Iain Cathro ongoing Poll and discussion Thread

cylawny

Cathro Poll  

1,521 members have voted

1. 1. Cathro stay or go

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

If you can't beat Peterhead with Buaben and Hamilton you might as well pack it in something I wished Cathro would do.

Yep. The excuses are becoming comical now.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Captain America

and yes I see this about on par with Robbie's first team getting thrashed by Livingston in the wee wee cup.

The team we fielded in the Petrofac cup under Robbie was nowhere near a first team squad.

The team that played last night had 8 of our strongest 11. ( Hughes in place of McGhee, Souttar in place of Nowak & Djoum in place of Prince.)

kingantti1874

Oh FFS. It's simple -- I was out on Cathro some time around February last year and I wasn't shy about saying so on here. I thought he should have been fired before the split.

But that didn't happen, and there were decent reasons for doing so. Once it became clear we weren't going to fire him at the end of the season it became about hoping for the best.

And the facts remain -- we were not remotely playing the best team we'll have available at the beginning of the league season, we were trying an experimental formation, and the game was low stakes because it's a group game. It was appalling, not good enough, and we should have been able to play a youth squad and win. But funny things happen in football. Just like Neilson's Hibs cup loss, judging a football manager (or head coach or whatever) on one or two matches is stupid.

But apparently "if he doesn't win Saturday, fire him" isn't strong enough for some people.

That team should have been capable of besting Peterhead (and Elgin before then 3 or 4).. Part time players who'd just arrived from their day job a couple of whom had to drive themselves several hundred miles to the game.. There is no excuse.. End of story.. If this was an isolated performance or result it'd be looked upon differently but it's not.. Different players, different opposition.. Same level of performance Same outcome..

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

The team we fielded in the Petrofac cup under Robbie was nowhere near a first team squad.

The team that played last night had 8 of our strongest 11. ( Hughes in place of McGhee, Souttar in place of Nowak & Djoum in place of Prince.)

We through out our under 20's out against Livingston. Even UA is spreading lies to make Cathro look good.

kingantti1874

We through out our under 20's out against Livingston. Even UA is spreading lies to make Cathro look good.

Correct - I was at that livi game.. To suggest it can be used as a comparison is absolute nonsense.. I'd. Never heard of most of them

kingantti1874

This should be a public vote.. Absolutely convinced the vast majority of those voting stay will have sub 100 posts e.g hibs interlopers

Lucille's Thirsty

I can't fathom how certain posters on here can see anything but tears happening under this man's management,he strikes me as a timid man,I'm actually cringing what he would be like in the dressing room before an Edinburgh Derby.

Imagine Lennon then Imagine Cathro.

Lennon ain't nothing special but he does strike me as a passionate man about his management.

Bowmans_Boot

This. The comparison is ridiculous. Our team that played last night (including our star signings) could well be full strength, given that Hughes is rarely fit, there is no guarantee that Souttar will be back to 100% soon and Djoum (who everyone slates, anyway) could well be away.

To try to gloss over this defeat as "one of those things" is unbelievable. We lost because the opponents, in this case a lower league, part time side, fought harder, had greater urgency and wanted it more. So far those are the exact qualities that any of Cathros teams distinctly lack.

Bowmans_Boot

This should be a public vote.. Absolutely convinced the vast majority of those voting stay will have sub 100 posts e.g hibs interlopers

I voted for Cathro to stay and havent changed it yet.

kingantti1874

I never said all.. There are people who have their reasons.

But there are plenty of hibees voting for Cathro to stay you can be sure of that.

Watt-Zeefuik

For people seemingly unable to read. Saying "not quite ready to fire Cathro before Saturday" is not the same as defending the performance against Peterhead. It was awful and not good enough.

And part of my argument is that while 8 of our current strongest 11 played I think at least two more won't be starters by the time the window closes, which means the team was incomplete.

We're all pissed off and rightly so but wind your f---ing necks in.

kingantti1874

For people seemingly unable to read. Saying "not quite ready to fire Cathro before Saturday" is not the same as defending the performance against Peterhead. It was awful and not good enough.

