Youth Cup Final; Hearts v Motherwell.

maroonlegions

Goldstone Wonder

Nothing to do with cup run (check out their league position btw), i dont take too much notice of youth cup runs/league positions /results as imo it is all about developing at that age. Want them to do well yes, but dont get to upset over defeats.

Tonight though we were told what many people on here have tried to deny, that the team/club is set up to play Leveins way, it dosent matter who the coach is.

I love my team winning and support them through thick and thin but dont mind on fans forum with fellow Hearts fans debating merits of things happening at the club. Imo Levein/Neilson/Budge/players do great things and also get lots wrong (so do the fans when making these views, myself included) and these good/bad things can be debated, but you cannot see anything wrong with Levein whatsoever, which is creepy as im sure Levein would acknowledge some mistakes.

This statement would have more credibility if it wasn't for the fact that I've been on kickback since 2002 and you have had a personal beef with Levein ever since I've been on here. It's nothing to do with style of football. You just don't like Craig Levein. Time to just come clean and accept it.

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are just young laddies but so us the motherwell team who have had an easy match. 3 flukey goals and a decent strike but they've looked better organised too.

Not sure how it came over on the tv but at the game it seemed Motherwell had far more confidence in their shape and trust in their players.

On the whole they kept their shape and discipline and confident of winming their individual defensive battles to allow their front guys to concentrate pretty much on attack.

We ran around a lot. And pretty aimlessly for most parts.

It might just have been an off day. Liam Smith a prime example. Who is far better than his performance last night suggests.

Not exactly encouraged by that. What I did notice though is the overall standard was pish poor. And some people want to play the youth team for the rest of the season

:facepalm:

Your a bellend lewis, hes 17 made a mistake for the first, made a save for the 3rd but it broke to them but you will know this as you were

watching it on TV and would have seen a million angles, while others were actually there watching it.

As someone said previous, hes already achieved more in football than you ever have or will, you stick to meltdows and leave the kids alone.

Well done to Well tonight thourghly deserved win.

What a terrible Hearts fan i am not getting away from work early on a Wednesday evening to travel through to Glasgow to watch a youth team game that is on the TV, shame on me.

The error for the first was horrendous, all he had to do was catch the ball, the third he got a weak hand to, it wasn't a save, it was a cross he made a ***** of, I'll make judgements on the players just like anyone else, not too bothered if it upsets you tbh, the only player who looked like he belongs in football last night was Zanatta.

Club is rotten from bottom to top. Only 3rd in the league and runners up in a youth cup. Sack everyone and bring back Malofeev

#phoodlehasn'tevenapologised

Gambo raging at a youth team game.

Ffs - chill out man.

We get that you hate Levein. He's here for at least another 3 years so I'd advise getting a coping mechanism.

Gambo not raging at anything to do with this game.

First paragraph, you don't care about results at youth level but 'check out their league position'. :s

Check out first line of that paragraph.

I don't take MUCH notice. Someone posted the league table after a recent youth match.

Start reading what I say instead of seeing Gambo-Levein.

Do you think what we have witnessed on the pitch this season with the players we have is the only way forward?

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Thoroughly enjoyable game and just what's expected at that level.

Hopefully a few of the youngsters fullfil potential and make the step up.

Well played Motherwell and Hearts.

Thoroughly enjoyable game and just what's expected at that level.

Hopefully a few of the youngsters fullfil potential and make the step up.

Well played Motherwell and Hearts.

Sorry, I thought quite the opposite. A poor game with too many basic mistakes totally lacking passion, zest and improvisation. Zanatta who was the Hearts player looking most likely to score was played out wide when he might have been better employed as a central attacker for the last half hour. Some of the passing game in the early stages looked good but there was no cutting edge to finish off with and no obvious plan how we were going to score goals. Even with an experienced player like McGhee in central defence we struggled to cope with a fairly ordinary looking Motherwell team. Overall pass marks to McGhee and Zanatta and the rest should try to learn from this experience and use it to improve their game.

