Iain Cathro ongoing Poll and discussion Thread

cylawny

Cathro Poll  

1,521 members have voted

1. 1. Cathro stay or go

Captain America

Cathro will be here over the summer and start of next season. Budge's statement made that pretty clear.

I don't think he should be.

If his win% stays as it has been, our first game in front of our shiny new stand could be played to a hostile atmosphere towards him. 

Chances are they will give us 'big' game for that.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Presumably the aeroplane enthusiasts are in favour of Cathro staying?

After what he said about replacing players in the Meet the Manager event, it was evident that the remaining games wold be a matter of going through the motions.  Is that acceptable?  Absolutely not, but it's the reality of the very poor situation we have.  I'm not going to jump on the anti-Levein train (I don't know the man from Adam), but he is the Director of Football.  He is ultimately responsible for the quality of the playing staff and the coaching staff.  Our pish signing policy predates Cathro; our inability to hang onto our brightest prospects predates Cathro.  Cathro is an easy target, though - cause he talks a wee bit differently and some folk, likesay, cannae unnerstaun' him.  Oh, and let's not forget that his wee pal's a hippy.

We've been told that the recruitment policy is being addressed.  We've been told that new players are coming in.  Cathro will get at least the first round of games.  Save your enamel some gnashing in between then and now, because the remaining results of this season ain't going to change anything.

Living onTayside and having a decent command of English I have little difficulty in understanding the man so if you are stuck let me know. It is, as I am sure you know, more what he says and then nothing changes. As regards Levein I have met him a few times and found him fine but that clearly isn't a universal opinion. As regards enamel gnashing it is a Hearts fans forum so folk can gnash all they want so long as they are not offensive. In conclusion cathro can speak however he likes and his assistant can have whatever hairstyle he wants as we all know that isn't what they are being judged on, don't we?

Living onTayside and having a decent command of English I have little difficulty in understanding the man so if you are stuck let me know. It is, as I am sure you know, more what he says and then nothing changes. As regards Levein I have met him a few times and found him fine but that clearly isn't a universal opinion. As regards enamel gnashing it is a Hearts fans forum so folk can gnash all they want so long as they are not offensive. In conclusion cathro can speak however he likes and his assistant can have whatever hairstyle he wants as we all know that isn't what they are being judged on, don't we?

I'm well aware of it.  Others appear to be struggling.

I'm well aware of it.  Others appear to be struggling.

At times but mainly as an extra irrelevant insult :tiny:

the big show

All been answered several times by several posters.

The bigger question is  why do folk keep asking the same questions every week?

Maybe they have serious concerns .. Maybe they don't want to see it get any worse .. Maybe they can't see any positives from our management team or the players .. Maybe they have listened to enough of the crap that has been spouted and have had enough and are now voicing there serious concerns .... Now given what has wen't on over the last year and a half  " Maybe " they have every right to be showing there disgust and not be like yourself and put up a smoke screen about people posting up facts about the club they love .. Spin or paint any way you like Tosh but these concerns ain't going to go away and sadly that is another fact although you know that ...

socrates82

Who the **** thought we were challenging Aberdeen this season.

I agree 30 points gap is a joke but they are a more consistent and stable side on a far higher budget of player and its taken Mcinnes 3/4 seasons.

Like it or not they were firm favourites to finish 2nd ahead of us.

The comparison on St Johnstone is far more reflective of this 2nd half of the season performances.

To be fair we were challenging aberdeen for half the season and were well ahead of st j. Wasn't enough for some though and here we are.

No its because folk on here love trolling. They like causing arguments and then calling you 'snowflake' when you react to them. It's an embarrasing side of our support this place - full of Hibs fans and the likes. The majority of people on here have never been in the Home end at Tynecastle, im sure of it.

If you are happy with Cathro in charge of Hearts you're a ******* idiot - its akin to self harm.

Again nonsense.

Have your opinion but fail to see how having a different one makes me an idiot. Wind your neck in, if you can't appreciate other people's opinions, a forum ain't for you.

I've detailed several times my argument for why I think he should get the summer. You're perfectly entitled to disagree, but get the condescension to f please.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

To be fair we were challenging aberdeen for half the season and were well ahead of st j. Wasn't enough for some though and here we are.

Oh. My. Holy. ****ing. Christ.

Please, please, please stop.

:lol:

We may as well delete the the poll. It is highly innacurate. Very very clearly the vast majority want the dynamic young duo to leave with immediate effect.

