Old Edinburgh Shops From Yesteryear

Rudi-Robertson

Virgin Records at the corner of Frederick Street & Rose Street. I seem to recall they used to be in Thistle Street before that.

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• luckyBatistuta

• The Real Maroonblood

• ¼½¾

luckyBatistuta

Lucky Batistuta - where was Stewarts Bar in Lady Lawson Street - the pubs I know were there  are 

K Jackson?s 40-44 LLS

The Arts Bar 64-66 LLS formerly the Blue Pig  and before that the Cattle Market Bar

Wooster 12-14 LLS

Clan House is Still in Grove Street but underneath the new build Fountain Court Apartments - I think their former premises further up Grove St are part of Fountain Court Apartments other location.

Aitken and Niven's shops are now at Queensferry Rd and Falcon Rd off Morningside Rd.

It was on the corner of Lady Lawson street and West Port

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Question for the oldies (well older than me, I'm 47)

I remember my Gran taking me to a record shop up the town when I was just a kid (3 or 4) and it had big glass booths where you put on a set of headphones and the guy behind the counter would put on a record for you. I think it was between George Street and Princes Street on Castle Street or one of the others.

Peter and the Wolf was the record. My gran was a bit high brow!!

Stuart Lyon

Luck Batistuta - got it on this old OS Map

post-586-0-52362100-1457359431_thumb.png

El Barrio's that was below West Port House (now demolished) was at 104 West Port and that would appear to be the street No for Stewarts Bar on this map. West Port, South Side was obviously renumbered when WP House was built as I recall El Barrios was near to Main Point.

Edited by Stuart Lyon

luckyBatistuta

Luck Batistuta - got it on this old OS Map

attachicon.gifStewarts PH.png

El Barrio's that was below West Port House (now demolished) was at 104 West Port and that would appear to be the street No for Stewarts Bar on this map. West Port, South Side was obviously renumbered when WP House was built as I recall El Barrios was near to Main Point.

Got to come clean mate?I was at my mother and fathers when I posted that, because they wanted me to post it. I had to text them when you asked where it was, because I wasn't sure :lol:

I don't know what year that was ( I'm 48) but I did go to El Barrios and when it was the 'Cas Rock'

luckyBatistuta

El Barrio was the same bar as the Lord Darnley, which then changed its name to Cas Rock before becoming El Barrio.

Yup, went to Lord Darnleys too?good times

Samuel Camazzola

Was that on the corner where Sainsbury's are now, and Blockbuster before that? I can remember a furniture shop there.

That would have been Richard F Mackay.

I think the store being referred to May have been at St Patrick's Square where the Edinburgh Bargain Store is situated. Happy to be proved wrong though as it was before my time...

I think the store being referred to May have been at St Patrick's Square where the Edinburgh Bargain Store is situated. Happy to be proved wrong though as it was before my time...

Weren't Martin And Frost up that way as well before they moved to Powderhall?

The Real Maroonblood

I am sure McEwans was where the bargain store is.

J and R Allan's

Grant's Dept Store on the corner of the Bridges opposite the Tron was Pizzaland after that

Used to be a boy outside that sold papers -always got my Speedway Star there

Tony's Cafe in Gilmerton

McKechnies Barbers in Gracemount and Boab's Paper Shop

Where Lidl is, used to be a bakery factory until it burnt down. The bingo used to be a garage. One of the shops owned by the chippie next door was a video shop. There used to be a fishmonger next door to the opticians. I think the opticians used to be a Robertsons electrical store.

The dentist used to be a garage too.

Franannes hairdresser used to be on Captains Road next door to Video World.

HaymarketJambo

Your post reminded me of two shops in Grove St. There was a joke shop close to Morrison St - left hand side as you went down. Nearer Dundee St on the other side was (I'm sure) a St Cuthbert's where I'd be taken for school uniforms.

Can anyone tell me the name of a shop on George St which also had school uniforms as well as other clothes? I used to get rugby kit there and would also go there to get tickets for the internationals at Murrayfield. 'Twas on the same side as the Church of Scotland bookshop, though maybe not the same block. There was also a hardware shop called Gray's nearby.

Mev Taylor's was the name of the joke shop in Grove Street.

HaymarketJambo

Mev Taylors was the music shop at Haymarket. 

