New Stand: Ongoing work (updated)

Clerry Jambo

One must assume the new truss is now being made. I wonder where and in how many parts. Would be quite a sight to see some beams being transported through the streets.

Now that's the sort of things Hearts TV should be all over. It would be very interesting to get an insight into the construction. Hope someone at Hearts is reading...

One must assume the new truss is now being made. I wonder where and in how many parts. Would be quite a sight to see some beams being transported through the streets.

More likely that it will be assembled in the new found space then lifted into position.

National Library of Scotland website has the historic Ordnance Survey maps and town plans of Edinburgh available for free and fully digitized. I'm on my phone so can't really post the link but google it and you should be able to find the maps easy enough.

Edited by JohnB

August Landmesser

are there any drawings/maps knocking around that shows what has been on the land right behind the stand over those

102 years,anybod know such info?

well interesting.

Sorry about that - the map got lost somewhere.

Try this:http://maps.nls.uk/towns/rec/4970

The 1885 map is the first time Tynie appears.

I just came back on to post that link :) Good work :2thumbsup:

you win the prize Davy for spotting the deliberate error buy you a drink before the next home match all you have to do is identify yourself as wavydavy. I will be in the Ardmillan pre match 1pm onwards I will be with the missus.

Well I have to say it's a relief to hear that your spelling mistake was deliberate. Silly old me thinking that you just couldn't spell properly!

Your punctuation could do with a bit of work however since you kindly offered to buy me a drink I will say no more about it.

My tongue is firmly in my cheek just in case you take my comments the wrong way Ray.

See the bit that jutts outs of the back of the stand, where the entrance is: is that a more modern addition? And if so, when was it built?

I know it's been said many times on this thread before but it really is such a shame that the stand was hidden behind that 60s monstrosity for so long.

See the bit that jutts outs of the back of the stand, where the entrance is: is that a more modern addition? And if so, when was it built?

It was added in the Mercer era BB. Already discussed on this or one of the other related threads.

Fxxx the SPFL

Well I have to say it's a relief to hear that your spelling mistake was deliberate. Silly old me thinking that you just couldn't spell properly!

Your punctuation could do with a bit of work however since you kindly offered to buy me a drink I will say no more about it.

My tongue is firmly in my cheek just in case you take my comments the wrong way Ray.

I gathered that Davy your still welcome to a pre match drink if your ever in the Ardmillan.

Great pics! Now all the buildings are clear it shows what a huge space is there. Even with the footprint of the new stand being a lot bigger than the current one, the plaza and entry are going to look amazing with all that space. Going to be so much more impressive.

Exciting times!

Sir Talbot Buxomly

Some snaps from lunch time today when the sun was briefly out.

bfef5189cc.jpg

Cracking pics. :beatnik2: It's really strange to see the entire stand unobstructed like this!

Does anyone know when ^that sticking-out section was added? They've obviously tried to make it match the original brickwork etc, but they clearly didn't do a particularly good job with it.

Jambo, Goodbye

Cracking pics. :beatnik2: It's really strange to see the entire stand unobstructed like this!

Does anyone know when ^that sticking-out section was added? They've obviously tried to make it match the original brickwork etc, but they clearly didn't do a particularly good job with it.

Been asked and answered a couple of times I think. Last page maybe?

Sometime during the Mercer era?

Sir Talbot Buxomly

Been asked and answered a couple of times I think. Last page maybe?

Sometime during the Mercer era?

Cheers. :stooge_moe:

I'll miss that old stand.

It must have been unbelievably impressive when it was built.

Anyone have family who worked on the construction?

Francis Albert

One things for sure. The new stand will not look as good after twenty years or maybe even ten as the old one does after over a century. It wasn't an expensive stand by Leitch's stands but the brickwork was certainly built to last and still looks pretty much good as new. The new school across the road is beginning to show signs of deterioration in the materials and colours unsuited to the Edinburgh climate, and some of the windows which though smaller look like they may be similar in design to the large glass frontage of the new stand.

Some snaps from lunch time today when the sun was briefly out.

All the buildings are now down, just the rubble to clear:

bfef40d6e3.jpg

bfef48fcd1.jpg

bfef5189cc.jpg

bfef6061f9.jpg

bfef69904e.jpg

bfef74d849.jpg

bfef7f1321.jpg

bfef8664ec.jpg

Great photos. There's a lot of rubble to clear. That will be a hell of a lot of lorry loads to get rid of that lot.

Hackney Hearts

One things for sure. The new stand will not look as good after twenty years or maybe even ten as the old one does after over a century.The new school across the road is beginning to show signs of deterioration in the materials and colours unsuited to the Edinburgh climate, and some of the windows which though smaller look like they may be similar in design to the large glass frontage of the new stand.

Is that for sure? Isn't the front of the new stand virtually all glass? Which is nothing like the new school.

One things for sure. The new stand will not look as good after twenty years or maybe even ten as the old one does after over a century. It wasn't an expensive stand by Leitch's stands but the brickwork was certainly built to last and still looks pretty much good as new. The new school across the road is beginning to show signs of deterioration in the materials and colours unsuited to the Edinburgh climate, and some of the windows which though smaller look like they may be similar in design to the large glass frontage of the new stand.

