Christianity

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Unknown user

Personally, I have no time for any of it, it's just not relevant to my life.

BUT I do respect the comfort that loved ones have taken from their beliefs during tough times over the years. I see no reason to make anyone feel uncomfortable about it, maybe they're right for all I know, I just don't buy it and I REALLY don't want to be converted

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've not denied anything Jake you silly sausage. What I have done is question the validity of your "all terrorists are Muslim" nonsense.

Again, you can't say something so silly that it'd raise a questionable eyebrow from a toddler and then act affronted when people speculate that those suggestions are more ridiculous than nipples on a skateboard.

Does terrorism happen? Yes

Do Muslim's carry out terrorist acts? Yes

Are ALL Muslim's terrorists? Of course not

The real focus shouldn't be "pesky Muslim's", it should be terrorism as a whole and how we tackle the problem of poor relations across all faiths. Slapping ridiculous percentages against one group certainly won't help.

I did not say all muslims are terrorists i said it seems all terrorists are muslim.

You and others then said it wasnt even close.

I backed up my point of view.

I also have had answers from you that used insults and are patronising.

Ive had to qualify my point of view by staing im not racist or islamophobic.

Yes theres poor relations between faiths.

And terrorism manifests itself in all shapes and sizes but to somehow deny the ever growing islamic fundamentalist threat because its not pc is a mistake.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I did not say all muslims are terrorists i said it seems all terrorists are muslim.

And terrorism manifests itself in all shapes and sizes but to somehow deny the ever growing islamic fundamentalist threat because its not pc is a mistake.

Where is your evidence that Islamic fundamentalism is growing?

AlphonseCapone

You're maybe not racist or islamophobic but your comment was still meaningless.

Are most terrorist incidents carried out by Muslims at this point in history? Yes. Less than 0.01% of Muslims are involved in terrorism, maybe if we moved past their religion we'd start to make some progress.

You're maybe not racist or islamophobic but your comment was still meaningless.

Are most terrorist incidents carried out by Muslims at this point in history? Yes. Less than 0.01% of Muslims are involved in terrorism, maybe if we moved past their religion we'd start to make some progress.

They are in fact waging a religious war.

How can you possibly address the situation by bypassing their religion.

And yes acts of terror by muslims is probably the percentage you quote.

Im not tarring every muslim a terrorist dont know how many times i have to say that.

And once again i will say its mostly sectarian acts of terror against fellow muslims.

Generic Username

Islamic terrorists, but you knew that.

I didn't which was why I asked. Thanks for being a sweetheart and answering.

Where is your evidence that Islamic fundamentalism is growing?

Its now sweeping across north africa.

Its rooted in south east asia.

Beginnings in china.

We have the mess that is syria the sectarian violence in iraq.

The fundamentalist state of iran.

Chechnya.

Isis have elevated it to a new level and al quaeda are now seen as less fanatic.

Do you want me to source this and provide links?

I didn't which was why I asked. Thanks for being a sweetheart and answering.

Your patter is honkin it really is

Geoff Kilpatrick

Its now sweeping across north africa.

Its rooted in south east asia.

Beginnings in china.

We have the mess that is syria the sectarian violence in iraq.

The fundamentalist state of iran.

Chechnya.

Isis have elevated it to a new level and al quaeda are now seen as less fanatic.

Do you want me to source this and provide links?

Yes, yes I do

Because you are using terrorist actions in these areas to proclaim an increase in Islamic fundamentalism. The two are quite separate.

Yes, yes I do

Because you are using terrorist actions in these areas to proclaim an increase in Islamic fundamentalism. The two are quite separate.

Ok im not great at that kind of thing but i will try.

Your last sentence is a good point though.

fabienleclerq

Should be ridiculed and hated just as much as other religious fantasies in a free civilisation.

Is it, in your experience Kickbackers?

:unsure:

I think it's more ridiculed than any other religion. I don't think it's as hated as Islam is though.

On jkb it's ok to make jokes about priests or the pope and talk about sky fairies etc. I don't know if that's because the members are more exposed to Christianity and feel more comfortable mocking it.

If you made similar jibes about Islam then it's open season on the Ray gun and chocolate face patter.

Even in more main stream arenas it's the same, there's been plays and films depicting Jesus as gay or as the devil. Most people seem to think in a free country you should be allowed to express your opinion that way,even though some find it offensive.

Draw a picture of Allah and people get murdered.

Then again on fb it's open season on Islam atm with very little ever attacking Christianity.

Yes, yes I do

Its hard to find statistics to back my statement up.

There is plenty of political comment about especially how it affects women.

What i will say is that middle east regimes are more afraid of it than we are.

I think that you are queztioning me on the normal population of muslims and whether they are becoming more fundamental.

