Iain Cathro ongoing Poll and discussion Thread

cylawny

Cathro Poll  

1,521 members have voted

1. 1. Cathro stay or go

Oh well. People deserve what they get then.

I find it astounding how many are behind him?

There's different ways to make the case for it.

Some fellow posters put across a fair enough view but some are like spoilt , stubborn wee kids who can't accept the current performance of the manager has been terrible but because "he's young and forward thinking"....he must be a good manager.

At this moment I'm not sure I want to start next season with him in charge but part of me accepts he's going to get time and new players to bed in.

If he goes on to prove a hell of alot of people wrong, good, I only want Hearts to be winning.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maroon Sailor

Cathro's Big Game record (Celtic, Aberdeen, Hibs, Rangers):

1 win. 1 draw. 9 defeats.

That draw was pointless

Not one person has grinned through this. Just willing to give the summer. The continuous oh do you enjoy getting beat & you must be living in fantasy land or your clueless chat is pathetic.

The ones willing to give tine are actually giving reasoned arguments on why that's their view, rather than childish slurs.

If there is no improvement by the end of September he will go. Moaning like a lil child all through the summer is t going to help is it? Why not wait and see who comes in?

Quite clearly a cultural reference which has sailed over your head.

Loads of fans want him removed.

EVERYBODY wants him to be a success. If he turns it around this summer by building the vision he's had from the start then we will all be happy. Even better if he smashes Hibs while he's at it.

The season is done now. Whatever the hell that was between January and now (and way before if we're counting away form) is finished.

Nothing about that was enjoyable from a fans perspective. If it wasn't for some small positives like the goals Isma has been scoring then there wouldn't be anything to smile about on the pitch.

It's done though.

If anything this is the real beginning for Cathro. Jumping in mid season and making the changes he did in January was something he never recovered from.

The team didn't work. Whether it was a lack of cohesion, fitness, tactics or just a simple "don't want to be here" it didn't work.

If he's here for the summer then we have to help him.

Instead of preparing a noose to hang him let's give him the chance to build his vision and sign the team he actually wants not just the trialists we have had since January.

If there's any truth in Berra signing it's a sign he recognises what needs to be done. The type of player we are missing.

If him and Austin are anywhere near the coaches that others in the game claim they are this summer should see us building a team that plays with intelligence and is fitter than most in the league.

Quite clearly a cultural reference which has sailed over your head.

Cool

siegementality

EVERYBODY wants him to be a success. If he turns it around this summer by building the vision he's had from the start then we will all be happy. Even better if he smashes Hibs while he's at it.

The season is done now. Whatever the hell that was between January and now (and way before if we're counting away form) is finished.

Nothing about that was enjoyable from a fans perspective. If it wasn't for some small positives like the goals Isma has been scoring then there wouldn't be anything to smile about on the pitch.

It's done though.

If anything this is the real beginning for Cathro. Jumping in mid season and making the changes he did in January was something he never recovered from.

The team didn't work. Whether it was a lack of cohesion, fitness, tactics or just a simple "don't want to be here" it didn't work.

Instead of preparing a noose to hang him let's give him the chance to build his vision and sign the team he actually wants not just the trialists we have had since January.

If there's any truth in Berra signing it's a sign he recognises what needs to be done. The type of player we are missing.

If him and Austin are anywhere near the coaches that others in the game claim they are this summer should see us building a team that plays with intelligence and is fitter than most in the league.

Very fair and reasonable.

Looking at the poll on this thread, the majority want Cathro to remain.

'Huge percentage', couldn't make it up.... oh, wait, you just did!

The poll is a joke. People voted many months ago when some still believed in the guy. I wanted a new poll to start a few weeks ago (wish i could start one) and believe me most would want him gone right now. Some would want to give him about 6 weeks or so into the new season and there's always one who would never want to sack him even if he got us relegated.

kingantti1874

Looking at the poll on this thread, the majority want Cathro to remain.

'Huge percentage', couldn't make it up.... oh, wait, you just did!

You've not been here long.. I would say hobos in the hundreds voting for him to stay

kingantti1874

I hope we ALL get what we deserve for showing some patience and backing the long term vision of the club.

What long term vision..ian Cathro?

Some fellow posters put across a fair enough view but some are like spoilt , stubborn wee kids who can't accept the current performance of the manager has been terrible but because "he's young and forward thinking"....he must be a good manager.

