New Stand: Ongoing work (updated)

Clerry Jambo

4 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

And they say Tynecastle is crammed in! Look at he state of those end stands with bits chopped off to squeeze in the line of the streets.  And as for their main stand.......

You could walk round that entire stadium and still be none the wiser which one was the main stand as none of them have an appealing facade.

Seymour M Hersh
29 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Seemingly some parents were playing hardball and demanded the nursery was on the same location.

I certainly seem to remember a couple of them being gobby prior to getting planning permission which I always found odd as the likelihood would be their kids would be away from it by the time it was completed.  Probably vermin fans.

34 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

I haven't been up there for a while, but the plan was to lay decking over the membrane roof to the area in front of the 'Skyline' glazed screen.  Access out to this area was from glazed doors.

What about above the restaurant? Is this something that is accessible or could be made accessible in the future 

3 minutes ago, campbell said:

What about above the restaurant? Is this something that is accessible or could be made accessible in the future 

A few months ago the structural engineer and the architect were asked to look into the feasibility of making the 'Skyline' roof adequate to take the load of persons accessing the area. Think this may be a future option once the other priority areas are complete.

15 hours ago, farin said:

Nice image this. 

3CBA4674-7FAC-4596-A1E0-B5BB6D1197CA.thumb.jpeg.4317c3ea4bd23370dda395b078d27e9c.jpeg

Great photo!

This really shows the huge size and scale of the stand complex - we did not just build a 'stand' and cost comparisons to other main stands such as the one at ER are just irrelevant.

Edited by Thomaso

15 hours ago, farin said:

Nice image this. 

3CBA4674-7FAC-4596-A1E0-B5BB6D1197CA.thumb.jpeg.4317c3ea4bd23370dda395b078d27e9c.jpeg

All i think when i look at that is anger at the window cleaning costs. 100k a year wasted.

Edited by Dalstonjambo

57 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

A few months ago the structural engineer and the architect were asked to look into the feasibility of making the 'Skyline' roof adequate to take the load of persons accessing the area. Think this may be a future option once the other priority areas are complete.

Thanks Thomaso, great info as always, I hope we can look into this in the future as I think it would be a great feature for many reason especially in the summer 

2 hours ago, Dalstonjambo said:

All i think when i look at that is anger at the window cleaning costs. 100k a year wasted.

A highlight from a well known drama queen on here to be fair.

28 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

A highlight from a well known drama queen on here to be fair.

Agreed - when he's on every thread polluting it with his sensationalist nonsense the intelligence levels shown on posts like 100k a year to clean the windows should be brought up.

2 hours ago, Dalstonjambo said:

Agreed - when he's on every thread polluting it with his sensationalist nonsense the intelligence levels shown on posts like 100k a year to clean the windows should be brought up.

But he's entitled to his opinion, don't you know ?

Scnorthedinburgh
1 hour ago, Hearts_fan said:

In reality, how much will it cost annually to clean the windows? I get mine done once a month for £10.

4 times a year for lot less than 10k

But may be self cleaning glass so no major cleaning costs

4 hours ago, Scnorthedinburgh said:

Thanks. Not major.

On 28/11/2018 at 19:35, Scnorthedinburgh said:

I don't think it is self cleaning glass.

Just now, Scnorthedinburgh said:

Either way not 100k a year to clean.

Nope. But nobody actually believed that did they?

Oh wait.

Scnorthedinburgh
1 minute ago, hughesie27 said:

Nope. But nobody actually believed that did they?

Oh wait.

Think that's why 0% cider is now on offer.

5 minutes ago, Scnorthedinburgh said:

Think that's why 0% cider is now on offer.

Aye but if you drink twenty pints of it, it’ll be like... erm... 100,000% no?

On ‎30‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:07, hughesie27 said:

I don't think it is self cleaning glass.

It's not

Noticed the temporary buildings used by the nursey are still behind the wheatfield. With the nursery now open in the main stand will these be removed or do the club have plans for them?

1 minute ago, farin said:

Aren’t they just leased portocabins used as a temporary measure?. Think they’ll be removed & the parking reinstated. 

My thoughts were the same as yours but now the nursery is open who is using them?

2 minutes ago, farin said:

No idea, could be temporary storage or a few other reasons tbh. I’d imagine once hearts are done with them they’ll be removed from the site rather than paying for a lease of something not needed. 

I reckon the cooncil must be paying for them as they ran over the agreed time anyway given the late opening. 

scott herbertson
20 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Noticed the temporary buildings used by the nursey are still behind the wheatfield. With the nursery now open in the main stand will these be removed or do the club have plans for them?

Usually that sort of thing has temporary planning permission so shouldn't be there too long

Sir Talbot Buxomly
On 22/11/2018 at 14:44, Hearts_fan said:

Has this concept been discussed? 

4-vs-8-Towers.jpg

I posted this ages ago. I said: remove the four corner supports and the goal-line support trusses; position new supports as far back away from the touchlines as possible and add new longer trusses, which would carry the sideline trusses. You could also rebuild the Wheatfield completely into a two-tier structure by extending it backwards with the seating at a shallower rake.

