• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• luckyBatistuta

• The Real Maroonblood

• ¼½¾

3fingersreid

Nope.

Watches of Switzerland was directly below the West End Club/Fire Island.

There was a wee balcony bar upstairs in the place.

Not the watch shop ;)

Okay , mind I was only a bairn at the time , you?ll have a better memory of it as you were in your 20?s ;)

3fingersreid

What was the name of the department store where Debenhams is now?

That building used to be the Scottish conservative club at one point

Okay , mind I was only a bairn at the time , you?ll have a better memory of it as you were in your 20?s ;)

Teens actually you cheeky bugger :wink:

Wife is sure it was a department store in the early 70's 'til about 1980. Didn't even know there was a Conservative club on Princes Street.

Thanks for your replies.

It also takes in the Liberal Club, which was next door.

I know its not an old shop in the true sense and original theme of this thread but am I correct in remembering that there used to be a Tesco at the top of Longstone, beside the railway? I think it was their first store in Edinburgh.

I know its not an old shop in the true sense and original theme of this thread but am I correct in remembering that there used to be a Tesco at the top of Longstone, beside the railway? I think it was their first store in Edinburgh.

Yes, up Dumbryden Road in Wester Hailes. They used to run a free bus between it and the shopping centre. I don't know if it was the first store, but I knew someone who was working there about 1981, (Tesco took over Wm Low stores in '94).

Olympus Sports on Princess Street, brilliant shop in the mid 80s but my favourite was Everything adidas in Castle Street, always remember the rows of ZX 600s,Lendl,Trim Trab,Wimbledon, Stan Smiths etc and then there was the Ivan Lendl tracksuits, heaven for a school kid who had to save like **** just to get the odd bit out there.

Dont know if its been mentioned but remember Millars sweet factory on Causewayside. OH the minty smell when you walked past when they were making Pan Drops!!!

There was also a sweet factory (MacKay's) at the top of Grove Street on Fountainbridge. Further down Grove Street were the stables for St Cuthberts and also Martins the Bakers bakery.

3fingersreid

Was it Smalls?

It WAS Smalls

How about Parkers dept store at Surgeons Hall and Nicolso Square , one sold pottery and one sold clothes

Was it Smalls?

Brilliant!!

Thanks very much, my wife is delighted to have this answer at last.

:thumb:

I can just picture your wife in Smalls Morgan  :naughty: 

She actually wears smalls with the C & A label inside.

It helps her determine which is the back and which is the front.  :whistling:

The White Cockade

Is that Allan's on Great Junction St?

As other guys said it was South Bridge

Pretty sure they changed the name later to Allan's on the Bridges

and there was the big St Cuthberts (Co-Op) Dept Store at Nicholson Street

can't believe the state of the tat shops all the way from the Bridges to Newington now

used to be some good shops there

Olympus Sports on Princess Street, brilliant shop in the mid 80s but my favourite was Everything adidas in Castle Street, always remember the rows of ZX 600s,Lendl,Trim Trab,Wimbledon, Stan Smiths etc and then there was the Ivan Lendl tracksuits, heaven for a school kid who had to save like **** just to get the odd bit out there.

That was heaven when I was a kid. 2 floors of three stripe bliss. Broke my heart when they changed the logo.

As other guys said it was South Bridge

Pretty sure they changed the name later to Allan's on the Bridges

and there was the big St Cuthberts (Co-Op) Dept Store at Nicholson Street

can't believe the state of the tat shops all the way from the Bridges to Newington now

used to be some good shops there

There were two Allan's shops on the Bridges. J& R Allan's and Peter Allan's. I think they were part of the House of Fraser Empire. Peter Allan's eventually became a furniture shop - Waring and Gillow.

Brattisani's Chippy

Useless fact #201:  Pat Stanton is related to the Brattisanis. Can't say I ever had a pish supper there though.

Was the big store in Great Junction St the Leith Provident?

Yes. The big red building was the original one and then they built Telectra House next to it.

Talking of department stores, there was Lawsons on the corner of Castle Terrace and Lothian Road and Grants at the junction of the High Street and the Bridges. Also Goldbergs at Tollcross.