At this moment I'm not sure I want to start next season with him in charge but part of me accepts he's going to get time and new players to bed in.

If he goes on to prove a hell of alot of people wrong, good, I only want Hearts to be winning.

There isn't many people behind him wanting to stay. The poll has been corrupted. I've never met anyone in my family, friends, work or club who wants Cathro & for that matter Levein to stay.

Cruyff Turn

Yep.

People who want him to stay because they 'believe' despite the cold hard facts staring them in the face.

Those facts are the results, the performances and the league position. Had the league started when Cathro took over we'd have probably been relegated. He is statistically the worst Hearts manager ever.

Any believers going to put some magical spin on that?

But let's just look past those FACTS and believe. Believe because of the spiel which has come out his mouth about how we will 'go to the next level' and how we will become a Europa League side.

I don't know if folk are just gullible or delusional.

There isn't many people behind him wanting to stay. The poll has been corrupted. I've never met anyone in my family, friends, work or club who wants Cathro & for that matter Levein to stay.

Small circle then.

bauld willie

It's done though.

Hell will freeze over before I give up on this club by accepting mediocrity, supporter apathy, egotistical DOF's or utter incompetents as managers.

Too many so called supporters are just shrugging of the rumoured season ticket collapse as just one of these things or trying to justify it by that other classic, who needs them they are not loyal supporters, crap. We are all supporters of the same club here and if you don't want to see our team play in front of empty stands next season, you will stop allowing this club to stick two fingers up at us, by keeping the utter failure Cathro.

peebles jambo

If his first few signings aren't better than what we've got just, then, i'll worry, glad the season has finished, pleased  we didn't get humped today, but we must start better than the dross we've just had to suffer, HOPEFUL

Yep.

People who want him to stay because they 'believe' despite the cold hard facts staring them in the face.

Those facts are the results, the performances and the league position. Had the league started when Cathro took over we'd have probably been relegated. He is statistically the worst Hearts manager ever.

But let's just look past those FACTS and believe. Believe because of the spiel which has come out his mouth about how we will 'go to the next level' and how we will become a Europa League side.

I want to believe, but there isn't anything I can point to since Ian Cathro's first game in charge until his last today that gives me any reason to do so. We're at the stage where we're breathing a sigh of relief when defeats aren't as bad as they could have been. That feels pretty desperate.

Since Robbie Neilson's last game in charge our total of 20 points is only matched by Inverness who managed the same. Everyone else accrued more. That equates to 33 points over a full season .We'd have been relegated this year with that. I really wanted Ian Cathro to succeed big-time, but I now honestly think the club are delaying the inevitable.

Yep.

Its the wonderful world of football.

Better managers with better records got hounded but the record was there in front of them.

But you aren't a connoisseur of modern day football if you don't back a much lauded coach even though the record, performances and poor demeanour of the team are staring at you...you are probably deemed a dinosaur otherwise.

You know, the season is over and I'm already thinking of the next. I really really want it to work out because as I said, I only want success for Hearts. But is very difficult just now to ignore what's just gone and give 100% enthusiasm and backing to the manager.

There's no two ways about it, we have to start really well next season.

I want to believe, but there isn't anything I can point to since Ian Cathro's first game in charge until his last today that gives me any reason to do so. We're at the stage where we're breathing a sigh of relief when defeats aren't as bad as they could have been. That feels pretty desperate.

Since Robbie Neilson's last game in charge our total of 20 points is only matched by Inverness who managed the same. Everyone else accrued more. That equates to 33 points over a full season .We'd have been relegated this year with that. I really wanted Ian Cathro to succeed big-time, but I now honestly think the club are delaying the inevitable.

The reality of the situation is that he is likely to be given a large chunk of the clubs money to bring 5/6 players in. We will sack him before xmas and his replacement will be left with his players. The season will turn into trying to chsnge our dire start around and avoid a relegation battle. Another write off next seson

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

What's the point in him staying? The club hasn't given any indication of anything changing. Cathro either isn't performing or he's being 'puppet-ed' by someone who isn't. Nothing suggests any of it will change. I want him to succeed but I can't buy into this 'oh well seasons done lets give him the start of next' stuff. I respect that view but his current ability UNDER THE CURRENT CIRCUMSTANCES is not even close to what's needed. Unless SOMETHING changes it's pointless.

