New Stand: Ongoing work (updated)

Clerry Jambo

I'd love to see the back of the Wheatfield with some sign writing on it. In small letters in the middle of the stand "THIS IS" and then underneath it, in massive letters stretching from section G all the way across the stand to section A, "TYNECASTLE".

It would look the dugs baws, whether approaching from Wheatfield place/street etc, or even just driving into town on the West Approach.

Make it happen Hearts!!!

I said some of the school windows though smaller looked of similar design to the curtain wall glass of the new stand which looks like a lot of 70s and 80s office block glass (much larger than the school windows I referred to but also split by smallish metal or plastic frames). That has often not worn very well.

Plastic frames??

:tlj:

We're not building a kitchen extension Franny.

I was think the same thing myself about the back of the Wheatfield. If the existing illuminated 'Tynecastle Stadium' sign and badge from the back of the main sand could be refurbished for re-use it would look great above the stairway at the back of the Wheatfield stand.

Could someone email this idea to the club, just in case the sign ends up getting binned.

It would look great if they could re-use it, it's my favourite part of the Main Stand, and love seeing it when they do news reports from Tynecastle :thumbsup:

Hackney Hearts

?12,000 in 1914 equates to ?1.25 million in 2016.  ?12 million is less than ten times that figure.

Correct relative values (according to Bank of England Inflation Calculator). But that ?12 million includes a ?1m contingency and the money to be spent on refurbing the other 3 stands. Plus what we're constructing is in effect two buildings - only one of which is a 'stand' where people watch the football. So like for like, the cost is maybe 4 times the 1914 equivalent?

I'd love to see the back of the Wheatfield with some sign writing on it. In small letters in the middle of the stand "THIS IS" and then underneath it, in massive letters stretching from section G all the way across the stand to section A, "TYNECASTLE".

It would look the dugs baws, whether approaching from Wheatfield place/street etc, or even just driving into town on the West Approach.

Make it happen Hearts!!!

image.png?w=400&c=1

Fxxx the SPFL

Make it happen Hearts!!!

and add underneath that ''LETS MAKE SOME NOISE''

That would be a fitting 'epitaph' long after Scott Wilson leaves this planet.

Edited by Ray the auld git

Francis Albert

Plastic frames??

:tlj:

We're not building a kitchen extension Franny.

PVC is probably now the most common material for window frames. But I have been told earlier that we are not talking about frames, just horizontal and vertical strips over larger pieces of plate glass.

Allowayjambo1874

To confuse the inflation issue even more most of the Main Stand was paid for by the transfer of Percy Dawson in what was widely reported as a World transfer record.

If we sold a player for the World transfer record now it would be a whole new stadium we'd be building.

This is a good point.

Rather than talk about how much the main stand cost in today's money it is possibly better to put it into perspective. The ?12m put aside for new stand is just over a years turnover for hearts, wonder if the main stand was more or less than a years turnover back then.

PVC is probably now the most common material for window frames. But I have been told earlier that we are not talking about frames, just horizontal and vertical strips over larger pieces of plate glass.

Yes - common for domestic windows - not for a major commercial fa?ade.

'Educational Tip' - "plate glass" is no longer manufactured. This was when the basic glass had to be polished to give it a smooth finish. Now glass is manufactured as 'FLOAT' glass which does not require polishing. :scholar:

This is a good point.

Rather than talk about how much the main stand cost in today's money it is possibly better to put it into perspective. The ?12m put aside for new stand is just over a years turnover for hearts, wonder if the main stand was more or less than a years turnover back then.

The 1914 stand put Hearts into serious financial difficulty that could have threatened the existence of the club

So there's another comparison

:rofl:

Random..... but, I've never noticed the chimney on the roof before till these pics.

There's a fireplace in the Bobby Walker Suite - guess it'll be that.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Great to see work progressing on time. This time next year, we'll be sitting in a modern thing of beauty. Hearts join the 21st century

True, holds a lot of nostalgia but it's really not fit for purpose in 2016. 5b812d78bc331d59e2b7e135cf0c6fdf.jpg

It's a historic gorgie landmark but the new stand will be a big improvement facilities wise over the old stand.0046ebdbd91dda63062b4a1a56889ef7.jpg

I would love to get my hands on a couple of bits of that wood. Could make something special with it.

Apologies if this has been asked before (or if I've got this all wrong) but at what stage do we have to provide the extra work for the improved ethanol tank protection wall in order to get permission to proceed with the rest of the build?

Greenginger will be reading this post with interest, writing letters of complaint to derail as we speak.

:lol:

Footballfirst

This is a good point.

The only relatively close reference point I have is the 1901 accounts which showed Hearts total income (turnover) at ?4,815. 

The expenditure was ?4,780 so the club made a healthy profit of ?35 that year. :whistling:

I would love to get my hands on a couple of bits of that wood. Could make something special with it.

