New Stand: Ongoing work (updated)

Clerry Jambo

Selkirkhmfc1874
25 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

What I see is a magnificent stadium which is being completed to a timescale which allows us to put out a team that has spent the vast majority of its time at the summit of the league, and without racking up unmanageable debt at the same time. Budge and Levein deserve a lot of praise for that.

Spot on 

1 hour ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

What I see is a magnificent stadium which is being completed to a timescale which allows us to put out a team that has spent the vast majority of its time at the summit of the league, and without racking up unmanageable debt at the same time. Budge and Levein deserve a lot of praise for that.

Absolutely, don’t know why Hearts fans want to have a pop. Who cares if it takes another 5 years to completely finish, we now have a magnificent stadium which many will be envious of

Mid Calder Jambo

Nailed it there pal. Can't really say a lot more other than if some of these tailpieces who complain on here put the same amount of effort into supporting the team then we would be flying.

6 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Absolutely, don’t know why Hearts fans want to have a pop. Who cares if it takes another 5 years to completely finish, we now have a magnificent stadium which many will be envious of

Originally I was a little disappointed that the glass curtain never looked like the concept drawing with the baffle (?) in front of it, but Now I really like it. The stand itself though, and the potential that it gives us is massive. The fact we aren’t going to be paying off a mortgage on it, or losing income through a 500 club style system means we will make even more from it too. The fact it’s going to be up and running without a huge debt, AND the arse never fell out of the football department like happened with other clubs, is simply unbelievable. 

Its worth remembering Tynecastle is a vastly superior stadium to Easter Road, and we have completed it without a mortgage we couldn’t pay, and we never got so shit on the field in the process, we got relegated.

In a couple of years time we are completely debt free, fully operational stadium, massively increased income, and the football operations are getting better and better.

11 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Originally I was a little disappointed that the glass curtain never looked like the concept drawing with the baffle (?) in front of it, but Now I really like it. The stand itself though, and the potential that it gives us is massive. The fact we aren’t going to be paying off a mortgage on it, or losing income through a 500 club style system means we will make even more from it too. The fact it’s going to be up and running without a huge debt, AND the arse never fell out of the football department like happened with other clubs, is simply unbelievable. 

Its worth remembering Tynecastle is a vastly superior stadium to Easter Road, and we have completed it without a mortgage we couldn’t pay, and we never got so shit on the field in the process, we got relegated.

In a couple of years time we are completely debt free, fully operational stadium, massively increased income, and the football operations are getting better and better.

And that my friend is whats known as the "big picture".

Something that people here need to look out for rather than down their noses at the stains on their shorts.

Spot on.    What we have now is not just a new stand, we have built a business on the back of the stand.    Hospitality, new show, fans bar.  An area outside the stand which is stunning compared to any other scottish club.   A top quality pitch.   

If it costs more but the club can afford it then i am happy.   This stand will likly last most of this century and we will then have the options to rebuild or completly renovate the other 3 stands when required.

A new stadium, pah, soulless out of town development, away from the pitch, no where near as steep.  

Fans should question decisions by the board and club, but on the stand i am happy.  Could never have dreamed tynie would ever look as good as it does now.  

I see greenginger has been asked on hibs net if he has a picture of the crumbling flats on Mcleod Street..he doesn’t but suggests the dot nets go take a look.. now for a man who spends his life at Tynie stalking builders and documenting the build flaws you’d think a wee photo here and there wouldn’t be too hard?

Just now, VladMagic said:

And that my friend is whats known as the "big picture".

Something that people here need to look out for rather than down their noses at the stains on their shorts.

:lol:

We’ve literally never had it this good in my time supporting Hearts. I find it unfathomably that some cannot see what’s happening. I don’t know whether it’s ignorance, trolling or a pathological need to be negative. 

1 minute ago, Rudy T said:

I see greenginger has been asked on hibs net if he has a picture of the crumbling flats on Mcleod Street..he doesn’t but suggests the dot nets go take a look.. now for a man who spends his life at Tynie stalking builders and documenting the build flaws you’d think a wee photo here and there wouldn’t be too hard?

Its actully hilarious they still cling on his every word.... but but but admin... going deed...tesco gorgie... flats... tick tock... gorgies gonna fall in a sink hole :locke:

3 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

He is probably charging a tenner a pop like Sergey was for photos of his nob. Funny old place Hibs.nut. ?

1 minute ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

:lol:

We’ve literally never had it this good in my time supporting Hearts. I find it unfathomably that some cannot see what’s happening. I don’t know whether it’s ignorance, trolling or a pathological need to be negative. 