That i honestly couldn't begin to answer.

But i have no doubt that the likes of isis are definitely growing in numbers and influence.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I think that you are queztioning me on the normal population of muslims and whether they are becoming more fundamental.

But i have no doubt that the likes of isis are definitely growing in numbers and influence.

I have no doubt that ISIS/ISIL are growing in numbers and influence too. How many people they are coercing into their nutjob world as opposed to people volunteering to join is a different question.

I'm pretty sure I read an article recently that said ISIS are getting weaker. A lot of the foreign jihadis are beginning to realise just what living in a caliphate means and are wanting to come home.

I'm desperately trying to find the article online but struggling.

I'm pretty sure I read an article recently that said ISIS are getting weaker. A lot of the foreign jihadis are beginning to realise just what living in a caliphate means and are wanting to come home.

I'm desperately trying to find the article online but struggling.

This article contains some elements of that, Norm:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2945724/ISIS-experiencing-shortage-suicide-bombers-dozens-fighters-desert-terror-group-defect-rival-militias.html

AlphonseCapone

They are in fact waging a religious war.

How can you possibly address the situation by bypassing their religion.

And yes acts of terror by muslims is probably the percentage you quote.

Im not tarring every muslim a terrorist dont know how many times i have to say that.

And once again i will say its mostly sectarian acts of terror against fellow muslims.

They are hijacking religion as a justification. If it was as simple as their religion more than 0.01% of muslims would be engaged in terrorism.

It is far more complex than you are alluding to and by viewing it in such a simplistic way we will never be able to combat it.

You post about Isis following the Koran more than others is utter nonsense, ******* isn't even in the realms of reality. Wish ***** would actually bother to read the thing before spout the same old rubbish.

I have not read it cover to cover but I have read large chunks, not just the passages often quoted by critics.

Sheriff Fatman

I have not read it cover to cover but I have read large chunks, not just the passages often quoted by critics.

You should read some of the Bible, it is just as violent and worrying as the Koran.

They are hijacking religion as a justification. If it was as simple as their religion more than 0.01% of muslims would be engaged in terrorism.

It is far more complex than you are alluding to and by viewing it in such a simplistic way we will never be able to combat it.

Who is viewing it simplistically not me.

Of course they are hijacking it but you cannot put it aside.

They are on jihad ffs.

Its amazing how easily you can attack christian beliefs and the bible but say that a war undertaken by a set of people who call it a holy war and base it on their bible and your somehow being simplistic.

I tell you we will never be able to combat anything until we can at least be honest .

Ooops sorry your jihad (holy war) is nothing to do with religion.

Chris Benoit

You should read some of the Bible, it is just as violent and worrying as the Koran.

:Agree:

I'd hate to meet the kind of person who turns to Leviticus to get some comfort

AlphonseCapone

Who is viewing it simplistically not me.

Of course they are hijacking it but you cannot put it aside.

They are on jihad ffs.

You are missing the point, they can say what they want, call it what they like. They could say they are doing it for the spaghetti god, doesn't mean we should actually blame spaghetti.

These guys are disillusioned young men, clearly with a lot of anger and resentment, and this 'cause' gives them an out, a chance to be part of something, to get back at a world they view as having wronged them. The fact religion is a cover is irrelevant. If it wasn't religion as a cover it would be something else.

maroonlegions

All religions in my view are institutions based on manipulative control through serevent based teachings. My own personal view is that Christianity is a rehash of older religious practises and beliefs like those from ancient  Babylonian and Sumerian religions. 

Is there ,however small  i may add ,comparisons to the Christian holy trinity and the Babylonian trinity??

Even ancient Egypt had its three main deities in Osiris, Isis and their son  Horus. Set could be viewed as a anti Christ like deity or opposite of Horus. Mary and Joseph are water downed to be non god like deities as opposed to Osiris and Isis.

The Babylonian religious deities also had a holy trinity like structure as seen below. When looked at it does seem to me that the first holy trinity concept pre dates Christianity and gives rise to my suspicion that Christianity is just a reboot or hybrid religion of older religions.    

For information on the relationship between Sumerian and Babylonian deities, see Chris Siren's FAQ.

[Additional Source: Who's Who in Non-Classical Mythology, by Egerton Sykes. Oxford University Press. 1993;

• Anshar
    The Babylonian god Anshar is the son of Tiamat and Apsu, brother and husband of Kishar.
  • Anu (An)
    The son of Anshar and Kishar. He is the chief god of the Great Triad, with Ea and Enlil. In Sumerian mythology, he was the god of sky, husband of Nintu (Ki), and the father and ruler of all gods. One of four Sumerian creating gods.

link; Who Are the Babylonian Gods and Goddesses?