It's not though. There is a clear mix of opinions. You're just upset as it doesn't agree with you.

socrates82

Oh. My. Holy. *******. Christ.

Please, please, please stop.

:lol:

No because it's true. And yet folk still think sacking the manager will change everything.

I mean what else is ther to post on this forum these days? It's one massive troll fest with eejits who can't see beyond te last result. It used to be a place for decent football discussions and quite informed opinions. Also some genuine inside info and decent humour. Only reason i post is to try to provide a less reactionary viewpoint. Not sure what the point is though tbh.

Watt-Zeefuik

No because it's true. And yet folk still think sacking the manager will change everything.

I mean what else is ther to post on this forum these days? It's one massive troll fest with eejits who can't see beyond te last result. It used to be a place for decent football discussions and quite informed opinions. Also some genuine inside info and decent humour. Only reason i post is to try to provide a less reactionary viewpoint. Not sure what the point is though tbh.

Changing the manager did change everything before, but not for the better. If we could reverse the change right now, I would take it in a heartbeat. (And before GK comes in, yes, I know Robbie left on his own. Not the point.)

As I said I switched to "stay" because frankly if both he and the club have been putting out the statements they've said in the last month and he's off, it's bizarre. So I'm trying to be optimistic.

kingantti1874

How hard is it to believe this guy is simply a terrible manager? Occams razor - a better one would do a better job.. And his record is without question awful

I am trying to be pragmatic about it. On the one hand, recent results and performances have been dire. On the other hand, our season pretty much ended after going out the cup and achieving top six and to me, the squad has "switched off", plus, there has been a bit of experimenting happening. So I am not going to judge Cathro too harshly on the post split results. I think we have been a tad unlucky at times to have lost. We are all concerned and there is much doubt about his abilities to manage a team but he's the manager for the foreseeable future and we just need to live with that. No amount of new threads asking the same darned question will change that. I look forward to the season ending, putting this behind us and getting the new season started with a new stand and new hope. 

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

This is completely different to Neilson. Surely you realise that?!?

It's almost like you're sticking with Cathro out of spite.

Unknown user

How hard is it to believe this guy is simply a terrible manager? Occams razor - a better one would do a better job.. And his record is without question awful

Occams razor? Mate that's a methodology for deciding which hypothesis to start investigating first, based on likelihood - it has no relevance here

Again nonsense.

Have your opinion but fail to see how having a different one makes me an idiot. Wind your neck in, if you can't appreciate other people's opinions, a forum ain't for you.

I've detailed several times my argument for why I think he should get the summer. You're perfectly entitled to disagree, but get the condescension to f please.

Condescending no one, but if you are happy with Hearts losing every week there is certainly something wrong with your mindset. (not you personally before you get all offended again)

kingantti1874

Occams razor? Mate that's a methodology for deciding which hypothesis to start investigating first, based on likelihood - it has no relevance here

Lol.. I'm aware of what it means bud.. If there are 2 potential reasons for an event / the simplest one is usually the most likely.. In this instance there is debate as to why cathro has been so bad, the most likely explanation is.. He's rubbish at managing

Unknown user

Lol.. I'm aware of what it means bud.. If there are 2 potential reasons for an event / the simplest one is usually the most likely.. In this instance there is debate as to why cathro has been so bad, the most likely explanation is.. He's rubbish at managing

That's not what it means - it's a rule that says that you start by investigating the most likely, it doesn't decide anything in itself

kingantti1874

That's not what it means - it's a rule that says that you start by investigating the most likely, it doesn't decide anything in itself

I could key several examples buy instead I've just ripped this one from the Web..

Example: Two trees have fallen down during a windy night. Think about these two possible explanations:

The wind has blown them down.

Two meteorites have each taken one tree down, and after that hit each other and removed any trace of themselves.[14]

Even though both are possible, several other unlikely things would also need to happen for the meteorites to have knocked the trees down (they would have to hit each other and also not leave any marks). In addition, meteorites are fairly rare. Since this second explanation needs several assumptions to all be true, it is probably the wrong answer. Occam's razor tells us that the wind blew the trees down, because that is the simplest answer and therefore probably the right one.

In the case of our poor form post neilson occams razor tells us that Ian Cathro is brutal because that is the simplest answer and therefore "probably" the right one..

Anyway :rofl: I'm done

Unknown user

I could key several examples buy instead I've just ripped this one from the Web..

Example: Two trees have fallen down during a windy night. Think about these two possible explanations:

The wind has blown them down.

