Indy Ref Part Deux

Armageddon

deesidejambo

No, I was just saying it to make a point. I do utterly despise the loathesome little skincrawl though.

Fear not.  In a recent interview she said she may well stand down at the next election.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it's old school it started 30 odd years ago when I was at Tynie lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was a staple at Clermiston Primary in the mid 80s too.

Superb that Cameron's misjudged Tory ball licking fantasy has come to this.What an incredible legacy for the man.

Very obvious that Yes will prevail here. There can't be a valid argument for a No vote based on the inevitable hard Brexit.

That is completely delusion.

Cannae wait to see the onionist reaction to Indy in George sq. This time it won't be full of weans.

Malinga the Swinga

Superb that Cameron's misjudged Tory ball licking fantasy has come to this.What an incredible legacy for the man.

Very obvious that Yes will prevail here. There can't be a valid argument for a No vote based on the inevitable hard Brexit.

seem to recall the Yes supporters thought it was inevitable the last time that they would win and look what happened. Will be the same again although majority for No will be higher. There is simply no economic or sensible argument for the Yes vote.

Fear not. In a recent interview she said she may well stand down at the next election.

I read that too but I think you will find she said she is "Pure gonna stand down eh".

Cannae wait to see the onionist reaction to Indy in George sq. This time it won't be full of weans.

A lot of watery eyes that is for sure.

seem to recall the Yes supporters thought it was inevitable the last time that they would win and look what happened. Will be the same again although majority for No will be higher. There is simply no economic or sensible argument for the Yes vote.

Economic argument to remain in UK after hard Brexit?

I voted No 3 years ago.

A lot of watery eyes that is for sure.

Are you bringing yer sword and shield? With yer heart in hand.

Nookie Bear

No, I was just saying it to make a point. I do utterly despise the loathesome little skincrawl though.

She has actually made some decent points recently regarding the pomp and circumstance of the House of Commons saying the House gets lost in tradition where it should be a place of work. Hard not to agree to some extent but that's not relevant here.

I voted No 3 years ago.

We wouldn't be giving up large portion of our biggest exports to England by remaining or limiting ourselves to tariffs and quotas on trade deals.

?50bn in free trade with rUK against ?12bn trade with the EU doesn't take Einstein to work out what's the better for our economy.

Go on then. Valid argument based on hard Brexit.

A hard brexit with the UK..

or

Out of Europe and the U.K. at the same time..

I know what I'd choose

We wouldn't be giving up large portion of our biggest exports to England by remaining or limiting ourselves to tariffs and quotas on trade deals.

?50bn in free trade with rUK against ?12bn trade with the EU doesn't take Einstein to work out what's the better for our economy.

England will make it harder to trade with us? That would be odd based on those numbers and given their rhetoric on continuing to trade with everyone, eh?

I voted Yes last time and if there is another, I'd vote yes again.

We might be a small nation but we have so much to offer and soo much potential waiting to be utilised. Why else would Westminster campaign so hard to keep us united? England and the rest if the UK need us.

Scotland has untapped renewable engery, and with technology rapidly inproving this will only help. We could run the country off of renewable energy, helping us all reduce costs (a personal gain) and help reduce the carbon footprint (a national gain).

Yes, there's the oil, but basis an economy on a fluctuating product is stupid. Hiw can a government plan spending when it doesn't know how much it will have?? However this shouldn't be used as a point to reject independence. Any other nation would be over the moon to have such a resource at it's disposal.

I feel I'm rambling now, so a final point.TM won't listen to what Scotland want's during a massive decision like Brexit, then when is she or Westminster ever going to??

A Yes vote may not be great straight away but I like to think future generations will thank us

And financial services will relocate south.

Interestingly most of RBS customers are in England. It won't surprise me if they now start to move their accounts to banks based in England as on Indy RBS would effectively become a foreign bank with no UK govt underwriting.

Yip. Same as the RBS customers in America eh.

Malinga the Swinga

I voted No 3 years ago.

Sorry, have Brexit negotiations been concluded and have we seen the outcome. The assumption of Hard Brexit is only been made because it suits Sturgeons desire for referendum.mthere is very chance that negotiations will ensure the rights of EU workers in the UK as long as the opposite is also guaranteed. In fact, it is almost 100% guaranteed to happen.

I voted remain but their were a lots of Scots who wanted out the EU. Why is it okay to ignore the minority there but not the minority who voted Yes? Sturgeon wants to pick and choose what results she recognises which is hardly democratic. Wait till after the Brexit negotiations are finished, see what the fall out is, and then decide if referendum is required.

