******The Official EUROPEAN ( merged ) Thread******

Statto

peter_hmfc

From the teams that have qualified and will be unseeded for the 1st qualifying round, here is the distances from Edinburgh to the nearest city;

(distance in miles)

Omagh, Northern Ireland - 187

Cardiff, Wales - 309

Cork, Republic of Ireland - 353

Torshavn, Faroe Islands - 439

Luxembourg, Luxembourg - 586

Andorra La Vella, Andorra - 953

Bratislava, Slovakia - 1,014

Riga, Latvia - 1,041

Tallinn, Estonia - 1,055

Helsinki, Finland - 1,063

San Marino, San Marino - 1,079

Budapest, Hungary - 1,112

Vilnius, Lithuania - 1,119

Sarajevo, Bosnia - 1,266

Podgorica, Montenegro - 1,369

Gibraltar, Gibraltar - 1,372

Skopje, Macedonia - 1,464

Valletta, Malta - 1,616

Tbilisi, Georgia - 2,342

Yerevan, Armenia - 2,401

Baku, Azerbaijan - 2,598

Anything over 2,000 miles would be pretty brutal to get to.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/distances.html?n=304

Suddenly a trip to the Faroe Islands must look pretty enticing to some.

:pleasing:

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Be careful what you wish for. If you are seeded in QR2 you could end up with Kairat Almaty, who will be unseeded and who knocked Aberdeen out in QR3 this season.

They'll be the toughest team in that round, better than the top seeds. Their midfield consists of Andrey Arshavin and Anatoliy Tymoshchuk, plus a smattering of handy Brazilians and Gohou up front. And the fact it's 3500 miles away.

You'll also have next to no chance of being seeded in QR3, while Aberdeen were this season after being paired with Rijeka then taking their seeding (though then met the unseeded and aforementioned Kairat), although depends on what you want - a realistic chance of making the group stages or a cracking away day in Europe against Hertha Berlin or AC Milan.

If we make the Round 2, we have a 97% chance of drawing someone other than Kairat Almaty.

If we were unseeded in Round 2, we'd have around a 30-40% chance of drawing a team of a high enough seeding to be seeded (e.g. Maribor, Partizan Belgrade) in the following round and then we'd have to beat them, which isn't particularly likely.

Even then, if Hearts get to Round 3 and are unseeded, we'd have almost as good a chance of drawing one of the seeded teams like Maribor or Partizan Belgrade in that round as we would have in the previous round had we been unseeded.

To put it more simply there's just as much chance of:

Round 2: being seeded and drawing someone like Linfield

Round 3: being unseeded and drawing someone like Partizan Belgrade;

as there is of:

Round 2: being unseeded and drawing someone like Partizan Belgrade

Round 3: being seeded and drawing a relatively strong unseeded team, as Aberdeen did last year.

I doubt many people would say the second scenario is an easier path.

You can clutch at straws all you like but there's no doubt, objectively, that being seeded in the second round gives us a better chance of progressing as far as possible.

La_Leyenda

If we make the Round 2, we have a 97% chance of drawing someone other than Kairat Almaty.

If we were unseeded in Round 2, we'd have around a 30-40% chance of drawing a team of a high enough seeding to be seeded (e.g. Maribor, Partizan Belgrade) in the following round and then we'd have to beat them, which isn't particularly likely.

Even then, if Hearts get to Round 3 and are unseeded, we'd have almost as good a chance of drawing one of the seeded teams like Maribor or Partizan Belgrade in that round as we would have in the previous round had we been unseeded.

To put it more simply there's just as much chance of:

Round 2: being seeded and drawing someone like Linfield

Round 3: being unseeded and drawing someone like Partizan Belgrade;

as there is of:

Round 2: being unseeded and drawing someone like Partizan Belgrade

Round 3: being seeded and drawing a relatively strong unseeded team, as Aberdeen did last year.

I doubt many people would say the second scenario is an easier path.

You can clutch at straws all you like but there's no doubt, objectively, that being seeded in the second round gives us a better chance of progressing as far as possible.

All true, however Red Star Belgrade - likely to be the third highest seeds in QR2 - were thumped 4-1 on aggregate last season by Kairat Almaty in QR1.

Maribor, the top seeds in QR2, were knocked out of Europe by Astana, another side from Kazakhstan.

