Indy Ref Part Deux

Armageddon

Trapper John McIntyre

Michael Crick on Ch4 News just gave a succinct and balanced explanation as to why Indy Scotland would have a difficult time getting into the EU.

If your vote in the next Indy is based on EU admittance, be careful what you wish for.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No but all must contribute financially and agree to allow nuclear subs dock or refuel and also agree to early warning stations making each country just as big a target as those with Nuclear weapons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denmark don't.

Space Mackerel

No guarantee that there will be a referendum. Long way to go before it's ever given, if ever.

Just like the Spanish telling some junior minister from the SNP to GTF the other day? How did that turn out?

You're reading these right wing Daily Express posts on FB again aren't you?

It is actually a very tactically astute move by the SNP/Sturgeon. She knows if the tories oppose the referendum then there could potentially be a massive backlash and the tories once again losing any ground they may have won in Scotland.

I wish the older generation would just **** off tbh. They caused Brexit, they voted no and they continue to be right thorns in the side of the generation that actually matter now.

By the time we are their age they will have left us **** all, we will all be 100 before we get to retire and all because of past decisions made by dinosaurs

**** old people ?

A vote winner !

:uhoh2:

Trapper John McIntyre

Thanks for adding some humour to the discussion  :sunny:

Voters win/lose referendums. Not fecking cheerleaders.

Michael Crick on Ch4 News just gave a succinct and balanced explanation as to why Indy Scotland would have a difficult time getting into the EU.

If your vote in the next Indy is based on EU admittance, be careful what you wish for.

There is always the efta/EEA route, allowing access to single market.

I'm in the older generation and I'm gong nowhere any time soon.

I should have added that PHM are exempt from my statement.

Scotland is getting half the cash and half of the armed forces. England can have half of Andy Murray. And all of Judy Murray.

The anger and animosity has started already. What a horrible place Scotland will be once again thanks to Sturgeon and her entourage.

Nothing to do with Cameron and his European folly?

May talked about not playing politics. What exactly was Cameron doing regards the eu referendum?

Seems rather hypocritical to me.

Space Mackerel

I'd rather hear from the horses mouth myself. Ken, the Chief Brexit negotiator.

51bcd5798811576bd5fb2b230b7b9354.jpg

Basically it's coming down to a choice between the EU and the UK

And there's only going to be one winner in this.

Think the margin will be higher than last time

jambo lodge

Maybe, just maybe, the new Scottish Navy can inherit the place and get 20,000 jobs back.

You do like to suck on the English teet that feeds you.

Is that a navy with or without ships. Perhaps there is a second hand market somewhere in warships? More Ant-English comments on your agenda tonight?  

DanishTam10

Don't quite get the No mentality. How many times do you need to be slapped in the face and lied to by Westminster. It's like a grand scale form of Stockholm Syndrome.

How many times do you need to be slapped in the face and lied to by Nicola, Holyrood, the SNP and the Yes movement?

Just like the Spanish telling some junior minister from the SNP to GTF the other day? How did that turn out?

You're reading these right wing Daily Express posts on FB again aren't you?

Not read that rag today.

I make my own mind up and don't listen to cretins.

I'd be very surprised if May sanctioned an other referendum any time soon.

No guarantee that there will be a referendum. Long way to go before it's ever given, if ever.

Westminster not granting the referendum would be a serious mistake, politically, IMO.

I voted yes last time, will probably vote the same this time. Sadly, I think no will win.

DanishTam10

Space Mackerel, you have to keep up. 

This isn't 2014, or a rerun of 2014. 

Space Mackerel

Is that a navy with or without ships. Perhaps there is a second hand market somewhere in warships? More Ant-English comments on your agenda tonight?

Yous can keep the new aircraft carriers that won't have any aircraft on them till sometime next decade, no use to us. Scrap value man.

We'll have 8% of everything else.

Trapper John McIntyre

Westminster not granting the referendum would be a serious mistake, politically, IMO.

I voted yes last time, will probably vote the same this time. Sadly, I think no will win.

How?

What can the SNP do about it? Absolutely nothing.

A few nutters will jump around the streets with their flags and blue faces and then go home.

It's not up to him. 27 countries will have a vote if Scotland ever make the short list.

