Indy Ref Part Deux

Armageddon

Arnold Rothstein

All right then I think Auld Granny Mae is a patronising auld biddy.

Frequently seen around the corridors of power in EU looking like a geriatric on the loose from hospital with nobody to talk to. If she had any morals she wouldn't have put herself up for the PM job as like Cameron she was against Brexit. At least Cameron had the decency to resign.

Cool. You're entitled to your opinion.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The abrasive language or 'clever' nicknames from both sides doesn't help -

I don't care if its 'NatCretin' or 'Yoony', 'Nippy' or 'Rooth the Mooth', 'Wee Jimmy Krankie' or 'Maggie May', 'Natsi' or 'Traitors'.

When I start seeing this language I generally skip past the rest of the details in the post as I'd rather not waste my time reading insults and empty rhetoric.

I only used that language as a light hearted retort to someone who was justifying an earlier poster calling the First Minister of Scotland an abrasive cow. I agree it does nothing for the debate but it works both ways.

• We can't stay as we will already be out and need to reapply - which will put us in the queue behind countries like Bosnia and Montenegro.  The timescale is not in Nippy's control - Westminster has to tell Nippy when or if she is allowed to have one.
  • Sweden is a poor comparison as the Krona is their own currency.  We can't take the Pound Sterling as that is controlled by the BOE and Westminster government. 
  • You want to create a Scottish pound - what value would that have on exchange rates?

Out? We are IN NOW. Why would we leave? The UK is leaving. We get an Indy vote before Brexit and we will argue that we are simply Maintaining membership. 

Why is Sweden a poor comparison when Monetnegro & Bosnia isnt? They have never been part of the EU and Scotland already has EU rules as part of it's statutes so we are more than half way there already!

Scottish pound - Yes. Exchange rates? Who knows. Do you know what the Sterling/Euro rate will be tomorrow???

A bit inflammatory towards the elderly there pal.  Not that she is anywhere near 'elderly'.

Shes an auld coo & you know it

I only used that language as a light hearted retort to someone who was justifying an earlier poster calling the First Minister of Scotland an abrasive cow. I agree it does nothing for the debate but it works both ways.

Precisely my point - tit :qqb006: for tat exchanges on that level just detract from the true debate.

Then take UK citizenship

and out expats can take Spanish citizenship and so on

I really don't get the big deal

You want to live in a country- join it

I would have it no UK passport, no vote

I'm sure you would. Then we can have a no Scots birth line no indyref vote, or we just go the same reasoned way as the first vote. It's all down to you, you decide doc. No EU voters and no rUK voters, or all residents of Scotland vote?

AlphonseCapone

Away from the personal stuff. I had an interesting thought that might be completely wrong but I'll put it out there.

The fact May is unlikely to point blank refuse the referendum but to delay it may actually be the plan and politically that makes sense for a few reasons;

1 - Scotland will need to apply for EU membership, the SNP must know this but if they have the cover of blaming the Tories, they'll see this as a potential increase in the poll.

2 - They know a decent number of potential yes voters want out of the EU. Portraying being taking out as number 1 above will still keep the adamant EU supporters on side or at least have a scapegoat for leaving but opens the chance to float EEA membership, a half way house almost as a compromise. I know this won't be bring all brexit voters on side but may some.

3 - The idea of Westminster and a Tory PM dictating the referendum (that's how it will be spun of course) will again be seen as a potential poll increase in the SNP's eyes.

I may be giving them too much credit but I thought it was an interesting possibility.

I want someone to tell me why they are so determined and desperate to be part of the EU. It all reeks a bit of bullshit to me. I don?t think anyone deep down is too bothered, it just gives them a cause. The ?single Market? does not wash with me as half the NatCretins have no concept of what it actually is and it is certainly not anywhere near the biggest market for Scotland.