My points being..

- avoid Kairat Almaty at all costs (I'll hold you personally responsible if Hearts get them).

- in my opinion, the top seeds in QR2 are beatable. There's not a single team there I'd fear. Groningen and Rijeka were both good teams and we knocked them out. To get to the group stages you're going to have to knock someone good out at some point - catching them cold in QR2 and hoping the draw does you a favour in QR3 (which it hasn't done for us the past two years) and you could be in the play-off round.

Lithuania please, Vilnius is a fantastic wee city.

Edit: Would we need to watch out for angry pensioners?

Gorgie_Rules

All true, however Red Star Belgrade - likely to be the third highest seeds in QR2 - were thumped 4-1 on aggregate last season by Kairat Almaty in QR1.

Maribor, the top seeds in QR2, were knocked out of Europe by Astana, another side from Kazakhstan.

My points being..

- avoid Kairat Almaty at all costs (I'll hold you personally responsible if Hearts get them).

- in my opinion, the top seeds in QR2 are beatable. There's not a single team there I'd fear. Groningen and Rijeka were both good teams and we knocked them out. To get to the group stages you're going to have to knock someone good out at some point - catching them cold in QR2 and hoping the draw does you a favour in QR3 (which it hasn't done for us the past two years) and you could be in the play-off round.

To be honest its all irrelevant when you look at the strength of the sides on the play-off round (the round we faced Liverpool and Tottenham)

The state the Scottish co-efficient is in, 2 ties as a seeded team ideally to favourable places then a big team in the sunshine would be decent. Until the co-efficient improves and Scottish clubs start performing like the size of clubs they are in Europe (i.e. Celtic and Rangers) we can forget the groups. To think a club the size of Hearts or Aberdeen could knock out one of them seeded teams in play off round with a budget at least 4 or 5 times larger is crazy talk

La_Leyenda

To be honest its all irrelevant when you look at the strength of the sides on the play-off round (the round we faced Liverpool and Tottenham)

The state the Scottish co-efficient is in, 2 ties as a seeded team ideally to favourable places then a big team in the sunshine would be decent. Until the co-efficient improves and Scottish clubs start performing like the size of clubs they are in Europe (i.e. Celtic and Rangers) we can forget the groups. To think a club the size of Hearts or Aberdeen could knock out one of them seeded teams in play off round with a budget at least 4 or 5 times larger is crazy talk

Just a few examples from last season's play-off round.

Midtjylland knocked out Southampton.

Atletico Bilbao only knocked Zilina of Slovakia out on away goals after drawing 3-3 on aggregate.

Dynamo Minsk took Salburg to penalties.

It can be done.

jambo-rocker

Just a few examples from last season's play-off round.

Midtjylland knocked out Southampton.

Atletico Bilbao only knocked Zilina of Slovakia out on away goals after drawing 3-3 on aggregate.

Dynamo Minsk took Salburg to penalties.

It can be done.

So you are saying that in the one out of three extreme examples, it can be done.

Watt-Zeefuik

So you are saying that in the one out of three extreme examples, it can be done.

It won't happen every season, so we need to be having a kick at the ball every season, and with a bit of magic break through every so often.

If the likes of Qarabag and Gabala can make it to the group stages unseeded, what (other than a run of bad luck in the draw) makes us think we can't?

jambo-rocker

It won't happen every season, so we need to be having a kick at the ball every season, and with a bit of magic break through every so often.

If the likes of Qarabag and Gabala can make it to the group stages unseeded, what (other than a run of bad luck in the draw) makes us think we can't?

Because since the four qualifying stages have came about, the only teams to do it are

Fulham 2011/12

Twente, Rosenborg 2012/13

Tromso (got put out then re-instated) 2013/14

Gabala 2014/15

Bare in mind there are usually 90+ teams entering from the 1st every season. Qarabag had least had the good fortune of a shite Celtic team papping them out in the CL group stages beforehand.

It's like we're saying we put a man on the moon, ergo we can put one on Mars too. I'm not saying it will never happen, but we need a ridiculous number of things to go our way for it to happen. I'd love us to be in the group stages as much as the next fan, but maybe just enjoy our trips and take anything beyond the third qualifying as a bonus?

