More Tory lies

aussieh

AuldReekie444
Just now, jake said:

100%

i voted remain, cause i did not want the scottish nationalist  stuff any more. 

but i would have probably voted remain anyway,

id probably still vote remain, but the eu leadrship is really getting on my tits.

and i am sick to the back teeth of seeing marches by losers. (yes voters and remain voters) i mean, we voted. deal with it. 

• Replies 27.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Mighty Thor

• Victorian

• JudyJudyJudy

• Cade

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, AuldReekie444 said:

i voted remain, cause i did not want the scottish nationalist  stuff any more. 

but i would have probably voted remain anyway,

id probably still vote remain, but the eu leadrship is really getting on my tits.

and i am sick to the back teeth of seeing marches by losers. (yes voters and remain voters) i mean, we voted. deal with it. 

I've seen some posts recently from so called social democrats that advocate business running our country.

And then talk about fascism.

For all it's faults democracy has allowed the people of the UK to shake the establishment with out bloodshed.

AuldReekie444
1 minute ago, jake said:

I've seen some posts recently from so called social democrats that advocate business running our country.

For all it's faults democracy has allowed the people of the UK to shake the establishment with out bloodshed.

that is what confused me about you quoting The Adam Smith Institute. 

Just now, AuldReekie444 said:

that is what confused me about you quoting The Adam Smith Institute. 

Mate.

I confuse myself.

But I'm sure on some things.

I think so anyway

AuldReekie444
4 minutes ago, jake said:

Mate.

I confuse myself.

But I'm sure on some things.

I think so anyway

me too jake, so that is fair enough

Thunderstruck
37 minutes ago, jake said:

A review of recent books on modern democracy and where it is going:-

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2018/06/when-trendy-ideas-capture-the-ruling-elite-democracy-can-go-hang/

8 hours ago, Thunderstruck said:

You could start with the SNP’s own “Growth Commission” which indicates an austere future of indeterminate length that may be as long as a generation. If anything was going to find a rose-tinted future, it would be a commission financed by Murrell Corp and crammed with their appointees. 

Salmond couldn't sell it when oil was still a “bonus”, do you really think people are daft enough to vote for an uncertain and poorer future. 

I have pointed out several times that 15% of Scotland’s industrial output is reliant on the Naval part of the U.K. MoD. Independence WILL see that go south there is no other outcome that will be acceptable to the rUK ekectorate. That is a significant number of jobs to lose, tax to forego and additional benefit payments to find.  Not one pro-Indy poster has a scooby how that would be addressed if the usual abusive responses are an indication. 

Would you back Independence if the young, the old, the infirm and the poor were to be at the wrong end of such an outcome. I am trying, it seems in vain, to find one pro-Indy poster who would say that would too high a price to pay 

So I’m starting to see that this fabled 15% of Scotlands GDP is the naval part of the MOD is in reality, tory bullshit. It includes oil, gas, marine, aerospace, transport and defence jobs. 

Below is taken from Scottish Enterprise:

ENGINEERING INCLUDING AEROSPACE, DEFENCE AND MARINE There are approximately 17,000 engineering companies in Scotland including those in the Aerospace, Defence and Marine sector, employing 127,000 people in total.   The contribution to the Scottish economy is considerable with GVA of £10bn and exports of around £6bn.Business expense on R&D is considerable at around £150m pa. Key application markets include oil and gas, transport, aerospace, defence and marine.    Examples of leading companies in the sector include Engineering companies such as the Weir Group, SPX Clyde Union and Doosan Babcock and also major players in automotive and rail including Alexander Dennis, Allied Vehicles and Progress Rail.   To refocus attention on achieving real term growth of the sector over the next five years, the Aerospace, Defence, Marine and Security Industrial Strategy for Scotland 2016 has been developed by the Scottish Aerospace, Defence, Marine and Security Industry Leadership Group (ADMS-ILG).   The Scottish AD&M sector includes a number of global industry companies, including defence companies such as Leonardo MW, Thales, Raytheon and BAE Systems and aerospace manufacturing and MRO (maintenance, repair and overhaul) companies such as Rolls-Royce, Spirit AeroSystems, GE Aviation, UTC, Woodward, Teledyne and Vector Aerospace.  In addition, there is a growing range of world leading niche players in the Space industry, such as Clyde Space, Spire and Star-Dundee.    Scotland’s Aerospace, Defence, Marine and Security (ADMS) companies operate in a globalised industry open to intense competition.   A world-renowned centre of engineering expertise and technical capability has attracted leading companies to locate operations in Scotland in order to tap into the skills and expertise that are in abundance here.   As these businesses and their suppliers continue to grow and develop, the ADMS sector makes a strong contribution to the Scottish economy.   Most recent figures (Report commissioned for Scottish Enterprise and the ADMS-ILG [2013]) show that the ADMS industry in Scotland consists of 825 Companies, employing 38,408 people, generating £5.563 billion sales, and contributing £1.756 billion GVA to the economy, of which the Marine sector consists of 424 companies, employing 22,450 people, generating £2.817 billion sales, and contributing £889m GVA annually to the economy.   These activities are estimated to have generated over £540 million in tax revenue, through a combination of corporation tax, employee income and NICs, and other indirect taxes such as VAT. The sector benefits from the presence locally of the Advanced Forming Research Centre which is part of the UK High Value Manufacturing Catapult and additionally with links to the various Innovation Centres across the country.   Ambitious plans have been announced to establish a National Manufacturing Institute for Scotland and the recently announced Lightweight Manufacturing Centre is seen as a first step towards realising this ambition.   The institute is expected to act as a catalyst for the development of an Advanced Manufacturing Innovation District in the area, which is aims to attract ambitious companies both locally and internationally. The development of the sector is championed through the Industry Leadership group and trade bodies such as Scottish Engineering.