I genuinely feel we are building the foundations of our next golden era.   From the new stand to the academy to external funders.  The way levein talks about the type of players we scout.  Its all coming together nicely.  

I love Tynecastle and sort of what they’ve done but this idea of highest standard finishes is dubious. I regularly take hospitality and could best describe the interior as a builder’s white and magnolia finish. 

It’s better than the bare concrete block and floor finishes in a lot of stadium concourses but the lounges are clearly finished and furnished to a limited budget.

The comparable areas at Ibrox might be old but the wood panelling of the hospitality areas and the executive bar and lounge areas are positively sumptuous compared to the “get it on the market quick” finish that pervades at Tynecastle.

Another point - the Liberty stadium built in pre- recession 2005 with a capacity similar to Tynecastle cost £27m.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_Stadium

Perhaps we should have put it out to tender to that contractor rather than Anne’s brother?

8 minutes ago, Elshin said:

I genuinely feel we are building the foundations of our next golden era.   From the new stand to the academy to external funders.  The way levein talks about the type of players we scout.  Its all coming together nicely.  

That’s exactly what I think too. It’s just a shame Celtic have pushed on so much in the last three decades and become so powerful through their attraction to bigots and glory hunters, because what we are building here could have put us on a different level to everyone else otherwise. As things stand though, I think we are on the cusp of putting in a challenge more consistently, and massively increasing our chances of trophies. It’s longterm what we are doing.

14 minutes ago, macwad said:

I love Tynecastle and sort of what they’ve done but this idea of highest standard finishes is dubious. I regularly take hospitality and could best describe the interior as a builder’s white and magnolia finish. 

It’s better than the bare concrete block and floor finishes in a lot of stadium concourses but the lounges are clearly finished and furnished to a limited budget.

The comparable areas at Ibrox might be old but the wood panelling of the hospitality areas and the executive bar and lounge areas are positively sumptuous compared to the “get it on the market quick” finish that pervades at Tynecastle.

Another point - the Liberty stadium built in pre- recession 2005 with a capacity similar to Tynecastle cost £27m.

Perhaps we should have put it out to tender to that contractor rather than Anne’s brother?

That's over £39 Million in today's money?

44 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Pretty much this. Plus in the future we'll be a decent drawcard for coaches etc looking to join a club with a sound financial footing and a good budget.

Francis Albert
8 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

Utter nonsense as usual.

You were given a a unique and personal opportunity to have a face to face meeting with someone from the FOH where you could have had a real discussion but didn't take them up on that.

You continue to bump your gums on here and send strongly worded emails though.

Pathetic.

Are you referring to the invitation from the FoH Director (briefly) Dougie "Kickback is for arseholes" Masterton to join him in the Merchie Hearts so he could "put me right on a few things"? And what strongly worded emails are you referring to?

2 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Aye, but. The concourse is the most claustrophobic place and there's no daylight (except for from the access tunnels to pitch side and the open concourse at the Gorgie end) !! And it's magnolia. 

33 minutes ago, Elshin said:

As a 55 year old Jambo, i’ve Never been a happier Hearts supporter. Well there is a certain Cup Final....but I would say joy is relative. We’ve had such dark days in recent years. That should not cause us to look at all aspects of the club’s management through rose coloured glasses.

if one of my developments was running over 50% of original forecast budget, heads would be rolling. Either those failing on the delivery or those who did the original QS and relating pricing. It has the ring of Edinburgh Trams inadequacy about it and this bundling of other expenditure has certain PR spin feel to it rather than the straightforward OK we got it wrong. I get the sense that budgets haven’t of themselves at any stage been looked at and revised up in a planned way. This just sort feels a bit like they’re not on top of it and it’s got away from them.

I understand FA’s accountability rumbles. However, Mrs Budge is the owner of a private Enterprise and is technically only accountable to herself and minority shareholders (which means herself) She did ask for £3m from FoH and I do have question marks about governance in a case where she has put herself in a position of using other’s money. Of course, if she had put her own risk capital into the stand build that would be another matter? Maybe she has, maybe the mystery benefactor is herself?

Scnorthedinburgh
46 minutes ago, macwad said:

As a 55 year old Jambo, i’ve Never been a happier Hearts supporter. Well there is a certain Cup Final....but I would say joy is relative. We’ve had such dark days in recent years. That should not cause us to look at all aspects of the club’s management through rose coloured glasses.

if one of my developments was running over 50% of original forecast budget, heads would be rolling. Either those failing on the delivery or those who did the original QS and relating pricing. It has the ring of Edinburgh Trams inadequacy about it and this bundling of other expenditure has certain PR spin feel to it rather than the straightforward OK we got it wrong. I get the sense that budgets haven’t of themselves at any stage been looked at and revised up in a planned way. This just sort feels a bit like they’re not on top of it and it’s got away from them.