Two meteorites have each taken one tree down, and after that hit each other and removed any trace of themselves.[14]

Even though both are possible, several other unlikely things would also need to happen for the meteorites to have knocked the trees down (they would have to hit each other and also not leave any marks). In addition, meteorites are fairly rare. Since this second explanation needs several assumptions to all be true, it is probably the wrong answer. Occam's razor tells us that the wind blew the trees down, because that is the simplest answer and therefore probably the right one.

In the case of our poor form post neilson occams razor tells us that Ian Cathro is brutal because that is the simplest answer and therefore "probably" the right one..

Anyway :rofl: I'm done

That's not how it was described to me at uni (I don't mean to get all "I went to uni don't you know", it wasn't a good one!)

Occams razor simply suggests analysing which options are most likely, and starting with them - it doesn't prove anything itself.

In your example, occams razor is actually the process of analysis of likelihood, which would be followed up by actual investigation into what happened - you'd check recent weather in the area, any recent examples of meteors etc.

kingantti1874

That's not how it was described to me at uni (I don't mean to get all "I went to uni don't you know", it wasn't a good one!)

Occams razor simply suggests analysing which options are most likely, and starting with them - it doesn't prove anything itself.

In your example, occams razor is actually the process of analysis of likelihood, which would be followed up by actual investigation into what happened - you'd check recent weather in the area, any recent examples of meteors etc.

My uni taught it differently.. ;) let's continue some other time on the terrace mate.. Folk are raging at me enough. This will send them over the edge

Unknown user

My uni taught it differently.. ;) let's continue some other time on the terrace mate.. Folk are raging at me enough. This will send them over the edge

I dunno I think we've kicked the arse out of it altogether!

socrates82

Every one agrees. The disagreement is sack him now or see if he can turn it around with a summer window and pre season. I vote the latter. He basically tried to change the entire team anf way of playing in two weeks in january. No surprise it didn't work.

socrates82

This is completely different to Neilson. Surely you realise that?!?

It's almost like you're sticking with Cathro out of spite.

No I think the other option - him and/or levein leaving is worse than giving him the start of next season.

There is simply no point hiring a rookie and only giving him half a season to prove himself.

Randy Marsh

I just wouldn't trust giving Cathro the summer to rebuild the squad. He can't seem to get anything out of a Greek International with over 60 caps in such a poor league. The guy is absolutely clueless and can't even do simple things right such as playing players in their correct position. Hopefully him and Levien are gone after Sundays mauling.

You are contradicting yourself. Time, by virtue of a long break and summer transfer window, permits a fundamental and big change: to the playing staff.

No contradiction at all. If we change players it's because we changed players. Time alone doesn't change players.

More to the point if we don't change who chooses them, or who motivates them, or who plans tactics with them etc - we may well get more of the same.

I stand by my point - time alone won't change anything.

Condescending no one, but if you are happy with Hearts losing every week there is certainly something wrong with your mindset. (not you personally before you get all offended again)

Not offended in the slightest, just sick of people thinking that other people are stupid because the have a different opinion.

And yes I'm clearly overjoyed at Hearts getting beat every week. Absolutely love it.

And yes you are extremely condescending.

socrates82

It's all forgiven. We have secured 5th place :2thumbsup:

Well done Robbie Neilson. I'm sure everyone will join me in thanking Robbie for the points haul that allowed Cathro to lose almost every game but still finish 5th, and so match Sergio in the league. Cup record a bit worse mind you.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Well done Robbie Neilson. I'm sure everyone will join me in thanking Robbie for the points haul that allowed Cathro to lose almost every game but still finish 5th.

Yes, I thank Neilson for ensuring we are safe from relegation. Awesome stuff!

socrates82

Yes, I thank Neilson for ensuring we are safe from relegation. Awesome stuff!

Or to put it another way, for gaining the second highest points haul in the league by the time he left. But, yes, more awesome than not being safe for sure. Exclamation mark.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Or to put it another way, for gaining the second highest points haul in the league by the time he left. But, yes, more awesome than not being safe for sure. Exclamation mark.

Great, so now you feel vindicated, can you let the blessed Robbie go?

Well done Robbie Neilson. I'm sure everyone will join me in thanking Robbie for the points haul that allowed Cathro to lose almost every game but still finish 5th, and so match Sergio in the league. Cup record a bit worse mind you.

agreed!!

socrates82

Great, so now you feel vindicated, can you let the blessed Robbie go?

