Old Edinburgh Shops From Yesteryear

Rudi-Robertson

joondalupjambo

Wayne's cafe in Stockbridge where you ran along for lunch from Flora's when you were a bit older.  The lady who ran front the front of shop had a bee hive and was uber efficient.  You got a half sausage pie, chips and juice.

A high class grocers shop in Princess Street next to the Jacey picture house.  It had wooden steps leading up into the shop.  I think it might have been called Jamieson's?

King Hero?  Burger shop in Thistle Street was the best little eatery in town for a number of years.

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• luckyBatistuta

• The Real Maroonblood

• ¼½¾

J.T.F.Robertson

It's funny you mentioned that.

I took a trip back there a few years ago and I bumped into a guy who has stayed in the area for years and I asked why the spelling had changed.

He said it went back to Bowmant as that was the original spelling

I'm sure Minnie's had Shawcross or similar as part of the name.

Where are you located, if you don't mind the question.

Not a shop as such (or maybe it was, knock knock;)).  The Classic cinema (I think that is what it was called ) that showed the erm XXXXXX rated stuff.  Was a mystical place amongst us youngsters in the day...

The Real Maroonblood

Where are you located, if you don't mind the question.

Brown Street..

I think Minnie's last name might have been Whitecross.

Jockey Allan was a big man in the Scottish cycling community.

Until he got caught selling fake Flying Scotsman frames according to the rumours.

I knew Jocky for many years (1971ish to mid 1990s) in both shops Jane Street and Leith Walk, as a member of his cycling club, Velo Sportiv. I have never come across that story and would definitely challenge it! (BTW it's Flying Scot, build by Rattray's in Glasgow) Jocky was indeed very well known in the cycling community, particularly in racing circles. During the cycling season (approx. March through to mid October), he spent virtually every weekend taking club members to events all over Scotland in his van. He certainly encouraged a lot of people to do their best and also ran an interest-free credit system to allow us to acquire equipment which would be difficult or impossible otherwise. Even long after I had left the club and dropped out of racing circles, I would always find him offering me discount whenever I popped in for stuff for the hack bike. His only shortcoming apart from his height was the fact that he was a Hibby! Unfortunately this was the 1970s, a very lean period in HMFC's derby history although there was the odd gem eg 4-1 in Sep 1973! Heard that score in Luca's after we'd all been in a 50 mile time trial down the coast, fairly re-energised me for the cycle home! 

Hugh Phamism

Bayne & Duckett

HaHa. That actually made its way into Edinburgh rhyming slang back in the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew Jocky for many years (1971ish to mid 1990s) in both shops Jane Street and Leith Walk, as a member of his cycling club, Velo Sportiv. I have never come across that story and would definitely challenge it! (BTW it's Flying Scot, build by Rattray's in Glasgow) Jocky was indeed very well known in the cycling community, particularly in racing circles. During the cycling season (approx. March through to mid October), he spent virtually every weekend taking club members to events all over Scotland in his van. He certainly encouraged a lot of people to do their best and also ran an interest-free credit system to allow us to acquire equipment which would be difficult or impossible otherwise. Even long after I had left the club and dropped out of racing circles, I would always find him offering me discount whenever I popped in for stuff for the hack bike. His only shortcoming apart from his height was the fact that he was a Hibby! Unfortunately this was the 1970s, a very lean period in HMFC's derby history although there was the odd gem eg 4-1 in Sep 1973! Heard that score in Luca's after we'd all been in a 50 mile time trial down the coast, fairly re-energised me for the cycle home!

Flying Scot of course. Schoolboy error. I spent a lot of time buying bits from his shops. But as I said the story was a rumour that at the time around the area was believed. I know all about his great work he did with cycling in Scotland.

I was in Hardware and Electrical. The best thing about the jobs was using the compreesed air tubes to send money and stuuf to and from accounts. No tills on the floor.

What was the name of the toy shop upstairs? Im sure it was sub letted or was nearer the end of its days.

PsychocAndy

Anybody mind of the Wax Museum on the Royal Mile?

Just up from Phoenix Records on the High St. Went with the school to the Wax Works, got our bus tokens right away and headed for the exit. Down to Phoenix because The Clash were there, playing at the Odeon that night, Tommy Gun Tour and me and my mate got put on the guest list, sold my ticket to a mate and had a great day/night.