I understand FA’s accountability rumbles. However, Mrs Budge is the owner of a private Enterprise and is technically only accountable to herself and minority shareholders (which means herself) She did ask for £3m from FoH and I do have question marks about governance in a case where she has put herself in a position of using other’s money. Of course, if she had put her own risk capital into the stand build that would be another matter? Maybe she has, maybe the mystery benefactor is herself?

Indeed.

For those complaining on cost.

Find a building of comparative size built in Edinburgh in the last couple of years for 18 mill, will take you a while.

It's more than a stand, we have built an entirely new building from scratch in less than a year.

Just happens one side has seats and looks at a pitch.

1 hour ago, macwad said:

So two stands then and bit better quality fit out??

Two new stands? Where? We're boxed in, we'd need to buy more land and hope the council approve it (unlikely).

1 hour ago, SUTOL said:

Aye, but. The concourse is the most claustrophobic place and there's no daylight (except for from the access tunnels to pitch side and the open concourse at the Gorgie end) !! And it's magnolia. 

I have to admit, I don't like the suspended ceilings that much, and that's from someone who spent six months installing them when they were building the ERI. It's far from the finished article though, and when it's been tarted up a little it'll look peachy. It's such a minimal concern though.

fabienleclerq
19 minutes ago, Scnorthedinburgh said:

Indeed.

For those complaining on cost.

Find a building of comparative size built in Edinburgh in the last couple of years for 18 mill, will take you a while.

It's more than a stand, we have built an entirely new building from scratch in less than a year.

Just happens one side has seats and looks at a pitch.

There's a difference between comparing costs and complaining about them.

We are over the original budget by quite a bit, it's ok to ask questions about that. It doesn't mean folk are trolling or don't support the team. At what point would you say actually why are we so over budget or ask questions about it? £20m? £25m? 

I don't doubt everything is being done for the benefit of the club it doesn't mean questions shouldn't be asked if things don't go to plan.

10 minutes ago, kila said:

Two new stands? Where? We're boxed in, we'd need to buy more land and hope the council approve it (unlikely).

We don’t need to increase the stadium size just now but if we ever needed to in the future, I don’t think it would be an impossibility to rebuild the Wheatfield Stand. Difficult, but not impossible. 

Just now, Buffalo Bill said:

We don’t need to increase the stadium size just now but if we ever needed to in the future, I don’t think it would be an impossibility to rebuild the Wheatfield Stand. Difficult, but not impossible. 

Exactly. Many things may change in the area by that time, and I hope we still have the FoH money coming in, so we are ready to purchase any land that may make it possible.

From the accounts.

Stadium redevelopment
In March 2016, the business announced its plans to redevelop Tynecastle Stadium, with work commencing
in November 2016. Phase 1 of the works was completed in November 2017, with the opening of the new
Main Stand. Phase 2, comprising the new Club Store, the Supporters Bar, the 3rd Floor TV studio and the
Control Room modification was completed at the end of June 2018. At 30 June 2018 a total of £17.7m has
been capitalised in the accounts as 'assets in the course of construction'.
In addition, the full replacement of the pitch commenced in May 2018 - with £566k capitalised at 30th June
2018. This is also included in 'assets in the course of construction'.
The £561k acquisition of new kitchen, kiosk, bar equipment and additional turf lights during the year has
been capitalised and included in 'plant and equipment

22 minutes ago, kila said:

I said this in response to a comment I previously posted which pointed out my observation of the whole Liberty Stadium being built in 2005 at a bigger capacity than ours for 27m. The commenter rightly pointed out that in today’s money that’s 37m. So I joked referring to our single stand costs that that’s two stands = 36m + 1m ...meaning not a whole stadium as Swansea got!

iwasthere1954
3 hours ago, macwad said:

Difference with that stadium it looks like the Amazon Depot down Easter Road. Also we are funding our own project. Swansea Council paid for that stadium and Swansea are in effect renting it

1 hour ago, Buffalo Bill said:

One day acquiring the land the distillery is on would be fantastic. Do a full rebuild further over with our Champions League cash.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

What about the old school? Gorgie is impossible to think of expansion, but the other 2 stands with the right set of circumstances could develop. But would we lose the brilliant boxed in feel we currently have. The place looks amazing at the moment

5 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

What about the old school? Gorgie is impossible to think of expansion, but the other 2 stands with the right set of circumstances could develop. But would we lose the brilliant boxed in feel we currently have. The place looks amazing at the moment

If they were redeveloped to be the same dimensions when they attach to the current stanchions and pylons, but be deeper and reach further back, then I think it would still keep its 'boxed in feel'.

