Old Edinburgh Shops From Yesteryear

Rudi-Robertson

When you went into the West End club you needed to purchase a "meal" ticket if you wanted to continue drinking after 11 o'clock. The meal consisted of a hot greasy mince pie, which were handed round on large pie trays. Take one or get out was the option. 

It inevitably meant dripping grease down yer best shirt and was not exactly conducive to pulling some wee dolly bird, or getting your greasy mits on her Joe Cockers later in the evening. 

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• luckyBatistuta

• The Real Maroonblood

• ¼½¾

2 minutes ago, stuart500 said:

When you went into the West End club you needed to purchase a "meal" ticket if you wanted to continue drinking after 11 o'clock. The meal consisted of a hot greasy mince pie, which were handed round on large pie trays. Take one or get out was the option. 

It inevitably meant dripping grease down yer best shirt and was not exactly conducive to pulling some wee dolly bird, or getting your greasy mits on her Joe Cockers later in the evening. 

Up until the mid 1970's pubs shut at 10.00pm. Some served a basket supper (consisting of something like pie and chips) which allowed them to serve booze until 11.00pm. 

6 minutes ago, Rab Mac52 said:

Up until the mid 1970's pubs shut at 10.00pm. Some served a basket supper (consisting of something like pie and chips) which allowed them to serve booze until 11.00pm. 

sure Tiffanys did scampi in a basket

6 hours ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Did forsyth's sell dried herbs and spices downstairs? One of my earliest memories is going down the escalator with my mum and the smell was ****ing amazing.

I'm sure you're right about Forsyths.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2017 at 05:56, Seymour M Hersh said:

Haliburton's Fishmongers anyone? One in Polwarth and another in Blackhall.

One on Gorgie  Road too, on a Wednesday, the fish van from there done the rounds at Chesser

I have a memory of getting the umbro Scotland top with diamonds down the sleeves from a sports shop around the south side,maybe the south bridge.

I remember going upstairs that had big wooden panelling on the lower walls.

Apart from that it's a bit hazy as I'd only have been 9 I think. 

So around 77/78 maybe.

Can anyone remember the name of the shop? 

I'm not sure all of the above is even accurate tbh.

McKenzie's Sports Shop

"I have a very vivid recollection of McKenzie's sports shop next door to 'The Empire'.

McKenzie’s was on two floors.  I can still remember walking up to the second floor and breathing in the smell of leather football boots, leather footballs and the distinctive smell of 'Dubbin'.  I can even smell it now as I write this."

"Thank you again for the memories."

1 hour ago, Stuart Lyon said:

McKenzie's Sports Shop

"I have a very vivid recollection of McKenzie's sports shop next door to 'The Empire'.

McKenzie’s was on two floors.  I can still remember walking up to the second floor and breathing in the smell of leather football boots, leather footballs and the distinctive smell of 'Dubbin'.  I can even smell it now as I write this."

"Thank you again for the memories."

That's it. Thanks for that.

4 hours ago, been here before said:

DLs Book Exchange on Gorgie Road.

Yep.

There was one in Morningside too and one on Leith Walk.

And it wasn’t just books they sold :wink:

• 1 year later...
On 06/03/2016 at 11:36, Nookie Bear said:

As does the name of the retro, American-style, clothes shop on the bridges. It may still be there as I rarely venture up there these days.

Flip of Hollywood?

Nookie Bear
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Flip of Hollywood?

Well done, but you took your ******* time answering !!

😁

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

Well done, but you took your ******* time answering !!

😁

My brain is a marathon rather than a sprint.

:) 

Nookie Bear
15 minutes ago, Morgan said:

My brain is a marathon rather than a sprint.

:) 

You can’t rush the magic 👍🏻

On 10/10/2017 at 20:19, Judge Fudge said:

Does anyone remember the name of the little book shop that was at jocks lodge just as you turned into willowbrae rd. Remember getting pan horror books and commando comics?

image.jpeg

It was Nebula Bookshop, was in Haddington originally.

On 10/10/2017 at 20:19, Judge Fudge said:

Does anyone remember the name of the little book shop that was at jocks lodge just as you turned into willowbrae rd. Remember getting pan horror books and commando comics?

image.jpeg

It was Nebula Bookshop, was originally in Haddington. 

• 1 year later...
andythejambo
On 06/03/2016 at 14:34, argyjambo said:

It was Nadia's, smell used to be amazing. I had my first flat in Orwell Place (Toly Alley) in the mid-70's

Nadia's was owned by the same people who had the Ben Hur at Roesburn. The Quo Vadis next door was their Italian Restaurant. Nadia was the cute daughter. They also ended up owning The Arches restaurant in the Bridges.

andythejambo
On 05/03/2016 at 18:33, Tommy Brown said:

Maurice Pollock Sports Shop, Haymarket right at the bottom of Dalry Road.

Never go into town anymore, but before shopping malls, you would shop in boutiques in Cockburn Street (Sunset Boulevard was one).

Cant remember what the shops were just down from the ABC on Lothian Road

BW Tache  mentioned the Style card, think everybody got one at 18, never been out of debt since. :sad:

Maurice Pollock - rumoured that most of the stock was off the backs of lorries. Think he was the golf pro at somewhere like Ratho Park, but seem to recall he moved down south after some sort of a scandal.

Toxteth O'Grady
On 09/11/2017 at 20:21, Crete said:

I always remember the bakers shop opposite the Gorgie road entrance 

think it was called j.c.boss very nice pies and cakes

Ross I think

Harry Potter

Woolworths corstorphine, Banks hardware Corstorphine, Lauries toy shop Corstorphine,

Thompsons sports shop Corstorphine, Duchess sweet shop, The village.