During Indyfail1 the European Union was merely a footnote (if anything) as the NatCretins never had it trending everyday. Now oil has been swept aside (as proven a non argument) and the European Union that 27 months ago was not even 1% of the argument is now 100% of the argument. Is no-one seeing how this is working? As I said earlier if the UK voted to remain in the EU the SNP would cry that they wanted out as they are born contrarians.

So start making yourself busy (not like many have actual jobs) with your face painting and your harassment on streets. Start your hashtags, have your meetings, your protests and start the name calling, we, the No voters will just work away paying our taxes and contributing, go to the ballot box and make our voice heard and not be a public nuisance and a national disgrace.

Sober up. That last bit, why are you so eager to stay in the UK and George square sums up the no voting ex silent majority, your voices were loud and clear. You can still hear them at Ibrox every fortnight.

Away from the personal stuff. I had an interesting thought that might be completely wrong but I'll put it out there.

The fact May is unlikely to point blank refuse the referendum but to delay it may actually be the plan and politically that makes sense for a few reasons;

1 - Scotland will need to apply for EU membership, the SNP must know this but if they have the cover of blaming the Tories, they'll see this as a potential increase in the poll.

2 - They know a decent number of potential yes voters want out of the EU. Portraying being taking out as number 1 above will still keep the adamant EU supporters on side or at least have a scapegoat for leaving but opens the chance to float EEA membership, a half way house almost as a compromise. I know this won't be bring all brexit voters on side but may some.

3 - The idea of Westminster and a Tory PM dictating the referendum (that's how it will be spun of course) will again be seen as a potential poll increase in the SNP's eyes.

I may be giving them too much credit but I thought it was an interesting possibility.

Agreed.

Interesting that Sturgeon refers to The Single Market more than the EU, per se.

It could also be a big game of bluff, trying to force May to include Scotland in the single market, and all that entails, as part of the Brexit negotiations.  If she can make a deal for the Irish border and potentially for the City of London, why not Scotland?

"Racist"

"Bigot"

TBF, your public support for Le Pen in France leaves you open to those sorts of comparisons.

Not saying you are either of those things, just pointing out how perceptions can form.

Nookie Bear

• We can't stay as we will already be out and need to reapply - which will put us in the queue behind countries like Bosnia and Montenegro. The timescale is not in Nippy's control - Westminster has to tell Nippy when or if she is allowed to have one.
  • Sweden is a poor comparison as the Krona is their own currency. We can't take the Pound Sterling as that is controlled by the BOE and Westminster government.
  • You want to create a Scottish pound - what value would that have on exchange rates?

Surely Sturgeon cannot fail on the currency issue again. She needs to clearly state her plans in this regard, beyond simply saying it will be "addressed post-Independence".

Has she made plans for a Scottish pound? Had discussions with Europe re using the Euro?

This needs to be established from the outset.

I'm a bit sceptical of people on here who have clearly been Unionist SNP bashers suddenly proclaiming that they voted Yes the last time.

As old VM would say I just don't believe it.

Anyway it will all be decided in the referendum and not by people on JKB trying to be dramatic.

I'm 28 mate and literally take no interest in politics. I can assure you my mother votes for me as I'm in the forces and often away and I gave her my vote. She voted yes for me as she voted yes herself.

Personally I could not give a shiny what you think I voted :lol: just thought I'd protect my integrity rather than be accused of lying to make friends on JKB :rofl:

Space Mackerel

As opposed to

"you are not Scottish"

"Racist"

"Bigot"

p.s "public nuisance" is not name calling.

I don't use these terms, the only one I use is Yoon.

You're the one contradicting yourself in the original post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TBF, your public support for Le Pen in France leaves you open to those sorts of comparisons.

Not saying you are either of those things, just pointing out how perceptions can form.

I actually find Le Pen quite hard to like, I find her quite dry and arrogant.  However, she could be the world?s biggest bitch out there she suits my political agenda right now.  What I will say though is I certainly don?t find her as unsavoury as the ?left? make out and I certainly don?t dislike her because hashtags tell me to.

