Christianity

Guest Bilel Mohsni

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a lyric.

So there are things you hate, but you quoted a lyric that suggested otherwise? I can see how that makes sense.

Jeremy beagle

I go to church now and again. I enjoy it.

Very much this. I find it relaxing to have time to be thankful for what I have and to be involved within community. So many on kickback love to jump in and ridicule religion...but for me I get what I want from it. A sense of community, reflection and contentment.

This will undoubtably be met with various faceplams etc ....but I wish religion would not immediately be labeled.

Very much this. I find it relaxing to have time to be thankful for what I have and to be involved within community. So many on kickback love to jump in and ridicule religion...but for me I get what I want from it. A sense of community, reflection and contentment.

This will undoubtably be met with various faceplams etc ....but I wish religion would not immediately be labeled.

The only problem with religion, is humans.

Jeremy beagle

The only problem with religion, is humans.[/quote

Don't tar the vast majority....most follow religion in the right way.....peacefully with respect.

Hard core tub-thumping atheists are just as tiresome.

Contrary to most opinion the only religious types that I have a lot of respect for are those that at least try to spread the word of God and concert others. If you truly believe that those that don't believe are going to hell - how can you in good conscience not try and save others?

:rofl:

Wow.

It's never the religion, it's the person.

There have been good and evil Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, Jews, atheists, and almost every other belief system you care to mention, despite different belief systems advocating different mixes of love and hate.

If people want to believe in mythical beings then let them. But they can't complain if we don't respect their views.

We are all Stardust.

Many of the atoms in your body were forged by exploding stars that died billions of years before the earth was made. And the same is true for everything we see around us, the Earth and Planets and other stars.

The Universe has been here 13.7 billion years, that's almost 14 thousand million years. We have been here roughly 2 million years. If there was a God you'd have to ask "What's he been fannying around at?"

Making dinosaurs and the like I suppose...

Anyone else not a fan of religion but a believer in some kind of supreme being/god/something else?

Like a couple of others on here I quite like going into churches, generally when there aint a service on. I liked religious studies at school and have kind of drifted between beiieving and not all of my life.

When I was younger I was more "Too much ugliness in the world". Nowadays I'm more, "The world has so much beauty in it for it all to be random"

I dunno

The world would be a better place without religion.

It causes hatred from so many angles, whether that's football or even terrorism.

What clown actually believes that gods exist?

Anyone else not a fan of religion but a believer in some kind of supreme being/god/something else?

Like a couple of others on here I quite like going into churches, generally when there aint a service on. I liked religious studies at school and have kind of drifted between beiieving and not all of my life.

When I was younger I was more "Too much ugliness in the world". Nowadays I'm more, "The world has so much beauty in it for it all to be random"

I dunno

One of the nicest "quotes" I heard was from a woman being interviewed on Radio 4 many years back. A devout Christian, she was asked how she would feel if she died and (assuming there was some way she could be informed) realised that the bible had been complete nonsense. She replied that she would still be happy because she had led what she thought was a good life. It's all how you live life, not what you believe.

Me, the only thing of which I'm sure is that the chances of me being alive, of being a human being, of being me, and of being capable of experiencing everything I do is so infinitesimally small that I am one lucky, lucky bar steward. And I thank whatever fate/energy/randomness gave me this chance.

indianajones

I dunno

Not a fan of religion in the slightest and never go to church unless its a funeral really.

I do share the same idea as you regarding 'something else'. Working everyday in forests ive certainly become more 'aware' or 'enlightened' as I like to describe it. Cannot put my finger on it but its one of those things that you just know. 

Believe in what you want, but just live and let live and lead a fulfilling life as much as you can possibly be able to, respect people.

I look at my older family members in recent years ( some now gone) some still here and very unwell.

With age comes knowledge and your eyes open much wider. The world around us is a horrible place now, on edge , too nervy.

Enjoy yer time while yer here. It's all that matters.

Whatever you believe.

Felix Lighter

If people want to believe in mythical beings then let them. But they can't complain if we don't respect their views.

We are all Stardust.

Many of the atoms in your body were forged by exploding stars that died billions of years before the earth was made. And the same is true for everything we see around us, the Earth and Planets and other stars.