Didnt like the look of the Motherwell manager and was tired of seeing him spouting venom at his players and scowling at everyone, he alone made me wish we could have thrashed them.

The Treasurer

Obviously a disappointing result.

Unlike some posters I didn't think there was that much between the teams although Well just about deserved to win, mainly because they took their chances.

I would say most of their goals came from poor defending, not just a goalkeeper error.

Up front our players seemed to lack the confidence to have a go, unlike the Well forwards.

Overall I would say there definitely promise from a few of our lads but, unfortunately, there is also one or two that last night will be the highlight of their careers.

Still a decent achievement to get to the final of the national cup competition.

Disappointing for the young lads to lose but people on this thread seething or writing players off when they're seeing them play for the first time. FFS!:lol:

Off topic but Dom Thomas is quality in football manager too!

The Internet

Disappointing for the young lads to lose but people on this thread seething or writing players off when they're seeing them play for the first time. FFS!:lol:

Off topic but Dom Thomas is quality in football manager too!

Seething and writing players off after seeing them for the first time? Sounds like normal Hearts fan behaviour tbh.

avhudtheteeshirt

Was a great pity we lost to the better team, but that is football for you.

I felt we were looking at the new Dundee United when we scored the second.

The way they kicked the ball away in front of the referee at our free kicks, thrown ins took 3 players touching the ball?

Goalkeeper took a age for bye kicks, at one point the referee went into the box, I thought to caution the keeper, just told him to hurry up so the keeper picked up the ball and took it to other side of the 6 yard box?

I do think that Motherwell fully deserved the win, but it could have been done without all the time wasting and histrionics, and the referee for the future looks bleak!!! 

Most of the lads on both sides looked stressed and tense. Sad day when youngsters cant enjoy their big day and play with enthusiasm and flair.

I thought Zannata did ok but it is there for all to see that he is too lightweight for the big boys right now.

The man who loved beer

Most of the lads on both sides looked stressed and tense. Sad day when youngsters cant enjoy their big day and play with enthusiasm and flair.

Perhaps this is what separates the ones who'll make it from the ones who won't. That ability to perform on the big occasion.

letsalldothebeattie

It was a disappointing night for the young lads. A defeat is never easy to take especially in a final and especially a heavy one like that. The lads will learn and move on from it. The right ones will use it as motivation. You can see we lack depth in the 20s but as Robbo said on Alba that's hopefully coming in the next year or two

Also credit to Motherwell played some good football and thoroughly deserved to win the final.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was a great pity we lost to the better team, but that is football for you.

I felt we were looking at the new Dundee United when we scored the second.

The way they kicked the ball away in front of the referee at our free kicks, thrown ins took 3 players touching the ball?

Goalkeeper took a age for bye kicks, at one point the referee went into the box, I thought to caution the keeper, just told him to hurry up so the keeper picked up the ball and took it to other side of the 6 yard box?

I do think that Motherwell fully deserved the win, but it could have been done without all the time wasting and histrionics, and the referee for the future looks bleak!!!

Watched Motherwell and Dunfermline earlier in season. They seem trained and set up to follow the Scottish template.

Physical, determined etc. Ref was lenient on the gamesmanship last night. Surprised the boy who kicked the ball away at free kick wasn't booked though ref was lenient on some of the Hearts fouls. Probably trying to avoid a sending off tbf.

A couple of things that should of been out into practice, Roy should if started so should mckirdy , defence was not good , need worked on, also final ball and corners were terrible .

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

avhudtheteeshirt

Watched Motherwell and Dunfermline earlier in season. They seem trained and set up to follow the Scottish template.

Physical, determined etc. Ref was lenient on the gamesmanship last night. Surprised the boy who kicked the ball away at free kick wasn't booked though ref was lenient on some of the Hearts fouls. Probably trying to avoid a sending off tbf.

Have got to agree with you, although we have tall player in the team they are not yet developed across the shoulders.