Go and read up on 1) Brexit 2) New member requirements.

jambo lodge

20,000 jobs ?

The armed forces personnel can move to Portsmouth or Southampton, they'd still have their jobs.

Perhaps but the jobs at risk are the support workers at Faslane and the jobs on the Clyde building naval ships would also be offski.

Space Mackerel

Not read that rag today.

I make my own mind up and don't listen to cretins.

I'd be very surprised if May sanctioned an other referendum any time soon.

You do know that most people understand the notion that we live in a democracy, Maggie May included.

He's the guy that wants UK citizens to have chance of individual 'membership' allowing freedom of movement etc.

You do know that most people understand the notion that we live in a democracy, Maggie May included.

You and your's have just ignored the once in a generation vote that democratically voted No.

I have absolutely no doubt it will be a no again. The White Paper last time was as weak as Piss this time it will no better.

20,000 jobs ?

The armed forces personnel can move to Portsmouth or Southampton, they'd still have their jobs.

They could move to Malaysia or China

Probably just as convenient

Space Mackerel

It's not up to him. 27 countries will have a vote if Scotland ever make the short list.

27 countries, which should be more important to you being a Yoon, have to vote to your Brexit deal before that.

Yip. It could also be a smart move to allow it.

The fall out for the SNP post-vote could possibly be damaging.

You can bet your life that is how the No camp will appeal to potential Yes voters.

Simply, why jeopardise all the power you have at present ?

I reckon many will not chance it.

DanishTam10

So what, who cares who advised who, the SNP have played a blinder by announcing it on this day of all days.

Maggie May caught napping given the state of her in the interview I saw on Sky. Kezia Dugdale with tears and snotters all over the shop too.

So Space Mackerel, are you saying that the timing, just before the snp conference, isn't a last ditch effort?

Kinda seems like it to me. What the eff is it about? (apart from the Unicorn and Rainbow path to progressive Brilliance)

There is only one country that could Potentially be against Scotland being in the EU and that is Spain. Due to of course the Catalonia independence debate currently ongoing. However, there is a massive difference between Scotland and Catalonia and a Spain veto is highly unlikely. If they did veto us then they would be admitting that catalonia are essentially in the same situation as Scotland.

Space Mackerel

You and your's have just ignored the once in a generation vote that democratically voted No.

I have absolutely no doubt it will be a no again. The White Paper last time was as weak as Piss this time it will no better.

I had actually moved on, as had most from 2014, Brexit was the new catalyst. You should be directing your anger towards Tory HQ and Cameron, not the SNP.

27 countries, which should be more important to you being a Yoon, have to vote to your Brexit deal before that.

Yes I'm sure when they consider the trade they will lose an amicable deal will be made.

It's in the interests of both parties to reach an agreement.

Scotland is a distraction and no matter what way anything went Sturgeon was always going down the referendum route. She will lose again.

Trapper John McIntyre

I had actually moved on, as had most from 2014, Brexit was the new catalyst. You should be directing your anger towards Tory HQ and Cameron, not the SNP.

Scotland would have been out of the EU in 2014 if the vote went the other way. Inconvenient truth. All that Brexit catalyst stuff is horseshit.

Just looking at the proposals for the military from the last indy ref. According to the White Paper, we wanted to increase military personnel by double within a decade of independence. Why the **** were we increasing it? We don't need a bigger military, just a more relevant one. Less on subs, bombers and squaddies, more on border patrols, intelligence gathering and cyber warfare

Space Mackerel

So Space Mackerel, are you saying that the timing, just before the snp conference, isn't a last ditch effort?

Kinda seems like it to me. What the eff is it about? (apart from the Unicorn and Rainbow path to progressive Brilliance)

It's not a last ditch effort, there will be an indy3. There's a hard core committed movement on right now, bigger than anything Scotland has seen in the past. That's why the Yoons are so worried about 2.

Its one way of communicating

Not sure if I want to stay with you for the laughs (at you) or just ignore

What do you think is best?

jambo lodge

So the EU official spokesman today was telling the press a lie when he said an independent Scotland would have to apply to join the EU. In the world of conspiracy that you seem to live in perhaps?

So, we have this vote what will be the next catalyst... Then the next catalyst.... Then the next catalyst...