And part of my argument is that while 8 of our current strongest 11 played I think at least two more won't be starters by the time the window closes, which means the team was incomplete.

We're all pissed off and rightly so but wind your f---ing necks in.

But you'd agree the team should be complete enough to take down a team of brickies and taxi drivers.. I'm not sure you realise just how low the standard of the Scottish fourth division is. We should have been able to play a team of kids and beat Peterhead never mind 75% of our strongest team many of whom are internationals..

Most people are sick to death of the excuses being made in defence of this absolute joke of a manager.. I don't think you can reasonably expect to post excuses anymore and not get called out for it..

Watt-Zeefuik

But you'd agree the team should be complete enough to take down a team of brickies and taxi drivers.. I'm not sure you realise just how low the standard of the Scottish fourth division is. We should have been able to play a team of kids and beat Peterhead never mind 75% of our strongest team many of whom are internationals..

Most people are sick to death of the excuses being made in defence of this absolute joke of a manager.. I don't think you can reasonably expect to post excuses anymore and not get called out for it..

Yes, agreed on the entire first paragraph.

The difference between us isn't "Cathro oot" vs. "Cathro the Great." It's "Cathro oot" vs. "Cathro on his last chance."

Again, if we didn't fire him at the end of the season (and I fully expected that we would TBH) it makes no sense to fire him right now. Given that, we may as well see how he responds to the defeat this time.

Cathro simply must go, I'm actually annoyed that our season is going to go to shit before that happens though, someone will have to come in and get some respectability back, really grim times.

Lucille's Thirsty

Cathro simply must go, I'm actually annoyed that our season is going to go to shit before that happens though, someone will have to come in and get some respectability back, really grim times.

I can see what's about to happen,you can see what's about to happen,what on earth are the people in charge thinking what's going to happen,people saying give him until October. So we can say I told you so.

kingantti1874

The difference between us isn't "Cathro oot" vs. "Cathro the Great." It's "Cathro oot" vs. "Cathro on his last chance."

Again, if we didn't fire him at the end of the season (and I fully expected that we would TBH) it makes no sense to fire him right now. Given that, we may as well see how he responds to the defeat this time.

I see your point your making .. But we should have sacked him at the end of the season and delaying the decision just prolongs the agony.. 2 wrongs don't make a right..

I can see what's about to happen,you can see what's about to happen,what on earth are the people in charge thinking what's going to happen,people saying give him until October. So we can say I told you so.

First time in my life I'm going into a new season dreading the derbies, I'm usually looking out for when we're playing them absolutely buzzing, could really do without them until we get a competent manager in.

If it does go south, there will be all manner of turnips coming on here to tell the world they told us so.

Some of them adults !

Bowmans_Boot

I think we pretty much agree: fail on Saturday and it HAS to be over as he has used all of his chances up.

What irritates me is people trying to argue that last night wasnt the absolute, appalling disaster that every single Hearts fan knows it was. There are no excuses: we were (again) out fought by a hungrier team who wanted it more. Having guys like Berra, Smith & Lafferty involved in that is worrying as they were meant to be the answer to our previous failings in the "being a winner" area.

Lucille's Thirsty

First time in my life I'm going into a new season dreading the derbies, I'm usually looking out for when we're playing them absolutely buzzing, could really do without them until we get a competent manager in.

Lennon and Hibs will bully us aside IMO.

That sentence is an utter disgrace first time ever I've went into a season knowing Hibs at ER will brush us aside with this boy in charge of us.

I think we pretty much agree: fail on Saturday and it HAS to be over as he has used all of his chances up.

What irritates me is people trying to argue that last night wasnt the absolute, appalling disaster that every single Hearts fan knows it was. There are no excuses: we were (again) out fought by a hungrier team who wanted it more. Having guys like Berra, Smith & Lafferty involved in that is worrying as they were meant to be the answer to our previous failings in the "being a winner" area.

It wouldn't matter who we had in the team as long as Cathro is in charge with his lack of leadership and pedestrian football tactics. 

