Christianity

Guest Bilel Mohsni

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't think religion is about trying to control people? Threats of eternal damnation and burning in fires of hell aren't designed to control or modify behaviour? I don't think it's ignorant or lazy to suggest that control is exactly what it's all about. And despite having spent time with Christians and liking many Christians very much, I still believe this with every little fibre of my being.

What about the sex thing? Don't you think it's weird that the church gets so up in arms about that?

As for morality, most don't need the church to teach them right from wrong. It's pretty simple stuff.  Plus, it's hardly like there's no immoral stuff going on in churches anyway.

That's the thing that always rankles with me. God creates you and I flawed, basically setting us up to fail - because a couple of his creations messed up previously. That's not your fault nor my fault?

If we all used the same logic in bringing up our kids - since we created them and, until they are grown and educated we are far more powerful and knowledgeable - and to them, they probably assume we even created the environment, clothing and food that sustains and protects them and acted like God treats us - demanding worship, demanding sacrifices, making them ill just to "test them", setting rules they are unaware of because we put the book of rules in another town - and then punished them for transgressing said rules?

We would be sectioned or jailed. Perhaps an even better analogy is if I dump some cake crumbs on the garden path for the ants - then, when they don't praise me or build me a temple, I go back a week later and stomp all over them.

Why some people choose (well often they don't choose, they inherit due to an accident of birth) to praise a "being" who exhibits such behaviour is beyond me.

Not even close.

Of course theyre not but it seems so.

As for not being close Islamist driven insurgencie is by far the leading terrorist threat.

Now thats not to say they may or may not have legitimate reasons but the fact remains right across from south east asia to europe and north america they have commited acts of terror.

Other terror /freedom fighters are small potatoes in comparison.

Chris Benoit

The IRA is full of Muslim's...

Those tim Muslims blowing up all those proddy Muslims, where will it all end?

Not all muslims are terrorists but it seems all terrorists are muslims.

And i doubt very much a thread on Islam would be as critical without the accusation that you may level.

ie: says more about the poster.

ETA and the IRA say hi.

ETA and the IRA.

Sorry thats really not relevant.

Id suggest that theres going to never be a terrorist attack again from the IRA.

As for ETA they i think are more inclined to go the route that Scotland recently have gone down.

Anyway i feel like im painting myself into a corner here .

Interestingly though a quick succesion of posters jumped right in as soon as there was some critical language used against anything other than christianity.

So maybe the bombs found recently in NI aren't the IRA but they sure as hell aren't IS or Al Quaeda (sp).

Id like to also qualify that our democratically elected governments have killed more civilians than all terror/freedom fighter organisations.

Chris Benoit

Id like to also qualify that our democratically elected governments have killed more civilians than all terror/freedom fighter organisations.

Usually in the name of your god

The thing that annoys me about the debate on religion is the way that people are going so far out of their way to be inoffensive that they become completely detached from reality.

Take Teresa May for example. She said that Islamic Extremism is nothing to do with Islam...

Erm... Clue's in the name hen!

It all stems from the argument that the people who commit crimes are misreading the texts and following a perverted version of the religion.

Whilst I understand the sentiment of people who say that, it's actually the opposite.

It's the religious texts that are perverted. The reason that there aren't more terrorists / homophobes etc is because the majority of followers of all the major religions are fairly enlightened and ignore all the medieval stuff.

If you look at your average ISIS supporter and you look at what you're average Westernised Muslim objectively and ask yourself who is doing a better job of following the Koran and the Hadith, the answer is the ISIS guy.

The fact that most Muslims don't act like ISIS, despite being told that following the Koran is the best way to live your life and what god wants you to do, is a credit to the vast majority of Muslims who are good people.

The religious texts themselves are getting a free ride. The myth that they are full of love and peace is the thing that is holding back the debate on all forms of extremism.

Im sure there are many terrorists such as aryan nations etc.

But none are even close to the Islamic ideological terror groups.

Thats not me being anti muslim or a racist.

Thats just fact.

Chris Benoit

The thing that annoys me about the debate on religion is the way that people are going so far out of their way to be inoffensive that they become completely detached from reality.

Take Teresa May for example. She said that Islamic Extremism is nothing to do with Islam...

It all stems from the argument that the people who commit crimes are misreading the texts and following a perverted version of the religion.

Whilst I understand the sentiment of people who say that, it's actually the opposite.

It's the religious texts that are perverted. The reason that there aren't more terrorists / homophobes etc is because the majority of followers of all the major religions are fairly enlightened and ignore all the medieval stuff.

If you look at your average ISIS supporter and you look at what you're average Westernised Muslim objectively and ask yourself who is doing a better job of following the Koran and the Hadith, the answer is the ISIS guy.

The religious texts themselves are getting a free ride. The myth that they are full of love and peace is the thing that is holding back the debate on all forms of extremism.

:greatpost:

Usually in the name of your god

Not my god im athiest/agnostic.

And by the way it was done in your name.

We voted the government into power.

But hey i talk shite so what do i know .

Im sure there are many terrorists such as aryan nations etc.

But none are even close to the Islamic ideological terror groups.

Thats not me being anti muslim or a racist.

Thats just fact.

Since 9/11 the vast majority of terrorist attacks in the USA have been committed by white people.

Generic Username

ETA and the IRA.

Sorry thats really not relevant.

Id suggest that theres going to never be a terrorist attack again from the IRA.