I’m calling it. The 15% of Scotlands economy is down to Naval contracts is bullshit.

See the department formerly known as “The Scottish Office” has started a campaign about exporting. In particular they are using a small Gin company. 

Well whats wrong with that I hear you ask!

Well, its a Gin company based in Macclesfield that they are using as an example.

Fair enough except Macclesfield is nowhere near Scotland and in any case. A huge percentage of the worlds Gin is made in Scotland (I hear 70-80% but I am willing to be proved wrong on that statistic) so why didnt they just use a Scottish producer?

(Absolutely nothing against the Macclesfield Gin producer. They probably make a lovely product). 

https://mobile.twitter.com/UKGovScotland/status/1011248916195627008/video/1

The Mighty Thor

Meanwhile, despite two pages of a low rent lord of the flies, the very living embodiment of lying toryism slips under the radar. Step forward Boris 'I'll lie in front of the bulldozers' Johnson, who conveniently arranges a meeting in Afghanistan on the day of the Heathrow  vote with a guy who was in the UK 3 weeks ago. 

The only thing Boris will lie in front of is the electorate.

Thunderstruck
25 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

So I’m starting to see that this fabled 15% of Scotlands GDP is the naval part of the MOD is in reality, tory bullshit. It includes oil, gas, marine, aerospace, transport and defence jobs. 

Below is taken from Scottish Enterprise:

ENGINEERING INCLUDING AEROSPACE, DEFENCE AND MARINE There are approximately 17,000 engineering companies in Scotland including those in the Aerospace, Defence and Marine sector, employing 127,000 people in total.   The contribution to the Scottish economy is considerable with GVA of £10bn and exports of around £6bn.Business expense on R&D is considerable at around £150m pa. Key application markets include oil and gas, transport, aerospace, defence and marine.    Examples of leading companies in the sector include Engineering companies such as the Weir Group, SPX Clyde Union and Doosan Babcock and also major players in automotive and rail including Alexander Dennis, Allied Vehicles and Progress Rail.   To refocus attention on achieving real term growth of the sector over the next five years, the Aerospace, Defence, Marine and Security Industrial Strategy for Scotland 2016 has been developed by the Scottish Aerospace, Defence, Marine and Security Industry Leadership Group (ADMS-ILG).   The Scottish AD&M sector includes a number of global industry companies, including defence companies such as Leonardo MW, Thales, Raytheon and BAE Systems and aerospace manufacturing and MRO (maintenance, repair and overhaul) companies such as Rolls-Royce, Spirit AeroSystems, GE Aviation, UTC, Woodward, Teledyne and Vector Aerospace.  In addition, there is a growing range of world leading niche players in the Space industry, such as Clyde Space, Spire and Star-Dundee.    Scotland’s Aerospace, Defence, Marine and Security (ADMS) companies operate in a globalised industry open to intense competition.   A world-renowned centre of engineering expertise and technical capability has attracted leading companies to locate operations in Scotland in order to tap into the skills and expertise that are in abundance here.   As these businesses and their suppliers continue to grow and develop, the ADMS sector makes a strong contribution to the Scottish economy.   Most recent figures (Report commissioned for Scottish Enterprise and the ADMS-ILG [2013]) show that the ADMS industry in Scotland consists of 825 Companies, employing 38,408 people, generating £5.563 billion sales, and contributing £1.756 billion GVA to the economy, of which the Marine sector consists of 424 companies, employing 22,450 people, generating £2.817 billion sales, and contributing £889m GVA annually to the economy.   These activities are estimated to have generated over £540 million in tax revenue, through a combination of corporation tax, employee income and NICs, and other indirect taxes such as VAT. The sector benefits from the presence locally of the Advanced Forming Research Centre which is part of the UK High Value Manufacturing Catapult and additionally with links to the various Innovation Centres across the country.   Ambitious plans have been announced to establish a National Manufacturing Institute for Scotland and the recently announced Lightweight Manufacturing Centre is seen as a first step towards realising this ambition.   The institute is expected to act as a catalyst for the development of an Advanced Manufacturing Innovation District in the area, which is aims to attract ambitious companies both locally and internationally. The development of the sector is championed through the Industry Leadership group and trade bodies such as Scottish Engineering.