I genuinely believe that most pub team managers could do a better job right now.

I really want Cathro to succeed but i dont want to sit watching that shit again next season.

There really are no signs of change from last season so far

I was so excited for this season  as well :(

Lets see what Saturday brings

Levein rates him highly,thats the only reason,nobody else does.

Rafa Benitez does.

Watt-Zeefuik

Again, my hope at this point is entirely based on having players like them to pull the other players' ears in and say, "nope, not this time, not like this."

Last season when we had a shocker of a performance I kept wanting to see some fire in our bellies the next game.  Instead we'd go back out and wander aimlessly around the pitch again. If we do that again on Saturday, even if we squeak a win, I'll switch my vote up top.

Is this the first time the poll has actually been in favour of 'go'?

Genuinely cannot believe there are Hearts fans out there who are happy for this to continue :lol:

Cruyff Turn

If we get beat on Saturday then clearly this utter shiteness will continue for the season ahead and it will be time to call it a day.

But, personally I think it was just a bad day and we will trounce Dunfermline and then go on to do well in the League straight from the off by giving a sterling performance against Celtic.

Time will tell but I'll start foaming at the gash about it (cheers jonno :lol:) if and when we are beaten by Dunfermline which just isn'y going to happen.

He should be judged once the transfer window closes and we're not still ****ing about with the deadwood from last season. If he's been backed financially and still makes a rip roaring ***** of it then fine, he has to go.

At the moment, there's still 6 weeks left of the window. He's made three very good signings which have improved things. Another three including a keeper of the same calibre and we'll be going in the right direction. Get rid of the shite we've had since the Championship. Clean the slate.

There was a quarter of the team playing last night who should be nowhere near Hearts starting 11. We're all agreed that it should've been enough to get the job done. What it has done is highlighted the fact we're still miles away in terms of a squad with decent cover. Hopefully the board will back him. I believe it's in their best interests to do so.

He'll still get my support...for now.

Hagar the Horrible

I want Cathro to succeed, but it is just not going to happen, this is a failed experiment, we might just scrape a win against the Pars, but I am not sure we wont be put out.  We will be bottom of the league and playing catch-up for a whole year?  Who wants to write off another season based on an experiment to see if a rookie can make it?  We should be playing for second slot, but we will end up scraping in a relegation fight, which we don't want to be in and end up arguing amongst ourselves, for what? so we can be a nursery for rookie managers that other clubs will benefit from If a success and we suffer from when it fails?  its always going to be a lose/lose situation for us? 

Bowmans_Boot

Again, my hope at this point is entirely based on having players like them to pull the other players' ears in and say, "nope, not this time, not like this."

Last season when we had a shocker of a performance I kept wanting to see some fire in our bellies the next game. Instead we'd go back out and wander aimlessly around the pitch again. If we do that again on Saturday, even if we squeak a win, I'll switch my vote up top.

100% agreed. I really want to see us absolutely hammer Dunfermline and then we can all move on to the league business.

Utterly laughable comparing Livingston and last night.

Utterly laughable.

What do expect Gig? Some people are obsessively protective of Hearts at the wrong moment.

I was like that when I was 12. No one dared say the wrong thing about Hearts or I lost the plot.

I like to think now that i see things for what they are because even as a supporter that means something. We aren't necessarily on the frontline but our voices can still be heard and influence the team or club as a whole.

The minute you shy away from the truth you never move on in football.

portobellojambo1

As have I. I am unwilling to comment on the performance last night, for one simple reason. I wasn't at the game to judge it myself and I'm unwilling to take second hand information from others. I did speak briefly to a colleague at work this morning about the game as he was there, and his opinion was that last night had nothing to do with incorrect tactics, but players who looked as if they expected to win the game just by turning up, and in his opinion didn't give 100%.

I've been at three games so far this season, couldn't make either Elgin or Peterhead due to just being back at work and no holiday slots being available for either game midweek up North. Although only friendlies I liked what I saw against both Linfield and Newcastle. Saturday past we never looked like losing against East Fife, and probably could have had more goals on another day, but we were getting players into the box and creating chances.