Feel sorry for the youngsters who will pay a massive price socially and financially if the people of scotland get duped into voting for independence. With salmond estimating scotland would have ?7.6 billion in the coffers every year. That has proved to be another of salmonds many desperate lies. How can snp make up this money . Up taxes and cut services , e.u rules that scotland a country with the biggest debts in europe would have to get its house in order. As sturgeon says independance transcendseverything. Health,education,security.

Cairneyhill Jambo

You believe she was these things, others believe she was self serving, dishonest and blinkered. She was abusive to the millions who voted against independence as she ignored their express desire to remain in the UK. She was not respectful to that decision at all. As for the will of the people, she was ignoring the will of the people by ignoring the last referendum.

Abusive? Aye?? To the millions who voted no? You mean the two million? You should get a job for the Sun writing guff like that.

Did you hear her speech today?? Kinda blows your argument out the water.

"The Scottish Government's mandate for offering this choice is beyond doubt.

Last year we were elected, with the highest share of the constituency vote won by any party in the history of devolution, on a manifesto that said this:

"The Scottish Parliament should have the right to hold another referendum...if there is a significant and material change in the circumstances that prevailed in 2014, such as Scotland being taken out the EU against our will."

These conditions of course have now been met."

Wait till after the Brexit negotiations are finished, see what the fall out is, and then decide if referendum is required.

The sensible option but it won't satisfy the rabid Yes voters, can there be a caveat in the referendum that no other indy ref' can be called for 10/15 years?

England will make it harder to trade with us? That would be odd based on those numbers and given their rhetoric on continuing to trade with everyone, eh?

They would make it harder if we leave yes. At present based on the last set of figures for 2015 we exported ?50bn to the rUK and just over ?12bn to the EU a difference of some ?37.5bn

Out of that ?50bn how much will be lose? It will be quite a considerable amount by the time we have to pay tariffs and we will also be limited. We will already be saddled with a bill for leaving the U.K. Along with major logistical bills for infrastructure and quite possible having to secure a hard border with England. Where will all this money be coming from? Just because we leave the U.K. Does not mean our ?12bn EU exports will automatically increase we. Ant force people to buy more of what they are buying now is all they need or are limited to.

DanishTam10

I voted Yes last time and if there is another, I'd vote yes again.

We might be a small nation but we have so much to offer and soo much potential waiting to be utilised. Why else would Westminster campaign so hard to keep us united? England and the rest if the UK need us.

Scotland has untapped renewable engery, and with technology rapidly inproving this will only help. We could run the country off of renewable energy, helping us all reduce costs (a personal gain) and help reduce the carbon footprint (a national gain).

Yes, there's the oil, but basis an economy on a fluctuating product is stupid. Hiw can a government plan spending when it doesn't know how much it will have?? However this shouldn't be used as a point to reject independence. Any other nation would be over the moon to have such a resource at it's disposal.

I feel I'm rambling now, so a final point.TM won't listen to what Scotland want's during a massive decision like Brexit, then when is she or Westminster ever going to??

A Yes vote may not be great straight away but I like to think future generations will thank us

Like what. Please don't say whisky export duty. 

Sorry, have Brexit negotiations been concluded and have we seen the outcome. The assumption of Hard Brexit is only been made because it suits Sturgeons desire for referendum.mthere is very chance that negotiations will ensure the rights of EU workers in the UK as long as the opposite is also guaranteed. In fact, it is almost 100% guaranteed to happen.

I voted remain but their were a lots of Scots who wanted out the EU. Why is it okay to ignore the minority there but not the minority who voted Yes? Sturgeon wants to pick and choose what results she recognises which is hardly democratic. Wait till after the Brexit negotiations are finished, see what the fall out is, and then decide if referendum is required.

It's always going to be on someone's terms though. The SNP have, and probably rightly so, picked the right moment. After it's all done we can maybe have a nice Scottish Labour Party running the show up here with the ambition of growing and creating a sustainable country.

The sensible option but it won't satisfy the rabid Yes voters, can there be a caveat in the referendum that no other indy ref' can be called for 10/15 years?

I said earlier I think this is what May will say to NS. She can have her Indy ref but only after we have exited the EU. Meaning the people of Scotland will then know exactly what we are voting for.

Like you say though this will not suit the rabid extremists because they want to treat the people as stupid and have us turning up to put an X on something that we don't know what we're voting for.