That's subjective. Personally, I prefer modern design so each to their own. We won't be using the same colours as Tynecastle High so I'm not sure that's relevant to us.

It's lovely to see the entire old stand emerging from the shadows and although the iconic brickwork has stood the test of time, the roof looks a bit scabby and many of the windows are boarded up and there are various scars/pipes/cables/extensions that has compromised some of its integrity. 

The new stand will look magnificent next year, and in years to come.

J.T.F.Robertson

Great photos. There's a lot of rubble to clear. That will be a hell of a lot of lorry loads to get rid of that lot.

Get some volunteers. ;)

Francis Albert

Is that for sure? Isn't the front of the new stand virtually all glass? Which is nothing like the new school.

I said some of the school windows though smaller looked of similar design to the curtain wall glass of the new stand which looks like a lot of 70s and 80s office block glass (much larger than the school windows I referred to but also split by smallish metal or plastic frames). That has often not worn very well.

Francis Albert

That's subjective. Personally, I prefer modern design so each to their own. We won't be using the same colours as Tynecastle High so I'm not sure that's relevant to us.

It's lovely to see the entire old stand emerging from the shadows and although the iconic brickwork has stood the test of time, the roof looks a bit scabby and many of the windows are boarded up and there are various scars/pipes/cables/extensions that has compromised some of its integrity. 

The new stand will look magnificent next year, and in years to come.

My point was really the (I think unarguable one) that modern buildings are not built to last as well as older buildings were. We'll see how the new stand looks in one hundred years!

Which look better (traditional vs modern) is as you say subjective. Personally I go for the New Town over most Edinburgh buildings built since.

But I wasn't suggesting a Georgian new stand!

Edited by Francis Albert

jamboinglasgow

My point was really the (I think unarguable one) that modern buildings are not built to last as well as older buildings were.

Which look better is as you say subjective. Personally I go for New Town over most Edinburgh buildings built since.

It all comes down to what those wanting to build it, are they want it cheap which means they will use materials that are cheaper but less durable or do you pay more early on so that maintenance is cheaper. To me the council will always build schools for the cheapest amount as they will be criticsed if they go for the more expensive option (even if it works out cheaper in the long run.) I am sure Ann has weighed all the cost basis up and will want to keep maintenance costs low (aim of the new stand is to provide greater annual income to the club, if thats getting swallowed up by the cost of upkeep due to using poorer materials then we are just hurting ourselves. Plus, as mentioned on this thread, we are using firms that are run by Hearts fans to help with costs. If you own a firm and your a big Hearts fan, you would want to make  sure your product supplied is the highest quality.

My point was really the (I think unarguable one) that modern buildings are not built to last as well as older buildings were. We'll see how the new stand looks in one hundred years!

Which look better (traditional vs modern) is as you say subjective. Personally I go for the New Town over most Edinburgh buildings built since.

A little suggestion of your immortality.   :toff:

Francis Albert

The old stand was also bit of a bargain. I think it cost about ?4000, still enough to nearly bankrupt the club back then. In today's money that equates to about ?120,000 compared to nearly 10 times that for the new stand. Of course the new stand is twice the size and has a lot more and better stuff in addition to the seats, and maybe construction costs have increased by faster than general inflation ... but still.

This is not a criticism of the new development in any way ... just an observation and compliment to the old girl.

The old stand was also bit of a bargain. I think it cost about ?4000, still enough to nearly bankrupt the club back then. In today's money that equates to about ?120,000 compared to nearly 10 times that for the new stand. Of course the new stand is twice the size and has a lot more and better stuff in addition to the seats, and maybe construction costs have increased by faster than general inflation ... but still.

This is not a criticism of the new development in any way ... just an observation and compliment to the old girl.

Old stand has a cheaper throw on roof with supports obstructing views (though it was the norm then). I imagine the new stand roof (and other stands) aren't cheap, especially the main truss and pylons

I think the old girl looks a bit shit and shabby to be honest.

She certainly looks better outside than in, but will have great memories when she goes

Francis Albert

Oops a couple of errors. The current cost of ?11m equates of course to about 100 times not 10 times ?4000 in 1914. And the final cost of the old stand was in fact over ?12,000, so that makes the new stand "just" 30 times more expensive.

(Major cost over-runs with the old stand, lots of disputes, and unclear whether Hearts ever paid up in full).

The Festival Theatre on Nicolson Street has a glass frontage and must be 20 years old, how's that looking these days?

The guy is just negative about everything, ridiculous.

Oops a couple of errors. The current cost of ?11m equates of course to about 100 times not 10 times ?4000 in 1914. And the final cost of the old stand was in fact over ?12,000, so that makes the new stand "just" 30 times more expensive.

(Major cost over-runs with the old stand, lots of disputes, and unclear whether Hearts ever paid up in full).

Why on earth did you tell Green Ginger that? We'll never hear the end of it ...