I’m calling it. The 15% of Scotlands economy is down to Naval contracts is bullshit.

Well done, you are now starting to realise that there would be a significant gap to fill.

Once you come to appreciate that the above represents but a part of the total, you can then turn your attention to having a think about what would fill that gap. 

Since you have mentioned them, Leonardo, Raytheon, Thales, BAe (beyond shipbuilding) - how much of their business is reliant on MoD contracts (all Services)? What do you think might happen if you put Scotland outside that market?

I have focussed, thus far, or the Maritime sector but you might also want to consider aerospace sector. For example, just look at Lossiemouth and try and find out what that brings to the party.

Looking more widely as your quote mentions Rolls Royce with its large factory at Inchinnan - how do you see it faring if cut off from the rest of the U.K. where the engines it contributed to are manufactured. 

doctor jambo
39 minutes ago, Geoff the Mince said:

I wonder how many sticking the boot into Pans are Tories ?

I'm not even sure it matters.

Not all the Tories do is bad

The country would be a better place if people could look at policies BEYOND the ribbon, as opposed to slavishly held views about any party.

I have, at points, voted Tory, SNP and Labour- people should be politically open- otherwise what is the point?

52 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

Well done, you are now starting to realise that there would be a significant gap to fill.

Once you come to appreciate that the above represents but a part of the total, you can then turn your attention to having a think about what would fill that gap. 

Since you have mentioned them, Leonardo, Raytheon, Thales, BAe (beyond shipbuilding) - how much of their business is reliant on MoD contracts (all Services)? What do you think might happen if you put Scotland outside that market?

I have focussed, thus far, or the Maritime sector but you might also want to consider aerospace sector. For example, just look at Lossiemouth and try and find out what that brings to the party.

Looking more widely as your quote mentions Rolls Royce with its large factory at Inchinnan - how do you see it faring if cut off from the rest of the U.K. where the engines it contributed to are manufactured. 

Complete side step. 

The fact is your 15% is utter drivel. The vast majority of the above sectors would remain intact and would perhaps even grow. 

Were you this upset when Maggie closed the pits with the hundreds of thousands of direct and indirect jobs that went? Or Linwood and Ravenscraig? Or when the  yanks left Holy Loch?

15% is the headline here and I calling you out on it. 

Its BS scare stories and now it should be put out to grass. Along with your London based party. 

jack D and coke
10 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

I'm not even sure it matters.

Not all the Tories do is bad

The country would be a better place if people could look at policies BEYOND the ribbon, as opposed to slavishly held views about any party.

I have, at points, voted Tory, SNP and Labour- people should be politically open- otherwise what is the point?

I agree. I’ve voted them all at different points too. 

I’m not sure I could go back to voting them though, I feel like I’ve completely seen through the WM based parties. 

Theyre nothing more than branch offices who’d get reigned in if they got too concerned with Scotland. 

Thunderstruck
27 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Complete side step. 

The fact is your 15% is utter drivel. The vast majority of the above sectors would remain intact and would perhaps even grow. 

Were you this upset when Maggie closed the pits with the hundreds of thousands of direct and indirect jobs that went? Or Linwood and Ravenscraig? Or when the  yanks left Holy Loch?

15% is the headline here and I calling you out on it. 

Its BS scare stories and now it should be put out to grass. Along with your London based party. 

That is not a side step. You have quoted something that you clearly do not understand. I have countered to explain why. 

I suggested that that you look around ask ask what would replace that input. You can’t. 

Incidentally -

Mines: who closed more, Thatcher or her predecessors? Were Scargill and McGahey not a large part of that fatal dance?

Linwood: The Tories offered to pay for the entire running costs of the plant. PSA refused that help and were able to walk away with no problem thanks to a poor agreement set up in 1978. 

