• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• luckyBatistuta

• The Real Maroonblood

• ¼½¾

I know the name but can't place where the shop actually was.

Do you also remember Cowan Tailoring beside the ABC on Lothian Road?

College jerseys and Hi-waisters. :phface:

Yes there were two shops in South Bridge and two in Lothian Road, near the ABC. I worked in all of them in my time. Probably sold you the hi-waisters, Morgan

Nothing to do with Berry's at all. 

Also the programme shop near Easter Road is still there. Its in Albion Road and is run by Brian Johnson who is a very friendly Hibby. Alan Cunningham's shop was in Spittal Street near the Usher Hall. He also had a stall at Tynecastle. 

GC

Yes there were two shops in South Bridge and two in Lothian Road, near the ABC. I worked in all of them in my time. Probably sold you the hi-waisters, Morgan

Also the programme shop near Easter Road is still there. Its in Albion Road and is run by Brian Johnson who is a very friendly Hibby. Alan Cunningham's shop was in Spittal Street near the Usher Hall. He also had a stall at Tynecastle. 

GC

Thanks for that.

I'm still wearing the breeks to this very day :rolleyes:

Used to have a Saturday job in Jax menswear in Bread Street - sold more Levis, sta-press, crombie coats, harrington jackets and fluorescent socks than I care to remember.- Provi cheques being waved about with abandon.

Also in a past life  who can remember - (come on down) to Dodge City.

And for the older members - Kerrs coffee shop at Tollcross - first of the chic coffee houses I can remember - pine benches and all.

Great thread!! 

Allan's record shop, leven st

Cafe di Marco, brougham place

Antique furniture shop, corner tarvit St

Chippy, tarvit st.

Marys paper shop, lauriston place

Balfour bar

Book exchanges, junction st, Daley, easter road, Nicolson square.... Great for comics...

Haigs premier meats, fountain bridge

Spook market, tollcross

Fox's newsagent

Barley Bree, Morrison st.

Balfour bar , theres a blast ftp, we shared  a greyhound and named it after this fine establishment [balfour Lad] after Powderhall or the gaffs this was the meeting place to split the ?????winnings?????

Used to have a Saturday job in Jax menswear in Bread Street - sold more Levis, sta-press, crombie coats, harrington jackets and fluorescent socks than I care to remember.- Provi cheques being waved about with abandon.

Also in a past life  who can remember - (come on down) to Dodge City.

And for the older members - Kerrs coffee shop at Tollcross - first of the chic coffee houses I can remember - pine benches and all.

Great thread!!

Don't know Kerrs but recall the Three Coins next door to Leveys the jeweller.

Is Cecil Gee's still on the go? Used to be on either Frederick Street or Hanover Street.

It was in the StJames centre,about third shop in from south side entrance on east end side of centre. Great shop, I still have a suit of theirs, bought in London Shop, half price for ?375 in 1986.

Think the first record I bought there was Ant Music. The boy was throwing sausages :lol: Well now we know why that chippy shut down, glad I never used it.

Best arcade had to be Lothian road. What was the name of the game where four of you could play together and you had wizards, trolls etc and you could collect and use things like spells.

Gauntlet?

That arcade was LA Leisure.

It was called something else before that. On an earlier thread where the place was mentioned, I said I thought it was the Electronic Boutique; which I was told was something else, somewhere else. I'm thinking now it was maybe The Electronic Experience.

I know the name but can't place where the shop actually was.

Do you also remember Cowan Tailoring beside the ABC on Lothian Road?

College jerseys and Hi-waisters. :phface:

Haha, late 70's, got my sta-press and Y-cardy from there for my Quali dance at primary school finished off with the tassle slip on shoes.

Got some good loafers too out of Hoi Polloi on Rose St.

'Flip' up past Old College. Sure I bought some shan clothes from there in my youth.

I've got very vague memories of the village thing in what's now the White Lady in Corstorphine. Sure there was some guy who had a stall selling/swapping football stickers for the 86 World Cup.

'Flip' up past Old College. Sure I bought some shan clothes from there in my youth.

I've got very vague memories of the village thing in what's now the White Lady in Corstorphine. Sure there was some guy who had a stall selling/swapping football stickers for the 86 World Cup.

Flip of Hollywood, that's right, they had a couple of other wee shops up the stairs too. One of them was run by one of the Goughs from Pathhead iirc.

There was a sweet and ice cream shop that was on slateford road between the railway bridge and the viaduct -it?s now dominos pizza-that was called( and I just know Morgan?s gonna like this )

The Choclate Box ;)

Just along from Di Marcos (also opposite King Willie Bauld's old house). Used to go in there after Marcos or coming from the "Magwa".

Don't know Kerrs but recall the Three Coins next door to Leveys the jeweller.

I was at school with the son of the owners of the Three Coins.It was a cracking wee cafe.

I met my old school friend decades later in a professional capacity.He was at that time a very very senior officer in the ambulance service.

After a while chatting his junior colleague asked how we knew each other and quick as a flash I said we used to be lovers.

**** me was I in trouble.Suddenly no one had a sense of humour.Protracted and pernicious disciplinary action followed during which I sniggered like a 12 year old.

Nice to be business critical and not give a toss.

Seymour M Hersh

I remember looking enviously in the window of the Porsche showroom on George Street. And iirc there was was also a car showroom just past the Usher Hall on lothian road.

I remember looking enviously in the window of the Porsche showroom on George Street. And iirc there was was also a car showroom just past the Usher Hall on lothian road.

Glen Henderson Porsche and I think Alexanders were in Lothian Road.Think it may be Nandos now having been HMSO in the intervening years.

The successful Edinburgh based garage chain the EasternWestern Group started with a garage in George Street in what is now the Tyrwhitt and Lewin shops.