More of their players looked very near playing in their first team, we on the other hand had to many players small in stature and build so easy to move off the ball.

I also noted Craigan really telling his players to dig in and close down our possession, Jon Daly just seemed to let it all go without as much as a murmer?

Think some people on here need to have a real reality check. THIS IS DEVELOPMENT FOOTBALL not the Champions League. Hearts tonight started with a very young side supplemented with some players who had some 1st team experience and up until the 1st goal were in control of the game. The 2nd goal is no one's fault, a deflection sends the keeper the wrong way, no one at fault.

The 2nd half was a mirror of the 1st, Hearts decent on the ball but Motherwell hitting on the break.

Now the harsh reality is that Herats team is considerably younger than the Motherwell one, these boys will learn form it and YES they wont all make it, but that happens at every club in the world. Are the coahces looking for 10 players to come through, 5 players, or is it the more likely 1 or 2. The coaches who are there work with these boys every day\week of the year, they see them in training and matches and all the time they try to push them, try to take them out of their comfort zone, try to make them solve problems like size, strength, skill, speed and come up with the solutions.

Reading through these posts people talking abotu the Academy on it's knees, no talent comingh through, scrap the lot...that is nonsense and those people should go and lie down in a dark room. I am telling you 1st hand there is real talent at the academy. There have been huge changes in the last year in the way things work and it is starting to produce players, very very good payers. Hearts tonight took a chance on a very young boy, not because they thought it would be anice experience for him, they did it becasue he can play, really play. Maybe tonight was a little too much but he only gave the ball away once in the 25mins he was on the pitch, not bad for someone who has "no talent". This boy has also represented Scotland at a year above his own age. Too many people on ehre think that age and size are everything, the dark ages are gone, there needs to be more than that.

Maybe instead of slating these boys that you dont know, you should put on your coat and go to Riccarton and watch them play, watch how they compare against other teams and then you are in a position to voice an opinion, not one based on a single match.

Age isnt a discriminator, if it was teh likes of Keiran Tierney at Celtic would still be playing u20's football, Wayne Rooney would never have burst onto the scene at Everton, Giggs, Scholes etc at Utd, Michael Owen at Liverpool....all young players who were given the chance and were supported when it didnt go theoir way as it does with young men...too much negativity around this one game.

MAYBE TIME TO SUPPORT YOUR YOUNG PLAYERS INSTEAD OF GIVING THEM GRIEF.

Goldstone Wonder

Think some people on here need to have a real reality check. THIS IS DEVELOPMENT FOOTBALL not the Champions League. Hearts tonight started with a very young side supplemented with some players who had some 1st team experience and up until the 1st goal were in control of the game. The 2nd goal is no one's fault, a deflection sends the keeper the wrong way, no one at fault.

The 2nd half was a mirror of the 1st, Hearts decent on the ball but Motherwell hitting on the break.

Now the harsh reality is that Herats team is considerably younger than the Motherwell one, these boys will learn form it and YES they wont all make it, but that happens at every club in the world. Are the coahces looking for 10 players to come through, 5 players, or is it the more likely 1 or 2. The coaches who are there work with these boys every day\week of the year, they see them in training and matches and all the time they try to push them, try to take them out of their comfort zone, try to make them solve problems like size, strength, skill, speed and come up with the solutions.

Reading through these posts people talking abotu the Academy on it's knees, no talent comingh through, scrap the lot...that is nonsense and those people should go and lie down in a dark room. I am telling you 1st hand there is real talent at the academy. There have been huge changes in the last year in the way things work and it is starting to produce players, very very good payers. Hearts tonight took a chance on a very young boy, not because they thought it would be anice experience for him, they did it becasue he can play, really play. Maybe tonight was a little too much but he only gave the ball away once in the 25mins he was on the pitch, not bad for someone who has "no talent". This boy has also represented Scotland at a year above his own age. Too many people on ehre think that age and size are everything, the dark ages are gone, there needs to be more than that.