This isn't a game it's serious can't be rushed into blindly.

They would make it harder if we leave yes. At present based on the last set of figures for 2015 we exported ?50bn to the rUK and just over ?12bn to the EU a difference of some ?37.5bn

Out of that ?50bn how much will be lose? It will be quite a considerable amount by the time we have to pay tariffs and we will also be limited. We will already be saddled with a bill for leaving the U.K. Along with major logistical bills for infrastructure and quite possible having to secure a hard border with England. Where will all this money be coming from? Just because we leave the U.K. Does not mean our ?12bn EU exports will automatically increase we. Ant force people to buy more of what they are buying now is all they need or are limited to.

How much did the rest of the UK make on our 50 billion of exports? Again, why would they make it harder to trade based on those figures?

Which they failed to do. They should now attempt to run our country properly instead of running it into the ground and blaiming the nasty English.

why do unionists always bring racism/xenephobia into it? If you can show me any anti-English rhetoric from our first minister that would be nice. If you want to see hatred for a nation there is loads on here, and not from nationalists (well maybe Aussie but I never read his ravings)

Cruyff Turn

Most of that is pure conjecture.

So what you're saying is that Scotland would have to pay out all this money to England without nothing in return?

I don't think so.

The UK however will probably be paying a fortune for Brexit and I don't see why we should pay for that.

How much did the rest of the UK make on our 50 billion of exports? Again, why would they make it harder to trade based on those figures?

Again your using that same ridiculous argument someone else made. What does it matter how much the rUK made? If you owned a business and bought supplies do you think the supplier moans or is against you making a profit? It's business, and as it stands the U.K. Anyway is limited on quotas as per EU Rules and also has tariffs. So anything sold outside the U.K. Is subject to that.

The fact is we sold ?50bn of exports tariff free and without limits to the rUK. Being independent and in the EU that would then be subject to tariffs and limits. So we will actually lose money and a lot of it, and let's not forget we will not have a Barnett formula to fall back on.

Shortbread...

We have an abundance of natural resources as stated. Tourism is massive and will continue to be so. To take an example, if you live in the EU and come to the festival every year and you now have to have a visa to come to Edinburgh (I know nothing has been agreed yet and TM might get free movement but she might not) you may decide to sack it. Why deprive a massive market?

Our Universities contribute greatly to science and innovation. Again partly helped through funding from the EU.

As a 'small nation' we have a lot to offer and a lot of potential.

To ask a question back, what potential does the UK have outside the EU? And don't mention 'taking back control.'

So what you're saying is that Scotland would have to pay out all this money to England without nothing in return?

I don't think so.

The UK however will probably be paying a fortune for Brexit and I don't see why we should pay for that.

It's not conjecture at all the figures are available to view online from many places including the Scottish government. Those figures exclude oil and gas by the way.

The tariffs and limits are not conjecture the U.K. Is already subject to them read my other post re these.

I haven't mentioned a thing about us paying for Brexit, however since you bring it up, the Brexit bill is for already agreed deals the U.K. Made, Scotland being part of that UK would also have to negotiate around these.

Cairneyhill Jambo

The shooting industry in Scotland is worth ?200m a year alone. Add on Wildlife tourism. White tailed eagles bring in over ?5m a year to Mull alone. Exports of gin were worth nearly ?400 million between January and October 2016, while exports of beer were worth ?479m from January to October in the same period.

Again your using that same ridiculous argument someone else made. What does it matter how much the rUK made? If you owned a business and bought supplies do you think the supplier moans or is against you making a profit? It's business, and as it stands the U.K. Anyway is limited on quotas as per EU Rules and also has tariffs. So anything sold outside the U.K. Is subject to that.

The fact is we sold ?50bn of exports tariff free and without limits to the rUK. Being independent and in the EU that would then be subject to tariffs and limits. So we will actually lose money and a lot of it, and let's not forget we will not have a Barnett formula to fall back on.

The profit the buyer makes on the imports will definitely affect their buying decisions. What if 50bn is a good deal? Maybe Scotland can charge 100bn after independence?

kingantti1874

I don't think so.

What do you mean - we should pay for it? We are paying for jack shit as it is, our deficit is embarrassingly large.. independence will result in monstrous cuts which will, ironically, directly impact the morons who would be most likely vote yes.

