New Stand: Ongoing work (updated)

Clerry Jambo

Left to right: Jim Jefferies, Stuart Cribbes ?, Graham Shaw, Eamonn Bannon, Malcolm Robertson, Walter Kidd, Donald Park & John Gallacher, Lawrie Tierney, Jackie Smyth, Willie Gibson, Ian Black, Bobby Prentice, David Johnston & Donald or Ian McLaren. Season 1977-78?

John Gallacher very back, right hand side?

The Celtic main stand dates from the 60s/70s.

The Celtic stand is a bit like Trigger's brush in Only Fools and Horses......everything's been changed but it's still the same stand....somehow !

troonmaroon

Be interesting to know the actual pitch size back then. The track used to be massive on the stand side.

66ab6aa27bff7fbe4954e2410a0c7622.jpg

I didn't know the tunnel was much more offset from the centre originally! Noticed a doorway in some of the demolition pictures in about the same place and wondered what it had been. Guess was moved as part of work to add media seating and the lounge.

Edit: in fact, you could still see some of the old tunnel/wall, prior to demolition! (Just next to, behind steward in that pic.) Cool.

I'm clearly trying to avoid the KL thread... Argh.

a6c41a03c56362404212ec76cbf18a39.jpg

Edited by troonmaroon

Unknown user

I think the point was since the all seater rules came into force in the 90s when most clubs had to build new stands or stick seats in old sheds or open terraces.

Ah fair enough, I didn't realise we were talking about since the 90s

Are ourselves and Hibs the only Scottish clubs to have completely rebuilt on our old site?

Others have put seats in and built covers, or moved location.

I take it you mean in terms of selling and building a new stadium, such as St Mirren or Hamilton?

How far back are you talking, because we haven't always played at the current site of Tynecastle :thumbsup:

zoltan socrates

I take it you mean in terms of selling and building a new stadium, such as St Mirren or Hamilton?

How far back are you talking, because we haven't always played at the current site of Tynecastle :thumbsup:

Hibs neither, we played them to open fester rd in 1893, the result of that gsme was quite remarkable

Fort Vallance

Cracking set of Adidas Sambas front and centre :)

Cant believe Bobby Prentice is at the front. Obviously not a Monday morning.

sairyinthat

Gave up on the glazing have they? Or have the posters given up posting pictures of the development  for auld team photies from oatcake.

Gave up on the glazing have they? Or have the posters given up posting pictures of the development  for auld team photies from oatcake.

Glass going in as you rant.....er...speak. :tiny:

I didn't know the tunnel was much more offset from the centre originally! Noticed a doorway in some of the demolition pictures in about the same place and wondered what it had been. Guess was moved as part of work to add media seating and the lounge.

Edit: in fact, you could still see some of the old tunnel/wall, prior to demolition! (Just next to, behind steward in that pic.) Cool.

I'm clearly trying to avoid the KL thread... Argh.

a6c41a03c56362404212ec76cbf18a39.jpg

I only just noticed the fact we moved the tunnel from those pictures as well. Glad you posted, thought I was going mental - never heard about that before. I'd never heard about the old glass box in lower T for deaf or blind folk either until a few days ago. 

It would be fantastic if we good get pics of the old stand in all her guises. What year did they build the John Robertson lounge and when did the old box in T disappear? 

SwindonJambo

I only just noticed the fact we moved the tunnel from those pictures as well. Glad you posted, thought I was going mental - never heard about that before. I'd never heard about the old glass box in lower T for deaf or blind folk either until a few days ago. 

It would be fantastic if we good get pics of the old stand in all her guises. What year did they build the John Robertson lounge and when did the old box in T disappear?

The tunnel was centred in 1987, to extend the seated (Northern) half of the Main Stand Enclosure to the half way line. The Southern half remain terraced a little longer, then had seats installed in 1990. The whole enclosure was then shrunk in size quite drastically in 1994, to accomodate the Wheatfield stand. I'm sure there are photos of that a few pages back.

IMG_0031_zpskf1scykz.jpg

When I use the truck or car to get some size perspective of the stand it looks small.

When I use the people working on it looks absolute massive. 

John Findlay

Looks like Jim Jeffries at the back, Bobby prentice leading the way, who is the tall guy in the middle of the pack?

Cammy Fraser

WalterWhite

You know what i would love to see the war memorial at Haymarket moved to outside the front of the new main stand .

gorgie rd eh11

You know what i would love to see the war memorial at Haymarket moved to outside the front of the new main stand .

No thanks.

Forza Cuore

It's in the perfect place just now and should remain there.

NO never ever. It is sited where it is at the busiest junction in town so people can pass every day and remember. The location was picked 95 years ago by the survivors of that generation it would crass to usurp their choice.

Shit it appears I have been caught by a troll I can only cite currently packing for the Contalmaison pilgrimage tomorrow for my mistake.

Edited by brownkg

John Findlay

Nope John, it's Lawrie Tierney.

Fair enough. Though both look as ugly as each other:-0)

sairyinthat

Just passed for the first time in ages...

3d2954af78acc70c0770ff4bb7288a25.jpg

74026a23be1c05cd3797a3c2499331c7.jpg

02283567514682fb869f61e6eb47f2fe.jpg

60fc269061a735051023feadeb9df0b8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take it you were Kep In Mr S. Good Job.

William H. Bonney

I just went past tynecastle and I saw a taxi driver sitting outside. Was it you Mr sifter?

If it was you look awfy familiar. Do you know a guy with the initials MD who emigrated to Norway?

I just went past tynecastle and I saw a taxi driver sitting outside. Was it you Mr sifter?

If it was you look awfy familiar. Do you know a guy with the initials MD who emigrated to Norway?

Big Spaghetti Dalgetty? Nah, no me mate :-)

Should've said hiya, I'll talk to any auld random me!

Take it you were Kep In Mr S. Good Job.

Kept masel in mate. Hard sesh at The Roses on Sat left me scared to leave the hoose for near four days. Feelin a bit better now tho :-)

I can see the writing inside the heart.

"Austin McPhees maroon and white army"

Yep, can see that as well, definitely says that!

Just passed for the first time in ages...

3d2954af78acc70c0770ff4bb7288a25.jpg

74026a23be1c05cd3797a3c2499331c7.jpg

02283567514682fb869f61e6eb47f2fe.jpg

60fc269061a735051023feadeb9df0b8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Becoming quite the photo angler Mr S.

:thumbsup:

Captain America

I know all is good with us at the moment but this thread nearly dropping off 1st page isnae really acceptable.

:gfy:

Lucille's Thirsty

I love the side shots of the stand give the glass a look a can't describe.

29f029e43c4e32b659b63b56c7c657d7.jpgfd5db461a26dc40bdea5a0ed8e32ac71.jpgd90fc0e4086a82f11c5157e4aff285dc.jpg8d31b99d88020148c4d2efae26cb6d39.jpg979ccb3ed4dfa31a3e147826b197ad66.jpg

Can't have this thread falling off the front page :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great guy Mikey, his auld man too. Edited by dannymack

TyphoonJambo

A thing of real beauty, the way , he reflections merge the old flats into it is a work of genius. Going to be great. Saving now for a trip to that sky bar.

A thing of real beauty, the way , he reflections merge the old flats into it is a work of genius. Going to be great. Saving now for a trip to that sky bar.

Sky Bar? Are we putting an extra 45 storeys on top?