Le Pen has a quality that I admire and that is honesty.  If she achieves what she wants to in France it strengthens what I overall want in Europe (and the West today) and that is tighter border controls, maintaining cultures, maintaining traditions, maintaining our way of life, freedom of speech and an end to political correctness .  There is a monumental threat from Islam right now, if you can?t see this you are being dishonest to yourself.

The world will never be at peace, and quite frankly I have given up caring what places like the middle East do to one another everyday.  I just want peace and freedom in the bubble I live in (the West).  I want someone to be employed based purely on ability.  I want a film to win an Oscar based purely on film quality and I want to be able to put an X on my ballot paper without being called a racist.  I want to never have to walk on an eggshell as someone may be offended at something that is just so normal.  I want to say ?Merry Christmas? on a work email without it having to be recalled as it may offend someone on the chain.  I want to call a black board a blackboard without being told I am being racist.  I utterly object to the direction that the West is going in right now.

I am not French and it is their call but I will hope that Le Pen, like I did with Trump and like I will do with the Gert Wilders of this world will hope they win and change the way we are heading as we are on a collision course with oppression ? seriously!  I am sick to the back ****ing teeth of Social Justice warriors, terrorism, protesting and religion.

I don't use these terms, the only one I use is Yoon.

You're the one contradicting yourself in the original post.

Educate me, what is a "Yoon"?

p.s I have my :facepalm: at the ready.

Do you think May will tell Sturgon that she needs to wait untill the polls say the majority even want a second referendum?

I think May will refuse the referendum, what difference will it make to her if she is unpopular up here or the polls for Independence move a bit towards Yes. If there is not going to be a vote then why care what the polls say, unlike a General election there is no fixed term where we have to have another indyref.

I can see her being PM for a long time and never allowing an referendum and not caring two hoots about it. In ten/fifteen years who knows what the landscape of EU/UK/Scottish politics will be and she has the power to keep a referendum off the table until then.

Which may (no pun intended) lead to the SNP standing at Westminster on an independence ticket.  Win a majority of seats at that then declare independence.  

That was the tactic in the 1970's.

All May will do is stoke resentment and be seen to be actiing in a dismissive and undemocratic manner with regards Scotland.

Interesting comment piece here https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/13/the-guardian-view-on-another-scottish-vote-theresa-mays-homemade-crisis

As we sometimes berate refs, "they don't (seem to) know what they're doing"

Do you think May will tell Sturgon that she needs to wait untill the polls say the majority even want a second referendum?

Policy based on polls?  Ha!

There is a clear mandate based on the manifesto at the last Scottish Elections.  

May's hypocrisy on this is manifest.  Her party "played politics" with an EU referendum, no different to what the SNP have done.  IMO, of course.

AlphonseCapone

Which may (no pun intended) lead to the SNP standing at Westminster on an independence ticket. Win a majority of seats at that then declare independence.

That was the tactic in the 1970's.

All May will do is stoke resentment and be seen to be actiing in a dismissive and undemocratic manner with regards Scotland.

Interesting comment piece here https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/13/the-guardian-view-on-another-scottish-vote-theresa-mays-homemade-crisis

As we sometimes berate refs, "they don't (seem to) know what they're doing"

I'd also add that sort of attitude is where extreme actions can grow from. If you can democratically have a voice then most folk are content with that, take that away and history is littered with examples of what it leads to.

^^

That has also occurred to me:

On the surface it has a whiff of irresponsible political opportunism from the First Minister ?

In my opinion the responsible way forward is to see the impact of Brexit so we can make an informed decision on independence .

The potential for Scotland to leave the UK shortly after Brexit will undermine the UKs (including Scotland) position during Brexit negotiations and if we win independence on the back of Brexit and then want to join the EU again we've already weakened our position to negotiate our entry.

