Old Edinburgh Shops From Yesteryear

Rudi-Robertson

Young people today would be amazed that the Porsche dealers for Edinburgh was on George Street. Glen Hendersons if I remember rightly. Also the Aston Martin showroom between Haymarket and the deaf school.

I remember Glen Henderson in George Street.

Also EasternWestern had a showroom in what is now I think Charles Tyrwhitt. There was also a butchers shop where estestest is.The Butcher and The Broon (snr) were friends and everyone who worked for Eastern Western group got a hamper and turkey foc at christmas .

Before BIK.

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• luckyBatistuta

• The Real Maroonblood

• ¼½¾

luckyBatistuta

J and R Allan's

Grant's Dept Store on the corner of the Bridges opposite the Tron was Pizzaland after that

Used to be a boy outside that sold papers -always got my Speedway Star there

Tony's Cafe in Gilmerton

McKechnies Barbers in Gracemount and Boab's Paper Shop

Forgot about Grants?my dad worked there.  

Usher's brewery was the last job for me before coming over here, stock control in their wines and spirits department.

Had some laughs with the characters who worked in the warehouse, what a bunch.

and my mum worked there

Sefton the furriers in Marchmont Road was where I also got my animal skin apparel.Just down from the flat I was baptised in.

Grew up right next door to Seftor's, they gave me the skin of a lion's foot with the claws on, when I was about 5/6yrs old.

luckyBatistuta

Stewart's pub on Lady Lawson St,

James Bowen & Son's at Sighthill,Pitt Street,

Pelosi's fish & chip shop, grassmarket,

Barrie's mission, grassmarket,

Betty Graham's, grassmarket,

Locke's grocer's, which is now the 'Earl of Marchmont'

Cavarollie's fish & chip shop, Roseneath st

West St Giles church, Roseneath at the Meadows?My mum and dad got married there and it burnt down soon after, when the workman left his blow lamp on.

Ards the record shop - Bought my first ever single in here and always used to clap Snooker the dog outside As well as records they sold everything for your record playing needs (stylus etc) great shop

Cannasta Cafe - On Bonnington Road run by a lovely old Italian couple Served fantastic, hot, chips which if drowned in brown sauce were excellent - can still taste them now!

There was a wee shop on Prince Regent Street where it connected with North Junction Street where I bought spam rolls at lunchtime from DK's (Trinity Annexe) when I was too embarrassed to hand in my free dinner ticker for school lunch!

Staying in Leith there was a wee ice cream shop in Duke Street owned by an old Italian Couple who sold tasty homemade ice lolly's -  nice!

Jagjeets in Junction street for stretch jeans and harrington jackets

I P Knightley

Around the corner there was a joke shop, I would spend ages as a lad with my nose pushed up against the window.

St Cuthbert's and The Leith Provident amalgamated under the Co-op banner. 27638 was my granny's St Cuthbert's number. I would be sent shopping down Henderson Row.

Your post reminded me of two shops in Grove St. There was a joke shop close to Morrison St - left hand side as you went down. Nearer Dundee St on the other side was (I'm sure) a St Cuthbert's where I'd be taken for school uniforms.

Can anyone tell me the name of a shop on George St which also had school uniforms as well as other clothes? I used to get rugby kit there and would also go there to get tickets for the internationals at Murrayfield. 'Twas on the same side as the Church of Scotland bookshop, though maybe not the same block. There was also a hardware shop called Gray's nearby.

Your post reminded me of two shops in Grove St. There was a joke shop close to Morrison St - left hand side as you went down. Nearer Dundee St on the other side was (I'm sure) a St Cuthbert's where I'd be taken for school uniforms.

Can anyone tell me the name of a shop on George St which also had school uniforms as well as other clothes? I used to get rugby kit there and would also go there to get tickets for the internationals at Murrayfield. 'Twas on the same side as the Church of Scotland bookshop, though maybe not the same block. There was also a hardware shop called Gray's nearby.

The place in Grove Street was called Clan House. And it was Aitken And Niven on George Street.

Tommy Brown

I bet no one remembers Fernie's Sports and Toy Shop just after Gorgie Road joins Dalry Road.

When I lived in Angle Park Terrace my dear old Nana used to buy be a Dinky Toy Car every Monday morning.

This would be around 1960.

This thread has made me recall a hell of a lot from my life and it's great.

posts 117  & 125 :thumbsup:

Tazio, on 06 Mar 2016 - 4:45 PM, said:

The place in Grove Street was called Clan House. And it was Aitken And Niven on George Street.

