• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• luckyBatistuta

• The Real Maroonblood

• ¼½¾

I P Knightley

This post, talking about Phoenix Records and Sweet Inspiration...

These are the two that I immediately thought of when I saw the thread title. Many happy hours spent fumbling with the 12-inchers in those shops.

Did this pre-date Kenneth Williams or was he just not looking? 

This post, talking about Phoenix Records and Sweet Inspiration...

Did this pre-date Kenneth Williams or was he just not looking?

Sweet Inspiration, just round from the ABC?

I P Knightley

Sweet Inspiration, just round from the ABC?

That's the very one. 

Actually, I only really bought singles in there. 

When I started to look for 12 inchers instead of 7 inchers, I started to go up to Phoenix. 

That's the very one. 

Actually, I only really bought singles in there. 

When I started to look for 12 inchers instead of 7 inchers, I started to go up to Phoenix.

IMG_0748.jpg

Yes there were two shops in South Bridge and two in Lothian Road, near the ABC. I worked in all of them in my time. Probably sold you the hi-waisters, Morgan

Nothing to do with Berry's at all.

Also the programme shop near Easter Road is still there. Its in Albion Road and is run by Brian Johnson who is a very friendly Hibby. Alan Cunningham's shop was in Spittal Street near the Usher Hall. He also had a stall at Tynecastle.

GC

Brian used to be a decent bowler (cricket). Not a bad lad considering his poor choice of football team.

luckyBatistuta

What was the electric goods shop on Dalry road just before the bend on the right heading up from Haymarket. Remember being in a tv advert for them.

Montgomery Brewster

What was the electric goods shop on Dalry road just before the bend on the right heading up from Haymarket. Remember being in a tv advert for them.

Clydesdale

Cowans tailoring is that the store that started as American Mens Wear

Just spoke to my dad. Yes, when the shops first started they branded themselves as Cowan Tailoring, American Menswear. Good memory, Bob !!

GC

luckyBatistuta

Clydesdale

Thought I was going to instantly recognise the name, but nup. Was it called anything else?

Seymour M Hersh

I appreciate I'm a little off topic here but was driving up Abbey Mount this morning (I see even more student housing has sprung up where the Chathams was) I it got me thinking there used to be a cinema/theatre half way up and a night club/function suite next door. Can anyone remember their names?

I appreciate I'm a little off topic here but was driving up Abbey Mount this morning (I see even more student housing has sprung up where the Chathams was) I it got me thinking there used to be a cinema/theatre half way up and a night club/function suite next door. Can anyone remember their names?

Further out of town as you?re driving out of town on London Road.

There was a cinema called The Regent on Abbeymount. Closed in 1970.

luckyBatistuta

Berry suite?

Regent Cinema

Edited by luckyBatistuta

luckyBatistuta

As LB says, it has to be the Berry Suite.

Only know because my mum and dad always used to say that they used to go there.

Samuel Camazzola

Glen's, Hutchison, Robertson, Stepek? :D

I remember their adverts during the days of Scotsport and the Tennents Sixes.

There was also a night club/function suite just down from ASDA at Chesser, where the 35 bus stop is. I think it's a Chinese restaurant now.

What was that called again?

Also, I think there was a wee shop on Dalry Road at the Haymarket end called TOOLS but my wife says I'm talking crap.

It's not really a shop name I would forget you know :)

luckyBatistuta

That's it, brilliant. It was doing my head in. I was in one of those ads :smile:

luckyBatistuta

Also, I think there was a wee shop on Dalry Road at the Haymarket end called TOOLS but my wife says I'm talking crap.

Is that the one that the CCS used to frequent

Murray's Tools?

Haymarket,Morrison Street and Clark Street.

Fred Murray is still on the go and a bona fide gentleman of the highest order.

Cat's Pyjamas.

Is that the one that the CCS used to frequent

That's it!

Hammers with empty heads, paving stones for dancing on, bags of small nails called wee pricks, that sort of thing.

Murray's Tools?

Yes!

Well done.

luckyBatistuta

That's it!

Hammers with empty heads, paving stones for dancing on, bags of small nails called wee pricks, that sort of thing.

:lol:

Tools with tools

There was also a night club/function suite just down from ASDA at Chesser, where the 35 bus stop is. I think it's a Chinese restaurant now.

What was that called again?

The Baron Suite?

My memory really has gone to pot.

It was the Astoria of course. Many good gigs back in the punk and new wave days. Was only like that for a while and shut down in the early eighties.

Seymour M Hersh

As LB says, it has to be the Berry Suite.

Not the Berry Suite that was the opening on the right after the Artisan pub iirc.

Toxteth O'Grady

Murray's Tools?

His Daughter Diane was nice to me

There was a Robertson on Gorgie Rd for a while, where the fireplace shop is, I think.

I'm sure there was either a Clydesdale or a Dixon there before it. Can anyone confirm this?

luckyBatistuta

Not the Berry Suite that was the opening on the right after the Artisan pub iirc.

Yeah, Berry Suite is now that hideous green building

luckyBatistuta

Cat's Pyjamas.

It was the Cats Pyjamas, with the Good Time Emporium above

Anyone else remember Tommy Farmers motor cycle repair shop on the corner of I think it is Buccleuch Terrace that leads from Buccleuch Street to George Square.

Murray's Tools?

Served my apprenticeship as a patternmaker in Bertrams, Sciennes. Bought loads of tools from Fred in his shop in South Clerk Street,his brother, pony tail, big in judo circles, managed Dalry shop. Before he sold up and retired,Fred showed me his tool museum/collection,filled the full sized basement in Morrison Street shop, sad that there is no comparable tool shop in Edinburgh now.