In fairness, my beef is with the hoops we have to jump through just to get the playoff rounds, never mind the group stages.

Watt-Zeefuik

Because since the four qualifying stages have came about, the only teams to do it are

Fulham 2011/12

Gabala 2014/15

Bare in mind there are usually 90+ teams entering from the 1st every season. Qarabag had least had the good fortune of a shite Celtic team papping them out in the CL group stages beforehand.

It's like we're saying we put a man on the moon, ergo we can put one on Mars too. I'm not saying it will never happen, but we need a ridiculous number of things to go our way for it to happen. I'd love us to be in the group stages as much as the next fan, but maybe just enjoy our trips and take anything beyond the third qualifying as a bonus?

In fairness, my beef is with the hoops we have to jump through just to get the playoff rounds, never mind the group stages.

The Scotland coefficient is currently about as bad as it is ever going to get.  We're paying for the years of Motherwell sucking up places and doing faceplants every time. (and, yes, the absence of the Ibrox menace.) A competent Aberdeen and some good runs from us will start rebuilding that, and in 3-4 years I expect Scotland to be getting back towards the levels with more advanced qualifying.

West Jambo

Surely the dozen or so page European thread that already exists was suitable for this?

peter_hmfc

Right now it looks as though our only hope of passing the 3rd qualifier is to draw a team that later gets throw out for match fixing, rioting, financial difficulties, etc, such as Differdange 03 and Dila Gori benefitted from.

For that reason, I hope we're heading to Greece.

Gorgie_Rules

Fulham 2011/12

Gabala 2014/15

Spot on, thats also the same gripe I have from my original post.

It's partly self inflicted (Scottish clubs, SFA/SPFL collectively) and partly the system being set up to shaft clubs that are smaller.

We have dropped 12 places in the rankings in the last decade, only Latvia (14) are worse in that time, across all of Europe.

scott herbertson

Surely the dozen or so page European thread that already exists was suitable for this?

Gives those of us who like counting things something to do before the season starts again

I'm in!

West Jambo

I know it doesn't matter but with Sevilla winning last night we were 1 to spare in getting seeded for the 2nd round.

Salzburg also 1 up already in Austrian cup final so that could be 2 clear. Comfy in the end!!

Still no prospect of being anywhere near seeded for 3rd round no matter.

When is the draw taking place?

A wee trip to Dublin or Wales would be a great draw

Agreed and Man Unt in the group stages.

West Jambo

1st and 2nd round draw both on 20th June.

1st round ties: 30th June & 7th July

2nd round ties: 14th July & 21st July

1st and 2nd round draw both on 20th June.

1st round ties: 30th June & 7th July

2nd round ties: 14th July & 21st July

Are we away first being seeded or does the draw determine that?

Going to Contalmaison for the anniversary so hopefully we're away on the 7th. Away to New York on the 19th as well so could do with that one being away first!

Gorgie_Rules

Are we away first being seeded or does the draw determine that?

Going to Contalmaison for the anniversary so hopefully we're away on the 7th. Away to New York on the 19th as well so could do with that one being away first!

Draw determines it for 1st and 2nd round (both 20th June)

Does anybody know if thats the case for 3rd round too or does seeded team get home 2nd leg?

peter_hmfc

Good news everyone! Kosovo has been fast-tracked to UEFA membership so some of you could be heading to Kosovo next month, to either Pristina or Drita depending on who wins their cup final!

So eh... have fun with that.

Draw determines it for 1st and 2nd round (both 20th June)

Does anybody know if thats the case for 3rd round too or does seeded team get home 2nd leg?

earlier in the thread someone mentioned (i think statto) that becuase we would be seeded in the second round our home leg would be second.

wheatfield to sheffield

From the teams that have qualified and will be unseeded for the 1st qualifying round, here is the distances from Edinburgh to the nearest city;

(distance in miles)

Anything over 2,000 miles would be pretty brutal to get to.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/distances.html?n=304

Thank you for this Statto - 

ok, for the Friday fun of it - here it is with my distances from where I live now to all of those places