You are correct there was a music shop in Morrison Street called Mev Taylor's, but the joke shop was in Grove Street which is now Vietnam House was called Mev Taylor's joke shop in the 1970's, I was brought up in Grove Street in the 1970's as      

Stuart Lyon

Where Sainsbury's is now was definitely C& J Browns! I have found a photo of it in 1976 on the SCRAN website but they don't allow you to put it on the internet.

I think Richard F Mackay's shop was at the corner of Lutton Place and S Clerk St - now a Peckhams deli.

Edited by Stuart Lyon

John mcCartney

the bakery on duke street was staffed with an elderly woman,when we used to queue up in the shop i would allways
blurt out `a cream bum please`
that didnt go down well with her iirc

i remember a record shop on henderson row,at the jcn with dundas st
its now a ladies dress shop,a narrow establishment next to the chippy
i remember buying gbh`s `leather,bristles,studs and acne` ep when it came out

the virgin shop on corner rose st,fred st also,thats when i read of ian curtis death on the front cover of the new musical
express when in buying my first bunch of 7"records

the vapours,the skids,cockney rejects,damned,buzzcocks and squeeze !

Where Sainsbury's is now was definitely C& J Browns! I have found a photo of it in 1976 on the SCRAN website but they don't allow you to put it on the internet.

I think Richard F Mackay's shop was at the corner of Lutton Place and S Clerk St - now a Peckhams deli.

You are absolutely correct on both counts, I bought all my furniture for my new house on 25 Wester Broome Drive to furnish it at Mackays. They also had a lot of storage space in houses on the first stair in Lutton Place, C and J Browns had a factors office where my mother went to pay her rent.

The Real Maroonblood

I'm sure at some point there was 2 C&J Browns in that area.

J.T.F.Robertson

Irvine's the baker on West Richmond Street,

Frank the chemist on the Pleasance.

Now there are two blasts from the past, especially "Frank's", it hasn't crossed my mind in decades.

I'm sure at some point there was 2 C&J Browns in that area.

I have the same feeling I think they had another store on the other corner and it was an antique shop.

Blyths at Tolcross

Smalls in Princes Street

His Hair at Bruntsfield

Robertson's rainwear in Lothian Road

Lawson's timber in Lady Lawson Street

The Real Maroonblood

Now there are two blasts from the past, especially "Frank's", it hasn't crossed my mind in decades.

There was also a dairy on the Pleasance between Brown Street and Salsbury Street but I can't remember the name.

J.T.F.Robertson

There was also a dairy on the Pleasance between Brown Street and Salsbury Street but I can't remember the name.

Can't say I remember it.

How about the two St. Cuthbert stores, one a grocery and the other a bakers, across from Carnegie Street? The stair in between them was #177, that's where we were brought up.

The Real Maroonblood

Can't say I remember it.

How about the two St. Cuthbert stores, one a grocery and the other a bakers, across from Carnegie Street? The stair in between them was #177, that's where we were brought up.

I remember them.

I mentioned Bialecks the baker earlier which was opposite StCuthberts.

J.T.F.Robertson

I remember them.

I mentioned Bialecks the baker earlier which was opposite StCuthberts.

Used to be sent there for the Sunday rolls.

There was also a place as you turned into East Crosscauseway where they made ice cream. It had these big stainless steel vats.

The post office just before there and "Minnie's" the butcher, before that.

Gonnie start greetin' here.

It should have been ten

Ricci

What everyone wants (watty's)

Fosters

The sweater shop

Bayne & Duckett

Goldbergs

The pancake place

Dolcis

Edited by It should have been ten

I P Knightley

Mev Taylor's was the name of the joke shop in Grove Street.

Thank you.

(And to those who came up with Aitken & Niven)

I P Knightley

Angle Park Motors

This is going to sound facetious but where was that?

I knew Fisher's (Alfa Romeo shop) was in Angle Park Terrace, a couple of doors away from the Diggers. Was Angle Park Motors on the other side on Dundee St, near the Victor Paris bathrooms showroom?

The Real Maroonblood

Used to be sent there for the Sunday rolls.

There was also a place as you turned into East Crosscauseway where they made ice cream. It had these big stainless steel vats.

The post office just before there and "Minnie's" the butcher, before that.