May has to be very careful how she responds to the indy ref question - as no doubt any delay would be flagged up as Westminster interference.

The more positive take on the timing from the First Minister would be that in the previous Indy Ref 'Yes' had to argue for a position with lots of unknowns, where 'Better together' had the easier job to argue for more or less the status quo. The Brexit issue leaves both sides to argue for a end state with lots of unknowns.

One option, that has only just occurred to me, open to May would be to give the First Minister the option of an earlier indy referendum and she delays invoking Article 50 until after the indy issue is settled or the indy ref waits until after Brexit - this would at least reduce if not remove the 'Westminster interference' argument.

^^

On the surface it has a whiff of irresponsible political opportunism from the First Minister ?

In my opinion the responsible way forward is to see the impact of Brexit so we can make an informed decision on independence .

The potential for Scotland to leave the UK shortly after Brexit will undermine the UKs (including Scotland) position during Brexit negotiations and if we win independence on the back of Brexit and then want to join the EU again we've already weakened our position to negotiate our entry.

May has to be very careful how she responds to the indy ref question - as no doubt any delay would be flagged up as Westminster interference.

The more positive take on the timing from the First Minister would be that in the previous Indy Ref 'Yes' had to argue for a position with lots of unknowns, where 'Better together' had the easier job to argue for more or less the status quo. The Brexit issue leaves both sides to argue for a end state with lots of unknowns.

One option, that has only just occurred to me, open to May would be to give the First Minister the option of an earlier indy referendum and she delays invoking Article 50 until after the indy issue is settled or the indy ref waits until after Brexit - this would at least reduce if not remove the 'Westminster interference' argument.

I took it from Sturgeon's speech yesterday that the timing of the referendum in her timescale was precisely so that we would have an idea of where Brexit negotiations were going, and therefore could make an informed descision from there?

Nookie Bear

I'm 28 mate and literally take no interest in politics. I can assure you my mother votes for me as I'm in the forces and often away and I gave her my vote. She voted yes for me as she voted yes herself.

Personally I could not give a shiny what you think I voted :lol: just thought I'd protect my integrity rather than be accused of lying to make friends on JKB :rofl:

How would you feel about representing the Scottish Army? Is this ever discussed?

indianajones

Still a yes.

The working class in England voting for a tory government should be enough for yes to win this time.

Wtf is going on down there?!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Jambo-Jimbo

I think May will refuse the referendum, what difference will it make to her if she is unpopular up here or the polls for Independence move a bit towards Yes. If there is not going to be a vote then why care what the polls say, unlike a General election there is no fixed term where we have to have another indyref.

I can see her being PM for a long time and never allowing an referendum and not caring two hoots about it. In ten/fifteen years who knows what the landscape of EU/UK/Scottish politics will be and she has the power to keep a referendum off the table until then.

I don't think it would be such a wise move for May to totally refuse another referendum, I think that would be an absolute gift to the SNP.

What I do think will happen, is that another referendum will be granted, but only after the UK has left the EU.

I can understand why Sturgeon wants indyref2 before we leave the EU, but look at it this way.

Why waste time negotiating with the EU for Scottish interests if Scotland were to become Independent before the UK leaves the EU.

In other words, they could spend 18 months negotiating a deal with the EU which includes Scottish interests only for that deal to be ripped up if Scotland votes for Independence, and then the UK would have to start again, however Scotland would be left with no deal whatsoever, no deal with the UK or with the EU.

Still a yes.

The working class in England voting for a tory government should be enough for yes to win this time.

Wtf is going on down there?!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Maybe the Tories are not as ghastly as people like you think and they are actually standing up for what people see as a huge concern right now?

I took it from Sturgeon's speech yesterday that the timing of the referendum in her timescale was precisely so that we would have an idea of where Brexit negotiations were going, and therefore could make an informed descision from there?