The Universe has been here 13.7 billion years, that's almost 14 thousand million years. We have been here roughly 2 million years. If there was a God you'd have to ask "What's he been fannying around at?"

A good while back, on a similar thread, there was a reply to your point about the universe being 14 billion years old which was along the lines of time being relative.If our universe was created by a being which exists outside the dimensions we experience then those 14 billion years might be the blink of an eye. 

They all deserve ridicule and none have my respect.

One is currently far worse and dangerous than the others. You're a liar, deluded or an apologist if you claim otherwise.

Psychedelicropcircle

On my FB page I'm a member of 'hearts are my religion and tynecastle is my church'

Haters gonna hate??

I dunno

I would love for there to be something else. I had a look at lots of different beliefs to see if I could find something that would support my view on the universe but also give some meaning.

The idea that complete and utter ?ber ***** can just do whatever the **** they want with no consequences is depressing. I wanted to believe that at some point, some kind of natural justice would prevail.

I haven't found anything to help me with that. I've had to come to terms with the fact that ***** exist and will get all the benefits of being a ***** while those who are genuinely nice people can be shafted in every way possible.

It's a horrible realisation to come to.

Should be ridiculed and hated just as much as other religious fantasies in a free civilisation.

Is it, in your experience Kickbackers?

:unsure:

Agreed.

Especially those parading tango men. :vrface:

Tynecastle Valhalla

Jesus loves you

Read one of the gospels

Life changing

So there are things you hate, but you quoted a lyric that suggested otherwise? I can see how that makes sense.

Wait - you think me saying "don't hate nothing at all, except hatred" suggests i don't hate anything. A thing that says you should hate hatred, and you think that suggests not hating anything. I know it's against the rules to have a go at someone for not being clever, so i'll pick my words carefully....

...actually, there's nothing i can say within the rules that allows me to express my feelings on that. Suffice to say you've given me a right good laugh.

I don't doubt that the lyrics to 'it's alright ma' don't make sense to you. It fits together perfectly actually.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I don't hate Christianity by the way, I just find it a little outdated and redundant as a way of defining ones self.

What I find more objectionable is the way that the war-like actions of some arsehole believers are condemned as religious acts, while religious nutters like the former US president can mention their own made up deity in speeches preceding murderous acts and nobody blames Christianity.

I don't hate Christianity by the way, I just find it a little outdated and redundant as a way of defining ones self.

What I find more objectionable is the way that the war-like actions of some arsehole believers are condemned as religious acts, while religious nutters like the former US president can mention their own made up deity in speeches preceding murderous acts and nobody blames Christianity.

I'd imagine some in the middle east probably blame christianity.

Chris Benoit

I'd like to be an atheist but I don't want to be associated with the condescending pricks who feel the need to berate a person for holding a belief that they don't share.

Organised religion is fair game as is the extremists who attach themselves to all religions but what satisfaction is there to be had in attacking someone for having something in their life that gives them comfort?

Geoff Kilpatrick

I'd like to be an atheist but I don't want to be associated with the condescending pricks who feel the need to berate a person for holding a belief that they don't share.

Organised religion is fair game as is the extremists who attach themselves to all religions but what satisfaction is there to be had in attacking someone for having something in their life that gives them comfort?

:spoton:

Just don't be an extremist atheist then.

You don't choose to be an atheist either. It's a label that describes what you think, rather than an option that dictates your thoughts or deeds. Don't believe in god? - then you're an atheist.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I'd imagine some in the middle east probably blame christianity.

Some most likely do. I optimistically hope the majority realise it's arseholes from both ideologies that are to blame.

Chris Benoit

Just don't be an extremist atheist then.

You don't choose to be an atheist either. It's a label that describes what you think, rather than an option that dictates your thoughts or deeds. Don't believe in god? - then you're an atheist.

Yeah I get that, I was trying (and failing) to be a smart arse.

Yeah I get that, I was trying (and failing) to be a smart arse.

Ah, the old 'i wouldnt join any club that had me as a member' schtick. cool.

Care to elaborate?

I'm with you. If i was a christian and i really believed it, the i'd be evangelical as ****. The bible's pretty unequivocal about the going forth and spreading the word. Moreoever, if i felt the only way to avoid eternal damnation was to be in with god/allah/whoever then i'd be keen for others to mend their ways. 

