Old Edinburgh Shops From Yesteryear

Rudi-Robertson

What was the Yankee Doodle shop in the picture ?

Bar Italia now I?m guessing

Don't know what it is now, but seems to have had an American  influence over the years, at one time I suspect for the American airmen stationed at Kirknewton  it was laid out like an American night club as seen in the movies. The name Berkley sticks in the mind but may be wrong.

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• luckyBatistuta

• The Real Maroonblood

• ¼½¾

Ma Scobies on the corner of the Corstorphine High Street.

I was a regular there as a lad for my Sports Mixtures fix...

Ok Jonno. Here's some for you from Corstorphine.

Annette's - drapery shop on the corner of Station Road

Joseph's - grocers on Station Road

Dormac's - sweet shop on Station Road. (Was originally a hire shop for Dormobiles).

There was also a cobbler on station road next to Dormac's and it became a men's clothes shop. (And of course there was a railway station).

Vernon's Pools on Station Road.

Unknown user

God!

William Low's - that's a blast from the past.

Remember Coopers?

Wm low in Dalkeith was where I first saw the hibs takeover headlines, I'll never forget it!

What about the Green Shield stamp shop - Shandwick Place I think?

Yes.

And the Readers Digest shop on the corner of Hanover and George Street.

They became known as Cooper fine fare. There was one in Dalry Road that is now the Scotmid back in the 80s.

There was one in Morningside where the Post Office is now.

Wm low in Dalkeith was where I first saw the hibs takeover headlines, I'll never forget it!

Wallace was the man.

Yes.

And the Readers Digest shop on the corner of Hanover and George Street.

Hi Captain, going off track a little , you being in France n all that, 

any confessions like this?

my neighbours ask for the translation of songs all the time , a few years back , although I thought i was giving the correct translation??.

George Ezra  ?..Budapest

you   ooh ?. but for you ?ooh 

as I heard the next part was

BAH DEE DEE DONG      

knowing now the next line is ?. 'I d leave it all'

everytime I go to the local , all these chants of "BAH DEE DEE DONG" when our George is on and the obvious aftermath of ,what does "BAHDEEDEEDONG" mean? I still explain its sort of slang for "Id leave it all" does it work ?

The White Cockade

what was that supermarket at Wester Hailes - Presto?

the bookshop on George IV Bridge - Bauermeister?

been here before

what was that supermarket at Wester Hailes - Presto?

Aye Presto used to be in the shopping centre. Prior to that it was Ailsa. I have very, very vague memories of the little off licence bit that was down the stairs in the corner.

Where was Cooper's and what did they sell?

There was a cooper's in Musselburgh that then was fine fare as I used to get free tickets for the hearts games as brother worked there

The White Cockade

Aye Presto used to be in the shopping centre. Prior to that it was Ailsa. I have very, very vague memories of the little off licence bit that was down the stairs in the corner.

aye Ailsa and Presto

We used to get the bus there from Gracemount every Sunday to do the shopping

the bookshop on George IV Bridge - Bauermeister?

Yep.proper old school. There used to be an el chronically shop over the road called Browns. Another proper old school shop, old blokes in brown coats and the shop full of useful stuff.

luckyBatistuta

There was one in Morningside where the Post Office is now.

Ok, why don't I remember this. What year was that?

Ok, why don't I remember this. What year was that?

When the Rollers were at their 'height'.

There was a wee record shop just up from it, near the health food shop, and Woody (great looking?) and Eric were regulars there on a Saturday afternoon.

Remember, I'm about 6 or 7 years older than you! :wink:

luckyBatistuta

There was a wee record shop just up from it, near the health food shop, and Woody (great looking?) and Eric were regulars there on a Saturday afternoon.

I was kicking around at the time of the Rollers, but no recollection of this :sad:

Thanks for trying to jog my memory though auld yin :wink:

I was kicking around at the time of the Rollers, but no recollection of this :sad:

Thanks for trying to jog my memory though auld yin :wink:

No problem Whippersnapper.

You'll remember Murrays the bakers in Morningside Road then?

luckyBatistuta

No problem Whippersnapper.

You'll remember Murrays the bakers in Morningside Road then?

Hmmm,

Honestly mate, I really am getting worried that I've got early dementia.

Hmmm,

Honestly mate, I really am getting worried that I've got early dementia.

Seriously for a moment, I've seen you write this a good few times.

I sincerely hope you're not.

Murrays probably quit Morningside when you were still in Primary so hardly surprising you don't remember.

Cheers for your help with the pictures thing btw :thumb:

luckyBatistuta

Seriously for a moment, I've seen you write this a good few times.

I sincerely hope you're not.

Murrays probably quit Morningside when you were still in Primary so hardly surprising you don't remember.

Cheers for your help with the pictures thing btw :thumb:

Just done a new pic especially for you :2thumbsup:

Montgomery Brewster

Cameron Toll in the 80's and early 90's - Forbuoys, Fosters and Clydesdale Electrical. I think the Safeway store may also have been a William Low's before that.

