• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• luckyBatistuta

• The Real Maroonblood

• ¼½¾

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Def one in St James centre had a wee flight of stairs that took you up to the toys and games.

Menzies is now next.

Again in the St James: what was the sports shop tucked away on the wee stretch that takes you to the carpark stairs and the way out to the public bogs at the back?

Has anyone mentioned Trading Post on the bridges?

The only place to go for the latest men's fashion in the early 90's there and Mckenzie's at Tron Square

Again in the St James: what was the sports shop tucked away on the wee stretch that takes you to the carpark stairs and the way out to the public bogs at the back?

Intersport

Craig Gordons Gloves

Intersport

Where i was bought my first ever pair of fitba boots.  Adidas mouldies.

I see that St Cuthberts has been mentioned, my granny and grandad who lived on Nicholson St took me in there on many ocassions. 

Samuel Camazzola

Intersport

There was also InterSport branch on Castle Street.

Sports Connection was on Princes Street which I think changed to a video games store.

Shanks said no

You are absolutely correct on both counts, I bought all my furniture for my new house on 25 Wester Broome Drive to furnish it at Mackays. They also had a lot of storage space in houses on the first stair in Lutton Place, C and J Browns had a factors office where my mother went to pay her rent.

You have a pm Bob, no e in Broom

132goals1958

Giving my age away now, but I remember getting my first suit at Jackson the Tailors at the top of Leith Street, I am sure they had  2 or three shops in the same vicinity, where Burtons and John Collier competed with each other. There was a snooker hall above the shop. The salesman used to have huge catalogue type covers, which contained lots of pieces of cloth. After you had made your selection it was the measuring process, paying a deposit and hoping the visualisation of the finished article came to fruition when you collected it six week later, Add the usual accessories by way of the three peaked hankie attached to a piece of flimsy card which you stuck in the top pocket and the slim tie with a stud in the middle and you were all set up for the Foutainbridge Palais.  

Still remember their basic ad messages ---John Collier ? John Collier the window to watch  ---  Jackson?s Trousers down again .

Leith Street was a pretty seedy area in those days with the Black Bull , Fairleys, The Imperial Hotel, and the Deep Sea  Restaurant all considered no go areas for the more classy individuals like myself. Also remember the salon picture house near the Playhouse

J.T.F.Robertson

John Collier, John Collier, the window to watch.

Late again, late again. :(

Edited by J.T.F.Robertson

The Real Maroonblood

Same for me with them. We might be from different eras, I'm feckin ancient.

How about Bobby Croy, Packie Mason, Jimmy and Danny Murray?

My name's Jim, btw, nice to "meet" you. ;)

Jim as well.

The Real Maroonblood

Giving my age away now, but I remember getting my first suit at Jackson the Tailors at the top of Leith Street, I am sure they had  2 or three shops in the same vicinity, where Burtons and John Collier competed with each other. There was a snooker hall above the shop. The salesman used to have huge catalogue type covers, which contained lots of pieces of cloth. After you had made your selection it was the measuring process, paying a deposit and hoping the visualisation of the finished article came to fruition when you collected it six week later, Add the usual accessories by way of the three peaked hankie attached to a piece of flimsy card which you stuck in the top pocket and the slim tie with a stud in the middle and you were all set up for the Foutainbridge Palais.  

Still remember their basic ad messages ---John Collier ? John Collier the window to watch  ---  Jackson?s Trousers down again .

Leith Street was a pretty seedy area in those days with the Black Bull , Fairleys, The Imperial Hotel, and the Deep Sea  Restaurant all considered no go areas for the more classy individuals like myself. Also remember the salon picture house near the Playhouse

Jeromes the photographer was in Leith Street.

They did home visits and my Mum still has the framed photo of my brother and me and its in colour.

132goals1958

Jeromes the photographer was in Leith Street.

They did home visits and my Mum still has the framed photo of my brother and me and its in colour.

I do recall them as they were a well established business at the time. Bring on more nostalgia.

Midloth_Iain

Ripping Records still going strong (South Bridge) after 35 years.

Remember spending hours queueing for concert tickets outside.

