Iain Cathro ongoing Poll and discussion Thread

cylawny

Cathro Poll  

1,521 members have voted

1. 1. Cathro stay or go

He's had two transfer windows, 1 full pre-season and 7 months in charge.

He's not learned a thing.

Punt the clown.

Spot on. He's also had a team sitting 2nd in the league that he managed to dismantle immediately. His 'footballing philosophy' is the complete opposite of successful entertaining football.

I dont know how anyone can possibly back the guy to turn this round as he has never shown anything.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone who reckons he can still turn it around needs their head looking at.

It's an utter farce that he's even been given a chance to roger another season.

Ann Budge, it's up to you. If you're happy to watch complete shite every week and see us face relegation, keep Cathro on. Otherwise, make the decision you're there to make.

hearts_crazy

He should do the decent thing and **** off. Can't even manage to inspire the team to get out of 1st gear against utter dross.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Really don't think collectively piling pressure on him going into the coming season is going to help.

I'd say its sink or swim for him in the first few games. 

Celtic

Killie

the rangers

Motherwell

Anything less than 6 points from those games will be difficult for him to get the fans back onside.

can see 5 points......

His first 4-5 league games will nail the coffin well and truely shut. It will also be glued and screwed just to make sure. No manager/coach will survive these games if the results are as devasting as I fear.

rudi must stay

stick with him I say, hes made some good signings and clearly cares. He'll be hurting tonight and fortunately he has a few weeks of the transfer market left to change things again

Really don't think collectively piling pressure on him going into the coming season is going to help.

I'd say its sink or swim for him in the first few games. 

Celtic

Killie

the rangers

Motherwell

Anything less than 6 points from those games will be difficult for him to get the fans back onside.

Well I will go for nil points from those games and a hammering to start with at darkheid

Ferryjambo99

Still very sceptical about Cathro but it's fair enough to give him more than 3 games of the competitive season before writing him off and saying nothing has changed. The mood of this board changes so quickly on a result by result basis it's almost comical. We were 'thrashing hibs and winning cups' a day ago, now it's all the hyperbolic negativity. How about we see if he does the job against dunfermline, which I think we probably will, then wait until a few league games have passed to actually have a true reflection of whether or not he is good enough for hearts

Watt-Zeefuik

Still very sceptical about Cathro but it's fair enough to give him more than 3 games of the competitive season before writing him off and saying nothing has changed. The mood of this board changes so quickly on a result by result basis it's almost comical. We were 'thrashing hibs and winning cups' a day ago, now it's all the hyperbolic negativity. How about we see if he does the job against dunfermline, which I think we probably will, then wait until a few league games have passed to actually have a true reflection of whether or not he is good enough for hearts

Up until tonight it was easy to think things had changed since last season.

Said this elsewhere but we absolutely need to come out rampant against Dunfermline.

stick with him I say, hes made some good signings and clearly cares. He'll be hurting tonight and fortunately he has a few weeks of the transfer market left to change things again

I have seen nothing in his time in charge that shows that he cares or that he will be hurting tonight.

He goes on about having confidence in his ability and nothing will shake it.

If he hurt after defeats, he would not allow results like tonight to happen as he would have the team fired up and sent out to play attacking football rather than his arrogant "I know best" possession football.

He has had 7 months to change things and things are getting worse. It doesnt matter who gets brought in, he cant get the best out of any players.

i'd expect you to back Cathro i just don't understand how you can think he has a clue how to manage a team.

That's it for me I think. Gave him the chance to sign better players; which he's done and then that.

It's not the wrong players, it's the wrong manager and dof.

We've actually weakened our central midfield from last year. It's mind boggling that key area of the field hasn't been addressed.

Pretty accurate

rudi must stay

i'd expect you to back Cathro i just don't understand how you can think he has a clue how to manage a team.

That's up to him. He's there to manage the team, still a young man but his signings (Berra, Lafferty, Goncalves) suggest he has plans that they all want to be a part of. If it wasn't for the signings I'd want him out

I have seen nothing in his time in charge that shows that he cares or that he will be hurting tonight.

He goes on about having confidence in his ability and nothing will shake it.

If he hurt after defeats, he would not allow results like tonight to happen as he would have the team fired up and sent out to play attacking football rather than his arrogant "I know best" possession football.

He has had 7 months to change things and things are getting worse. It doesnt matter who gets brought in, he cant get the best out of any players.