1y7fj4.jpg

soxsol.jpg

Edited by Sir Talbot Buxomly

9 hours ago, Sir Talbot Buxomly said:

I posted this ages ago. I said: remove the four corner supports and the goal-line support trusses; position new supports as far back away from the touchlines as possible and add new longer trusses, which would carry the sideline trusses. You could also rebuild the Wheatfield completely into a two-tier structure by extending it backwards with the seating at a shallower rake.

soxsol.jpg

I like the ideas although the negative aspect is it changes the symmetric look of the stadium.

Not against it though and I also think it could be used as the basis for a bigger Roseburn. 

The club is no no where near ready for further expansion but it is this type of forward thinking that is needed to work out how to overcome fairly big issues like the structures that hold up the roofs.

I’m still banging the drum that we first need to work with the distillers to obtain the old school buildings and hope they move their some of their production out of the city (in order to remove the ethanol tanks). 

Edited by Mysterion

On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 14:40, farin said:

Aren’t they just leased portocabins used as a temporary measure?. Think they’ll be removed & the parking reinstated. 

Unlike the basic portacabins that were removed at the front, these were fitted out to a very high standard. The Club may have purchased these and have plans for them.

7 minutes ago, john1951 said:

I was told that they are earmarked for Sighthill nursery.

That would be another income stream for little outgoings.

15 hours ago, Sir Talbot Buxomly said:

1y7fj4.jpg

soxsol.jpg

How much more of a footprint would this require behind the stand? 

Noticed on the way home on Sunday cars parked in the distillery next to the community pitch in Wheatfield Strert/place. Looks like this being used by Hearts now. Did this replace the parking in the old Tynecastle big school?

On 30/11/2018 at 18:09, kila said:

Every pint of cider sold is a quarter of a window cleaned

Does the cider come in self-cleaning glasses?

The Treasurer
4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Is there any work actually happening on the stand at the moment?

Probably fixing any damage done to the Roseburn stand on Sunday

2 hours ago, campbell said:

How much more of a footprint would this require behind the stand? 

17 hours ago, Sir Talbot Buxomly said:

1y7fj4.jpg

soxsol.jpg

This was done at the Kadir Has Stadium in Kayeri, Turkey:

Not sure if it could ever be done at Tynie, but the design does work.

Personally I think we can extend the main and Wheatfield stands backwards by maybe ten rows each.

That would add, I guess, 2000 seats per stand.

And if we increase capacity by safe-standing the Gorgie Stand that would take it up to 25,000.

But that's all guesswork.

kadir-has-stadium.jpg

Edited by kingdannyb

2 hours ago, kingdannyb said:

17 hours ago, Sir Talbot Buxomly said:

1y7fj4.jpg

soxsol.jpg

This was done at the Kadir Has Stadium in Kayeri, Turkey:

Not sure if it could ever be done at Tynie, but the design does work.

Personally I think we can extend the main and Wheatfield stands backwards by maybe ten rows each.

That would add, I guess, 2000 seats per stand.

And if we increase capacity by safe-standing the Gorgie Stand that would take it up to 25,000.

But that's all guesswork.

kadir-has-stadium.jpg

That looks amazing...

Not dismissing any of the suggestions above, but my understanding is that all the floodlights/pillars and cross sections do, is hold up the roofs. Therefor would the easiest thing not be to remove them and just put on new roofs with a cantilever design? 

On 04/12/2018 at 21:25, Sir Talbot Buxomly said:

1y7fj4.jpg

This pic seems to show the trusses holding up the main and wheatfield roofs being unsupported at their ends. How would that work? 

On 04/12/2018 at 21:25, Sir Talbot Buxomly said:

soxsol.jpg

Re this idea for a replacement Wheatfield, the lower tier, with the shallower rake, would make an ideal location for some safe standing areas.

17 hours ago, Toggie88 said:

That looks amazing...

Not dismissing any of the suggestions above, but my understanding is that all the floodlights/pillars and cross sections do, is hold up the roofs. Therefor would the easiest thing not be to remove them and just put on new roofs with a cantilever design?

Apart from the fact that it would be very expensive, cantilever roofs would, I think, require a steel supporting structure extending behind the main structure of the stands/seating areas, and I simply don't think there's space behind the stands, except the Wheatfield, to do that. There will, of course, be solutions, but I think they'll all be either complex, very expensive, or both!

1 hour ago, FarmerTweedy said:

This pic seems to show the trusses holding up the main and wheatfield roofs being unsupported at their ends. How would that work? 

They would be connected to the Gorgie and Roseburn trusses. 

Similar to the emirates. 

On 06/12/2018 at 11:30, FarmerTweedy said:

Apart from the fact that it would be very expensive, cantilever roofs would, I think, require a steel supporting structure extending behind the main structure of the stands/seating areas, and I simply don't think there's space behind the stands, except the Wheatfield, to do that. There will, of course, be solutions, but I think they'll all be either complex, very expensive, or both!

It does require supporting structure extending from behind, but the distance really isn't much. Some designs will have it loop out the back and then extend down and tuck under the structure, thereby keeping the footprint the same. A reason given for it not happening with the Wheatfield was apparently that reason (The Distillery came right up to the back of the Wheatfield), however the particular building is now gone (where community pitch is now). I'm pretty confident it would be possible in the current footprint. 

All that being said, your point about expense entirely stands. I've no idea how much it would cost or the amount of steel involved. We would have a lot scrap steel to sell however with the removal of the trusses and floodlights...

• 2 weeks later...