Babylonian Gods and Goddesses. Ancient / Classical History.

You are missing the point, they can say what they want, call it what they like. They could say they are doing it for the spaghetti god, doesn't mean we should actually blame spaghetti.

These guys are disillusioned young men, clearly with a lot of anger and resentment, and this 'cause' gives them an out, a chance to be part of something, to get back at a world they view as having wronged them. The fact religion is a cover is irrelevant. If it wasn't religion as a cover it would be something else.

Yes i can see your points.

But as for disillusioned young men thats simply not the case.

Most suicide bombers for example are well educated and or have jobs.

And i dont blame the koran for the actions of these men and women.

But as someone else has alluded to the preachers and imans are in actual fact recruiting and encouraging these people.

It's also overlooked how worshipping Christians must do in secret in various parts of the Middle East for fear of reprisals.

They may be a minority there but they aren't even allowed the privilege of worshipping in private without fear.

It's also overlooked how worshipping Christians must do in secret in various parts of the Middle East for fear of reprisals.

They may be a minority there but they aren't even allowed the privilege of worshipping in private without fear.

And thats just the half of it.

And thats just the half of it.

Tell me more about how christians are oppressed.

Imagine choosing to following someone who threatens anyone that disagrees with them? Heaven must be full of shitebags, i'll take the fires of hell with the free thinkers please big man, they seem to have all the good music and films anyway

I'm well aware of that and I made reference to "holy books" deliberately not trying to pick on the koran.

The difference is, the gory bits of the Koran seem to be followed more widely, speaking in very general terms.

You can still find areas where the bible is too, there is still a lot of fundamentalism in the USA but it's not as prevalent.

It's not a nice thing to say but polling data bears it out. A far larger number of people in these countries say gays / apostates should actually be punished by law.

I think the main reasons for many Muslims appearing to be more backward are socioeconomic rather than the texts themselves. They simply come from poorer countries and don't reach the same levels of education.

Again you can find many exceptions, Saudi Arabia being the most obvious one. They are the richest and probably best educated, but probably the most backward.

Tell me more about how christians are oppressed.

Are you suggesting that is not the case?

Christians certainly aren't the most oppressed group but there are areas of the world where they are treated badly.

Should we not just argue against oppression wherever it is rather than making it a pissing contest?

Are you suggesting that is not the case?

I'm not, no. I said 'tell me more about christians being oppressed'. I was suggesting he tell me more about christians being oppressed. if i wanted to suggest that christians weren't being oppressed i'd have said, well, you know where i'm going with this.

It seems rather a defensive attitude to take, if you don't mind my saying.

I'm not, no. I said 'tell me more about christians being oppressed'. I was suggesting he tell me more about christians being oppressed. if i wanted to suggest that christians weren't being oppressed i'd have said, well, you know where i'm going with this.

Bigc

Ive found tuna to be a bit of a smart arse who says little but tries unsuccessfully to be clever.

Tuna coptic christian women are repeatedly abducted and lost to muslims.

Up until fairly recently they were afforded protection of sorts by the state.

Then the brotherhood cant really remember their name came to power and glives were of

This drew a response from the vatican amongst others.

Tuna i find you tend to creep up behind me with snidey remarks and when even confronted by other posters you say "who me".

I post my opinions im not a font of knowledge and im willing to accept other points of view.

You are not even close to being as clever as you think you are.

Seen you comin round the corner yesterday.

I'm don't mind you saying anything.

I just saw that post on it's own and thought "that's a bit weird", so I asked the question.

I now have the answer.

Chester™

But as for disillusioned young men thats simply not the case.

Most suicide bombers for example are well educated and or have jobs.

What a strange statement in two parts. Im not sure 'most' is the right term nor do I think that because you are well educated or have a job you cant be disillusioned.

Well that's what happens when you continually post in a mod edit manner.

When we think ?debate? religion on here, we?re generally talking about Christianity and Islam, both of which have their roots in Judaism, all three of which are linked through a sharing of prophets.  All three find their origins in the same fairly small area of land situated on a much bigger planet.  The thing that strikes me about these religions is that they rely fairly heavily on human vessels ? men on mountains speaking to burning bushes; a married virgin carrying the son of god; and a merchant being spoken to by an angel.  These supernatural elements (and you will find similar examples in Greek, Roman and Nordic mythologies ? and probably those from farther afield, too) are the bit that the rational part of me struggles with.  Quite simply, why does an all-powerful omnipotent being require to manifest itself via an individual in such strange ways rather than doing the obvious thing?

Religion is man-made for man?s purpose, is my rather simplistic conclusion.  Not about control?  Behave.  When a religion, to varying degrees, tells you what you should wear, what you should eat, when you should eat, what you mustn?t eat, who you can marry, when and how often you should worship, etc the I would suggest control is very much to the forefront. 