Cowan Tailoring on Lothian Road.

Although nearly always skint, my mum would save up and buy me and my brother Levi's or Wranglers out of there because they lasted longer than other jeans. The only thing was she would buy us the same clobber and if I was out and my brothers mates seen me they would call me "Wee Deek" because they thought I was wearing his clothes.

The Village in Corstorphine had a hairdressers in it and my cousin worked there, so she would use the family as her models, wanted to put that down on my passport, but I got free haircuts. My Mrs also worked there but I never noticed her as she was a year under my cousin.

Not Edinburgh but I remember seeing Diamonds Are Forever at the Picture House up from Caprice in Musselburgh. There are flats there now.

Kibby's at Muirhouse now a Store I think.

Devernoes at the bottom of Crewe Rd.

There was a wee shop off Cockburn Street down Fleshmarket Close that also used to make up badges on the spot but I can't remember it's name. Gilzeans rings a bell though.

That`s the correct name, Harry Gilzean used to do a cartoon every Monday in the EEN , his brother is Tom Gilzean, who collects for both the Sick Kids  and Help The Heroes outside either Jenners  or further along beside BHS or M&S in his electric wheelchair.

John Findlay

Just up from Phoenix Records on the High St. Went with the school to the Wax Works, got our bus tokens right away and headed for the exit. Down to Phoenix because The Clash were there, playing at the Odeon that night, Tommy Gun Tour and me and my mate got put on the guest list, sold my ticket to a mate and had a great day/night.

Cowan Tailoring on Lothian Road.

Although nearly always skint, my mum would save up and buy me and my brother Levi's or Wranglers out of there because they lasted longer than other jeans. The only thing was she would buy us the same clobber and if I was out and my brothers mates seen me they would call me "Wee Deek" because they thought I was wearing his clothes.

The Village in Corstorphine had a hairdressers in it and my cousin worked there, so she would use the family as her models, wanted to put that down on my passport, but I got free haircuts. My Mrs also worked there but I never noticed her as she was a year under my cousin.

Not Edinburgh but I remember seeing Diamonds Are Forever at the Picture House up from Caprice in Musselburgh. There are flats there now.

Kibby's at Muirhouse now a Store I think.

Devernoes at the bottom of Crewe Rd.

Hate to be a pedant but it was Diverno's. My Grandad and Granny stayed in the stair right by the bus stop at the bottom of Crewe Road North. Jock and Peggy Dickson. Sadly both long gone.

John Menzies, big Newsagent in Princes Street

I remember you could bump your car up onto the kerb and run in for a paper and cigarettes.

J.T.F.Robertson

Brown Street..

I think Minnie's last name might have been Whitecross.

I think you're right! They would regularly give our dog a big bone to chomp on.

You didn't happen to know a Kenny Clark, by any chance? He lived "through the pend" just before Brown / Salisbury Street. My grandad and auntie lived in the newer places, just across the street.

I was in the 2nd Edinburgh BB's, at Charteris Pleasance church. (Kirk o'Fields, I think it's called now)

not in Edinburgh but Musselburgh petersons toy shop opposite Lucas

I think it was called Patersons,bought my tennis rackets from them in the 70"s.

Arnotts up the bridges,williams bakery in leith nice cornish pasties,pies and sausage rolls.

N Lincs Jambo

Anyone remember a cracking wee record shop on Lady Lawson Street on left as you went from West Port to Spittal St? Used to go there after school in late 70s

The Real Maroonblood

I think you're right! They would regularly give our dog a big bone to chomp on.

You didn't happen to know a Kenny Clark, by any chance? He lived "through the pend" just before Brown / Salisbury Street. My grandad and auntie lived in the newer places, just across the street.

I was in the 2nd Edinburgh BB's, at Charteris Pleasance church. (Kirk o'Fields, I think it's called now)

Kenny Clark doesn't ring a bell.

I knew Davie Inglis, Harold and Arthur Gibson, The Reiley brothers.

Did you know any of them?

This is going to sound facetious but where was that?

I knew Fisher's (Alfa Romeo shop) was in Angle Park Terrace, a couple of doors away from the Diggers. Was Angle Park Motors on the other side on Dundee St, near the Victor Paris bathrooms showroom?