That may be what she has said - but I don't have much confidence we'll know enough of how a post-Brexit UK/Scotland will be placed to make an informed decision. I'm not fundamentally against the indy ref, or indeed independence - I just don't see the need to rush into anything.

Nookie Bear

^^

I disagree with your take on who had the "easier" job last time.

I think it's difficult to defend the status quo because it is very easy in any country to find faults, whereas the YES camp were able to sell the POTENTIAL for a better Scotland.

Nookie Bear

Maybe the Tories are not as ghastly as people like you think and they are actually standing up for what people see as a huge concern right now?

Probably more to do with the fact Labour want nothing to do with those ghastly working classes and would rather cosy up to Benedict Cumberbatch who can tell them how "enriched" they should feel.

Space Mackerel

Educate me, what is a "Yoon"?

p.s I have my :facepalm: at the ready.

Have a :facepalm: for that post.

Not sure if you're serious. :-/

I predict a much nastier campaign than last time with lies told by both sides and the winner doing so by a narrow margin with a huge amount of bitterness, resentment and in-denial non acceptance (a la Brexit except about 100 times worse) from the losing side afterwards whoever that is.  It will divide Scotland for sure.

For Independence to be a success it has to be by a decisive margin of say 60-40 and that point the vast majority of the no voters would accept being in the minority and get on board.  A 51-49 or 52-48 winning margin will simply divide the country like never before. If the economy floundered then a huge chunk of those able to will simply leave.

I love my country and will always identify as a Scot no matter where I live but I fear for the next few years ahead.  I just hope for a good outcome for Scotland regardless of who wins.  The economy is not currently performling well and that needs addressed. Oil is gone.

I'm working my way through this (often bombsite) of a thread and this post is where I am at.

I voted 'yes' last time and will probably do so again, but I fear the rancour that the next couple of years will bring.

Have a :facepalm: for that post.

Not sure if you're serious. :-/

Just googled it there.  Never in my life had I heard that term until this thread.  I assume some witty saying coined on ?Wings over Scotland?, Twitter etc? Unlike the followers of the Social Network Party I don?t live my life attached to a hashtag.

I don't think it would be such a wise move for May to totally refuse another referendum, I think that would be an absolute gift to the SNP.

What I do think will happen, is that another referendum will be granted, but only after the UK has left the EU.

I can understand why Sturgeon wants indyref2 before we leave the EU, but look at it this way.

Why waste time negotiating with the EU for Scottish interests if Scotland were to become Independent before the UK leaves the EU.

In other words, they could spend 18 months negotiating a deal with the EU which includes Scottish interests only for that deal to be ripped up if Scotland votes for Independence, and then the UK would have to start again, however Scotland would be left with no deal whatsoever, no deal with the UK or with the EU.

I think that because there is no mind for Westminster to negotiate on Scotland's behalf in the Brexit talks is why there is talk of a referendum.

Were that on the table, I don't think there would have been this announcement yesterday.

Nats don't like old people after all.

Aw Come on! 

Granny May cant even guarantee the pension triple lock any more. Who doest like old folks?

BritNats thats who.

No, they are...

Aw Come on! 

Granny May cant even guarantee the pension triple lock any more. Who doest like old folks?

BritNats thats who.

You mean she is sensible and doesn?t make any ridiculous promises from the SNP Magic money tree.  Have you any idea how much it will cost the Scottish government to buy out all these pensions? How the **** can they be guaranteed under an independent Scotland.  If you think it will be a seamless transition for pension you are a bona fide idiot.  If Scotland goes bankrupt (which is very likely) pensioners are ****ed beyond any form of help.  No wonder they are opposed to it, they have worked their arses off for that.  Then the Scottish Nuisance Party comes along with zero regard for anyone bar themselves.

No she doesn't. There's nothing stopping The FM standing up in Holyrood and declaring Scottish Independence if that's the stance the PM takes. Just have 1707 in reverse. They didn't ask the Scottish people permission to join any union.

Why do they have to buy out any pensions?