Maybe instead of slating these boys that you dont know, you should put on your coat and go to Riccarton and watch them play, watch how they compare against other teams and then you are in a position to voice an opinion, not one based on a single match.

Age isnt a discriminator, if it was teh likes of Keiran Tierney at Celtic would still be playing u20's football, Wayne Rooney would never have burst onto the scene at Everton, Giggs, Scholes etc at Utd, Michael Owen at Liverpool....all young players who were given the chance and were supported when it didnt go theoir way as it does with young men...too much negativity around this one game.

very well said.

Got stuck at work and missed the Orwell bus (sorry Trained One) so had to make do with TV. Turned out a decent game in the end.

As a team, Under 20's very similar to first team, lovely slick passing football at times, but lack tempo and some real killer instinct.

Motherwell looked a decent young team, I expect to see a few players from each side in their respective first teams over the coming weeks.

Credit to the fans who went, especially the Motherwell fans who made a fair racket. Not everyone's cup of tea, but it would've buoyed the young lads to see people supporting them.

It isn't unusual to come on Kickback and be left shaking your head at the state of the majority some of the posts but this thread is next level.

A classic of the genre. 

john brownlee

I I did enjoy the game, disappointed that we didn't win, I wouldn't say the best team won as both had different types of quality. There was skill on both sides but to me Motherwell won because they were much more street wise. To prove that you just have to look at their coaching staff......all bruisers. However well done lads in getting to the final, your day will come I'm sure

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can understand those criticising and those defending the players. These are young lads who are developing, and will hopefully improve for the experience.

I just didn't see a single player who physically looked way ahead of this level (McGhee at a push), or in terms of ability stood out above everyone else. When you look back at how obvious it was that the likes of Kevin Thomas and Stephen Simmons were ahead of everyone else at that level, I didn't see any similarities last night. Maybe that's because the standard of that level has improved across the board, or maybe we don't have anyone quite there yet.

I can understand those criticising and those defending the players. These are young lads who are developing, and will hopefully improve for the experience.

I just didn't see a single player who physically looked way ahead of this level (McGhee at a push), or in terms of ability stood out above everyone else. When you look back at how obvious it was that the likes of Kevin Thomas and Stephen Simmons were ahead of everyone else at that level, I didn't see any similarities last night. Maybe that's because the standard of that level has improved across the board, or maybe we don't have anyone quite there yet.

We were giving away a lot of years. Some of our players have another 4 years at this level.

We were giving away a lot of years. Some of our players have another 4 years at this level.

True. The 14yr old that came on looked pretty good. Maybe we just need to be patient. McGhee did not look a cut above the rest though, which was a disappointment.

I I did enjoy the game, disappointed that we didn't win, I wouldn't say the best team won as both had different types of quality. There was skill on both sides but to me Motherwell won because they were much more street wise. To prove that you just have to look at their coaching staff......all bruisers. However well done lads in getting to the final, your day will come I'm sure

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jon Daly is the ultimate bruiser.

True. The 14yr old that came on looked pretty good. Maybe we just need to be patient. McGhee did not look a cut above the rest though, which was a disappointment.

can see why McGhee isn't getting much first team action as he looked very ordinary good free kick but could have done better with 3rd goal as he lost his man at back post plus left the back line exposed when charging up park to take quick free kick which resulted in wells counter attack for 5th goal rush of blood to the head similar to Aberdeen handball

can see why McGhee isn't getting much first team action as he looked very ordinary good free kick but could have done better with 3rd goal as he lost his man at back post plus left the back line exposed when charging up park to take quick free kick which resulted in wells counter attack for 5th goal rush of blood to the head similar to Aberdeen handball

400k we turned down for this humpty.

Huge mistake.

jamboinglasgow

Great post. Completely agree.

