More Tory lies

aussieh

WorldChampions1902
2 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

"Laurence Boone"???

Ach, it's 2022. Live & let live, I say. I don't understand it but I won't judge.

Probably best. Don’t be so hard on yourself regarding your inability to “understand”. Start with the low-hanging fruit around the realities of sharply rising petrol prices and then progress from there.

• Replies 27.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Mighty Thor

• Victorian

• JudyJudyJudy

• Cade

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lone Striker
32 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Distribution of wealth is appalling. I’m watching some pish on Channel 4 now which is that George Clarke guy encouraging people to buy property in parts of the country they’ve never been to in order to flip it and make a quick profit, bumping prices up for the purposes of a TV competition. A programme like that in the middle of a housing crisis and Channel 4 don’t see a problem with it. Staggering 

Aye, I  wonder if there's any other county in Europe that worships their  housing market as much as Britain does - or at least thats the way the British media portray it.    It's appalling and immoral, imo.

"There was encouraging news on the economy today, when the ONS published its quarterly house price index which showed a 10% increase in the last 3 months."

Can someone explain why  constantly rising house prices  is good news for the British economy or for the majority of ordinary people ?

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Aye, I  wonder if there's any other county in Europe that worships their  housing market as much as Britain does - or at least thats the way the British media portray it.    It's appalling and immoral, imo.

"There was encouraging news on the economy today, when the ONS published its quarterly house price index which showed a 10% increase in the last 3 months."

Can someone explain why  constantly rising house prices  is good news for the British economy or for the majority of ordinary people ?

It’s not. It’s disastrous. 

I wonder how my kid will ever get on the ladder tbh. It doesn’t look possible in all honestly. It’s renting from some shark. 

Lone Striker
22 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

"Laurence Boone"???

Ach, it's 2022. Live & let live, I say. I don't understand it but I won't judge.

Laurence is a French female first name.    The details of her analysis though - way above my head. 🙄

Lone Striker
2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s not. It’s disastrous. 

I wonder how my kid will ever get on the ladder tbh. It doesn’t look possible in all honestly. It’s renting from some shark. 

You're right to be worried.  Rents will just keep going up too.     I detest the expression "housing ladder" too - it sounds elitist, and is basically a self-fulfilling recipe for house prices to keep increasing. 

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Lone Striker said:

You're right to be worried.  Rents will just keep going up too.     I detest the expression "housing ladder" too - it sounds elitist, and is basically a self-fulfilling recipe for house prices to keep increasing. 

It’s going to have to come from me. When my old man goes I’m going to be alright but he didn’t give to me because he thought I should earn my own. He could’ve made things easy for me but I appreciate he made me do it myself. His dad was the same. 
I worked and bought houses off my own back but I genuinely don’t think it’s within reach for a lot of young ones now. The prices are just nuts. 

Shooter McGavin
8 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Yep, housing market is a shambles.

Any young adults looking to buy a property will need to resign themselves to a life of no going out, no holidays, no occasional takeaways, no eating out and constantly being worried about utility bills or garage bills that could wipe their savings and bring their lives down like a deck of cards.

You work 5 days a week just so you can go home to sit in your house and stay in at the weekend, until you need to go back out to work again on the Monday.

And theres people out there, and on here, who’ll still defend the billionaires who dictate that quality of life upon us.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Any young adults looking to buy a property will need to resign themselves to a life of no going out, no holidays, no occasional takeaways, no eating out and constantly being worried about utility bills or garage bills that could wipe their savings and bring their lives down like a deck of cards.

You work 5 days a week just so you can go home to sit in your house and stay in at the weekend, until you need to go back out to work again on the Monday.

And theres people out there, and on here, who’ll still defend the billionaires who dictate that quality of life upon us.

There’s ones on here think it’s funny as well.

jack D and coke
13 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Most of the political posts are all about winding each other up let’s be honest :lol: 

Shooter McGavin
6 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Aye they’re a strange bunch.

Usually quite reluctant to expand or explain their ill-thought-out points, which leads me to believe they’re just looking to get a quick bit of attention, and although I pity that, it’s whatever floats their boat I suppose.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Most of the political posts are all about winding each other up let’s be honest :lol: 

Never.:10900:

jack D and coke
5 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Aye they’re a strange bunch.