Pasquale for King

There’s clearly still a bit of work to be done on the walls etc going forward, no big rush to do all that and it can be done over time. I’m sure there’s stuff needing done in the other three stands too and our FoH contributions will help with that. As long as much money as possible is going towards the first team squad as success pushes everything onwards and upwards. 

On 13/11/2018 at 08:31, Francis Albert said:

I have not seen any explanation of what this higher finish means. Nor an explanation of what has been added. Balanced by what has been deleted. Presumably the space occupied by the fans bar was going to be occupied by something. And the inclusion of the premium hospitality space for the Matchday Exprrience has been removed from scope by leaving that in the Gorgie Suite. The offices that were planned to be in the new stand are now remaining in the Wheatfield undercroft so again are out of the new stand scope. Ann's statement is the familiar "its because we want to make it the best we can for the fans" which was the explanation for the second delay in opening the stand ("I looked at the plans again and decided the toilets and kiosks weren't adequate"). As for "the major infrastructure investment is behind us" we still have a finding gap of over 6m as far as we can tell with no idea of how it is to be met. It is equivalent to over a further full four years of FoH donations.

The AGM will hopefully reveal some facts and proper scope amd cost variation analysis to supplement Ann's PR spin.

I think you're mistaken there. Some of the cost overrun has been through changing the plans and specs for toilets and kiosks, but the second delay was, I'm fairly sure, down to not having general stuff like fire-resistant internal walls/ceilings, singage, lighting, turnstiles, etc fully installed and tested.

The Treasurer
2 hours ago, the general said:

I am pretty confident that Hearts will announce more money making deals associated with this new stand

You buying a half season ticket ????

On 13/11/2018 at 11:15, Mikey1874 said:

Carrick Knowe back as a longer term option with the golf club now closed. 

That club may be closed, but the course is still operating as normal and Carrickvale golf club, which also uses the course, is still open and apparently fairly healthy, so it doesn't look like the course will be closing any time soon. I've no idea whether the course runs at a loss, gain or breakeven though, and the land is no doubt worth a substantial amount (it's at least 10 or 12 times the size of Tynecastle, possibly more!), so it's entirely possible that the council may decide to close the course and use the land for other things in the future.

On 13/11/2018 at 13:20, Footballfirst said:

Ann Budge update 9 May 2016

You all know about our plans to develop our main stand. A number of you came along to the public meetings which were held at Tynecastle last week, where you heard more detail of what we are planning, of how we are approaching the development and of the likely timescales. 

In short, we are hoping to create the space needed for the larger stand by knocking down, not the current main stand, but the buildings behind the stand – the admin building, the shop building and the nursery. Before we can do this we will, of course, have to provide new temporary facilities which will be used during construction. The nursery will move to new facilities in Gerard’s Yard and everyone else will move into new facilities in the Wheatfield undercroft. Plans for these temporary facilities are currently being finalised. They should be ready for occupation in October, to allow the demolition of the old buildings in November of this year.

Ann Budge update 26 Sep 2016

We remain cautiously optimistic that our plans for the new stand will soon be approved; we have a key meeting on the 12th October with planners and I hope to be making some significant announcements shortly thereafter. Meanwhile, we are making great progress with the Wheatfield undercroft development and are on schedule for “the big move” early in November.

AGM slides - Dec 2016

Phase 1b - New Pitch - Summer 2017

Ann Budge update - 20 Feb 2017

As many of you will have seen for yourselves, our pitch has deteriorated badly over the last few weeks.  While we knew that we would have to address the replacement of our now 19 year old pitch sometime soon, we were hoping that it would see us through to the end of this season.  However, having carefully monitored the issues and having consulted a number of experts in this field, we have taken the decision to address the problem now.   We have, therefore, commissioned SIS (UK) Ltd, the industry leader in the field, to re-turf our pitch.

I can't be bothered digging out any more references. You can either accept what I have said previously and the references I have given, or you can reject them. It's your choice. It doesn't really make a difference.

My biggest concern, as I have repeated several times since the project started, is the funding of any shortfall and its potential impact on investment in the team in the short to medium term.