Ditto....would love to get a bench type seat, or similiar, made from that for the back garden

'Educational Tip' - "plate glass" is no longer manufactured. This was when the basic glass had to be polished to give it a smooth finish. Now glass is manufactured as 'FLOAT' glass which does not require polishing. :scholar:

It's actually floated over a bath of molten tin if memory serves. Helps to ensure the smooth finish as it's a very pure and stable in it's liquid form. 

It's actually floated over a bath of molten tin if memory serves. Helps to ensure the smooth finish as it's a very pure and stable in it's liquid form. 

This is correct. The process was invented by Pilkington of St Helens - they are now owned by the Japanese.

I think the best way to describe the old girl on what is now visible is

'You can see she was a looker in her day but she's had too much surgery etc which has taken its toll'

Impressive to see her in her full glory and you can still see what she must have been like in her heyday. Will be sadly missed but the New one will more than make up for any sentimental attachments.

Always thought that nurse building looked an eye sore and probably cold in the winter aswell. Not before time it was knocked down.

Hoping greenginger was implementing a sit-in protest when that nursery building came down.

Has there been any updates from him recently or has it all gone quiet?

Last I heard, we couldn't knock the McLeod St buildings down 'cos some guy still owned them.

He clearly knows his stuff.

Last I heard, we couldn't knock the McLeod St buildings down 'cos some guy still owned them.

Yeah havent seen anyone post his ramblings would be interesting to see what his next issue is.........................apart from the many he has himself.

Heart should sell seats from the old stand would make a nice wee bit of wonga from it

And it gives fans the chance to keep a bit history. Even if it means putting them in their own skip and allowing fans a day or two to purchase if clearing the site is tight on deadlines

Edited by Gorgie_Rules

Had a quick peek at Bitters.net - the mega thread on our new stand seems to have disappeared.   Looks like the penny has finally dropped with even the daftest Hobbit that Greenginger is a rambling erse.

Had a quick peek at Bitters.net - the mega thread on our new stand seems to have disappeared.   Looks like the penny has finally dropped with even the daftest Hobbit that Greenginger is a rambling erse.

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?314783-Jambo-Stand-Update-Volume-7-Episode-7-0/page26

Still there but nothing been posted since the 29th November. 

Feel the burn, Hobbits. Feel the burn :verysmug:

Cathro's Laptop

Toughened glass still needs to be arissed/polished or it breaks when going through the toughening process. Float glass is easily breakable so I doubt we will use that in the new stand. I'd also imagine we will use Pilks 'K' self cleaning glass to save on costs.

Anyone know when the Truss is meant to be erected?

I know nothing of engineering but we only got planning permission a short time ago and no idea how long it would take to construct something that long from reinforced steel.

Seem to remember that it would be as soon as January?, possibly during the winter break.

Also when the other three stands were constructed I'm assuming large sections were assembled on site?

Great to see the old lady in her full glory but shall be FINALLY a great time to let her rest.

This is correct. The process was invented by Pilkington of St Helens - they are now owned by the Japanese.

What - all of them?

:mw_confused:

Had a quick peek on experts.net the "Yams" thread is nowhere to be seen. I wonder how the trumpets are coping now their experts expertise and insight has been prove wrong and worthless again.

He made a big deal over that for a few pages, like Gordon Britas fastidiously dismissing building work happening before his very eyes, because that would be impossible without the proper paperwork... Then all of a sudden: "yeah guys, it's being demolished", before straight on to the next fantasy to give his mind a treat. :rofl:

Anyone know when the Truss is meant to be erected?

I know nothing of engineering but we only got planning permission a short time ago and no idea how long it would take to construct something that long from reinforced steel.

Seem to remember that it would be as soon as January?, possibly during the winter break.

Also when the other three stands were constructed I'm assuming large sections were assembled on site?

Great to see the old lady in her full glory but shall be FINALLY a great time to let her rest.

I wonder how the old girl feels about the prospect of having a huge erection above her? :shocked3:

I wonder how the old girl feels about the prospect of having a huge erection above her? :shocked3:

Probably the same as any old girl with a new younger 'model' above her  :tiny:

Edited by CJGJ

I'm clearly not the sentimental type as I think the old stand is a bit shit inside and looks a bit shit outside. Can't wait to see it replaced with something more fitting :D

I'm going to miss our old stand. Especially that 'magic' pillar that most of the important action somehow manages to hide behind. :whistling:

Might be a good thread for all the key acts missed over the years

farin, on 12 Dec 2016 - 12:47 PM, said:

Snaffled by someone else ??. Got something that's now sitting in my garage though. [emoji1]

Come on then tell us what you got and don't say the tree :tiny:

When the support goes over the old stand it will really give an impression of how awesome the new one will be when finished.

It'll look interesting under the floodlights, that's for sure

f0c5d805c2.png

I'm clearly not the sentimental type as I think the old stand is a bit shit inside and looks a bit shit outside. Can't wait to see it replaced with something more fitting :D

I am normally quite sentimental but feel similarly. :S