There's a small part of me that actually wants it to happen so that I can troll the pish out of every dumb ******* I know when their bribes sorry, benefits, free prescriptions, free tolls, baby boxes, selective council tax rises, fee education and the health service),all vanish / take a battering.

The last time at least we had the prospect of oil money, now all we have is tax rises and spending cuts .. sounds ****ing tremendous.

The profit the buyer makes on the imports will definitely affect their buying decisions. What if 50bn is a good deal? Maybe Scotland can charge 100bn after independence?

Now your being ridiculous. So ok well just hike the price up now we no longer in the UK. Clearly your not a business person if you genuinely think that's how things work.

kingantti1874

Shortbread...

We have an abundance of natural resources as stated. Tourism is massive and will continue to be so. To take an example, if you live in the EU and come to the festival every year and you now have to have a visa to come to Edinburgh (I know nothing has been agreed yet and TM might get free movement but she might not) you may decide to sack it. Why deprive a massive market?

Our Universities contribute greatly to science and innovation. Again partly helped through funding from the EU.

As a 'small nation' we have a lot to offer and a lot of potential.

To ask a question back, what potential does the UK have outside the EU? And don't mention 'taking back control.'

So why is our deficit double that of Greece at its lowest ebb. Embarrassing.

Now your being ridiculous. So ok well just hike the price up now we no longer in the UK. Clearly your not a business person if you genuinely think that's how things work.

Ok. You have to tell me how the 50bn figure is worked out for both England and Scotland then.

People buy stuff at cost and sell for a profit.

What do you mean - we should pay for it? We are paying for jack shit as it is, our deficit is embarrassingly large.. independence will result in monstrous cuts which will, ironically, directly impact the morons who would be most likely vote yes.

There's a small part of me that actually wants it to happen so that I can troll the pish out of every dumb ******* I know when their bribes sorry, benefits, free prescriptions, free tolls, baby boxes, selective council tax rises, fee education and the health service),all vanish / take a battering.

The last time at least we had the prospect of oil money, now all we have is tax rises and spending cuts .. sounds ******* tremendous.

This is what's scary, so many people allowing the Hearts to rule their heads in this and not thinking clearly the consequences.

It's Independence at all costs even if it means us bankrupting ourselves.

DanishTam10

The shooting industry in Scotland is worth ?200m a year alone. Add on Wildlife tourism. White tailed eagles bring in over ?5m a year to Mull alone. Exports of gin were worth nearly ?400 million between January and October 2016, while exports of beer were worth ?479m from January to October in the same period.

Are you having a laugh. 

You need to plug ?9B a year. as we are, not considering additional costs. 

That is just over ?1B. (also- those figures are in EU and in UK)

This is what's scary, so many people allowing the Hearts to rule their heads in this and not thinking clearly the consequences.

It's Independence at all costs even if it means us bankrupting ourselves.

Who says its independence at all costs?

So why is our deficit double that of Greece at its lowest ebb. Embarrassing.

Well if we could make choice's using the full resouce the country makes and produces we may find out if this is true??

But since we currently don't have access to it all we can't and we will never know. Will we?

kingantti1874

Are you having a laugh.

You need to plug ?9B a year. as we are, not considering additional costs.

That is just over ?1B. (also- those figures are in EU and in UK)

?9bn to only have a ?6bn deficit.

kingantti1874

Well if we could make choice's using the full resouce the country makes and produces we may find out if this is true??

But since we currently don't have access to it all we can't and we will never know. Will we?

No we do know, those of us not seduced by nationalist lies and propaganda. That hole cannot be filled without incredible cuts and tax hikes, and the people who tax they intend to hike - will likely leave.

No we do know, those of us not seduced by nationalist lies and propaganda. That hole cannot be filled without incredible cuts and tax hikes, and the people who tax they intend to hike - will likely leave.

Er, you have clearly not heard about the SNP magic money tree.

kingantti1874

:rofl: this must be the most twee economic arguement ever..

Get real :rofl:

kingantti1874

Er, you have clearly not heard about the SNP magic money tree.

:rofl: .. I'd bet that almost every yes voter failed standard grade maths..

Why are folk arguing with people with user names like GB Jambo and Jambo Lodge? I'm sure their views are fairly well entrenched.

The tax hikes and public sector cuts which will inevitably come from the Convservatives in Westminster after a soft or hard Brexit?

Either way the above it happening (With a soft or hard Brexit or with Scotland In or Out of the EU) but why not atleast have a say in the matter, where you're vote might mean something instead of being ignored.

Archived