I would be very surprised if this were not the case.  They are UK State pensions, do you think the UK government will just continue paying Scottish pensioners in an independent Scotland? 

You mean she is sensible and doesn?t make any ridiculous promises from the SNP Magic money tree. Have you any idea how much it will cost the Scottish government to buy out all these pensions? How the **** can they be guaranteed under an independent Scotland. If you think it will be a seamless transition for pension you are a bona fide idiot. If Scotland goes bankrupt (which is very likely) pensioners are ****ed beyond any form of help. No wonder they are opposed to it, they have worked their arses off for that. Then the Scottish Nuisance Party comes along with zero regard for anyone bar themselves.

Pensions are guaranteed by WM in Law so give it a rest with your scaremongering pish.

It is paid out of the current Tax take, Scotland will not have to pay the UK government a penny. They may have to pay the pensioners a pension.

I don't think you have thought this through.

YOU KNOW WHAT INDEPENDENCE MEANS YEAH?

I would be very surprised if this were not the case. They are UK State pensions, do you think the UK government will just continue paying Scottish pensioners in an independent Scotland?

So pensioners need to remain in the UK to receive their pensions? So no going to Spain to retire in the sun for example, no?

So pensioners need to remain in the UK to receive their pensions? So no going to Spain to retire in the sun for example, no?

Is that what I said?

They are UK State pensions. Think about it now.........................................................

They will have to become Scottish pensions, how this works I don't know but it certainly is a huge factor that requires serious answers before a vote.

You mean she is sensible and doesn?t make any ridiculous promises from the SNP Magic money tree.  Have you any idea how much it will cost the Scottish government to buy out all these pensions? How the **** can they be guaranteed under an independent Scotland.  If you think it will be a seamless transition for pension you are a bona fide idiot.  If Scotland goes bankrupt (which is very likely) pensioners are ****ed beyond any form of help.  No wonder they are opposed to it, they have worked their arses off for that.  Then the Scottish Nuisance Party comes along with zero regard for anyone bar themselves.

You mean the pensions that have already been contributed to?

Future pensionsers would no doubt be funded by Scottish Government, and people like ourselves would have our contributions transferred over from Westminster to Holyrood and future contributions go to HOlyrood.

However my understanding of it may not be 100% accurate.

You mean the pensions that have already been contributed to?

Future pensionsers would no doubt be funded by Scottish Government, and people like ourselves would have our contributions transferred over from Westminster to Holyrood and future contributions go to HOlyrood.

However my understanding of it may not be 100% accurate.

OK, who works out accruals? Do you know the answer? I don't. does the SNP?

It is a logistical ****ing nightmare.  Everything about everything, not just pensions.  I know the Natcretins will try and Cherry pick to the max but we are going to be inheriting serious financial burdens here and a massive deficit (not too large to be granted EU membership). 10% of national debt ffs.  That is 150 billion at least.  Dwindling oil demand and prices plummeting.  It's a'right likes we pure have wind and shortbread though.

OK, who works out accruals? Do you know the answer? I don't. does the SNP?

I would imagine that the new Scottish Govt would set it's state pension.

Those in receipt of pension already are surely "fully accrued"?

I'm sure it wouldn't take an actuary much time to work out.

Is that what I said?

They are UK State pensions. Think about it now.........................................................

They will have to become Scottish pensions, how this works I don't know but it certainly is a huge factor that requires serious answers before a vote.

They will be paid the same way as expats are paid. If you pay into a scheme for 50 years you're entitled to it or it's fraud. It's guaranteed, fact. Further post Indy pension schemes will be set up in due course.

Not every thing to come to Scotland is debt. We're due assets too.

Does an Independent Scotland still need to buy the pensions out?

I am not avoiding your question with a question BTW, I don't know the answer, I don't even understand the question.

Truth is I don't know BD, I don't know.  I think we can agree it is quite an important thing to know though yeah?

Archived