On the west corner of Angle Park Terrace and Ardmillan Place. They sold spare parts, in the days when you could fix your car yourself.

dozy dick the dooman

Byzantium flea market in Victoria street Also the ironmongers in Blair street. Can't mind what it was called though.

VG store at the bottom of Pilton/Granton ramps.

Pink poodle barber at Drylaw.

White's drysalters and Munro's the bakers in Pilton.

Ernie Foley's guns and ammo on Leith walk..

Alwaysmaroon

Used to get my haircut at hair by sven west which was below the penny black around the corner from the Guilford pub. That was the days of blonde highlights and the mullet.

Remnant Kings. Top of Minto Street.

Laskys. Broughton Street. Sold computer games.

Used to be 3 chippies on drummond street. One had logs along the ceiling and the chips would be frying in an old metal bin.

There used to be a Dofos pet shop down the one way street from the Commie.

McKenzie Sports. Where the festival theatre is now.

I worked in McKenzies for a while ran by Tom McKenzie who was about 86 his son Mr Tom and grandson Mr Stuart.. Prices were not marked ?7.50 etc it was ?H.FA. strange system...

I worked in McKenzies for a while ran by Tom McKenzie who was about 86 his son Mr Tom and grandson Mr Stuart.. Prices were not marked ?7.50 etc it was ?H.FA. strange system...

Do you remember the John Menzies on the St. James Centre?

Do you remember the John Menzies on the St. James Centre?

Only Menzies I remember was on Princes Street.

How did you pronounce Menzies?

I used to say it as it was - "Menzies", but loads of people said "Mingisses".  Why?

It was a shop I used to go to a lot, but I can't really remember why.

When did Goldbergs shut down.  I lived in Tollcross in 1990-1994 (right above Lauries Bar - now the Brauhaus?) and I remember the building still being there, but don't think it was still open.

Edited by Sydney

J.T.F.Robertson

Kenny Clark doesn't ring a bell.

I knew Davie Inglis, Harold and Arthur Gibson, The Reiley brothers.

Did you know any of them?

Same for me with them. We might be from different eras, I'm feckin ancient.

How about Bobby Croy, Packie Mason, Jimmy and Danny Murray?

My name's Jim, btw, nice to "meet" you. ;)

Only Menzies I remember was on Princes Street.

Def one in St James centre had a wee flight of stairs that took you up to the toys and games.

How did you pronounce Menzies?

I used to say it as it was - "Menzies", but loads of people said "Mingisses".  Why?

It was a shop I used to go to a lot, but I can't really remember why.

When did Goldbergs shut down.  I lived in Tollcross in 1990-1994 (right above Lauries Bar - now the Brauhaus?) and I remember the building still being there, but don't think it was still open.

Goldbergs closed in 1990 and was demolished in 1996.

There was Trading Post and Xile up the bridges but what was the other clothes shop slightly further up.

Paninari? Between those three, Ricci, Smiths and Cruise, there were plenty good clothes shops up that neck of the woods.

Ronnie Simpsons sports shop, think it was on rose street

John Greigs sports shop at Bruntsfield, just up from the Kings theatre.

C Star chippy

Wee shop that is now a house at the top of Wardlaw Place

The Programme shop along Dalry

Monkey Business

April's Shoe Shop on Ashley Terrace for plimsole gym shoes

Edited by Phage

Used to get my haircut at hair by sven west which was below the penny black around the corner from the Guilford pub. That was the days of blonde highlights and the mullet.

Ah but, did you drink in the Penny Black?

If so, when and who did you know there?

Oven Fresh the bakers in Morrison street sticks in my mind, so does a butchers in George Street that had a caf? upstairs from it,  can't remember the name though , think it was Wallace's or something like that ?

Oven Fresh the bakers in Morrison street sticks in my mind, so does a butchers in George Street that had a caf? upstairs from it,  can't remember the name though , think it was Wallace's or something like that ?

Willis.

Samuel Camazzola

Filsell's Emporium on Moredun Park Road. You could buy anything from a puncture repair kit to balls of wool!

Ah but, did you drink in the Penny Black?

If so, when and who did you know there?

Christ if you ever went in there , you had no option but to drink as your feet stuck to the floor,the carpet(described loosely) was minging and probably was never cleaned from the day it was laid .