Ravenscraig was still open open when Thatcher left office - largely thanks to her insistence that it remain open. 

Finally, the Holy Loch - can I take it you are unaware of the depressing effect that the departure of the USN had on Dunoon and Cowal. You should look into that, it might give you a foretaste if things to come for other parts of Scotland.  

Sir Vladimir of Romanov
1 hour ago, Geoff the Mince said:

I wonder how many sticking the boot into Pans are Tories ?

You don't have to be a tory to laugh at his 1st year level political insights. 

He is a mess, there is clearly a void in his life. 

14 minutes ago, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

You don't have to be a tory to laugh at his 1st year level political insights. 

He is a mess, there is clearly a void in his life. 

Clearly a void? OK. If you say so. Funny how you are equally on this forum as much if not more. 

Glass houses & that!

29 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

That is not a side step. You have quoted something that you clearly do not understand. I have countered to explain why. 

I suggested that that you look around ask ask what would replace that input. You can’t. 

Incidentally -

Mines: who closed more, Thatcher or her predecessors? Were Scargill and McGahey not a large part of that fatal dance?

Linwood: The Tories offered to pay for the entire running costs of the plant. PSA refused that help and were able to walk away with no problem thanks to a poor agreement set up in 1978. 

Ravenscraig was still open open when Thatcher left office - largely thanks to her insistence that it remain open. 

Finally, the Holy Loch - can I take it you are unaware of the depressing effect that the departure of the USN had on Dunoon and Cowal. You should look into that, it might give you a foretaste if things to come for other parts of Scotland.  

Aye 15% though eh. Good son. 

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Lets just pay the chinese & the french billions for more nuclear, vote in a third runway at Heathrow & then reject unlimited clean energy. Only the tories are helping kill the environment. 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jun/25/government-rejects-plan-for-tidal-lagoon-in-swansea

Is it maybe because it’s Wales and Scotland with the tidal power that investment is being binned? Can’t put money into something that might end up being taken from their power maybe? 

Also the third runway at Heathrow will negatively impact other and particularly Scottish airports traffic over the next 20 years. The Tories own Zac somebody or other confirmed a report that looked into the likely effects. 

33 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Is it maybe because it’s Wales and Scotland with the tidal power that investment is being binned? Can’t put money into something that might end up being taken from their power maybe? 

Also the third runway at Heathrow will negatively impact other and particularly Scottish airports traffic over the next 20 years. The Tories own Zac somebody or other confirmed a report that looked into the likely effects. 

Aye sounds about right. 

Sir Vladimir of Romanov
2 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

492676E2-AA1E-42CD-A67C-D610591B639F.jpeg

A gif? That's your proof. Can you provide a link to him saying this. 

jack D and coke
8 minutes ago, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

A gif? That's your proof. Can you provide a link to him saying this. 

He did say it. Can’t find the exact link where I seen it a few years ago but some other statements are in here as well from other MP’s. 

http://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-press-and-journal-moray/20140527/282016145370942

Sir Vladimir of Romanov
Just now, jack D and coke said:

He did say it. Can’t find the exact link where I seen it a few years ago but some other statements are in here as well from other MP’s. 

http://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-press-and-journal-moray/20140527/282016145370942

Thanks for the link. Are you able to provide more context? 

jack D and coke
12 minutes ago, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

Thanks for the link. Are you able to provide more context? 

I’ll try find it aye. 

Subsidy Junkie! That would make the rest of the UK  Subsidy Junkies to “Scottish Oil” if such a thing existed. 

Thunderstruck
20 minutes ago, Victorian said:

"I don't run the railways"

Secretary of State for Transport, Chris Grayling.

Did you think he patrolled platforms in a morning coat and top hat with the voice of Ringo Starr providing commentary?

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/office-of-rail-regulation

He is no more responsible for “running” the railways than, thank goodness, Hapless Humza is for “running” CalMac. They can have strategic oversight but, in both instances, I am more than content that properly trained and qualified personnel actually “run” the services. 

doctor jambo
25 minutes ago, Victorian said:

"I don't run the railways"

Secretary of State for Transport, Chris Grayling.

All that proves is that he is a twit.

The tories take the flack at the moment because they are in power

If and when the next party takes control, they too will find not all is easy .

Some Tory policy is good, some bad and some awful

Same as every other party.

SNP for instance refusing to back the heathrow expansion is pretty pathetic- they simply cannot bring themselves to back anything Tory incase it fails t owork.

14 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

Did you think he patrolled platforms in a morning coat and top hat with the voice of Ringo Starr providing commentary?