One big arrogant tosser upstairs is bad enough, also having one wee arrogant tosser on the touchline is a recipe for disaster!!!

Performance was worse than the result. Punt him now. He is lost and has no idea what he is doing.

Bring Rix back in, he can teach IC the best way to show how it's done - I'm not really being serious with this idea because from a distance, Cathro seems to have the tactical and motivational skills of a Spangle :(

Mars plastic

Still stay for me. As unpopular as that may be on here. Needs more time and I'm interested to see what the change in recruitment policy may bring

Needs more time? Stevie Wonder can see things are going to be exactly like they've been since the end of last year.

There's a very good chance we're going to have 1 point come tea time on the 9th September.

kingantti1874

That's up to him. He's there to manage the team, still a young man but his signings (Berra, Lafferty, Goncalves) suggest he has plans that they all want to be a part of. If it wasn't for the signings I'd want him out

Rubbish man.. They all want to play for and be paid by the club.. None of them will give a shit about cathro..

How many players doesn't he need to fail to get the best out of before you see it..

Took an over achieving team and for nothing from them.. Needlessly Replaced most of the team in Jan with "better quality"

Managed the January team to the worst run if results in the history of the club claiming the players aren't good enough.. (I said at the time absolute nonsense to suggest that team are the worst in league)

Signs another new team.. Struggles to beat part time Elgin.. Loses to Peterhead.. Excuses start flowing..

It's not the player.. Ian Cathro doesn't Have clue how to manage a football team.. As I said on another thread he may be able to teach kids how to control a football but a manager he is not.. Every day he is here hurts the club. I also not believe Cathro is one of the main reasons Jamie didn't sign his contract.

sandylejambo

I could have got 11 guys from my street that would have given a better account of themselves than Cathros Strollers did last night. Motivation is not this guys strong point, in fact he motivates players to try their walking skills when wearing the shirt. I don't know what team you support but it seems your quite happy for the guy who's record is second to none in failure at Hearts to carry on where he left off last season. Whatever he's doing in training is not working and he continues to do it, he just can't change. Time for us to change him for someone who is half decent at least

Five to One

Looking at the poll today, it seems we've reached the tipping point with Cathro. Ive backed him to the hilt and gave him the benefit of the doubt last season, but last nights utter shambles has worn away any lingering hope I had of him turning it around. We really need to make a decision now rather than waiting 3-4 games. It's not going to happen folks. We need a leader and someone who can motivate players. 

Looking at the poll today, it seems we've reached the tipping point with Cathro. Ive backed him to the hilt and gave him the benefit of the doubt last season, but last nights utter shambles has worn away any lingering hope I had of him turning it around. We really need to make a decision now rather than waiting 3-4 games. It's not going to happen folks. We need a leader and someone who can motivate players.

Exactly this. I've given him enough time and that time is up. Leader required.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Mars plastic

I changed mine to no this morning. We can't persist with him any longer as it's painfully apparent things are going to pan out exactly like they did last season.

Can't believe there are folk saying "it's nothing to worry about, always one team gets an upset" and that sort of thing. Cathro didn't start from zero in my opinion. Last season didn't just go away. He needed to seriously impress and we've spluttered like hell. We're guilty of softening every blow ourselves. He's gash and I really think we are seeing the best of him right now. Worrying stuff.

Buffalo Bill

Yikes, here goes...

I'm still backing Cathro as per my 'give him until October' mantra which is what I've stated all along. I've also said that the team needs a complete, not a partial overhaul. Last night's team still has players in there that should no longer be getting a game for Hearts, imo.  We started off the summer signing six players, but we've not signed anyone else for weeks now. We still need a new goalkeeper and two midfielders.

In saying that, last night's result was an absolute shocker and does Cathro no favours at all. I should imagine this result ranks as one of the most embarrassing in our history. I can only think of Montrose in the League Cup in 1986 as a comparison. The only potential saving grace is that it wasn't a straight knockout tie. We still have Saturday to salvage the situation.

The knives are out though, I get that.

I'm behind the team and the manager. We are trying something quite radically different, this takes time and nights like last night will happen.

I'm behind the team and the manager. We are trying something quite radically different, this takes time and nights like last night will happen.

