New Stand: Ongoing work (updated)

Clerry Jambo

jamboinglasgow

Are the temporay cabins now ready to use?

dunno, but from what someone said earlier they are at Dalry School. 

Also looking over photos taken of the nursery from the works show the gates on the nursery either removed or blocked by temporary metal fences. Plus nothing around it that suggests it is being used.

Lucille's Thirsty

I think the old girl looks a bit shit and shabby to be honest.

:rofl:

Finally someone said it,there is a reason we are getting rid of it.

I think it was posted earlier that the nursery has now moved temporarily to Dalry Primary, but will then move into the temporary nursery in the new year.

dunno, but from what someone said earlier they are at Dalry School. 

Also looking over photos taken of the nursery from the works show the gates on the nursery either removed or blocked by temporary metal fences. Plus nothing around it that suggests it is being used.

So they did. Age related memory failure from me.

The Festival Theatre on Nicolson Street has a glass frontage and must be 20 years old, how's that looking these days?

Still looks Grand, Smithee.

Francis Albert

The Festival Theatre on Nicolson Street has a glass frontage and must be 20 years old, how's that looking these days?

Looks a bit different in style from the architect drawings for the new stand - bigger glass sheets, smaller frames. But then I think the Festival Theatre (especially as the substitute for the long planned hole in the ground Opera House) had to look a bit more impressive than a football stand, didn't it? We'll see in time. Edited by Francis Albert

Stephen Muddie

It's looking mighty fine. I work across the road sometimes

Are the temporay cabins now ready to use?

I went to the garden yesterday and although the cabins are in place there is still a trench with incomplete pipework and other stuff behind Herris fencing so work still to do on them before it can be used. I asked the group4 steward at the gorgie end of the stand if I could cut through Gerrards yard to get to my car by she said "no it is a building site and unsafe" even though 2 of her fellow stewards had just driven in and parked their cars in there. "ah but they are different they work here"  I was told when trying to save myself a longer walk back to my car

The Natural Order

One things for sure. The new stand will not look as good after twenty years or maybe even ten as the old one does after over a century. It wasn't an expensive stand by Leitch's stands but the brickwork was certainly built to last and still looks pretty much good as new. The new school across the road is beginning to show signs of deterioration in the materials and colours unsuited to the Edinburgh climate, and some of the windows which though smaller look like they may be similar in design to the large glass frontage of the new stand.

What a load of shite. Do you have to pick holes in everything the club does? If you look at other major glass fronted buildings in Edinburgh like the Festival Theater and Omni Center, they don't suffer any adverse effects from "Edinburgh Climate". FFS!

Francis Albert

What a load of shite. Do you have to pick holes in everything the club does? If you look at other major glass fronted buildings in Edinburgh like the Festival Theater and Omni Center, they don't suffer any adverse effects from "Edinburgh Climate". FFS!

I was positively appreciating the "panoramic" view of the old stand not picking holes in anything the club is doing. I stand by my opinion that the new stand won't look as good as the old after 100 years or probably even a few decades. It's a comment on new building standards (have you ever looked at the crap that is put up these days, and is obsolete after 30 or 40 years?) not on what the club is doing. I don't expect the club to stand in the way of history. Edited by Francis Albert

I was positively appreciating the "panoramic" view of the old stand not picking holes in anything the club is doing. I stand by my opinion that the new stand won't look as good as the old after 100 years or probably even a few decades. It's a comment on new building standards (have you ever looked at the crap that is put up these days, and is obsolete after 30 or 40 years?) not on what the club is doing. I don't expect the club to stand in the way of history.

FA, neither of us will need to worry much about how the stand will look in 40 years or so I hazard. I do agree that most modern buildings don't age as well as those built a century or so ago.

Francis Albert

FA, neither of us will need to worry much about how the stand will look in 40 years or so I hazard. I do agree that most modern buildings don't age as well as those built a century or so ago.

But I care about future generations! Well actually no, I was just making the point you agree with. We are living in 2016 not 1914 and it would be crazy for the club to build something to the standards of longevity of 1914 rather than 2016. It is I think unlikely that the new stand will last 100 years.

Stephen Muddie

I'm guessing we'll have people cleaning the glass.