Usually quite reluctant to expand or explain their ill-thought-out points, which leads me to believe they’re just looking to get a quick bit of attention, and although I pity that, it’s whatever floats their boat I suppose.

Ill admit to sometimes coming on to get some bites. Throw a wee grenade in and chuckle away to myself. 
It’s against the rules I know but it’s clear as day that some posters do little else. 

Edited by jack D and coke

Lone Striker
6 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Its a very grim outlook.   Although I'm retired now and no longer depending on a job/salary/promotion,  the current situation makes me angry (and sometimes even depressed)  at how we've been hoodwinked by a bunch of lying charlatans masquerading as  "levelling up", "taking back control", "delivering for the people" etc.  - all just a load of meaningless soundbites to hide behind, led by the most unsuitable person ever to hold the office of PM.

JudyJudyJudy
11 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Distribution of wealth is appalling. I’m watching some pish on Channel 4 now which is that George Clarke guy encouraging people to buy property in parts of the country they’ve never been to in order to flip it and make a quick profit, bumping prices up for the purposes of a TV competition. A programme like that in the middle of a housing crisis and Channel 4 don’t see a problem with it. Staggering 

Yea these programmes are obscene I feel . I’m not speaking out of envy it jealousy . I just find them very insensitive to the current plight of the record breaking amount of homeless and those trying to get mortgages . It’s disgusting . Many of those home owners only got lucky due maybe their parents or them buying their council house for a bare minimum then selling it for an absolute fortune . Can’t stand that boot Kirsty whatever her name is and her co presenter either . 

10 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

It all started due to Thatcher and her idealising of having one’s own house . 

What's this £2 a litre chat about? Service stations or something? They hit £2 earlier in the year.

The fuel station(s) I use is still a fair distance off that.

54 minutes ago, Taffin said:

What's this £2 a litre chat about? Service stations or something? They hit £2 earlier in the year.

The fuel station(s) I use is still a fair distance off that.

Political, scaremongering or a combination of both, take your pick.  

The Mighty Thor
6 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Political, scaremongering or a combination of both, take your pick.  

Aye that's what it is. Scaremongering.

:tlj:

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

It all started due to Thatcher and her idealising of having one’s own house . 

Think it was more about getting council estates to vote for her. She wasn’t popular in those communities.

A disastrous policy for the young ones of today for sure. 

1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Aye that's what it is. Scaremongering.

:tlj:

Come on Thor has the price suddenly jumped up to £2 ? It’s been that price before at various places but is it that price in Edinburgh? 

New plan: let first time buyers claim Housing Benefit and use it to save up for a mortgage deposit, even if they have savings above the current limit for getting that benefit.

Yet again, simply using taxpayers money to keep the housing bubble inflated, instead of actually bringing housing prices down to affordable levels.

:rofl:

Japan Jambo
3 minutes ago, Cade said:

New plan: let first time buyers claim Housing Benefit and use it to save up for a mortgage deposit, even if they have savings above the current limit for getting that benefit.

Yet again, simply using taxpayers money to keep the housing bubble inflated, instead of actually bringing housing prices down to affordable levels.

:rofl:

suspect in truth this is yet another non policy designed to deflect. Reading between the lines it's expected to amount to the square root of bugger all in terms of it's impact.

Rising interest rates should help deflate the housing bubble. One other thing to watch for is that given the tax changes and additional burdens placed on private landlords there is a huge supply issue in the rental space and rents are climbing steeply, I do wonder at what point these properties come back to the market. 

jack D and coke

I’d like to see some policy hammering people who have loads of houses. There’s some people who have over 1000 houses in Edinburgh alone. 
That sort of thing should never be allowed. 
The amount of money these private landlords get from local govt for housing costs is ridiculous. No wonder councils are peppered mint. 

Edited by jack D and coke

Shooter McGavin
7 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I’d like to see some policy hammering people who have loads of houses. Force There’s some people who have over 1000 houses in Edinburgh alone. 
The amount of money these private landlords get from local govt for housing costs is ridiculous. No wonder councils are peppered mint. 