Gonnie start greetin' here.

Minnie's.

Good shout.

On the corner of Bowmant Place there was a grocer I think it was called Dicksons I maybe wrong.

The Real Maroonblood
It's funny you mentioned that.

I took a trip back there a few years ago and I bumped into a guy who has stayed in the area for years and I asked why the spelling had changed.

He said it went back to Bowmant as that was the original spelling

I'm sure Minnie's had Shawcross or similar as part of the name.

TheMightyShed

I had a Saturday job there for about 6 months over 74/75. They laid me off just as I was about to turn 18 as they would have to pay me an extra 15p a day. Hated it anyway.

omg they did that to me, too but in 1983 .. I worked on a Saturday in the hifi dept just as you walked in, up the front steps.

I remember selling video machines,TVs and Alan Sugar amstrad allinone cheap assed hifi units; they laid me off at Christmas, just before I turned 18 as they'd have to pay me ?13 pounds for the day instead of ?10. I guy I knew, who just started was kept as he was a year younger!

I was pissed off, my dad was just laid off his real job and I worked really hard full time that summer for them in the sports dept; so I phoned Mrs Glenndinning (the person in charge of hiring and firing) who most folk were scared of and asked to see her - others couldn't believe I did that. I went to her office and spoke with her; she was on the Blackfoot stuttering and took out pen and paper, saying "let's see what we can do for you" ... but I declined her offer to help me; just asked if I could get a good written reference as I felt I'd worked hard for them. She told me that they gave a reference when a company wrote to them and I'd be okay.

Not long after, I landed a cracking job with S&N Breweries and having Goldbergs on my application as a referee would have helped.

I don't think they really "got" xmas; when they opened up the 3rd floor for chrimbo they went all out with 2 grottos side by side-- leaving keep kids wondering why there were 2 Santas!? Goldbergs weren't traditionally Santa Claus kind of peeps!

Castle Grey Skull was the big toy that year ... lol you're not Goldbergs anymore!!! Goldbergs kind of looked like it too ...

e514fcf1364bf879386bb427640d4e57.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheMightyShed

What was the name of that record shop in Forrest Road anyone?

Also, the record shop 3/4s of the way up from the bottom of the High Street - was massive, over 2 floors, with the 2nd floor 2nd hand stuff? Both regular haunts but can't remember the name of either!!

I'm sure most of the youngsters on here have had a few drinks in Ryans, but did you know it was a big grocers in a previous life;) Rankins I think?

It was called THE OTHER RECORD SHOP ... awesome place plus they had space invaders 0f23fed7ae5f6e21c77f9646f1d1baeb.jpg

Edited by TheMightyShed

davemclaren

omg they did that to me, too but in 1983 .. I worked on a Saturday in the hifi dept just as you walked in, up the front steps.

I remember selling video machines,TVs and Alan Sugar amstrad allinone cheap assed hifi units; they laid me off at Christmas, just before I turned 18 as they'd have to pay me ?13 pounds for the day instead of ?10. I guy I knew, who just started was kept as he was a year younger!

I was pissed off, my dad was just laid off his real job and I worked really hard full time that summer for them in the sports dept; so I phoned Mrs Glenndinning (the person in charge of hiring and firing) who most folk were scared of and asked to see her - others couldn't believe I did that. I went to her office and spoke with her; she was on the Blackfoot stuttering and took out pen and paper, saying "let's see what we can do for you" ... but I declined her offer to help me; just asked if I could get a good written reference as I felt I'd worked hard for them. She told me that they gave a reference when a company wrote to them and I'd be okay.

Not long after, I landed a cracking job with S&N Breweries and having Goldbergs on my application as a referee would have helped.

I don't think they really "got" xmas; when they opened up the 3rd floor for chrimbo they went all out with 2 grottos side by side-- leaving keep kids wondering why there were 2 Santas!? Goldbergs weren't traditionally Santa Claus kind of peeps!

Castle Grey Skull was the big toy that year ... lol you're not Goldbergs anymore!!! Goldbergs kind of looked like it too ...e514fcf1364bf879386bb427640d4e57.jpg

I was in Hardware and Electrical. The best thing about the jobs was using the compreesed air tubes to send money and stuuf to and from accounts. No tills on the floor.