Keeping everything spick and span

Just what I was going to post. It's ******* amazing how, no matter how old windows are, they are see through, and shiny if kept clean. In my house, I have windows. They're good.

Edited by Stephen Muddie

August Landmesser

Just what I was going to post. It's ******* amazing how, no matter how old windows are, they are see through, and shiny if kept clean. In my house, I have windows. They're good.

:D

But I care about future generations! Well actually no, I was just making the point you agree with. We are living in 2016 not 1914 and it would be crazy for the club to build something to the standards of longevity of 1914 rather than 2016. It is I think unlikely that the new stand will last 100 years.

I'd hope within the next 100 years we end up buying the land from the distillery and do a total rebuild of Tynecastle further over with less space restrictions. I'd say the 2017 Tynecastle is the medium haul, up to 25 years, finances depending

I'd like to see the outsides of the stadium branded better.  Since the distillery was part demolished about 20 years ago, the entire back of the Wheatfield Stand is in view now and it would nice to see giant 'Heart of Midlothian FC' lettering on it.

Likewise, it would be great see some good signage at the Gorgie Road entrance once more, perhaps this time on the back of the stand.

I think the benefit of doing this is really just to make the stadium stand out a bit more; and to make it a bit more of a land mark.

11129462_399163186920463_753042473787098

Edited by Buffalo Bill

I'd like to see the outsides of the stadium branded better. Since the distillery was part demolished about 20 years ago, the entire back of the Wheatfield Stand is in view now and it would nice to see giant 'Heart of Midlothian FC' lettering on it.

Likewise, it would be great see some good signage at the Gorgie Road entrance once more, perhaps this time on the back of the stand.

I think the benefit of doing this is really just to make the stadium stand out a bit more; and to make it a bit more of a land mark.

There was a couple of well known posters offering to recreate that famous Tynecastle Park sign for free for the club a few years back. Not sure why it hasn't been done but it should!

Due to some unfortunate quoting I have a correction to make.

?12,000 in 1914 equates to ?1.25 million in 2016.  ?12 million is less than ten times that figure.

There was a couple of well known posters offering to recreate that famous Tynecastle Park sign for free for the club a few years back. Not sure why it hasn't been done but it should!

Shame, it would be a nice feel-good factor, quick-win for the club. 

fabienleclerq

Will there be a point when all the rubble, fences etc wi be out the way so a decent picture of the old stand can be taken?

I'd like to see the outsides of the stadium branded better.  Since the distillery was part demolished about 20 years ago, the entire back of the Wheatfield Stand is in view now and it would nice to see giant 'Heart of Midlothian FC' lettering on it.

I was think the same thing myself about the back of the Wheatfield. If the existing illuminated 'Tynecastle Stadium' sign and badge from the back of the main sand could be refurbished for re-use it would look great above the stairway at the back of the Wheatfield stand.

Will there be a point when all the rubble, fences etc wi be out the way so a decent picture of the old stand can be taken?

I think the site is to be completely cleared by 23 December, with the truss going up early January.

While the site will be cleared for a short time, I doubt there will be a time when the fences come down.  It's now a building site.

I was think the same thing myself about the back of the Wheatfield. If the existing illuminated 'Tynecastle Stadium' sign and badge from the back of the main sand could be refurbished for re-use it would look great above the stairway at the back of the Wheatfield stand.

Great idea.

Francis Albert

Due to some unfortunate quoting I have a correction to make.

?12,000 in 1914 equates to ?1.25 million in 2016.  ?12 million is less than ten times that figure.

So about 10 times. As my original post said. I don't know what your source is - I googled money of the day and came up with (when corrected) about 30 times. I don't think it changes my point, ether way, "unfortunate quoting" or otherwise. Do you actually have a point? If so what is it? Edited by Francis Albert

To confuse the inflation issue even more most of the Main Stand was paid for by the transfer of Percy Dawson in what was widely reported as a World transfer record.

If we sold a player for the World transfer record now it would be a whole new stadium we'd be building.

jamboinglasgow

Likewise, it would be great see some good signage at the Gorgie Road entrance once more, perhaps this time on the back of the stand.

I agree. Branding is important and you could do much with Tynecastle. 

I just excited to see the whole stadium when its all finished. Many more facilities, increased capacity, a smart outside look to the main stand, an even more intimidating look from the pitch, screens on the stands. A smart look Plaza outside that looks smart. Gives you goosebumps.

kingantti1874

Should have hearts badge and save the children logo stenciled together on the glass front of the new stand.