And if do become independent, say by a small margin why shouldn't we grant the better together campaign a second chance as Well?

When does it end?

You're right.

That dick, Cameron, made an almighty error in pandering to the right wing in his party.

Arsehole that he is. Should be behind bars.

Sexton Hardcastle

Can't wait for people to make their minds up based on the football team they follow...again.

Space Mackerel

Its one way of communicating

Not sure if I want to stay with you for the laughs (at you) or just ignore

Whst fo you think is best?

Best to put me on ignore if I get your blood pressure up [emoji106]

Cruyff Turn

This 2nd Referendum pretty much lays at the feet of Cameron.

However, the division has been there for more than 300 years.

Did Orangemen just start marching since the SNP came to power?

Did John MacLean raise the red flag in Glasgow and call for a Scottish Republic post SNP?

Or did the Devolved parliament? to try and fix a one sided Union which has left the UK even more undemocratic on both sides.

This mess wasn't created by the SNP.

This is the resulting last reminents of an medievil and out of touch empire falling apart because democracy runs riot through the UK constitution and there is no other way to fix it.

skinnybob72

And NATO would say naw, there's nothing strategic about your position in the world even though all the Russian nuclear subs pass within a stones throw of our coastline on a weekly basis? :lol:

Which is handy because stones may be the only form of defence an independent Scotland will have.

DanishTam10

This 2nd Referendum pretty much lays at the feet of Cameron.

However, the division has been there for more than 300 years.

Did Orangemen just start marching since the SNP came to power?

Did John MacLean raise the red flag in Glasgow and call for a Scottish Republic post SNP?

Or did the Devolved parliament? to try and fix a one sided Union which has left the UK even more undemocratic on both sides.

This mess wasn't created by the SNP.

This is the resulting last reminents of an medievil and out of touch empire falling apart because democracy runs riot through the UK constitution and there is no other way to fix it.

nope, 

Space Mackerel

You're right.

That dick, Cameron, made an almighty error in pandering to the right wing in his party.

Arsehole that he is. Should be behind bars.

Behind bars for what? If anything he's done the decent thing and allowed people a voice.

Not sure why people say on here referendums are shite, at least you get a tiny small say in things in macro policy.

But he did gamble, and it's looking like a lose/lose now.

The SNP were looking for any excuse to try for independence. Still there's no guarantee of getting one now and absolutely no chance of it happening if there was another one in the future. The odds are stacked against any credible case for it. The financial case alone close it down. Add in No EU No NATO No Oil No UK trade without tariffs.

No Chance at all.

jambos are go!

Andrew Neill(much complimented on this thread) says that the final Brexit deal will not be  thrashed out till the week before the deadline because that's how Europe works. Everything that comes out up to then will just be posturing. I would call it now or leave it till after the next Holyrood Election when we  will know what Brexit is through experience.

Lingering doubt in my mind that this is all part of the UKwide  Remain Campaign to frighten Tory backbenchers into rejecting a hard Brexit.

Maroon Sailor

At the least it will be the end of that wee ferret Sturgeon once and for all

Showing her true colours about wanting what's best for Scotland. Read - It's my obsession for Scotland to be an independent country and stuff the consequences.

One thing to say to her - Euro having a laugh Krankie

Space Mackerel

Which is handy because stones may be the only form of defence an independent Scotland will have.

Stones will be more accurate than these Trident missiles by all accounts from the media lately. :)

The SNP were looking for any excuse to try for independence. Still there's no guarantee of getting one now and absolutely no chance of it happening if there was another one in the future. The odds are stacked against any credible case for it. The financial case alone close it down. Add in No EU No NATO No Oil No UK trade without tariffs.

No Chance at all.

nice to hear you're hurting!

Scotland got to get on with it now  :uhoh2:

Not even 12 hrs since NS announced she is seeking permission for another Indy ref and the bigotry and xenophobia and bile and hatred has started online already.

Witnessed several extremists (in calling them that because normal sensible people can debate without resorting to foaming at the mouth hatred because someone has a different opinion) ganging up on a couple of obvious No voters calling them traitors, English scum, and they should be marched out of Scotland. This was on Facebook on an article from STV.

Absolutely disgusting.

That's me out already.

Archived