Talking of department stores, there was Lawsons on the corner of Castle Terrace and Lothian Road and Grants at the junction of the High Street and the Bridges. Also Goldbergs at Tollcross.

Goldies was great and had a small aviary on the top floor.

Donray's. Toy shop in morningside. Alfonso's for a haircut and popping into Pik-a-pet after then a scran at the wee greasy spoon just over from the King's theatre called The Quick & plenty.

21 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Donray's. Toy shop in morningside. Alfonso's for a haircut and popping into Pik-a-pet after then a scran at the wee greasy spoon just over from the King's theatre called The Quick & plenty.

Have you been following me?

Morgan here’s the watch shop and funnily enough fire island , they’ve just been on reporting Scotland 

CAD8E3E4-601B-4CC6-8CDC-937D7119C4AB.jpeg

17 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Morgan here’s the watch shop and funnily enough fire island , they’ve just been on reporting Scotland 

CAD8E3E4-601B-4CC6-8CDC-937D7119C4AB.jpeg

Thanks.

Why were they on Reporting Scotland?

17 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Thanks.

Why were they on Reporting Scotland?

A gay library is the subject of an acting tour going around Scotland , the library was founded in fire island 

I remember the watches of Switzerland shop now ;)

33 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

A gay library is the subject of an acting tour going around Scotland , the library was founded in fire island 

I remember the watches of Switzerland shop now ;)

Yeah, it became Fire Island after it was called The West End Club.

Thanks again for posting the picture and the wee story.

:2thumbsup:

Does anyone remember the name of the little book shop that was at jocks lodge just as you turned into willowbrae rd. Remember getting pan horror books and commando comics?

image.jpeg

luckyBatistuta
2 minutes ago, Judge Fudge said:

Does anyone remember the name of the little book shop that was at jocks lodge just as you turned into willowbrae rd. Remember getting pan horror books and commando comics?

image.jpeg

OMFG!!!

i read those all the time, absolutely loved them. 

Schnell,schnell...Hande hoch...Gott in himmel

Aieeeeeeee...Banzai

Superb, between them and the horror books it's a miracle I didn't go on to travel the world bayoneting Johnny foreigners. I graduated to the viz after that, so no harm done.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
On 05/10/2017 at 7:20 PM, Morgan said:

Forsyths?

Grants?

The Red Shoes in Morningside?

Did forsyth's sell dried herbs and spices downstairs? One of my earliest memories is going down the escalator with my mum and the smell was ****ing amazing.

Edited by Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 minute ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Edited by Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
****ed up the quote

Samuel Camazzola
11 hours ago, Judge Fudge said:

image.jpeg

Snatch Squad? We're they an early version of the Pussy Patrol? 

I came across this photo of the junction of Gorgie Rd and Mcleod St.  Does anyone know when the tenement was demolished?  Not coming from Edinburgh, I just remember it as the site of the play park.  I wasn't sure where to put this in the Terrace or here.

Gorgie_Mcleod_st.jpg

26 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

I came across this photo of the junction of Gorgie Rd and Mcleod St.  Does anyone know when the tenement was demolished?  Not coming from Edinburgh, I just remember it as the site of the play park.  I wasn't sure where to put this in the Terrace or here.

Gorgie_Mcleod_st.jpg

It must’ve been around the mid 80’s it got demolished , probably deserved it for alllowing a shop to be painted green and white there ;)

The wee sweet shop ( was that Willie Baulds shop at one point) was owned by a friends mum , he went on to be a linesman / assistant ref , and it was him who ran the line at parkhead when they claimed the ball was out when Driver crosses for Velicka to score in the LC tie 

Edited by 3fingersreid

William H. Bonney
28 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Gorgie_Mcleod_st.jpg

I've being going since 85 and can't recall ever seeing that building. I'm guessing it was very early 80's 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
9 minutes ago, Jefferson Davis Hogg said:

I've being going since 85 and can't recall ever seeing that building. I'm guessing it was very early 80's 

I've been going, regularly, since 82 and I have no recollection of it. Went  few times since 1980 (I was 7) and I don't recall it.

Montgomery Brewster
10 minutes ago, Jefferson Davis Hogg said:

Yes been gone along time. 

It must have been in a bad bad state to be pulled down as can't seem to recall it going to be used for another reason ?