Youth Cup Final; Hearts v Motherwell.

maroonlegions

There is no doubt that these young laddies are good footballers, you don't get to clubs like Hearts by being average. But we seem to coach being a footballer out of our youngsters.

There is no doubt that we are coached at all age groups to play the same style as that looked as clueless as the first team have on many occasions.

Like the first team we have no one who can drive forward in the middle of the park.

A Hartley/Cameron type of player is no longer wanted at Hearts imo.

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Malinga the Swinga

The motherwell boys have probably been together as a squad for 2 years plus. Our team has not.

Rebuilding will continue but could take a few more years before we really see any benefits.

nope, according to the vocal minority on here, it is instant wins or else everyone should be sacked. If they had watched the half time interviews, they would have seen Motherwell have been working with these players since they were around 12, with their school academy they operate. They have played together for years, been working on drills together for about 5 or 6 years, whereas we have not because we were decimated by admin.

How on earth we are supposed to have sorted about 8 years of destruction in 2 years? All resources were aimed at first team in order we could get promotion. It will take a longer period of time to resolve the youth system. Why can't people just accept we were a mess and it will take time.

August Landmesser

Congratulations to the Motherwell youngsters, a well deserved victory.

The Hearts youngsters can take pride in themselves for reaching the final with a far younger team than most of the other clubs at this level.

I look forward to a time where we can field strong teams at all youth levels. The rebuilding after administration will take a few more years, but I'm confident we'll get there and the club will benefit from it in the future.

Sad when people are using a youth team to have a pop at Levien and Neilson.

Agreed

Sent from my LG-H340n using Tapatalk

Getintaethem

How much did we turn down for Mcghee?

We didn't turn down anything. Middlesbrough offered something in the region of ?600k but made an erse of the paperwork and it was too late for the deal to go through. I believe there is a verbal agreement from them to honour the deal in the summer, we'll see if it happens.

alicante jambo

Lot of young boys out there.Some will learn from this some wont.The lad mcdonald at 14 will never forget his night out at hampden.Well better team only zanatta got pass marks the rest including mcghee no.

Well done to the fans who made the journey through to support the boys tonight, unfortunately you were served up rubbish

That lad Baur looks poor. Maybe a bad night?

Slow and soft for a defender.

Liked his distribution early on but at present way too slow and soft to look good enough

Malinga the Swinga

Back to the drawing board, Hearts, not one of our guys outside Zanatta look to have any natural footballing ability, that's worrying.

what a stupid stupid post, but then again, no surprise unfortunately. On the basis of 90 minutes, you have written off everyone bar 1 player. Included in that write off was a 14 year old boy. Do you really want to chuck him on scrap heap at 14? In a few years time, you will probably be posting on here asking why we let these guys go, as some do about Cummings.

Dalstonjambo

There you go Anne another incompetent coach at the club. Looks like that hibs cup tie again. Not got a clue how to play against teams in our faces. Isn't that so Robbie?!

Please tell me this is sarcasm?

August Landmesser

nope, according to the vocal minority on here, it is instant wins or else everyone should be sacked. If they had watched the half time interviews, they would have seen Motherwell have been working with these players since they were around 12, with their school academy they operate. They have played together for years, been working on drills together for about 5 or 6 years, whereas we have not because we were decimated by admin.

How on earth we are supposed to have sorted about 8 years of destruction in 2 years? All resources were aimed at first team in order we could get promotion. It will take a longer period of time to resolve the youth system. Why can't people just accept we were a mess and it will take time.

You're talking too much sense. Mhad rhobbie ohoot, jhohn dhaly too.

Feck the yhouth theam... Etc etc.

Jkb at times... :facepalm:

Sent from my LG-H340n using Tapatalk

Like the first team look dreadfully ponderous and lacking in drive and passion away from home.

6 wins in 18 for the first team and emptied at Fester.

3 wins in 15 and battered at Hampden for the U20's.

Much work to be done and improvement required.

All roads lead to Gorgie

It was a contrast in styles, you could see we were trying work the ball into the box whilst Motherwell were just driving at the box and didn't mind if they lost it as it was obvious our passing was wayward and more opportunities would come for them. Similar to the first teams on Saturday infact but those in Maroon tonight are just learning the game so we should cut them some slack.