That's where I want to be.  But no signs of any improvements and he's had 7 months now, and 2 transfer windows.  Needs big improvements, and most importantly results - very soon.  Can't see how he lasts much longer otherwise.

Yikes, here goes...

I'm still backing Cathro as per my 'give him until October' mantra which is what I've stated all along. I've also said that the team needs a complete, not a partial overhaul. Last night's team still has players in there that should no longer be getting a game for Hearts, imo. We started off the summer signing six players, but we've not signed anyone else for weeks now. We still need a new goalkeeper and two midfielders.

In saying that, last night's result was an absolute shocker and does Cathro no favours at all. I should imagine this result ranks as one of the most embarrassing in our history. I can only think of Montrose in the League Cup in 1986 as a comparison. The only potential saving grace is that it wasn't a straight knockout tie. We still have Saturday to salvage the situation.

The knives are out though, I get that.

A totally reasonable post. Hypothetically if we were to lose the upcoming 4 away league games would you still give him till October or would that leave his position untenable ?

How long do you think before it all clicks?

What have you seen since Cathro took over to suggest he's the man for the job?

As for "nights like last night will happen", nope I'm not buying that. No matter what, we shouldn't ever get beaten by a league 2 side.

Lmao. Delusional.

kingantti1874

What exactly are we doing that's radically different..? Being young and clueless isn't radically different..

Buffalo Bill

A totally reasonable post. Hypothetically if we were to lose the upcoming 4 away league games would you still give him till October or would that leave his position untenable ?

I think if we lost on Saturday and the opening four, his position might well be untenable regardless of what I think.

For me to 'give him until October', including October itself, means that by then, we'd have to be in a decent position, playing and winning games like a good team. So the points would have to come from somewhere. To answer your question though, yes, I'd still back him if we lost the opening four, but it would mean he'd have to win the next six games or so after that.

I think that with Cathro, we need to play the long game, similar to what Man Utd did with Alex Ferguson in the late-1980s. This season, I'm looking for improvements.

We'll find out soon enough.

Tynie-Tempah

Can't believe there are folk saying "it's nothing to worry about, always one team gets an upset" and that sort of thing. Cathro didn't start from zero in my opinion. Last season didn't just go away. He needed to seriously impress and we've spluttered like hell. We're guilty of softening every blow ourselves. He's gash and I really think we are seeing the best of him right now. Worrying stuff.

Spot on.  Anyone who just thinks you can forget last season worrys me more than Cathro being in charge of my team.  There comes a time when you need to be realistic and see its not the players, its him.  With all due respect to him he did not come in being a manager, he is trying something new himself too and until this point it has failed dramatically.  I am not doubting he is a great "coach" and I hear his training and drills are very good and if thats his place in the football world then so be it he can perhaps go and be a top top coach.

Sometimes things just dont work out, took big balls to take on what he has but so far i think its just been a step too far for him at this point in time....or perhaps in general and should stick to his trade - coaching/assisting.

Buffalo Bill

Anyone who just thinks you can forget last season worrys me more than Cathro being in charge of my team.  .

I haven't forgotten last season. I don't know anyone who has.

David McCaig

Let's not lose sight of the fact that Cathro kicks the season off on the back of 4 successive League defeats... By the time we play Aberdeen it's highly likely we'll have lost 8 Premier League matches in a row.

The form table shows us bottom of the table since he arrived. After next week's match at Parkhead we'll be bottom of the table for real. In 8 months as Manager IC has provided no evidence to suggest he can do better.

The Internet

c4jt321_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

All roads lead to Gorgie

I can see the point in a long game plan regarding the coach but the point with Cathro is we are dropping so far behind the climb back will be so much harder. With a better coach and let's be honest one of those shouldn't be hard to find we would be in a much better position to build for the future. He has none of the qualities to lead us to where we want to be and that is challenging for trophies every season.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Craig Levein is looking a bit rough I see  :tiny: 

Cathro doesn't know what he's doing,I get the impression that's he's winging it.

I've thought that since his first interview. Some people really have to wake up.

Tynie-Tempah

I haven't forgotten last season. I don't know anyone who has.

me neither but a lot of "fresh start" type shouts etc.  Doesnt work like that in my head.  Don't know any job out there you can perform shockingly in and just have it all be forgot about and treat the next loss or bad run as "the first time"

Have we had any "This is maybe the kick up the arse we needed" comments yet.  Oh please say it is so.

Archived