So I?m more or less aethiest, but I do no discount the possibility that there is ?something else? beyond my comprehension.  For I feel were I to declare unequivocally that there is ?nothing else?, that would be to display a similar type of arrogance as religious texts claiming to be gospel.  I listen to guys like Brian Cox and hear his absolute passion for his chosen field of science and his acknowledgement that we know so little ? I find that quite inspiring. 

Finally, to paraphrase Dawkins (who I also admire but find quite arrogant on occasion), the chances of us, as individuals, not existing far outweighs the chances of us existing.  I find that quite humbling.

Bigc

Ive found tuna to be a bit of a smart arse who says little but tries unsuccessfully to be clever.

Then the brotherhood cant really remember their name came to power and glives were of

Tuna i find you tend to creep up behind me with snidey remarks and when even confronted by other posters you say "who me".

I post my opinions im not a font of knowledge and im willing to accept other points of view.

:jjyay:

oemD5T4.png

Bigc

That's a real shame about the coptic christians, jake. People should be free to practise their beliefs safely.

JudyJudyJudy

That last sentence is a pretty bold and mental statement IMO. How did you quantify that?

Yea where do you have the evidence to support that last point ! Ludicrious really

What a strange statement in two parts. Im not sure 'most' is the right term nor do I think that because you are well educated or have a job you cant be disillusioned.

True what you say regarding disillusionment (dont know if thats a word)

I was just meaning that on the whole they are not people with nothing to lose.

Rudolf's Mate

I don't hate Christianity by the way, I just find it a little outdated and redundant as a way of defining ones self.

What I find more objectionable is the way that the war-like actions of some arsehole believers are condemned as religious acts, while religious nutters like the former US president can mention their own made up deity in speeches preceding murderous acts and nobody blames Christianity.

Is there any religion you believe in?

Adam Murray

I'd say on the whole, the UK is still seen as a Christian country, not a Christian country that rams it's belief down peoples throats or pressures people to follow those beliefs. In defence of Christianity, in this country anyway, it has slowly but surely moved with the times, unlike many of the other faiths. I certainly don't see any harm in people believing in something that brings comfort to them in times of trouble.

maroonlegions

Hearts are my religion, inasmuch  as they have great dominance over the evil green demonic vermin.

Our Ann who art in Tynie,

Hallowed be her name,

Fan ownership come,

Fan ownership done,

Who gave us our daily pride back,

Lead us not into the darkside,

But keep us from Hibs, 

For the Glory of Heart of Midlothian are ours

Now and forever.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Hearts are my religion, inasmuch as they have great dominance over the evil green demonic vermin.

Our Ann who art in Tynie,

Hallowed be her name,

Fan ownership come,

Fan ownership done,

Who gave us our daily pride back,

Lead us not into the darkside,

But keep us from Hibs,

For the Glory of Heart of Midlothian are ours

Now and forever.

:cornette:

Generic Username

I feel we've all got distracted from the real point of all this, which is just how nutty Christianity is (along with every other religion before people start rubbing sand into their lady parts)

Huge fan of the bible story about the bald lad who gets given dogs abuse by some kids for being a slap head, so he prays to God to smite them, next thing you know, all the kids get eaten by a bear. Well played God, well played.

I feel we've all got distracted from the real point of all this, which is just how nutty Christianity is (along with every other religion before people start rubbing sand into their lady parts)

Huge fan of the bible story about the bald lad who gets given dogs abuse by some kids for being a slap head, so he prays to God to smite them, next thing you know, all the kids get eaten by a bear. Well played God, well played.

I read the bible, it's mostly shite. Some real good stuff though.

It starts off ****ing all guns blazing - god makes the universe, adam and eve, the snake, sodom and gomorrah, noah and the flood - all those classic hits you know and love and all in the first 5 pages. But it blows its load too soon as soon enough you're reading a thirty page instruction manual on how to construct the arc of the covenant or list after list of people's names. The new testament picks up but once you've read one gospel you've kinda read them all, but in a chinese whispers kinda way. Then there's some nice letters and it picks up again with revalations, which is pretty special.

My favourite batshit mental bible story actually comes in that blockbuster start - after sodom and gomorrah is destroyed and Lot's wife is turned to a pillar of salt him and his two daughters go in to the desert to kinda take stock. HIs daughters decide the only rational next step is to get their old man hammered and rape him so that the blood line can be continued. It's a belter.

doctor jambo

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I seem to recall stats that indicated that medics made up a disproportionate % than they should....

In fact in relation to acts in Scotland in particular they make up an embarrassing 100%

Archived