It all seems a pretty natural progression of believing in god/religion/afterlife. Some people find that hilarious though apparently.

Some most likely do. I optimistically hope the majority realise it's arseholes from both ideologies that are to blame.

Probably not. Otherwise this all would've ended a long time ago.

Truth is, the common people don't care or understand the bickering of a bunch of losers but have been born into a mentality so need to keep up the pretence otherwise the whole facade of their existence comes down. As for the folk who really care - i'd bet they don't even know what they're bickering about and it's just a sense of overinflated pride that keeps them from accepting that they have no real conflict other than that which they need to propogate to give their lives meaning. If you asked them what it was really all about they'd not be able to tell you what started it or even what keeps it going.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Probably not. Otherwise this all would've ended a long time ago.

Truth is, the common people don't care or understand the bickering of a bunch of losers but have been born into a mentality so need to keep up the pretence otherwise the whole facade of their existence comes down. As for the folk who really care - i'd bet they don't even know what they're bickering about and it's just a sense of overinflated pride that keeps them from accepting that they have no real conflict other than that which they need to propogate to give their lives meaning. If you asked them what it was really all about they'd not be able to tell you what started it or even what keeps it going.

Read a few accounts by people living in countries affected by ISIL control recently, and the most enlightening thing for me was how frustrated and saddened they are, and how they did not just blindly blame Christianity or Western influence.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

We were not created by a god. We know that now, seriously.

Where does that leave religion?

Still fiercely and often violently clung to by billions, despite the truth in your opening sentence.

niblick1874

The only problem with religion, is humans.

See this, I'm not sure if he exists so I wonder around trying to be nice (I think I do all right apart from the turn the other cheek thing but that's sort of understandable) because I figure that it was man that put the god fearing shit and the likes in the bible. If he is about when I die I'm sure he'll be quite reasonable and I'll be able to sit down with him and explain my actions. He'll be ok with them I'm sure. Well there may be a couple of things but their not that bad. :smiley2:

See this, I'm not sure if he exists so I wonder around trying to be nice (I think I do all right apart from the turn the other cheek thing but that's sort of understandable) because I figure that it was man that put the god fearing shit and the likes in the bible. If he is about when I die I'm sure he'll be quite reasonable and I'll be able to sit down with him and explain my actions. He'll be ok with them I'm sure. Well there may be a couple of things but their not that bad. :smiley2:

I treat people well because I'm a human with empathy and morals. I don't need rewarded for it when I die.

If I'm not allowed in heaven because I didn't worship this particular God then he isn't a god I'd like to worship.

That won't be the case though.

niblick1874

Still fiercely and often violently clung to by billions, despite the truth in your opening sentence.

Don't know about that. Where's the missing link. Don't mention youtube,  or aliens for that mater   :duck:

niblick1874

I treat people well because I'm a human with empathy and morals. I don't need rewarded for it when I die.

If I'm not allowed in heaven because I didn't worship this particular God then he isn't a god I'd like to worship.

That won't be the case though.

:angel:

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Don't know about that. Where's the missing link. Don't mention youtube, or aliens for that mater :duck:

The whole missing link thing is a bit misleading. There were many links between "ape-men" and homo habilis, some are known through fossil evidence, and others are yet to be uncovered. As recently as 2010 a new link species was discovered, in the form of a 2 million year old hominid with links to both modern humans and our more conventionally ape-like ancestors.

The title of the thread is Christianity, and the following is an aspect of that religion that should be remembered:

In 1600, Italian philosopher Giordano Bruno was burned alive as a heretic.  He was one of the 16th century?s most brilliant men.  He was convicted of ?holding erroneous opinions? about the Catholic faith, about the Trinity, about Christ, and about transubstantiation.  He was also convicted of denying the virginity of Mary, and of holding the belief that the Earth was not the centre of the Universe. 

Galileo almost suffered the same fate when he made similar claims about the Earth, but he recanted and was spared a horrific death, getting house-arrest for life instead. All Galileo?s writings were burned by the Church after his death.

Some other examples where entire libraries and scientific works were put to the torch by religious fanatics: 

The Library of Alexandria was burned by Christian zealots around 640AD.