John Findlay

Direct from Hampden. Well done Motherwell. The better team. Simple as that. Commiserations to Hearts but, we were outplayed. That' football. Always next season.

I wonder if Daly is enjoying being told how the team will play.

That's what he signed up to.

Pretty stupid to set your second team to play differently from your first is it not?

Jambof3tornado

I thought Daniel looked decent. Plenty to build on all over the park.

A lot of these lads will never make the 1st team and we are a few years behind motherwell squads wise.

Still hoped our bigger players would have stepped up a bit more.

They will all be hurting and will remember for a long time the feelings of losing a final, hopefully enough to push them on next time.

Sherbet, on 27 Apr 2016 - 8:59 PM, said:

IT appears that taking short free kicks to players who are marked is not exclusive to the first team. The youngsters are making the same basic mistakes as the experienced players. Obviously being coached the same way throughout the club

not just free kicks but when played out from the back, playing short passes down the left when there were 3 Motherwell players closing down yet Hearts players unmarked over on the right

grumpyespana

I was looking for more from Zanatta he only had about a ten minute spell late in the game sorry but he is mile away from the first team.

Grumpy

The Apprentice

Disappointing performance but some of the comments on this thread, Deary me!

It is going to take a long time for our youth system to sort itself out after the events over the past few years. That statement doesn't wash with posters on here with regards to the first team progression, but the reality is guys like McLean, Henderson, Moore, Howlett-Mundle (granted he wasn't there) and even Zanatta were brought in to supplement the U20's squad this season. You can bet that's why they've had that young Bulgarian lad up on trial. That Motherwell side will have been together for a few years at least which is a massive advantage.

The work being done at youth level won't start to show for a few years yet, when we start getting the best kids in at a younger age. Whether people like it or not, since the new coaching team have come in there has been major change with more youth coaches being appointed and an influx of players at all levels. Personally I think we've done well to get to the final this season, the league form shown by the U20's this season shows there is still a lot of work to be done.

The cheap shots at Robbie and the rest of the coaching staff this evening has been quite laughable really.

Malinga the Swinga

Please tell me this is sarcasm?

Unfortunately not. Since Mrs B and Craig decided not to renew Locke's contract, several posters on here have been out to mak emischief. When the young team got their deserved marching orders, several more were upset and when Mrs B made statement about behaviours at Tynecastle, several more became upset as they like to behave as if we are in 1970.

Fair play to Motherwell, they look to be doing a good job with their young guys, head and shoulders above us.

The destroyed youth system prior to the complete rebuild required brought through Walker, Holt, Nicholson, King, King, Paterson, McHattie etc.

Of course youth football is going to usually be cyclical but on tonight's evidence it looks like a while before any players of that calibre come through.

loveofthegame

We were poor tonight and no one jumped out as being first team ready but what's funny is if our 20s had gone out in round 2 to say, Falkirk, nothing would be said.

Instead the lads lose in the final (ie have been good enough to get all the way to Hampden) and get slaughtered all because it's been televised.

I was looking for more from Zanatta he only had about a ten minute spell late in the game sorry but he is mile away from the first team.

Grumpy

Stop signing off as grumpy, we can see your username.

grumpyespana

Not happy that we got beat but I enjoyed the game the best team won on the night.

Grumpy

gowestjambo

It was like watching the first team play - poor ball control, poor passing and little closing down.

If that is the future, we better still be looking abroad for players!

Accepted Motherwell have been together longer, but you have either got or you have not - it looks like most have not.

Geoff Kilpatrick

There is no doubt that these young laddies are good footballers, you don't get to clubs like Hearts by being average. But we seem to coach being a footballer out of our youngsters.

There is no doubt that we are coached at all age groups to play the same style as that looked as clueless as the first team have on many occasions.

Like the first team we have no one who can drive forward in the middle of the park.

The irony of this post given Levein built his sides around Hartley and Cameron.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Stop signing off as grumpy, we can see your username.

Tonight we are all Grumpy !!!!!!!

It was a contrast in styles, you could see we were trying work the ball into the box whilst Motherwell were just driving at the box and didn't mind if they lost it as it was obvious our passing was wayward and more opportunities would come for them. Similar to the first teams on Saturday infact but those in Maroon tonight are just learning the game so we should cut them some slack.