You have a pm Bob, no e in Broom

You know I since coming hre have always spelled it with an e, could it possibly have been changed , or had my memory slipped, I am thinking now if they changed Beaumont Place, a wee E off Broom doesn't seem so much. :2thumbsup:

Shanks said no

The White Lady was the Westbury previously.

It was Dingwalls furniture store

other Corstorphine shops I remember were Duchess, Sweet Inspirations, Lows, Mr Johns, Woolies, the laundrette that is now Winstons, the old womans sweetie shop near the library, Wearmouths, Newk, BBQ, Tarrys, but one still sends shivers down my spine....... Banks

From what I recall Banks sold ornaments and things like that and was next to the Duchess. Everywhere you went in the shop were signs that said nice to look at, nice to hold, but if you break it, we will consider it sold. My mum would point to the signs as we entered and I would follow her round absolutely terrified I would knock something off the shelf.

Shanks said no

One for our more experienced contributors

Was there a petrol station across the road from Donaldsons on Haymarket Terrace (opposite what is now the Apex Hotel)?

And if there was did you drive into it. I have a childhood memory of driving inside and my dad getting petrol, and thinking this isn't very safe!

Edited by godandgorgie2012

106 into town ,Cowan Tailoring,B Hyams,Berry etc for smart gear Barnetts for DMs.Bruces for import 45s and Headquarters on Sth College St for very rare soul records(It was a hippy shop and where they got the records I,ll never know)

Sweets Service in Eyre Place.  I was chosen as one of the kids who could go and help choose the sweets for a school trip once (1984?).  Had my first taste of Appletize there as they were handing out free tasters.  Big old church it was.  Became a doctors surgery.

Stuart Lyon

godandgorgie2012 - see attached extract from 1946 OS Map showing the garage - couldn't find a photo but I do remember it.

post-586-0-15021300-1457683364_thumb.png

C Star chippy

Wee shop that is now a house at the top of Wardlaw Place

The Programme shop along Dalry

Monkey Business

April's Shoe Shop on Ashley Terrace for plimsole gym shoes

The Wee Shop in Wardlaw,

The guy would sell you anything and I mean anything.

Categorically I was not involved  but he would supply glue and lighter gas to sniff  in exchange for car radios.

I remember the shop being attacked by a lads Dad and brothers.

****ing despicable *******.

That ***** tried to destroy maybe 10 or 20 lads growing up in the area.

londonjambo

Alan Cunningham's programme shop in Spittal Street

Walking up Cockburn Street to go to GI Records and then The Other Record Shop on the High Street

Oh and I used to work in Cowan Tailoring in South Bridge. The boss was a lovely man. Like a father to me. 

GC

Whatever happened to Alan Cunningham? Last I knew he ran into financial difficulties, closed the shop, and seemed to drop off the radar completely. Can anyone who knows/knew him shed any light on this?

Intersport

Thanks. Couldn't remember if it was that, topsport or thomsons.

Now, was there ever an ice rink at Haymarket? I had a map showing one there, but nobody I spoke to knew of it.

Stuart Lyon

The Earl - indeed there was an ice rink at Haymarket - see attached OS map from 1946 survey

post-586-0-87317000-1457702309_thumb.png

Edited by Stuart Lyon

Filsell's Emporium on Moredun Park Road. You could buy anything from a puncture repair kit to balls of wool!

Im sure on the left it had a wee display cabinet with toy cars for sale. The old man that worked there looked dour as anything.

The pancake place. Couple of shops up from Starbucks on the Royal Mile. The baked tattie shop on south Clerk street and Elliot sports couple of doors along from the Abbey Pub

I can't remember why but I discovered about the ice rink at Haymarket a while ago and spent a while doing some research on it. 

It was primarily a curling rink and closed in the mid 70's. 

The ice rink at Haymarket was also a very well used curling ice, during the war I seem to recall it was used as a garage for military vehicles. I couldn't ice skate, but went a lot when about 14/15 because I had a mad crush on a lassie who ice skated there every Saturday.  The thrill when she flashed past and gave me a smile. I think her family actually emigrated to Canada about that time. I hope it wasn't to save her from some wee stalker who leered at her in the ice rink.