In 448AD, Theodosius II ordered all non-Christian books everywhere to be burned. 

In 1492, all Jewish and Arabic books in Spain, some 24,000 volumes, were ordered burned by Spanish Inquisitor Torquemada.   

In 1486 the same Torquemada burned alive a mathematician who Torquemada said was seeking knowledge that was accessible only to God. 

In 1109, the Crusaders captured Tripoli, and over 100,000 books of Muslim learning were burned. 

Michael Servetus, a scientist, was burned as a heretic in Geneva in 1553, along with all his books on subjects such as medicine, mathematics, astronomy, and anatomy. 

In 1562, all the books of the Mayans, including many on astronomy and mathematics, were burned on the order of the Bishop of Yucatan.

But believing in a talking snake is OK, apparently. We can only speculate about where we would be as a species if all that knowledge and potential hadn't been destroyed. 

We are all Stardust.

Is that the one that goes, there was a big bang and then it began pish.

The one where the high priests of the religion of science, are about to the subservient people that, we made it all up again, but the new one weve proved.

But you said that about the last one, but youre scientists we must believe you.

Is that the one that goes, there was a big bang and then it began pish.

The one where the high priests of the religion of science, are about to tell the subservient people, that we made it all up again, but the new one weve proved.

But you said that about the last one, but youre scientists we must believe you.

Jambo 4 Ever

What was it Bush said?

The title of the thread is Christianity, and the following is an aspect of that religion that should be remembered:

In 1600, Italian philosopher Giordano Bruno was burned alive as a heretic. He was one of the 16th century?s most brilliant men. He was convicted of ?holding erroneous opinions? about the Catholic faith, about the Trinity, about Christ, and about transubstantiation. He was also convicted of denying the virginity of Mary, and of holding the belief that the Earth was not the centre of the Universe.

Galileo almost suffered the same fate when he made similar claims about the Earth, but he recanted and was spared a horrific death, getting house-arrest for life instead. All Galileo?s writings were burned by the Church after his death.

Some other examples where entire libraries and scientific works were put to the torch by religious fanatics:

The Library of Alexandria was burned by Christian zealots around 640AD.

In 448AD, Theodosius II ordered all non-Christian books everywhere to be burned.

In 1492, all Jewish and Arabic books in Spain, some 24,000 volumes, were ordered burned by Spanish Inquisitor Torquemada.

In 1486 the same Torquemada burned alive a mathematician who Torquemada said was seeking knowledge that was accessible only to God.

In 1109, the Crusaders captured Tripoli, and over 100,000 books of Muslim learning were burned.

Michael Servetus, a scientist, was burned as a heretic in Geneva in 1553, along with all his books on subjects such as medicine, mathematics, astronomy, and anatomy.

In 1562, all the books of the Mayans, including many on astronomy and mathematics, were burned on the order of the Bishop of Yucatan.

But believing in a talking snake is OK, apparently. We can only speculate about where we would be as a species if all that knowledge and potential hadn't been destroyed.

Looking at it like that it makes you wonder how far religion has set us back.

Look at the engineering feats of some of those civilisations. They weren't daft...

I'd bet more people throughout human history have died in the name god / allah / deity than anthing else ... other than natural causes

Hard core tub-thumping atheists are just as tiresome.

Contrary to most opinion the only religious types that I have a lot of respect for are those that at least try to spread the word of God and concert others. If you truly believe that those that don't believe are going to hell - how can you in good conscience not try and save others?

Equally, if you truly believe that by shooting a lot of infidels on the beach because, in good conscience, that's what you believe God wants you to do, you're going to do it, right?

And that's the thing about religion...as annoying, or horrifying or absurd the actions of those proclaiming to be doing God's will, the fact that they believe it is God's will makes reasoning with them regarding their actions impossible.

After all, who are we to dispute the word of God?

Guest Bilel Mohsni

So in fairness you have other links, or is it only Christain Hypocrisy that bothers you.

Hypocrite.

I was answering JiH s specific question. Are you saying other religions are full of hypocrisy too? If so, I agree with you. I'd happily pull up a few links to that effect, but I'm at work and on a phone. :)

Archived