Damn you Tazio! you just beat me to the answers, this nostalgia lark is getting very competitive :2thumbsup:

Ralph Mccluskey's in Dalkeith was the place for Subbuteo.

Was that the shop near the crossroads just down from the bus station? I mind buying a few Subbuteo teams in a shop up that way.

William H. Bonney

Do you mean monkey business?

John Findlay

Clan house. Remember getting my uniform there for going to St Tam's. Black flairs and high waisters for the troopers. Even had the school badge on the blazer breast pocket.

Clan house. Remember getting my uniform there for going to St Tam's. Black flairs and high waisters for the troopers. Even had the school badge on the blazer breast pocket.

But was it a Barathea or one of the hairy type Blazers?

John Findlay

But was it a Barathea or one of the hairy type Blazers?

Hairy one. Didn't get a Barathea until I started 3rd year.

Rudi-Robertson

Does anyone remember those big red flappy things in the supermarkets you'd push your trolley through while you walked through a turnstile thing and met it st the other side??

WTF was all that about

zoltan socrates

Does anyone remember Pancake place (or pancake palace) at the west end?

I think it must have been back in the 80s when I used to go there. Loved it.

Aye, mind their menu, you could get mince n tattles on a pancake, bizarre

Terry's at the bottom of Crewe road north, cheap shite n toys, the post office at crewe had a cracking selection of matchbox cars n the back wall, mind a toy shop at the top of golden acre an aw, golden acre had a magic fruit veg shop on the corner, gosmans I think, always mind the smell, the fish shop window at golden acre was great as a five year old

What was the pawn shop on leith walk called? Always closed, grey with red writing is all I remember

Stuart Lyon

Lucky Batistuta - where was Stewarts Bar in Lady Lawson Street - the pubs I know were there  are 

K Jackson?s 40-44 LLS

The Arts Bar 64-66 LLS formerly the Blue Pig  and before that the Cattle Market Bar

Wooster 12-14 LLS

Clan House is Still in Grove Street but underneath the new build Fountain Court Apartments - I think their former premises further up Grove St are part of Fountain Court Apartments other location.

Aitken and Niven's shops are now at Queensferry Rd and Falcon Rd off Morningside Rd.

Does anyone remember those big red flappy things in the supermarkets you'd push your trolley through while you walked through a turnstile thing and met it st the other side??

WTF was all that about

this should be on ...all my favourite women are ancient thread..me thinks :bandana:

WorldChampions1902

Jockey Allen's bike shop just off the foot of Leith Walk. What an absolute s**t hole.

I used to build bikes as a kid and was pretty damn good a fixing them. A mate had a Chopper bike which was unusable because the chain just wouldn't stay on after just one revolution of the pedals. As I had a Raleigh Chopper as well, I ended up swapping over every single component of the drive system to try and work out what was wrong and the problem remained.

In desperation, I took the bike down to Jockey Allen's, explained what I had done and 30 seconds later he diagnosed the problem - the frame was warped. Fair play to the bloke, he was bang on. I subsequently got hold of an old frame and transferred all the components to it. Problem solved!

Jockey Allan was a big man in the Scottish cycling community.

Until he got caught selling fake Flying Scotsman frames according to the rumours.

The Real Maroonblood

Was it The Village in Corstorphine? Now that Weatherspoons boozer.

The White Lady was the Westbury previously.

Aye, mind their menu, you could get mince n tattles on a pancake, bizarre

Terry's at the bottom of Crewe road north, cheap shite n toys, the post office at crewe had a cracking selection of matchbox cars n the back wall, mind a toy shop at the top of golden acre an aw, golden acre had a magic fruit veg shop on the corner, gosmans I think, always mind the smell, the fish shop window at golden acre was great as a five year old

What was the pawn shop on leith walk called? Always closed, grey with red writing is all I remember

There was a second hand type place called Boston's near the army & navy store. Was that it?

What was the name of that record shop in Forrest Road anyone?

Also, the record shop 3/4s of the way up from the bottom of the High Street - was massive, over 2 floors, with the 2nd floor 2nd hand stuff?  Both regular haunts but can't remember the name of either!!

I'm sure most of the youngsters on here have had a few drinks in Ryans, but did you know it was a big grocers in a previous life;)  Rankins I think? 

Ezy Ryder, Greyfriar's Market (In Oddfellows Hall).

Edited by The Earl of Lemongrab

Was that Aitken & Niven? I think they still do school uniforms but the shop in George Street is long gone.

WorldChampions1902

There was a wee shop off Cockburn Street down Fleshmarket Close that also used to make up badges on the spot but I can't remember it's name. Gilzeans rings a bell though.