No. Will still raise it at opportune moments, and will be following his career like I do anyone who has been closely connected to Hearts and then moves on - Hartley, Cameron, McCann, etc. I honestly think he'll have a very decent career on the evidence so far. Football management is a hard gig and he's done extremely well at both his clubs so far - probably exceeding expectations in both considering how relatively inexperienced he is and that he's had a pretty puny transfer budget.

When judging Cathro it's often said how he took over mid season, which is hard. Same applies to Neilson and he proved - as he did at Hearts - that he can hit the ground running, get players playing for him and start picking up points very quickly. Does that again next season and he'll be on the radar of Championship clubs in England. Course he could also get them relegated which I'm sure will have you on here to point it out.

And if Cathro's record would have us relegated if it's extended to the entire season, doing that with Neilson's points record since he took over would have him putting Mk Dons on the cusp of or in the playoffs. So, decent.

Geoff Kilpatrick

No. Will still raise it at opportune moments, and will be following his career like I do anyone who has been closely connected to Hearts and then moves on - Hartley, Cameron, McCann, etc. I honestly think he'll have a very decent career on the evidence so far. Football management is a hard gig and he's done extremely well at both his clubs so far - probably exceeding expectations in both considering how relatively inexperienced he is and that he's had a pretty puny transfer budget.

When judging Cathro it's often said how he took over mid season, which is hard. Same applies to Neilson and he proved - as he did at Hearts - that he can hit the ground running, get players playing for him and start picking up points very quickly. Does that again next season and he'll be on the radar of Championship clubs in England. Course he could also get them relegated which I'm sure will have you on here to point it out.

And if Cathro's record would have us relegated if it's extended to the entire season, doing that with Neilson's points record since he took over would have him putting Mk Dons on the cusp of or in the playoffs. So, decent.

I honestly don't give a monkey's how Robbie Neilson does with MK Dons (qualifier: I don't like Franchise FC so I hope they lose each week). You get your little Franchise FC scarf and bash on though.

Back in ye olde Kickback days, there was a weird Dutch woman called Marian who started posting on Kickback after we signed Darren Jackson. She had a weird obsession. You are turning into a modern day Marian.

socrates82

I honestly don't give a monkey's how Robbie Neilson does with MK Dons (qualifier: I don't like Franchise FC so I hope they lose each week). You get your little Franchise FC scarf and bash on though.

Back in ye olde Kickback days, there was a weird Dutch woman called Marian who started posting on Kickback after we signed Darren Jackson. She had a weird obsession. You are turning into a modern day Marian.

Each to their own. I followed how JJ and Levein did down south as managers. Hearts players too. Just something I've always done and I kind of assumed others did, given how many threads about old players/managers appear on here! And as you do have a tendency to take things literally, by following I read about them on the BBC site or look up the results in the paper! I don't actually follow them anywhere..

robroy1874

Still find it bizarre that apparently the majority of fans according to this poll still support him staying!!

davemclaren

Still find it bizarre that apparently the majority of fans according to this poll still support him staying!!

The first 4 or 5 games of the new season will decide his fate imo

Lucille's Thirsty

I'm hate Cathro he needs to resign now why is this being a loud to continue I've paid for my season ticket already am I going to regret it?

hughesie27

You'll find it even more bizarre that 3 weeks ago only 30% wanted him to stay. That's totally shifted over the last few weeks towards him staying with the Berra rumours and the Meet the Management meeting.

Ivan Drago

You'll find it even more bizarre that 3 weeks ago only 30% wanted him to stay. That's totally shifted over the last few weeks towards him staying with the Berra rumours and the Meet the Management meeting.

It's mental. He must have used hypnosis or something at that meet the management event, like some kind of football manager Derren Brown.

kingantti1874

How many hibs fans do we think have voted stay? Sure as shit none have voted for him to leave..

A poorer record than terry butcher had at hibs.. How is that even possible..? Yet still we have hearts fans who want him to stay.. Unreal

Not offended in the slightest, just sick of people thinking that other people are stupid because the have a different opinion.

And yes I'm clearly overjoyed at Hearts getting beat every week. Absolutely love it.

And yes you are extremely condescending.

Well I didn't mean to be. So I apologise for that.

We have to keep this active.

Away back to the Big Bang Theory and take weirdy beardy with ye.

Pans Jambo

How many hibs fans do we think have voted stay? Sure as shit none have voted for him to leave..

A poorer record than terry butcher had at hibs.. How is that even possible..? Yet still we have hearts fans who want him to stay.. Unreal

This

Archived