The worst thing we can do is keep playing McGhee, his price tag must drop by the thousands every time he makes an appearance, better selling him as the unknown wonderkid he once was, maybe Juve will swoop in for him this summer, Chiellini is getting on a bit now.

The worst thing we can do is keep playing McGhee, his price tag must drop by the thousands every time he makes an appearance, better selling him as the unknown wonderkid he once was, maybe Juve will swoop in for him this summer, Chiellini is getting on a bit now.

McGhee is certainly not the player most expected him to develop into in the last season or two and most probably realise this fact now. But certainly decent enough to have a career in Scotland.

If you look at players like Garry Kenneth, Darren O' Dea, Andrew Considine, Mark Reynolds, Sean Dillon, Ross Tokely, Gary Caldwell, Steven Anderson, Conrad Balatoni, etc who have all stole a career in Scotland's top flight then you can clearly see you don't need a lot of technical talent and abilty to "make it" in the defensive ranks of Scottish professional football.  

Barring injury problems, It would be difficult for someone like MaGhee not to make a comfortable career in Scotland for 10-15 years at least.

I've said before on here, but I suspect McGhee's head has been filled with nonsense by his agent from a very early age. Hence the stories in the press since pretty much around the time he made his first team debut.

If he goes down south now, he'll be back up at a Killie sized club within a year.

It's probably worth remembering McGhee is younger than a large number of guys who played on both sides the other night.

He's not progressing smoothly but he's clearly still got a long way to develop. I think he'll leave as his head is being turned,which is a pity as I still feel he can be a very good player in the future.

It's probably worth remembering McGhee is younger than a large number of guys who played on both sides the other night.

He's not progressing smoothly but he's clearly still got a long way to develop. I think he'll leave as his head is being turned,which is a pity as I still feel he can be a very good player in the future.

I agree its a pity if he leaves, one of his biggest problems is the dross amongst our support who jump at every opportunity to slag off our players. He is showing signs he has risen above being bothered about them but I think they may have had a negative effect on his feelings towards Hearts as a club, I hope not.

I agree its a pity if he leaves, one of his biggest problems is the dross amongst our support who jump at every opportunity to slag off our players. He is showing signs he has risen above being bothered about them but I think they may have had a negative effect on his feelings towards Hearts as a club, I hope not.

In terms of unfair judgement I'd say the people claiming he was great creating unrealistic expectations were the ones more at fault. Don't hear much from these people now.

Still could be a good player but needs a few more years to develop. Could do that Hearts but more likely in England.

But he has been a valuable part of our squad this season and overall has done okay.

You may well be right. I simply don't trust him anymore though. The Hibs penalty was a shocker, the Aberdeen penalty the craziest thing I've seen in a long time. Have no faith in his decision making under pressure anymore.

KineticBeat

I think he has had his head turned by his agent and will be away in the Summer to go and play in some Championship teams reserves.

Francis Albert

Agree with the rest but I think encouraging some of those on this thread to go to Riccarton to "support" the youngsters is a terrible idea.

Not helped by his agent filling his head.

Not helped also by not being good enough just now to hold down a settled position and being used as a stop gap left back, right back, centre back, midfield.

If he stay he needs to try and concentrate on making one position his own as he is still young enough to improve imo.

Not helped by his agent filling his head.

Not helped also by not being good enough just now to hold down a settled position and being used as a stop gap left back, right back, centre back, midfield.

If he stay he needs to try and concentrate on making one position his own as he is still young enough to improve imo.

Aye, agree with all of that.

Knuckle down, do your talking on the park and show you deserve to be a starter.

Not sure that'll happen, in fact I doubt it now, but he's got lots of time on his side.

For those who watch the u20s regularly, what's the score with Howlet-Mundle. Doesn't seem to have featured much. I presume he'll be one that's on the way out at the end of the season? One year deal signed last year from memory.

The reality is that in any 20z squad, there are maybe 4 who have a chance and of that 1 or 2 might do something. The attrition rate is huge. All these boys have something, but it's generally not quite enough.

Archived