Samuel Camazzola

Im sure on the left it had a wee display cabinet with toy cars for sale. The old man that worked there looked dour as anything.

He had everything. The shop reminded me of the one in Gremlins were the Mogwai, Gizmo came from.

Jam Tarts 1874

Bobbie's Bookshop on Dalry Road, always seemed to be old gadgies coming out with mags in brown paper bags tucked under their arms.

luckyBatistuta

The Clan Chattan chippie on Morningside road. One of the guys that worked behind the counter (think he was a member of the family that owned it) always made me chuckle. When he asked you if you wanted salt & sauce, you felt like you had to say yes, or he'd jump the counter and beat the living shoite out of you.

Had tripe fortnight ago in Rome still very popular according to waiter it came in a tomato sauce.

Remember being taken to Crawfords on Hanover St or Frederick St for high tea with my Nana.It was on two floors and had fish in a pond.

Shanks said no

Thanks Stuart Lyon, the garage at Haymarket does seem to have been drive in / drive out, so even if you couldn't get petrol I wasn't completely imagining it.

More Corstorphine memories

Windyvale Garage

Timberland (early DIY store) along Gylemuir Road by the piggery

Market garden where PC World / McDonalds now is - I am sure the bloke who owned it didn't want to sell and had to be forced to (memory may be playing tricks)

Barbers (further along from Mr Johns) where the barber only had one eye

Edited by godandgorgie2012

I remember buying white skinners with tartan trim from Junior Jax in Clerk St .

I also booked my first holiday abroad at the travel agent inside the Cooperative store across the road .

Nookie Bear

Alan Cunningham's programme shop in Spittal Street

Walking up Cockburn Street to go to GI Records and then The Other Record Shop on the High Street

Oh and I used to work in Cowan Tailoring in South Bridge. The boss was a lovely man. Like a father to me. 

GC

Think that is the same programme shop I mentioned a few pages back. Was great for a browse and to pick up a random lower-league prog.

Nookie Bear

Whatever happened to Alan Cunningham? Last I knew he ran into financial difficulties, closed the shop, and seemed to drop off the radar completely. Can anyone who knows/knew him shed any light on this?

Is that the guy who had the programme shop that londonjambo mentions? I always assumed he opened the shop on Albion Road, no?

davemclaren

I remember the old music shops JT Forbes, Mev Taylors and Pete Seatons and i'm sure there was a McLarens down the Canongate. .

gogsfaesydney
Recently looked through some pics on one of these Edinburgh Retro or whatever it's called page on Facebook and started thinking about shops that no longer around, not necessarily exclusive to Edinburgh of course. What shops do you remember from being a bairn

Ards the record shop - Bought my first ever single in here and always used to clap Snooker the dog outside

Crawfords - A sit in bakers that had the best chips ever doused in salt and vinegar

Ritz/Blockbuster - They'd charge you 20(?) if the video hadn't been rewinded

Cannasta Cafe - On Bonnington Road run by a lovely old Italian couple

Curtesses - Every school holiday id have to get new shoes for the new term

McDonalds the Butchers - John used to make the tidiest pies, quite peppery from what I can remember

Mr McBains - Corner shop at the top of Prince Regent Street who without fail he'd always just sold the last item you were in for

Ali's - Wee shop next to McDonalds the Butchers

Prestos/Safeways - Safeways used to have some cracking offers on

McDonalds Butchers that was my uncles shop, his pies were magic as was his red pudding. Sadly John died a couple of years ago

The Real Maroonblood

does anyone remember the lock shop in bread street Duncan mclaren which closed down

Remember it well.

Didn't know it had closed down. It must have happened quite recently.

Booked my first lads holiday in a travel agent in Shandwick Place, think it was called Budget Travel, there was also lots of Lunn Poly shops dotted around.

does anyone remember the lock shop in bread street Duncan mclaren which closed down

It hasn't closed down I was in the shop today,its best to check youre facts first.

Paninari? Between those three, Ricci, Smiths and Cruise, there were plenty good clothes shops up that neck of the woods.

That was the one mate after i posted i remember it being similar to the Pet Shop Boys song.

The White Cockade

is the toy museum still open down the Royal Mile?

Edited by The White Cockade