It opened in 1984 as a Safeway. Willie lows stores were bought by Tesco.

Samuel Camazzola

It opened in 1984 as a Safeway. Willie lows stores were bought by Tesco.

Good knowledge. I do recall a Wm Low's up in Gilmerton around the 80's and 90's.

Montgomery Brewster

Good knowledge. I do recall a Wm Low's up in Gilmerton around the 80's and 90's.

Yes there quite a few low's dotted about. Strange how things go full circle - Aldi opens in Cameron toll this Thursday !

Why is scotmid always called the store?

It was originally St.Cuthberrts Co-operative. Back in the day places that sold food were local shops, the butcher, the baker, the grocer, the greengrocer, the dairy.. St. Cuthberts covered them all so effectively were a store rather than a shop, hence it became "the store"..... well that's my theory anyway!

N Lincs Jambo

Ok Jonno. Here's some for you from Corstorphine.

Annette's - drapery shop on the corner of Station Road

Joseph's - grocers on Station Road

Dormac's - sweet shop on Station Road. (Was originally a hire shop for Dormobiles).

There was also a cobbler on station road next to Dormac's and it became a men's clothes shop. (And of course there was a railway station).

Vernon's Pools on Station Road.

Living on Meadowhouse Road I remember all of those except Dormac's. Where exactly/when was that? Also do you remember Lawrie's toy shop on St John's Road?

We're there many Liptons about? I know there was one at. Newington, at the junction with Salisbury Road.

I think some of them might have become Templetons.

3fingersreid

Don't know what it is now, but seems to have had an American  influence over the years, at one time I suspect for the American airmen stationed at Kirknewton  it was laid out like an American night club as seen in the movies. The name Berkley sticks in the mind but may be wrong.

My dad as a young Scots Guardsman 1944/5 one of his "duties" he was given ,as he was a keen golfer ,was to be a caddie for an American officer who was playing a sergeant in the Guards , the American was based at Kirknewton

3fingersreid

Here is a photo showing Babars above I think McAndrew's Citroen showroom. The Filmhouse is to the left of Babars as you look at the photo.

attachicon.gifBabar 1.jpeg

Is that luckyBatistuta walking down Lothian road towards his taxi ;)

zoltan socrates

William Lows used to be Laws.

. It didnt, laws was bought over by wm lows in 1985 nine years later it was swallowed up by tesco

John Findlay

Name dropping here. I was in the same class as woody's wee brother for four years at secondary school. Great lad and a good Hearts man.

Cameron Toll in the 80's and early 90's - Forbuoys, Fosters and Clydesdale Electrical. I think the Safeway store may also have been a William Low's before that.

Used to work in that Forbuoys. A good Jambo also worked with me in there.

Edited by VladMagic

luckyBatistuta

Grants on the Bridges.

My dad worked for them

Donray.

The Orchard.

Red Shoes.

All in Morningside.

Were they, don't remember any of them :look:

Btw, get yourself over to the Where is this thread, I've posted one you'll like :thumb:

Living on Meadowhouse Road I remember all of those except Dormac's. Where exactly/when was that? Also do you remember Lawrie's toy shop on St John's Road?

Always preferred Gartons(?) further along St Johns Road. Just past the Centurion, replete with bronze centurion on wall, and Templeton "super"market.

Before The Neuk newsagents.

Yep.proper old school. There used to be an el chronically shop over the road called Browns. Another proper old school shop, old blokes in brown coats and the shop full of useful stuff.

There was also Baxendines down near Bristo Square.

N Lincs Jambo

Always preferred Gartons(?) further along St Johns Road. Just past the Centurion, replete with bronze centurion on wall, and Templeton "super"market.

Before The Neuk newsagents.

Didn't know Gartons either I'm afraid. Do you remember Drummond's TV shop? My late aunt worked there for several years up till she popped her clogs the day before Robbo knocked the tims out the cup Feb 87.

Edited by N Lincs Jambo

Didn't know Gartons either I'm afraid. Do you remember Drummond's TV shop? My late aunt worked there for several years up till she popped her clogs the day before Robbo knocked the tims out the cup Feb 87.

I'm sure I would,although escapes me at the moment. Where was it, on St John's Road?

N Lincs Jambo

I'm sure I would,although escapes me at the moment. Where was it, on St John's Road?

Yep on St John's Rd. Just had a quick gander on Google maps and the street view is showing what was Drummond's as now being part of Guitar Guitar

Dormac's' was next to the cobblers. They were between Vernons Pools and the Station. The owners were Dorothy and Mac, hence the name. They started off exclusively hiring dormobiles and when this was seen to be less than lucrative, diversified in to confectionery.

Lawrie' s I remember. How about Kirks the Baker; Pratts the Newsagent; Sharpes bicycle shop; Hoffman's the hairdresser.

Is Radio Rentals still around, my parents used to rent their TV there.

Pretty sure they are not Bob.

Is Radio Rentals still around, my parents used to rent their TV there.

Speaking of TV rentals - who remembers DER? think they had a shop on Gorgie Road at one time.