******The Official EUROPEAN ( merged ) Thread******

Statto

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Watt-Zeefuik

Hope to god we don't get shymkent. To put the distance into perspective, shymkent is nearer seoul than edinburgh

Holy peas, that's incredible.

This has probably been done to death, but WTF is Kazakhstan doing in UEFA anyway?

Ferryjambo99

Holy peas, that's incredible.

This has probably been done to death, but WTF is Kazakhstan doing in UEFA anyway?

According to uefa part of Kazakhstan is in Europe, much like russia. So even kazakh teams in Asian territory can compete. Theoretically teams in russua that are near alaska and north korea could compete which would be a very weird prospect

Gene Parmesan

According to uefa part of Kazakhstan is in Europe, much like russia. So even kazakh teams in Asian territory can compete. Theoretically teams in russua that are near alaska and north korea could compete which would be a very weird prospect

I believe any country that is in part west of the Ural can claim to be part-European and therefore eligible to join UEFA.

peter_hmfc

Genuinely wonder what would happen if the likes of a Welsh or Irish team on a massively lower budget were to draw a team from somewhere like that. Aberdeen had to spend ?200,000 to rent out a private plane to get there, that would be a massive loss for a Welsh team.

Also wonder where Sammarinese, Andorran, etc, teams get the money to travel for an away game knowing they'll almost certainly get heavily beaten.

If it's any consolation, and as a random throwaway bit of football facts, it could be far worse. When Trelissac of France played in the 7th round of the French Cup, they were drawn away to Magenta of New Caledonia, a French colony. That's 21,000 miles for a French Cup match. Suddenly Inverness away doesn't seem as bad.

1489876.jpg

The_razors_edge

Just as well Vladivostok FC haven't qualified for Europe. Now THAT would be some trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peter_hmfc

Trelissac won 3-0 by the way if anyone cares, but it wouldn't let me edit that part in :lol: .

Gene Parmesan

Genuinely wonder what would happen if the likes of a Welsh or Irish team on a massively lower budget were to draw a team from somewhere like that. Aberdeen had to spend ?200,000 to rent out a private plane to get there, that would be a massive loss for a Welsh team.

Also wonder where Sammarinese, Andorran, etc, teams get the money to travel for an away game knowing they'll almost certainly get heavily beaten.

?200,000 for the first round. Not guaranteed to turn a profit off such a huge trip, but that'll help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Europa_League#Prize_money

We've travelled far, by bus and can, and sometimes we went by trans-Siberian-railway......

Ferryjambo99

Just as well Vladivostok FC haven't qualified for Europe. Now THAT would be some trip

Just the 5112 miles. Could probably get a coach

151 hours by car.

Tynecastle > England > France > Belgium > Netherlands > Germany > Poland > Belarus (20% of the journey complete) > Russia.

Watt-Zeefuik

FWIW Puerto Rico will again have a club in NASL this season, which will again put FC Edmonton in the same league with them, with 3500 miles as the crow flies between them.

The_razors_edge

Great draw for any Far East based jambos though

parisjambo

I believe any country that is in part west of the Ural can claim to be part-European and therefore eligible to join UEFA.

I worked in Atyrau in Kazakhstan for a while. The river that runs through the city is the boundary between Europe and Asia.

I'd walk across the bridge from my digs which were in Europe to go to the office in Asia.

wheatfield to sheffield

Great draw for any Far East based jambos though

Don't have to be in the far east - only 1339 miles for me, the distance from Edinburgh to Malaga. Very do-able as a drive. If the Himalayas and five international borders weren't in the way. Worried that I might not have enough loyalty points for my ticket though.

Don't have to be in the far east - only 1339 miles for me, the distance from Edinburgh to Malaga. Very do-able as a drive. If the Himalayas and five international borders weren't in the way. Worried that I might not have enough loyalty points for my ticket though.

Somehow I wouldnt think that would be an issue. Id imagine you could rake in a decent number of points just getting a ticket.

Eg inverness was (although midweek/friday) 6 so outer siberia /asia 10?

Worth noting and its a big if.