Edited by Harry Potter

On 09/11/2017 at 11:32, robbo1874 said:

I have a memory of getting the umbro Scotland top with diamonds down the sleeves from a sports shop around the south side,maybe the south bridge.

I remember going upstairs that had big wooden panelling on the lower walls.

Apart from that it's a bit hazy as I'd only have been 9 I think. 

So around 77/78 maybe.

Can anyone remember the name of the shop? 

I'm not sure all of the above is even accurate tbh.

I think it may have been McKenzie Sports. They also had a branch on the corner of Tarvit Street and Home Street, Tollcross.

The Real Maroonblood
47 minutes ago, Cheile said:

I think it may have been McKenzie Sports. They also had a branch on the corner of Tarvit Street and Home Street, Tollcross.

Correct.

Just up from the Empire Theatre.

4 hours ago, Cheile said:

That’s right.

I don’t remember the Tollcross one though.

McKenzie Sports was a few yards south of The Empire Theatre. It was quite big and had 2 floors, maybe 3, i cant quite remember.

The MS at Tollcross was east side of Home Street just before Tarvit Street and the Kings Theatre.

Edited by Pap

16 hours ago, andythejambo said:

Maurice Pollock - rumoured that most of the stock was off the backs of lorries. Think he was the golf pro at somewhere like Ratho Park, but seem to recall he moved down south after some sort of a scandal.

It was Ratho Park, he eventually got emptied because the members got fed with the big queues of people coming and going, and his shop was always full to the rafters with boxes of stock😂

His prices did suggest the origin of the stock was questionable. Remember getting an absolutely classy cashmere sweater for peanuts.

I am  sure he ended up with a shop on the corner of Gt Junction street?

58 minutes ago, merrymac said:

It was Ratho Park, he eventually got emptied because the members got fed with the big queues of people coming and going, and his shop was always full to the rafters with boxes of stock😂

His prices did suggest the origin of the stock was questionable. Remember getting an absolutely classy cashmere sweater for peanuts.

I am  sure he ended up with a shop on the corner of Gt Junction street?

He certainly did mm.

1 hour ago, Jambo314 said:

He certainly did mm.

How you doing mate, long time no speak.

Hope all is well with you

MM

2 hours ago, merrymac said:

How you doing mate, long time no speak.

Hope all is well with you

MM

I'm good pal, hope you are too.

• 11 months later...
Harry Potter

Thompsons sports shop in corstorphine, got my 1st adidas football boots there, lauries toy shop 

was never out off there as a kid.

The duchess sweet shop  next to banks the ironmongers , radio rentals and woolies so much has

changed.

Japan Jambo
On 10/10/2017 at 20:24, luckyBatistuta said:

OMFG!!!

i read those all the time, absolutely loved them. 

Schnell,schnell...Hande hoch...Gott in himmel

Aieeeeeeee...Banzai

You'd get locked up If you tried to print one of them these days.

I have vague memories that there was a clothes shop in the early seventies called knickers that used to supply their customers with bags that read ‘ when you get down to knickers you get what you want’ Not that I ever shopped there, I must add, honestly.

luckyBatistuta
4 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

You'd get locked up If you tried to print one of them these days.

Great little books though, loved getting the latest copy. A great read for a youngster in the late 70’s

Talking of books...

There was a wee bookshop on Forest Road that, amongst others, sold a small book called the 'wee red schoolboys book'.  I guess the name was a play on the Wee Red Book which was Scottish football fixtures.

The wee red schoolboys book' was, shall we say, very enlightening to a young boy like myself.

Does anybody else remember this wee Bible?

Japan Jambo
3 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Great little books though, loved getting the latest copy. A great read for a youngster in the late 70’s

Yup, and some helpful German phrases too.

11 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Thompsons sports shop in corstorphine, got my 1st adidas football boots there, lauries toy shop 

was never out off there as a kid.

The duchess sweet shop  next to banks the ironmongers , radio rentals and woolies so much has

changed.

Sharpe's Cycles: Pratt's Newsagents; Hoffman's Hairdresser all on Ormiston Terrace.

Mrs Scobies on the corner of Corstorphine High Street

On 19/07/2019 at 09:50, Morgan said:

Flip of Hollywood?

I don't know what names it has had since my time but the one just down from Infirmary Street opened just after the war and was American Mens Wear, I bought lots of their stuff in the early fifties.

32 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I don't know what names it has had since my time but the one just down from Infirmary Street opened just after the war and was American Mens Wear, I bought lots of their stuff in the early fifties.

Yes, just down from Infirmary Street, Bob.  👍

Early fifties!  Wow!

I first knew the place around 1982/83 so that goes to show how long the place has been there.

1 hour ago, Japan Jambo said:

Yup, and some helpful German phrases too.

Nein helpful German phrases, if I remember correctly.

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Nein helpful German phrases, if I remember correctly.

Frau Cammac recommended. 

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Smiths clothes shop in bread street, paid 100 pounds in 1980 for a leather jacket, lovely soft leather.

Lot of money back then. But a good leather jacket is worth it.

Edited by Pap

5 hours ago, Morgan said:

Yes, just down from Infirmary Street, Bob.  👍

Early fifties!  Wow!

I first knew the place around 1982/83 so that goes to show how long the place has been there.

I continued to buy a considerable amount of clothes there until I left for Canada. Some of their clothing was really quite American so if I knew I would be wearing clothes to police functions or ,meetings so  I shopped at Hepworths.