Omagh, Northern Ireland ? 187       4776

Cardiff, Wales ? 309                        4680

Cork, Republic of Ireland ? 353        4885

Torshavn, Faroe Islands ? 439        4606

Luxembourg, Luxembourg ? 586     4312

Andorra La Vella, Andorra ? 953      4653

Bratislava, Slovakia - 1,014             3836

Riga, Latvia - 1,041                         3558

Tallinn, Estonia - 1,055                    3561

Helsinki, Finland - 1,063                  3564

San Marino, San Marino - 1,079      4095

Budapest, Hungary - 1,112              3750

Vilnius, Lithuania - 1,119                  3493

Sarajevo, Bosnia - 1,266                  3806

Podgorica, Montenegro - 1,369        3740

Gibraltar, Gibraltar - 1,372               5150

Skopje, Macedonia - 1,464              3665

Valletta, Malta - 1,616                      4104

Tbilisi, Georgia - 2,342                     2465

Yerevan, Armenia - 2,401                2466

Baku, Azerbaijan - 2,598                  2189

Geography credits to the first one of you who can work out where i live.

Clue - it's not Sheffield any more

Riddley Walker

ok, for the Friday fun of it - here it is with my distances from where I live now to all of those places

Kuala Lumpur?

Kathmundu

Dubai?

Ferryjambo99

Omagh, Northern Ireland ? 187 4776

Cardiff, Wales ? 309 4680

Cork, Republic of Ireland ? 353 4885

Torshavn, Faroe Islands ? 439 4606

Luxembourg, Luxembourg ? 586 4312

Andorra La Vella, Andorra ? 953 4653

Bratislava, Slovakia - 1,014 3836

Riga, Latvia - 1,041 3558

Tallinn, Estonia - 1,055 3561

Helsinki, Finland - 1,063 3564

San Marino, San Marino - 1,079 4095

Budapest, Hungary - 1,112 3750

Vilnius, Lithuania - 1,119 3493

Sarajevo, Bosnia - 1,266 3806

Podgorica, Montenegro - 1,369 3740

Gibraltar, Gibraltar - 1,372 5150

Skopje, Macedonia - 1,464 3665

Valletta, Malta - 1,616 4104

Tbilisi, Georgia - 2,342 2465

Yerevan, Armenia - 2,401 2466

Baku, Azerbaijan - 2,598 2189

Kathmandu?

Edit, someone already said Kathmandu

We_are_the_Hearts

Mars?

CollyWolly

Dallas, Texas ?

scratch that. Has to be in Asia.

Mumbai ?

Why the hell is Omagh getting listed??

Unsure. Surely Lurgan is what was meant.

edit - can't choose Lurgan on that site. Lisburn or Belfast would have been closer choices.

CollyWolly

Think it is Dubai, been googling distances and it fits.

Cardiff to Dubai is 3500 miles. Wherever he is is 4680 away from Cardiff

He could be in Afghanistan ?? EDIT Nope not far enough. India or possibly China I think

Cardiff to Dubai is 3500 miles. Wherever he is is 4680 away from Cardiff

I assumed he meant Kilometres.

Russia?

CollyWolly

I assumed he meant Kilometres.

I assumed miles but your right it is kilometres

Riyadh ??

Nigeria also fits.as does Khazakstan

Dubai is too far IMO

Why the hell is Omagh getting listed??

I was checking Glenavon, they're the only Northern Irish club confirmed as unseeded in the 1st round. Looks like I've confused Armagh and Omagh.

CollyWolly

I assumed miles but your right it is kilometres

Riyadh ??

Nigeria also fits.as does Khazakstan

Dubai is too far IMO

I have ruled a few out and I am left with either Egypt or Russia

wheatfield to sheffield

Kathmundu

• Well done happyjam and the two others who got that I am now wheatfield to Sheffield to Kathmandu! Some other good ideas there too! So I   am hoping for Azerbaijan 1st round butwill be in Edinburgh for 2nd round 1st leg (14 Jul) if we get there!

Riddley Walker

• Well done happyjam and the two others who got that I am now wheatfield to Sheffield to Kathmandu! Some other good ideas there too! So I am hoping for Azerbaijan 1st round butwill be in Edinburgh for 2nd round 1st leg (14 Jul) if we get there!

Damn, I didn't see 2 others had got it previously, thought I'd cracked it myself.

Dallas, Texas ?

scratch that. Has to be in Asia.

Mumbai ?

Auchendinny.

Just add an extra mile for every year they're behind the rest of the world.

Archived