I'd love to eat my hat come Xmas! Really I would.

You've not been here long.. I would say hobos in the hundreds voting for him to stay

10 years + on kickback - so you're first sentence is incorrect.  You don't know for a fact that hobo's have been voting, but as mentioned by another poster on this thread, it fits your truth, so you choose to believe that.

What long term vision..ian Cathro?

As the coach / manager of Hearts, yes he's part of the long term vision.  Fan ownership, bringing through good young players, being financially solvent, paying off the new stand, having a competitive product on the pitch.  

I've watched Hearts since the early 80's.  This season has been poor, imo a number of the causes pre date Cathro's tenure.  I want to give him the summer to try and turn things around.  It's really not that inconceivable that reasonable fans see the difficulties this season for what they are worth and are prepared to give the guy a decent window and a new season to sort out.

I accept he will probably be here next season but this get behind him guff. If you voted SNP or Labour would you get behind Theresa May? You want the country to do well and no major harm done but you don't support the PM.  I doubt ant club would give Cathro a job as No 1 just now on the basis of the fans that think he will turn things around. I believe that there may be a minor improvement next year but can't see us challenging for top  four and think the Hibs may well leapfrog us. We all have to wait and see.

10 years + on kickback - so you're first sentence is incorrect. You don't know for a fact that hobo's have been voting, but as mentioned by another poster on this thread, it fits your truth, so you choose to believe that.

As the coach / manager of Hearts, yes he's part of the long term vision. Fan ownership, bringing through good young players, being financially solvent, paying off the new stand, having a competitive product on the pitch.

I've watched Hearts since the early 80's. This season has been poor, imo a number of the causes pre date Cathro's tenure. I want to give him the summer to try and turn things around. It's really not that inconceivable that reasonable fans see the difficulties this season for what they are worth and are prepared to give the guy a decent window and a new season to sort out.[/quote

Kinda tired of this reasonable fans giving him a chance nonsense. Any decision based on reason or evidence points to an instant dismissal, blind faith is the only thing supporting keeping him.

kingantti1874

10 years + on kickback - so you're first sentence is incorrect. You don't know for a fact that hobo's have been voting, but as mentioned by another poster on this thread, it fits your truth, so you choose to believe that.

As the coach / manager of Hearts, yes he's part of the long term vision. Fan ownership, bringing through good young players, being financially solvent, paying off the new stand, having a competitive product on the pitch.

I've watched Hearts since the early 80's. This season has been poor, imo a number of the causes pre date Cathro's tenure. I want to give him the summer to try and turn things around. It's really not that inconceivable that reasonable fans see the difficulties this season for what they are worth and are prepared to give the guy a decent window and a new season to sort out.

There are hibs fans voting FACT... absolutely crazy to suggest otherwise.. they are on here in their hundreds and not one would vote leave.

Cruyff Turn

We all want him to succeed but the evidence suggests another unmitigated disaster next season.

Nelly Terraces

Small circle then.

Think if you went out & asked you'd be pretty surprised that nearly everyone wants this guy potted asap. I think there's a huge difference in opinion to those who choose to post on here to those who never do. I think I must know about 40 people, each of whom want Cathro gone, and 2 who think he needs more time but have massive doubts regarding his tenure.

Cruyff Turn

Its the wonderful world of football.

Better managers with better records got hounded but the record was there in front of them.

But you aren't a connoisseur of modern day football if you don't back a much lauded coach even though the record, performances and poor demeanour of the team are staring at you...you are probably deemed a dinosaur otherwise.

You know, the season is over and I'm already thinking of the next. I really really want it to work out because as I said, I only want success for Hearts. But is very difficult just now to ignore what's just gone and give 100% enthusiasm and backing to the manager.

There's no two ways about it, we have to start really well next season.

Basically he has to turn a Ford fiesta into a Ferrari next season by taking a side which would have been relegated under his stewardship to challenging for 2nd, 3rd and finishing a minimum 4th in a much more competitive league next year.

Somehow a sprinkling of 4 or 5 new players will achieve this.

You know, I know and any person who has spent decades fanatically following football knows that this is a borderline impossible scenario. The reason we've won 6 games since December is because the manager is not up to the task. That isn't going to change in 2-3 months.

bauld willie

Think if you went out & asked you'd be pretty surprised that nearly everyone wants this guy potted asap. I think there's a huge difference in opinion to those who choose to post on here to those who never do. I think I must know about 40 people, each of whom want Cathro gone, and 2 who think he needs more time but have massive doubts regarding his tenure.