As has been pointed out a number of times now, there was initially a plan to relay the pitch, and yes, that was factored into the original £11-12m plan for upgrading the stadum.. And it went ahead, as stated in the Ann Budge update in the highlighted section, in early 2017.  

The installation of a completely new pitch system, encompassing new undersoil heating, irrigation/drainage, and a hybrid turf system, at a cost of circa £1m, was something that came later, and definitely was not part of the initial £11-12m plan.

4 hours ago, macwad said:

I said this in response to a comment I previously posted which pointed out my observation of the whole Liberty Stadium being built in 2005 at a bigger capacity than ours for 27m. The commenter rightly pointed out that in today’s money that’s 37m. So I joked referring to our single stand costs that that’s two stands = 36m + 1m ...meaning not a whole stadium as Swansea got!

Swansea council didn't sell the land to themselves i'm guessing?

On 13/11/2018 at 14:34, fabienleclerq said:

B is kind of what I'm getting at, we aren't far away from the figures you are talking about if you were to factor in selling Tynecastle. 

You're surely at the windup! 

On 13/11/2018 at 14:35, davemclaren said:

I think the fan’s bar was originally destined to be ‘community space’ with no specific plans. The original fans bar was thought to be going under the Wheatfield iirc.  Given the pressing timescale to get the basics done, so the stand coukd open, a lot of the final details were left hanging and evolved along the way. Just like a lot of major time constrained projects in my experience. 

The original plans didn't include a fan bar in any stand, although Ann Budge did say early on that the club were aware that a lot of fans had expressed a desire to see one at the ground, and that they would be looking into the feasibility of creating one. The area where the temporary shop/ticket office was sited under the Wheatfield stand was suggested as a possible location for it, but it was not part of the original £11-12m redevelopment plan.

1 minute ago, FarmerTweedy said:

The original plans didn't include a fan bar in any stand, although Ann Budge did say early on that the club were aware that a lot of fans had expressed a desire to see one at the ground, and that they would be looking into the feasibility of creating one. The area where the temporary shop/ticket office was sited under the Wheatfield stand was suggested as a possible location for it, but it was not part of the original £11-12m redevelopment plan.

Thanks for the clarification. 

8 hours ago, Elshin said:

Spot on.    What we have now is not just a new stand, we have built a business on the back of the stand.    Hospitality, new show, fans bar.  An area outside the stand which is stunning compared to any other scottish club.   A top quality pitch.   

If it costs more but the club can afford it then i am happy.   This stand will likly last most of this century and we will then have the options to rebuild or completly renovate the other 3 stands when required.

A new stadium, pah, soulless out of town development, away from the pitch, no where near as steep.  

Fans should question decisions by the board and club, but on the stand i am happy.  Could never have dreamed tynie would ever look as good as it does now.  

Well said Elshin, shining beacon to the future of this great club.

Footballfirst
10 hours ago, Dave McCreery's knee said:

There was around £750k to £1M spent on buying land from the Council and the company that owned the old ticket office. That wouldnt have been included in the originally reported construction estimate. 

Those expenses would have been included in the planned re-development costs.

From the 2016 accounts:

During the year, the business announced its plans to redevelop the stadium at Tynecastle. £705k has been incurred up to 30 June 2016 in purchasing the current Administration building and developing the Wheatfield under-croft, which will be the business's temporary base during the main stand build period. The new main stand build received planning permission in October 2016 , subject to certain conditions.

3 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

The area where the temporary shop/ticket office was sited under the Wheatfield stand was suggested as a possible location for it, but it was not part of the original £11-12m redevelopment plan.

What is this space used for now?

Perth to Paisley
9 hours ago, the general said:

I am pretty confident that Hearts will announce more money making deals associated with this new stand

Plans for a Tesco Express inn the Wheatfield Undercroft i understand.

11 hours ago, macwad said:

As almost everyone knows, our 'single stand' is actually a main stand with extensive hospitality facilities, changing rooms, police facilities, a new shop, supporters' bar, new hybrid pitch, significant other development work in other stands including new plant and machinery, office, community use changing rooms, office space, plumbing, etc.

Not sure if you're just clueless or shitstirring, but I know which I suspect! 

13 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

As almost everyone knows, our 'single stand' is actually a main stand with extensive hospitality facilities, changing rooms, police facilities, a new shop, supporters' bar, new hybrid pitch, significant other development work in other stands including new plant and machinery, office, community use changing rooms, office space, plumbing, etc.

Not sure if you're just clueless or shitstirring, but I know which I suspect! 

Well he has 5 posts in 3 years and 4of them are having a go at our stand costs so I think I will go with both