Just along from Di Marcos (also opposite King Willie Bauld's old house). Used to go in there after Marcos or coming from the "Magwa".

Yep , the Magwa , had the scariest Tarzan swing

Trendsetter supermarket at Chesser Avenue /Hutchison road , where the new shops are , was state of the art when it opened

I was at school with the son of the owners of the Three Coins.It was a cracking wee cafe.

I met my old school friend decades later in a professional capacity.He was at that time a very very senior officer in the ambulance service.

After a while chatting his junior colleague asked how we knew each other and quick as a flash I said we used to be lovers.

**** me was I in trouble.Suddenly no one had a sense of humour.Protracted and pernicious disciplinary action followed during which I sniggered like a 12 year old.

Nice to be business critical and not give a toss.

Lovers :lol:

Nope.

Led through to Cockburn Street and had Samuels the jeweller in it on the Bridges end.

That's North Bridge, and I think it was the imaginatively named North Bridge Arcade.  I'm sure it still has the sign up.

Edited by Lemongrab

The White Cockade

That's North Bridge, and I think it was the imaginatively named North Bridge Arcade.  I'm sure it still has the sign up.

did it not have a sports shop at Cockburn Street end?

That's it.

Sorry for the duff info.

Yep , the Magwa , had the scariest Tarzan swing

Trendsetter supermarket at Chesser Avenue /Hutchison road , where the new shops are , was state of the art when it opened

Trendsetter was where Santa got my Raleigh Grifter;-)

Aye Magwa Tarzan was some height - a mate put it up, you wouldn't have got me climbing up there. 10-15 lads all on at one time - it wouldn't last with 2 of us on there now;-)

The tarzan at Ford's Road, Saughton Park was the same - class.

GC

Cowans tailoring is that the store that started as American Mens Wear

On the east side of Lothian Road just down from Usher Hall was a Rossleighs motor cycle dealers, they sold all the makes and had for some time the Morgan sports car. The one already mentioned Alexanders was on the west side I think there was a coal station nearby.  I don't know if they are still around were a Ford dealer.

On the east side of Lothian Road just down from Usher Hall was a Rossleighs motor cycle dealers, they sold all the makes and had for some time the Morgan sports car. The one already mentioned Alexanders was on the west side I think there was a coal station nearby.  I don't know if they are still around were a Ford dealer.

Morgan sports car :sweeet:

Think the first record I bought there was Ant Music. The boy was throwing sausages :lol: Well now we know why that chippy shut down, glad I never used it.

Best arcade had to be Lothian road. What was the name of the game where four of you could play together and you had wizards, trolls etc and you could collect and use things like spells.

As a 16/17 loved galaxian and space invaders... Got my first girlfriend. Bloody hormones....... Never sweated at derbies after then.....that's why I give a bit of leeway to the young team at hearts......even the yesteryear casuals at hibs....

We were all young numpties !...once

luckyBatistuta

As a 16/17 loved galaxian and space invaders... Got my first girlfriend. Bloody hormones....... Never sweated at derbies after then.....that's why I give a bit of leeway to the young team at hearts......even the yesteryear casuals at hibs....

We were all young numpties !...once

Pretty much the same as all of that, but it took you 16yrs to get a girlfriend :wow:

Seymour M Hersh

Just found an old photo of the SMT dealership on the corner of Grindley St and Lothian Road (where the Nando's is now I think).

post-1316-0-45924300-1506854735_thumb.jpg

Just found an old photo of the SMT dealership on the corner of Grindley St and Lothian Road (where the Nando's is now I think).

attachicon.gif0_buildings_-_smt_sales_and_services_lothian_road.jpg

I had totally forgotten about that one, when I looked at the picture I was looking in the wrong direction, would the Shakespeare pub be on the other corne from there , and the Usher Hall close.

I had totally forgotten about that one, when I looked at the picture I was looking in the wrong direction, would the Shakespeare pub be on the other corne from there , and the Usher Hall close.

Yes Bob, That's Grindlay Street on the right, where the lamp post is.

I think you are right,between the Filmhouse and Caley Station coal depot?

I have a picture in my head of an Indian restaurant above it called "Babars".

I think you are right,between the Filmhouse and Caley Station coal depot?

I have a picture in my head of an Indian restaurant above it called "Babars".

Spot on with Babars.

I think it was just on the corner before where the Sheraton is now. Upstairs place I think.

Here is a photo showing Babars above I think McAndrew's Citroen showroom. The Filmhouse is to the left of Babars as you look at the photo.

post-586-0-93697000-1506877923_thumb.jpeg

Samuel Camazzola

Cameron Toll in the 80's and early 90's - Forbuoys, Fosters and Clydesdale Electrical. I think the Safeway store may also have been a William Low's before that.

Cameron Toll in the 80's and early 90's - Forbuoys, Fosters and Clydesdale Electrical. I think the Safeway store may also have been a William Low's before that.

God!

William Low's - that's a blast from the past.

Remember Coopers?

Samuel Camazzola

God!

William Low's - that's a blast from the past.

Remember Coopers?

Where was Cooper's and what did they sell?

Where was Cooper's and what did they sell?

A supermarket. Couldny say where they were though.

They were taken over by Fine Fare at some stage, (who sponsored the league in the mid to late 80s).

3fingersreid

Here is a photo showing Babars above I think McAndrew's Citroen showroom. The Filmhouse is to the left of Babars as you look at the photo.

Babar 1.jpeg

What was the Yankee Doodle shop in the picture ?

Bar Italia now I?m guessing

Edited by 3fingersreid

John Findlay

They became known as Cooper fine fare. There was one in Dalry Road that is now the Scotmid back in the 80s.