Agree.There was also a different attitude. The Motherwell team were much more streetwise, disputing decisions, blocking quick free kicks and taking time over goal kicks when under pressure. We may have lost but I preferred our overall demeanour and approach to the game.

Few decent players in that well team tonight, hopefully Robbo was saying give us a call when he was shaking their hands at the end :)

Geoff Kilpatrick

:tim:

Getting worked up over a youth team game is quite tragic really.

fabienleclerq

That lad Baur looks poor. Maybe a bad night?

Slow and soft for a defender.

Your having a bad night, the boy looks very good when ive watched him.

I wish this game wasn't on the tv, grown men queuing up to rip into 17 year olds.

That's what he signed up to.

Pretty stupid to set your second team to play differently from your first is it not?

Pretty stupid to set all your teams up to play a way not suited to these players.

Pretty stupid to set up all your teams to play one way only.

Pretty stupid to bring in up and coming coaches and then try and change them.

Not going to take too much for opposition managers to work us out if we are set up to play one way.

The way Robbo talked, it will make no odds who the manager is, Neilson (who I don't want sacked btw) or AN Other will have to adopt the Levein way. Don't dare try and bring in other ideas you think may suit the players at your disposal, that is not part of the plan.

I'm all for having a continuity between the age groups etc but there has to be flexibility and we are not seeing much of that.

We have played better this season when being in other teams faces, taking the game to opposition (very rarely from the start of a game but sometimes when chasing a game), the players look happier playing this way and the fans seem to enjoy it more but we always end up back to square one in the next match playing the way all our teams have been taught to play.

FarmerTweedy

What a load of garbage!

All roads lead to Gorgie, on 27 Apr 2016 - 9:18 PM, said:

you Grumpyed-It :tiny:

All roads lead to Gorgie

Agree.There was also a different attitude. The Motherwell team were much more streetwise, disputing decisions, blocking quick free kicks and taking time over goal kicks when under pressure. We may have lost but I preferred our overall demeanour and approach to the game.

It is a sad fact of todays game but the Well players are probably closer to first team football because they are streetwise in the dirtier side of things !

Kirky Jambo

Didn't think we were that bad tbh. Smith looks a very good player and Zanatta has something about him. Wasn't McLean's day unfortunately.

Cadden was better than most of our first team on Sat and they have a few other useful players, but the score flattered them a bit.

All roads lead to Gorgie

you Grumpyed-It :tiny:

I do grumpy well as all my mates will testify !

MacDonald Jardine

Agree.There was also a different attitude. The Motherwell team were much more streetwise, disputing decisions, blocking quick free kicks and taking time over goal kicks when under pressure. We may have lost but I preferred our overall demeanour and approach to the gamearrow-10x10.png.

Aye who cares about winning as long as we don't upset anybody?

What a load of garbage!

2 years under Levein and we are still waiting, no sign of that type of player tonight either.

Wide men, ball winning central midfielders are what we have/get, sometimes we will play someone to play off the forward.

Where is this midfielder who will collect the ball and drive into the box centrally? Djuam about the closest we have and that is stretching it.

Well deserved by Motherwell, hard lines to the Hearts players but we looked a bit robotic all game.

The Motherwell players did seem to have a better team bond,spirit and togetherness about them.[/quo

Guys we were gash, second best in every single department except prancing around with silly haircuts

Unfortunately I had money on us after seeing our team but they either didn't fancy it or rag are themselves as above it

I saw the last final and I honestly think we had a better squad then than now

All roads lead to Gorgie, on 27 Apr 2016 - 9:26 PM, said:

I do grumpy well as all my mates will testify !

:2thumbsup:

FarmerTweedy

The irony of this post given Levein built his sides around Hartley and Cameron.

Well said. Unfortunately, some posters on here just want to hurl abuse at Levein, because of their personal dislike of him and have no interest in whether they've a valid point to make or not.

Congratulations to the Motherwell youngsters, a well deserved victory.

The Hearts youngsters can take pride in themselves for reaching the final with a far younger team than most of the other clubs at this level.

I look forward to a time where we can field strong teams at all youth levels. The rebuilding after administration will take a few more years, but I'm confident we'll get there and the club will benefit from it in the future.

Sad when people are using a youth team to have a pop at Levien and Neilson.

Using comments made by Robbo to highlight flaws in our coaching.

Archived