Private landlords should be long gone, they’re a major problem.

il Duce McTarkin
12 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I’d like to see some policy hammering people who have loads of houses. Force There’s some people who have over 1000 houses in Edinburgh alone. 

2 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

There are loads of folk who have a flat or two which are their retirement/insurance plan, look after their tenants (a good tenant is worth their weight in gold to a small time landlord), charge below the market rental rate, and never raise the rent on a sitting tenant.

I've often struggled with the morality of owning more than one property, but know that even if I were to sell up to a first-time buyer, the property would end up in the hands of an investment company or big time landlord within a year or two. I've watched it happen to 80% of the flats in my old stair.

57 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Come on Thor has the price suddenly jumped up to £2 ? It’s been that price before at various places but is it that price in Edinburgh? 

I genuinely don't know. It's not something I go looking for. The diesel I got the other day was 181p a litre at my local Tesco in the Midlands. 

If folk are paying 2 quid a litre in places in Scotland then it's outrageous.

22 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

This. 

jack D and coke
15 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

There are loads of folk who have a flat or two which are their retirement/insurance plan, look after their tenants (a good tenant is worth their weight in gold to a small time landlord), charge below the market rental rate, and never raise the rent on a sitting tenant.

I've often struggled with the morality of owning more than one property, but know that even if I were to sell up to a first-time buyer, the property would end up in the hands of an investment company or big time landlord within a year or two. I've watched it happen to 80% of the flats in my old stair.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not against things like that. A working man planning for his retirement is all good but there’s people who have dozens and sometimes hundreds of homes draining the public purse and making fortunes. That is morally wrong imo. 
My daughter and her pals rented from a property owner in Edinburgh until covid hit and the flat was a disgrace. Things broken, windows that hadn’t been renovated or painted in about 20 years, floors bust etc and £1600 a month too. ****ing scandalous. 

31 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Not long gone, but tightly regulated.

Right now it's the wild west and there's nothing stopping them from being slum landlords other than their own decent nature.

Shooter McGavin
6 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Don’t get me wrong I’m not against things like that. A working man planning for his retirement is all good but there’s people who have dozens and sometimes hundreds of homes draining the public purse and making fortunes. That is morally wrong imo. 
My daughter and her pals rented from a property owner in Edinburgh until covid hit and the flat was a disgrace. Things broken, windows that hadn’t been renovated or painted in about 20 years, floors bust etc and £1600 a month too. ****ing scandalous. 

It comes down to the fact that many landlords, like the one you’ve mentioned, simply can’t afford to operate the amount of properties they own.

It’s pure greed.

il Duce McTarkin
7 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I agree completely. The nick of some rental properties should see the landlords in jail, and the rent they charge is ridiculous.

JudyJudyJudy
58 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I’d like to see some policy hammering people who have loads of houses. There’s some people who have over 1000 houses in Edinburgh alone. 

Yea there needs to be a rent cap . The housing benefit bill is astronomical, due to greedy landlords . 

Japan Jambo
5 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yea there needs to be a rent cap . The housing benefit bill is astronomical, due to greedy landlords . 

Careful, understand the sentiment but there are knock on implications;

https://reason.org/commentary/rent-control-laws-nearly-destroyed-parts-of-new-york-city-they-could-do-the-same-to-california/#:~:text=Many New York neighborhoods became,Stuyvesant and Harlem to rubble.

https://www.landlordvision.co.uk/blog/london-rent-controls/

Dusk_Till_Dawn
34 minutes ago, Cade said:

Not long gone, but tightly regulated.

Right now it's the wild west and there's nothing stopping them from being slum landlords other than their own decent nature.

There should be a limit on the number of properties you can own and the more you own, the more punitive the tax on them should be. But no government will ever do that because it will lose them votes. The current system is so bad that I can’t believe the country tolerates it but it’s not helped by shite like Location Location Location fostering the idea that you have to bid for a house as soon as you see it and pay over the asking price to make sure you get it. Then again, most property programmes are vanity projects for the people who present them.

il Duce McTarkin
1 minute ago, Japan Jambo said:

Surely the answer here is to build much more publicly owned housing to satiate the demand?