Assuming we draw an armenian team in round 1, beat them and get through round 2 we want to.avoid an azerbaijani team in round 3.

Due to their long standing stand off, the azerbaijanies dont like to let you enter the country if ur passport shows uve been in armenia.

Uefa doesnt allow the 2 countries to meet at any level or competition so wont be in round 2.

Aside from.the travel being long its a wee potential.hazard.

Just hope we get to round 3

West Jambo

So much comes down to luck of the draw. Going by seedings we should make 3rd round. But if we draw say a long trip to Ordabasy Shynkent (Kaz) then an up and coming strong side without much euro experience like a Piast (Pol) it looks much harder to get there.

In 3rd you could be very unlucky and get a Lille or be more fortunate and get a lower ranked team who put out an out-of-sorts seeded side.

So much comes down to luck of the draw. Going by seedings we should make 3rd round. But if we draw say a long trip to Ordabasy Shynkent (Kaz) then an up and coming strong side without much euro experience like a Piast (Pol) it looks much harder to get there.

In 3rd you could be very unlucky and get a Lille or be more fortunate and get a lower ranked team who put out an out-of-sorts seeded side.

I completely agree. I'm sure HJK Helsinki will be seeded in R3 and I'd fancy our chances against them likewise we could get a unseeded team from round 2 who puts out a seeded team thus on paper giving us an easier tie.

The reverse is there are some very hard looking unseeded teams in all rounds.

Dalstonjambo

I completely agree. I'm sure HJK Helsinki will be seeded in R3 and I'd fancy our chances against them likewise we could get a unseeded team from round 2 who puts out a seeded team thus on paper giving us an easier tie.

The reverse is there are some very hard looking unseeded teams in all rounds.

As someone who travelled to Helsinki regularly for work for 4/5 years and saw a lot of their games I think we'd beat them fairly easily. The fact they didnt even with the finnish league last season shows you they've fallen quite far. Pukki looked a world beater at that level, and there was even a certain Juho Makela doing a passable impression of a footballer again for a season or 2. 

What places do we all not want?

For me. Cork (was literally just there a few months ago), Northern Ireland, Luxembourg (been so many times)Wales, Georgia, Kosovo, Kazakhstan or Azerbaijan.  I will be extremely happy with any other destination.

If I had a wish list I would choose (in this order):

Malta (I?d make a holiday of it)

Lithuania (always fancied it)

Iceland (as above)

West Jambo

What places do we all not want?

For me. Cork (was literally just there a few months ago), Northern Ireland, Luxembourg (been so many times)Wales, Georgia, Kosovo, Kazakhstan or Azerbaijan. I will be extremely happy with any other destination.

If I had a wish list I would choose (in this order):

Malta (I?d make a holiday of it)

Lithuania (always fancied it)

Iceland (as above)

Yeah I'd be keen for somewhere random that not been before that still seems accessible and a good trip. So preference would be 1st round Lithuania or Faroes, 2nd round Liechtenstein.

onetruejambo

id prefer Kosovo, Bosnia, Slovakia or Slovenia myself. Going to Ireland, Wales etc would be boring, Europe is about going to crazy destinations which always turn out to be the best trips with the best memories!

The Treasurer

I want to go wherever the crappest team is

We can't be drawn against a team from the same country, so won't be heading to darkest leith

I've convinced myself its the Faroe Islands.

Checked flights, accommodation and pubs. Will fly out Monday back the Friday.

There won't be a team from Kosovo in the Europa League, the Cup winners failed licencing requirements and could not provide a suitable stadium.

There is no other changes to our potential 1st round opponents, the next highest CW on the access list was Maribor who were seeded in the 1st round, now entering the 2nd round to balance everything out.

Ferryjambo99

We can't be drawn against a team from the same country, so won't be heading to darkest leith

Damn. I was looking forward to the Costa del ocean terminal

Damn. I was looking forward to the Costa del ocean terminal

To be fair you coup easily be in Moldova down there.

Gorgie_Rules

Any ideas if any of those unseeded teams could be a potential banana skin? As in a club thats perhaps had money pumped into it and have a co-efficient that doesn't reflect their ability?