Na, nice gesture but we will not always have STC on our shirts..

I think the site is to be completely cleared by 23 December, with the truss going up early January.

While the site will be cleared for a short time, I doubt there will be a time when the fences come down.  It's now a building site.

Correct.

With proper care and maintenance, there is no reason that the serviceable life of the new stand building would not be over 100 years. 

The first glass and metal curtain wall facades were built around 1865 - some are still standing.

Apologies if this has been asked before (or if I've got this all wrong) but at what stage do we have to provide the extra work for the improved ethanol tank protection wall in order to get permission to proceed with the rest of the build?

I was positively appreciating the "panoramic" view of the old stand not picking holes in anything the club is doing. I stand by my opinion that the new stand won't look as good as the old after 100 years or probably even a few decades. It's a comment on new building standards (have you ever looked at the crap that is put up these days, and is obsolete after 30 or 40 years?) not on what the club is doing. I don't expect the club to stand in the way of history.

It is a personal opinion whether you prefer the old traditional look of a brick fa?ade, or the look of a modern glass fa?ade.  Both have beauty in their own right.

The fact is that architecture moves on - although as I said the first glass and metal framed curtainwall facades were erected back in the 1860's.

The glazed curtainwall to be installed at Tynecastle is not "crap" - it is a state of the art system which meets all the current building standards with regards to U values (thermal performance), acoustics and the stringent safety requirements for a football stadium. 

Once complete the new glazed fa?ade will look spectacular - and again as I said before, if it is cleaned and maintained it will still look spectacular for many years to come.

Looks a bit different in style from the architect drawings for the new stand - bigger glass sheets, smaller frames. But then I think the Festival Theatre (especially as the substitute for the long planned hole in the ground Opera House) had to look a bit more impressive than a football stand, didn't it? We'll see in time.

The Festival Theatre frontage does not have "smaller frames" - it has no frames - the glass panes are bolted together with brackets.

The curtainwall fa?ade for the new stand with have large panes of glass with vertical and horizontal framing.

It all comes down to what those wanting to build it, are they want it cheap which means they will use materials that are cheaper but less durable or do you pay more early on so that maintenance is cheaper. To me the council will always build schools for the cheapest amount as they will be criticsed if they go for the more expensive option (even if it works out cheaper in the long run.) I am sure Ann has weighed all the cost basis up and will want to keep maintenance costs low (aim of the new stand is to provide greater annual income to the club, if thats getting swallowed up by the cost of upkeep due to using poorer materials then we are just hurting ourselves. Plus, as mentioned on this thread, we are using firms that are run by Hearts fans to help with costs. If you own a firm and your a big Hearts fan, you would want to make  sure your product supplied is the highest quality.

Correct!

Random..... but, I've never noticed the chimney on the roof before till these pics.

That's a beauty! I'd never noticed that either.

Apologies if this has been asked before (or if I've got this all wrong) but at what stage do we have to provide the extra work for the improved ethanol tank protection wall in order to get permission to proceed with the rest of the build?

Whenever the build starts

We can demolish buildings including the main stand and put the steel structure for the new stand in place before that permission.

Good question.

Edited by Mikey1874

farin, on 12 Dec 2016 - 10:59 AM, said:

True, holds a lot of nostalgia but it's really not fit for purpose in 2016.

5b812d78bc331d59e2b7e135cf0c6fdf.jpg

It's a historic gorgie landmark but the new stand will be a big improvement facilities wise over the old stand.

0046ebdbd91dda63062b4a1a56889ef7.jpg

Did you get that entrance sign from the old ticket office?

I went to the garden yesterday and although the cabins are in place there is still a trench with incomplete pipework and other stuff behind Herris fencing so work still to do on them before it can be used. I asked the group4 steward at the gorgie end of the stand if I could cut through Gerrards yard to get to my car by she said "no it is a building site and unsafe" even though 2 of her fellow stewards had just driven in and parked their cars in there. "ah but they are different they work here"  I was told when trying to save myself a longer walk back to my car

The Steward was correct.  To comply with H&S Regs, only persons that have been inducted in the site safety requirements are allowed on any site.