Gilzean was a prominent cartoonist for the EEN in the 1970's. I have a few Hearts badges with his brilliant caricatures and slogans and he used to produce similar items for Hibs fans.

Ezy Ryder, Greyfriar's Market (In Oddfellows Hall).

That's it!

I'll throw in Bert's barbers and the baked tattie shop just opposite on Jeffrey Street now that I'm on a roll...

HaymarketJambo

Rankins the Green Grocer at Dalry Road and the West End.

Laws mini market at the West Mainland Street and there was a great sweetie shop there as well.

Martins the Baker in Grove Street, great for the broken shortbread. 

Purdies the Butcher and Woolworths/MFI in Dalry Road.

The Record Exchange, South Clerk st.

Ronnies hairdressers on Causewayside, another bowlcut enthusiast.

Was going to say the record exchange too until I seen this post, and Cowan tailors as mentioned earlier.

Bought my first record sugar sugar by the Archies in the record exchange.

Both shops were on the south side.

That's it!

I'll throw in Bert's barbers and the baked tattie shop just opposite on Jeffrey Street now that I'm on a roll...

Bert's the barbers always seemd to be smoking a fag while cutting my hair and watching the racing, seemed to always have the same auld lads in watching it with hime. Those were the days

maroongoals

Parkers at Potterow.

I remember going there for my school uniform, and the house I live in now was bought new by the chief floor manager at parkers, he paid ?10 a month for it in 1928

Edited by maroongoals

John mcCartney

maurice pollocks golf shop at the start of great junction street

loads of nicked gear in there surely,im just guessing as i didnt frequent it

offal butchers on duke street and we at leith acad bought our eats out of the bakery further along,
although upon witnessing what was in the back of the van when it pitched up outside the butchers and flung open
its doors

we werent hungry any more

Before everything went 24 hours there was a bakery between Clerk Street / Potterrow near the Odeon that would sell you pies etc through a wee hatch in the early hours. Can't remember exactly where it was - probably because I'd have been half cut every time I was there.

There was a shop near there called Dutch House too.

The White Lady was the Westbury previously.

Before that it was the village shopping centre market and had been Dingwalls a furniture store, I think.

Sent from my ZTE Blade Q Mini using Tapatalk

davemclaren

A few folk mentioned Smith's Menswear. A certain JKB member wrote and performed the music on this mid 80s advert for them ( after the irn bru ad ).

Who was that JKB member - PM please!

As someone who works in copyright and music publishing, would love to know the backstory. 

(And would be good to debate if The Hearts Song is actually public domain as well) 

A few folk mentioned Smith's Menswear. A certain JKB member wrote and performed the music on this mid 80s advert for them ( after the irn bru ad ).

That's it!

There was a Bert's barbers in Albert St Leith, my dad (god rest his soul) used to take me there in The 1960's to get his hair cut & I could have a swatch of the Playboy mags they had there.

Who was that JKB member - PM please!

As someone who works in copyright and music publishing, would love to know the backstory. 

(And would be good to debate if The Hearts Song is actually public domain as well) 

I Knew Alan Smith who owned Smiths menswear, & his wee brother Brian Smith (RIP Dobsy) I was at Broughton school with him he owned/managed a few busineses in Cockburn S

t

That would have been in the Oddfellows hall. I worked in The Bank of Scotland Forrest road in 1973-74.

Oddfellows Hall,  I believe the crest is still above the entrance.  Worth a "Where s this" question.

I recall there was a Clan House in Hanover Street (for your school uniforms) but it was Aitken & Niven where you got all your school sports kit. They are still on the go but have moved to Morningside, I think. 

WTF was all that about

Lidl still use them.

The Real Maroonblood

McEwans furniture shop in South Clerk Street.

People would queue for nights over the festive period so they could get the display furniture for a penny..

There was also C&J Browns nearby.

Lawsons in Lothian Road a clothes shop.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

Stuart Lyon

Pablo - Brown's may have been the location of a butcher shop T G Willis but I'm not positive about that.

John mcCartney - when I was at Leith Academy the wee bakers across the road was called Moffat's - the rumour was that it was owned by the family of Miss Moffat who was then the Headmistress at LA. 

McEwans furniture shop in South Clerk Street.

People would queue for nights over the festive period so they could get the display furniture for a penny..

There was also C&J Browns nearby.

Lawsons in Lothian Road a clothes shop.

Was that on the corner where Sainsbury's are now, and Blockbuster before that?  I can remember a furniture shop there.