Last night, of course it was a bad result, you cannot hide that at all. There was an opportunity for the manager to come out and say something I didn't want to hear, like it was a learning experience, but that isn't what he came out and said. Instead he stated that the players didn't approach the game in the manner they were both set up to, and asked to, and that was unacceptable, which is a 100% correct statement. Who should shoulder the blame for that, the players or the coach, I would go for the former. We need to approach this coming Saturday correctly, win the game and proceed in the competition. When I go to a match and I feel it is the way we have been set up that costs us that game I will say so. When I go to a game and can see it is the player's attitude that is up for question I will say that, I will not blame the coach for that. There was a period towards the end of last season where people wanted Tommy Wright in, a man who doesn't and didn't want to come to us by the way, that is the same man who just overseen St Johnstone getting humped out of Europe by a team whose name I can't even remember. Simply changing the manager doesn't automatically cure all ills. Going back a bit, I've seen so far something which seems to be building as a team, but still think we would benefit from a more experienced goalkeepr, and either a box to box midfielder or wide left player, and I'm unwilling at this stage to say there is no chance of either or both arriving.

Is this the first time the poll has actually been in favour of 'go'?

Genuinely cannot believe there are Hearts fans out there who are happy for this to continue :lol:

I'd think that absolutely every infiltrator on this site who has bothered will have voted Stay.

Had I the time or inclination to do something similar on dotnet, I'd have been doing all I could to keep Butcher in the job.

waynefozzie

He's staying for at least the first round of fixtures. Hearts aren't going to sack him cause of loads of threads started by the same people on Kickback. So do you want to get behind him and the team and hope we do well? Or do you want to perpetuate the cycle of negativity and then be happy to be proven right when he and our team fails?

J.T.F.Robertson

He's staying for at least the first round of fixtures. Hearts aren't going to sack him cause of loads of threads started by the same people on Kickback. So do you want to get behind him and the team and hope we do well? Or do you want to perpetuate the cycle of negativity and then be happy to be proven right when he and our team fails?

I'm finished with the guy.

It's not a reaction to one game, we have been piss poor since he came on the scene and I refuse to believe our personnel are this bad, not world beaters, but way better than they are showing.

He's had all the time I'm willing to give, Levein also, if you want to get to the arsehole of it.

A_A wehatethehibs

There are standards below which you cannot drop as Hearts manager. A bit of poor form is not going to see you sacked, we know it can be up and down with a new young talented coach, we are patient and we have been patient with Ian Cathro.

However it has not been up and down, it has been well over half a season of pure pain other than one fluke win against rangers and it cannot happen this season. If we lose to Dunfermline there is no way back for Cathro, the games are about to get a whole lot harder than Elgin, Peterhead and Dunfermline.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Still?

New stand, lucky to have a team etc. Why does on the pitch matter? :rolleyes:

3rd in a group with Dunfermline, Peterhead, East Fife and Elgin City.

No-one can defend him now, an absolute embarrassment of a manager.

kingantti1874

If thesaurus looking for a new definition of wrong they could do worse than look at this thread.. Suspect more than a few will be avoiding it.

SM Sheffield

Cathro has to go now. I hate to say it but people may start cancelling their FOH subscriptions if the club continue to blindly back him. He has embarrassed Hearts on far too many occasions, the stats, performances and results are way beyond unacceptable. His appointment and performance is now completely indefensible. For the good of the club he needs to go now.

Gordon Ramsay

No idea how this poll is not 100% leave. I cannot remember us being more shit in my lifetime.

I'm 28 years old and I can honestly say we are the worst I have ever seen us.

alanthejambo

Whatever football he's dreaming in his head it's not happening on the park. Needs to go now

Skacel'sLeftFoot

I wish it had been so different. I wish Cathro was the new Mourinho. But facts are facts. The results and style of play has been slow, predictable and ineffective. Sorry, but he and CL need to go. Plenty other candidates out there who would do the job.

Archived