JKB is not always reflective of the wider Hearts support as has been seen several times recently in social media polls on our management. The common sense, punt Cathro option, is far greater outside.

There are a lot of supporters on here, who for geographical reasons can't get to the games and rightfully use this site as great source of info. Going to games regularly however, especially away games, greatly reduces your tolerance of incompetence in the park.

kingantti1874

Basically he has to turn a Ford fiesta into a Ferrari next season by taking a side which would have been relegated under his stewardship to challenging for 2nd, 3rd and finishing a minimum 4th in a much more competitive league next year.

Somehow a sprinkling of 4 or 5 new players will achieve this.

You know, I know and any person who has spent decades fanatically following football knows that this is a borderline impossible scenario. The reason we've won 6 games since December is because the manager is not up to the task. That isn't going to change in 2-3 months.

It is impossible - he has not bought himself any leeway.. first loss, pressure will be incredible.. lose to hibs again and it's all over ..

JamboBornNBred

We all want him to succeed but the evidence suggests another unmitigated disaster next season.

Really??

And yet he has not even started getting the team in place for next season.Lets see who he brings in  first before you write of next season.

Unlike some mugs on here, I do my socialising in the real world. I'd say it was pretty evenly split between folk wanting him gone now and folk willing to give him a preseason, the deadwood emptied and some new signings brought in. I haven't heard any say they won't renew until he's gone and 100% of them would love to see him turn it round. Pretty much a similar percentage to views on here.

Out of them all there's only myself and one other who rarely post on here.

Wherever the **** it is you do your socialising, thankfully it's not somewhere I find myself frequenting. Sounds like a right ****ing hoot.

kingantti1874

Really??

And yet he has not even started getting the team in place for next season.Lets see who he brings in first before you write of next season.

We have at worst the 4th best squad this season, and we are few last in form.. Im writing it off as well as are plenty of others as well as boy wonder is in charge

bauld willie

Really??

And yet he has not even started getting the team in place for next season.Lets see who he brings in first before you write of next season.

Here we go again...

He couldn't motivate the internationals he signed previously. How about demanding some accountability and fixing the problem.

Cruyff Turn

It is impossible - he has not bought himself any leeway.. first loss, pressure will be incredible.. lose to hibs again and it's all over ..

Thing is we'll probably face Hibs, Celtic, Rangers or Aberdeen within the first 5 games, which will be away from home. There will be no easy games, all the other teams will improve and we need a whole new team. After 10 games we could be someway behind our targeted position if we haven't won at least 6 and somewhere within the 10-20 game mark we will be needing a miracle run of form to get back into the mix.

People can't seem to see this unfolding. There is no point in keeping him on because it will only get worse, the evidence so far backs that up.

sandylejambo

Ian Cathro week in and week out saying that we must not do this and we must do that and not one thing changes the next week, he cant motivate players, he has proven this, why people are saying he might come good, I don't know, he never learns and the people who hired him must take their share of the blame for this horrible season and it has been horrible, We have had a lot of bad players in my time watching Hearts, but I don't think we have ever had as many players who don't try, even the ones left over from Robbie Neilson's reign have dropped a gear and cant be arsed. so in summery. please fire both Cathro and Levien.

Cruyff Turn

Really??

Yes. 6 wins since December seems to point to that. Unless you form your opinion on hope, belief or some other invisible machinations.

JamboBornNBred

Here we go again...

He couldn't motivate the internationals he signed previously. How about demanding some accountability and fixing the problem.

Why do you have an issue with anyone who dont agree with you inane drivel.

You have your views,i have mine and others have theirs.........................Live with it .

Your hatred for Ian Cathro is going too make you ill.This is about Heart of Midlothian not you ya trumpet.

JamboBornNBred

Yes. 6 wins since December seems to point to that. Unless you form your opinion on hope, belief or some other invisible machinations.

Not at all.I do think he deserves a chance,if he doesnt turn it around then he goes...Simples

These are pretty much my thoughts too. It seems to me people are losing sight of just how dreadful the results (and performances) have been since Cathro came in. If we were being relegated nobody would be advocating keeping Cathro - but the form under Cathro has been exactly that: relegation form i.e. it's only due to the points gained under Robbie that we were not facing a relegation dog-fight.