There are a few teams from leagues that would suggest they won't be pushovers but we'd have to be very unlucky to pull one. Odds are much more in favour of an "easy" tie.

Just been to Budapest and would be more than happy to draw MTK and go back again in a few weeks time.

Tallinn would be my preference, was there a couple of years ago, when I was in the main square, I had thought at the time that it would be perfect for a European trip, a massive area with a number of bars and restaurants surrounding it, good climate.

Heres Rixxy

What are all the dates for first few rounds?

I see that the first leg of first round is the same night as Euros quarter-final :S

What are all the dates for first few rounds?

I see that the first leg of first round is the same night as Euros quarter-final :S

20th June - Europa 1st and 2nd round draw

22nd June - Euro 2016 final group games

25th June - Euro 2016 last 16 (3 games)

26th June - Euro 2016 last 16 (3 games)

27th June - Euro 2016 last 16 (2 games)

30th June - Europa 1st round 1st leg

30th June - Euro 2016 Quarter Final

1st July - Euro 2016 Quarter Final

2nd July - Euro 2016 Quarter Final

3rd July - Euro 2016 Quarter Final

6th July - Euro 2016 Semi Final

7th July - Europa 1st round 2nd leg

7th July - Euro 2016 Semi Final

10th July - Euro 2016 FINAL

14th July - Europa 2nd round 1st leg

15th July - Europa 3rd round draw

21st July - Europa 2nd round 2nd leg

28th July - Europa 3rd round 1st leg

4th August - Europa 3rd round 2nd leg

5th August - Europa Play off draw

18th August - Europa Play off 1st leg

25th August - Europa Play off 2nd leg

Both 1st qualifying round games clash with a Euro 2016 game.

20th June - Europa 1st and 2nd round draw

22nd June - Euro 2016 final group games

25th June - Euro 2016 last 16 (3 games)

26th June - Euro 2016 last 16 (3 games)

27th June - Euro 2016 last 16 (2 games)

30th June - Europa 1st round 1st leg

30th June - Euro 2016 Quarter Final

1st July - Euro 2016 Quarter Final

2nd July - Euro 2016 Quarter Final

3rd July - Euro 2016 Quarter Final

6th July - Euro 2016 Semi Final

7th July - Europa 1st round 2nd leg

7th July - Euro 2016 Semi Final

10th July - Euro 2016 FINAL

14th July - Europa 2nd round 1st leg

15th July - Europa 3rd round draw

21st July - Europa 2nd round 2nd leg

28th July - Europa 3rd round 1st leg

4th August - Europa 3rd round 2nd leg

5th August - Europa Play off draw

18th August - Europa Play off 1st leg

25th August - Europa Play off 2nd leg

Both 1st qualifying round games clash with a Euro 2016 game.

This is where UEFA have it all wrong IMO. We could quite easily have players at these Euros that would therefore be ineligible for our qualifiers, that's not right at all. Really don't see why the qualifiers need to start so early, they could easily move the play-offs to late September and start the competition proper in October, meaning the first qualifier would be end of July.

Is the order of home and away leg set or is it draw dependent? I know we're seeded for the first two rounds...does that mean we play away first?

Is the order of home and away leg set or is it draw dependent? I know we're seeded for the first two rounds...does that mean we play away first?

It's random. We won't know for definite until it's confirmed on Tuesday 21st, the day after the draw.

August Landmesser

Less than a week to go, I hate wishing my life away, but I can't wait for next Monday!

SPFL fixtures released on Friday too...

It's random. We won't know for definite until it's confirmed on Tuesday 21st, the day after the draw.

Cheers.

feedtheroman2

Desperately want to get to an away game in Europe somewhere.

Having never followed Hearts in Europe before I think it would amazing!!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

draw starts 12.00

Nice one. Will be skiving work while that takes place

alicante jambo

Desperately want to get to an away game in Europe somewhere.

Having never followed Hearts in Europe before I think it would amazing!!! Im the same never been to an away euro game involving hearts.Im ready for this time though just hope its no khazakstan or somewhere mental.

Archived