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/office-of-rail-regulation

He is no more responsible for “running” the railways than, thank goodness, Hapless Humza is for “running” CalMac. They can have strategic oversight but, in both instances, I am more than content that properly trained and qualified personnel actually “run” the services. 

Aye obviously.    Bad attempt at deflection.     The point is that he has responsibility for the running of the railways.     He can't just glibly abdicate it.         It's just another indication of the 'don't give a ****' attitude of this government to try to suggest some kind of arm's length,   **** all I can do about it situation.     

jack D and coke
8 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

SNP for instance refusing to back the heathrow expansion is pretty pathetic- they simply cannot bring themselves to back anything Tory incase it fails t owork.

Even when a report says it’s will negatively affect other airports and particularly Scottish ones over the next 20 years?

22 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

They did a “Labour” and abstained. 

Thunderstruck
6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Aye obviously.    Bad attempt at deflection.     The point is that he has responsibility for the running of the railways.     He can't just glibly abdicate it.         It's just another indication of the 'don't give a ****' attitude of this government to try to suggest some kind of arm's length,   **** all I can do about it situation.     

If it was that obvious, why make the Rookie mistake of inferring that he had some sort of control over day-to-day matters. 

It is is the job of government and ministers to set strategy,  pass law, agree funding and receive reports from the oversight bodies, react and continue the cycle. The current fiasco stems from an over-ambitious change by Network Rail and poor communication with the Train Operating Companies. If nobody saw that coming within the industry then how can the Minister be held responsible for the cause. Yes, he now has to ensure that the right people are rectifying the problem but that will take time to do safely

Contrast that with the Scottish Transport Minister who has been taken to task for failing to ensure proper planning for and funding of lifeline ferry services.  The new CalMac contract (let by the Scottish Government) is more about cutting costs than service provision - that is his problem. 

Grayling certainly has problems elsewhere but it is far from fair to suggest that he had a hand in setting timetabling. 

doctor jambo
59 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Even when a report says it’s will negatively affect other airports and particularly Scottish ones over the next 20 years?

The Scottish airports are in favour

listening to it this morning on the radio, and yesterday

as are the trades unions

doctor jambo
2 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Apart from Boris and the usual suspects there’s a majority of support around in favour of Heathrow expansion.

https://www.insider.co.uk/news/heathrow-expansion-business-reaction-scotland-12793882

Indeed.....

full backing from Unions, airports and large business backing in Scotland , but the SNP refuse to back it because they cannot get 100% guarantee of the benefits.

cannot think that ANY major project will EVER 100% guarantee benefits.

jack D and coke
47 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

The Scottish airports are in favour

listening to it this morning on the radio, and yesterday

as are the trades unions

Fair enough then. 

I saw an English Tory MP Zac somebody bringing it up in the commons saying it was the opposite. 

doctor jambo
36 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

Indeed- looking after his constituents vs looking after his party

I don't like the guy, but the SNP should have done likewise and voted in favour

Don't understand how politicians can lack conviction and abstain....... surely they can decide either yay or nay?

2 hours ago, Thunderstruck said:

If it was that obvious, why make the Rookie mistake of inferring that he had some sort of control over day-to-day matters. 

It is is the job of government and ministers to set strategy,  pass law, agree funding and receive reports from the oversight bodies, react and continue the cycle. The current fiasco stems from an over-ambitious change by Network Rail and poor communication with the Train Operating Companies. If nobody saw that coming within the industry then how can the Minister be held responsible for the cause. Yes, he now has to ensure that the right people are rectifying the problem but that will take time to do safely

Contrast that with the Scottish Transport Minister who has been taken to task for failing to ensure proper planning for and funding of lifeline ferry services.  The new CalMac contract (let by the Scottish Government) is more about cutting costs than service provision - that is his problem. 

Grayling certainly has problems elsewhere but it is far from fair to suggest that he had a hand in setting timetabling. 

I made no such mistake or inference.     

jack D and coke

I see the third runway at Heathrow without overrun or overspend will be just short of half of what Scotland’s annual pocket money from WM is. 

A whole “subsidised” country vs some tarmac. 

Incredible. 

27 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I see the third runway at Heathrow without overrun or overspend will be just short of half of what Scotland’s annual pocket money from WM is. 

Incredible. 

We will no doubt be forced to pay our 10% or so of it as well (or our ‘share’ of the debt interest). 

Thunderstruck
35 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Incredible. 

6 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

We will no doubt be forced to pay our 10% or so of it as well (or our ‘share’ of the debt interest). 

Just out of interest, how would this expansion to Heathrow be funded?