and bonding outside of the spotlights of the season, the players will figure out how to make Cathro's system work.  If that happens, well hell, maybe we come storming out of the gates like we did in Robbie's first season.

I think Cathro needs to consider the budget he will have next season, because the players we bring in will not be of much greater quality than the ones we are letting go. On that basis, he may always be chasing his tail and I cannot see his philosophy ( :veryangry: ) working in the short, medium or long term.

Surely pragmatism needs to play a part as well.

But I do appreciate the time taken to provide a well-thought out response, as opposed to the usual stuff on here at the moment (me included!) - cheers!

Then robbie oot brigade for example certainly deserve what they got

I wasn't a fan of Robbie over the last season or so..... never campaigned for him to go but certainly happy when he did.

As for Cathro I will give him the first round of fixtures so until then he gets my full support.

Results have been unacceptable though that there is no doubt.

Cruyff Turn

I see this scenario.

FTH

:rofl: :rofl:

Belting post if this was about the dream you had.

Anyone who really believes we will win the league and calls those that accept that is out of reach due to the huge financial gap losers is either barking, stirring or both. While I am sure Budge, Levein and Cathro want to win the league (don't we all) I have never heard any of them say it is attainable. The reality is one about passing urine through the appendage you have! 

It was actually during the season and after a 1-1 draw at Celtic Park for me precisely.

Archived