Of course I'll be delighted if Cathro proves me and others wrong, but it just feels like we're going into next season with a horrible sense of inevitability about what's going to happen.

Ok - I fall into the category of the 2 you mention, and I agree that my belief that he needs time is tempered by massive doubts.  There are, however, some mitigating factors, all of which have been rehearsed on here many times (the loss of players to injury, players moving club, players being more focussed on AFC, etc).  FWIW, I don't equate mitigating factors to excuses.  You make the best of what you have and get on with it - I'm not convinced Cathro has done that.

Two other things - the first 60 minutes away to Dundee earlier this season was fantastic, easily the best away performance I've seen from Hearts in a long time.  We should have been out of sight by the time that Cowie got stretchered off and young Smith made a couple of mistakes.  I don't think for a moment that Cathro shouted to the players to stop playing good football and let Dundee have 3 goals.  It's a bit of a straw to clutch onto, but it's one of the performances that sticks in my mind.  The other one was the win against Rangers.  Again, it's clutching at straws, but there are signs that he can get players doing things, and when they come off it works. 

I'm more than willing to read and consider arguments for and against, but some of the posts have taken it to playground name-calling levels.  I don't know what that tells us.

Ok - I fall into the category of the 2 you mention, and I agree that my belief that he needs time is tempered by massive doubts.  There are, however, some mitigating factors, all of which have been rehearsed on here many times (the loss of players to injury, players moving club, players being more focussed on AFC, etc).  FWIW, I don't equate mitigating factors to excuses.  You make the best of what you have and get on with it - I'm not convinced Cathro has done that.

Two other things - the first 60 minutes away to Dundee earlier this season was fantastic, easily the best away performance I've seen from Hearts in a long time.  We should have been out of sight by the time that Cowie got stretchered off and young Smith made a couple of mistakes.  I don't think for a moment that Cathro shouted to the players to stop playing good football and let Dundee have 3 goals.  It's a bit of a straw to clutch onto, but it's one of the performances that sticks in my mind.  The other one was the win against Rangers.  Again, it's clutching at straws, but there are signs that he can get players doing things, and when they come off it works. 

I'm more than willing to read and consider arguments for and against, but some of the posts have taken it to playground name-calling levels.  I don't know what that tells us.

Dundee dressing room were mad at hoe they sat back and let us play 1st half

Dundee dressing room were mad at hoe they sat back and let us play 1st half

My recollection of it was that Dundee were chasing shadows.

kingantti1874

Until they figured out a little bit of pressure and we'd break..

Central Belt 1874

We have at worst the 4th best squad this season, and we are few last in form.. Im writing it off as well as are plenty of others as well as boy wonder is in charge

So whats the point in your moaning then? If we all change our votes to Cathro out is that going to make Budge sit up and take notice and fire Cathro on the spot? Naw, its going to make **** all difference because they have made it clear hes going nowhere.

Are any fans happy just now? No, none are but none of us are in a position to change anything.

This is like the Romanov era all over again. Withold your support or suck it up and move on ffs.

Not what they discussed at half time.

kingantti1874

So whats the point in your moaning then? If we all change our votes to Cathro out is that going to make Budge sit up and take notice and fire Cathro on the spot? Naw, its going to make **** all difference because they have made it clear hes going nowhere.

Are any fans happy just now? No, none are but none of us are in a position to change anything.

This is like the Romanov era all over again. Withold your support or suck it up and move on ffs.

If he wasn't seen as "fashionable like Locke or mcglynn he'd have been fired already.

I won't withhold support.. but the more folk who moan the better.. will help accelerate the process

Not what they discussed at half time.

Ok, I'll have to take your word for that, Paul.  :thumbsup: 

Ok, I'll have to take your word for that, Paul.  :thumbsup:

Not my word or Paul's but a player in their dressing room but you bleat on :uhoh2:

siegementality

"The poll has been corrupted" Get a grip of yourself ffs! You are beginning to sound like a raving lunatic.

Not my word or Paul's but a player in their dressing room but you bleat on :uhoh2:

Thought the smilie at the end would have indicated the tongue-in-cheek nature of my response.  Obviously not.  Never mind.  Rub some cream on that sensitive spot.

Archived