You would think.

4 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Surely the answer here is to build much more publicly owned housing to satiate the demand?

Sating demand lowers the prices.

The UK (and most other western nations) bases its economy on a mountain of debt.

In the UK, that means mortgages.

The housing bubble is kept inflated by taxpayers money so that they can pretend the economy is doing grand.

If we suddenly built millions of houses, then the theory of supply/demand would mean that house prices would fall.

And they'll not let that happen.

They want to dribble new stock onto the market slowly to keep the prices high.

joondalupjambo
39 minutes ago, Cade said:

Sating demand lowers the prices.

The UK (and most other western nations) bases its economy on a mountain of debt.

In the UK, that means mortgages.

The housing bubble is kept inflated by taxpayers money so that they can pretend the economy is doing grand.

If we suddenly built millions of houses, then the theory of supply/demand would mean that house prices would fall.

And they'll not let that happen.

They want to dribble new stock onto the market slowly to keep the prices high.

Also a control issue.

The more folk that have mortgages, and especially mid to high ones the less folk will do to upset the apple cart.

They may moan but they will be more compliant in society,

The Mighty Thor
3 hours ago, Dazo said:

It's heading that way. 

As has been pointed out on another thread oil is only $120 a barrel yet we're almost at 2 quid at the pumps someone is coming the Helen Hunt here.

It has to stop

17 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

It's heading that way. 

As has been pointed out on another thread oil is only $120 a barrel yet we're almost at 2 quid at the pumps someone is coming the Helen Hunt here.

It has to stop

I’m not arguing it isn’t heading that way but todays headlines seems to be a load of bollox. There is also a lot of profiteering going on with Petrol stations that has prices higher than they should be. 

2 hours ago, Taffin said:

I genuinely don't know. It's not something I go looking for. The diesel I got the other day was 181p a litre at my local Tesco in the Midlands. 

If folk are paying 2 quid a litre in places in Scotland then it's outrageous.

There will definitely be £2 a litre somewhere. ****ing shocking really. 

joondalupjambo
2 hours ago, Dazo said:

There will definitely be £2 a litre somewhere. ****ing shocking really. 

Shell in Leven was 1.91 a litre. Just lining it up nicely for 2 quid plus for the holiday season👍

Unknown user
5 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

The short term cost is mental, we'd all have to pay more taxes to achieve that.

In 2018, one of the largest UK housing builders, Persimmon, paid their CEO a BONUS of £110million in two instalments.

He was gracious enough to only actually accept £75million in bonuses after shareholders went nuts.

That year, most of their houses were built with government subsidy.

Your taxes went straight into this guy's back pocket and house prices never moved an inch.

He left the company the year after. :munny:

The guy that replaced him in the job then paid himself a bonus of £40million.

Then that guy also left the company the year after. :munny:

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, Cade said:

In 2018, one of the largest UK housing builders, Persimmon, paid their CEO a BONUS of £110million in two instalments.

He was gracious enough to only actually accept £75million in bonuses after shareholders went nuts.

Your taxes went straight into this guy's back pocket and house prices never moved an inch.

It’s absolutely ****ing criminal what goes on honestly :lol: 

We should all start using only one supplier, Asda..whatever. Surely then the rest would need to drop prices to attract custom. Or am I being stupid.

9 minutes ago, tightrope said:

We should all start using only one supplier, Asda..whatever. Surely then the rest would need to drop prices to attract custom. Or am I being stupid.

I think Asda would just run out really quickly and we'd have to go elsewhere within a day or so.

Lone Striker

Isn't the quality (or purity)  of supermarket petrol a bit below what Shell & BP sell ?  And thats why its cheaper ?

Shell at Kildean in Stirling today was 1.95 for E10.  

Shooter McGavin
3 hours ago, Cade said:

And in turn, regular folk working 40+ hours-a-week are told to eat savers dried pasta everyday and just take on more hours at work…

Forecourt retailers make 3p margin per litre on petrol.  The government takes 53p in fuel duty and then another 20p or so in vat on the overall price.

The government wants people to concentrate on the perception that someone (else) is inflating the price at the pumps.  The usual people lap it up.