As for ETA they i think are more inclined to go the route that Scotland recently have gone down.

Anyway i feel like im painting myself into a corner here .

Interestingly though a quick succesion of posters jumped right in as soon as there was some critical language used against anything other than christianity.

What is relevant then?

Brevik?

The Oklahoma bombers?

Just chocolate faces?

What is relevant then?

Brevik?

The Oklahoma bombers?

Just chocolate faces?

You see heres the trouble im now being cast as some kind of racist anti muslim .

Yes those two examples were acts of terror.

But look at the international picture from china and south east asia through the middle east and north africa.

Daily terrorist attrocities that we barely hear about.

All carried out by islamic fanatics.

But you go ahead and make me out to be a right wing kind of guy.

Generic Username

You see heres the trouble im now being cast as some kind of racist anti muslim .

Yes those two examples were acts of terror.

But look at the international picture from china and south east asia through the middle east and north africa.

Daily terrorist attrocities that we barely hear about.

All carried out by islamic fanatics.

But you go ahead and make me out to be a right wing kind of guy.

To paraphrase your earlier post;

"Not all Muslim's are terrorists but all terrorists are Muslim"

Or ridiculous words to that effect. You say something silly, you'll need to bite down and accept the fallout you naughty pickle.

To paraphrase your earlier post;

"Not all Muslim's are terrorists but all terrorists are Muslim"

Or ridiculous words to that effect. You say something silly, you'll need to bite down and accept the fallout you naughty pickle.

It seems all terrorists are muslims.

And ok not every single one but i bet 90% of terror acts commited in the last couple of years has been undertaken by a muslim.

Oh and by the way most of tge victims has probably been muslim.

I did also say that our democratically voted governments were responsible for more civilian deaths than all the terror groups put together.

Generic Username

You're some boy Jake. A bit of a moron, but I find it hard to want to do anything other than tussle your hair.

It seems all terrorists are muslims.

And ok not every single one but i bet 90% of terror acts commited in the last couple of years has been undertaken by a muslim.

Oh and by the way most of tge victims has probably been muslim.

I did also say that our democratically voted governments were responsible for more civilian deaths than all the terror groups put together.

The thing about terrorism is that it is designed to attract attention and so it's easy to lose perspective and see it as bigger than it is.

Arguing over the percentage of the world's "terrorists" who are Muslim is ignoring the fact that terrorism however defined is a small subset of global murders.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Should be ridiculed and hated just as much as other religious fantasies in a free civilisation.

Is it, in your experience Kickbackers?

:unsure:

Read something about religion & boys willys.

Its ok to have a willy but dont go waving it in folks faces (or something).

Point being religious beliefs are a private matter & we should not have in schools, on the BBC, at sporting events, on your door step on a Sunday morning or anywhere else other than inside private homes & within the walls of places of worship.

Do people still see the UK as a Christian country?

62% declare they are not religious. 36% say they are, and that includes all religions.

So, technically yes (through establishment), practically no.

http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2015/04/as-cameron-says-uk-still-a-christian-country-62-percent-tell-yougov-they-are-not-religious

The fact that most Muslims don't act like ISIS, despite being told that following the Koran is the best way to live your life and what god wants you to do, is a credit to the vast majority of Muslims who are good people.

Correct.

Apparently that means you're Islamophobic though.

fabienleclerq

I'd like to be an atheist but I don't want to be associated with the condescending pricks who feel the need to berate a person for holding a belief that they don't share.

Organised religion is fair game as is the extremists who attach themselves to all religions but what satisfaction is there to be had in attacking someone for having something in their life that gives them comfort?

Good post. I'm an atheist but don't feel the need too attack people's religion despite how alien it is to me. It seems the bad points get picked up on and the good ignored.

fabienleclerq

Another good post.

See all these people on here blabbing on about religion and control - what a load of shite.

Maybe these people should actually spend some time at Church and in the company of Christians - no one is trying to control anyone, it's just a myth put around by the ignorant and lazy-minded.

The Church has always sought to teach morality, but this is not the same as trying to control people. Maybe if more people paid attention to morality the world wouldn't be in the mess that it is in now, especially here in Britain.

Christianity does not control you, it sets you free.

****sake Ned Flanders :lol:

I always find it cringey when people say "you need mental help" on here...

But that is a line I'd only expect to hear from someone who has been classed as Insane.

You're some boy Jake. A bit of a moron, but I find it hard to want to do anything other than tussle your hair.

Oh your so hard.

Id say someone acting the big man while throwing insults is the moron.

And tussling my hair is about as far as you would get big man

Correct.

Apparently that means you're Islamophobic though.

Yeah, so I hear.

I'll take it a stage further too.

If you hold up a barbaric book and say to your kids "this is all the life lessons you need to be a good person" then you shouldn't act surprised if they are then radicalised by someone else, even if you have taught them right from wrong.

If you have been conditioned all your life to think a book is literally the word of God, then when you get to an age where you are vulnerable, we've seen that all it takes is a role model figure on line to say...

"You wanna be a good Muslim right, well stop ignoring the bits that Westerners don't like, read this passage and that passage and fall into my way of thinking".

The real villain is the groomer, but he wouldn't have had a chance if not for the reverence to the holy text instilled into the youngster.

So I suppose what I'm saying is, passing on the superstition of your parents to your kids and teaching them to think in absolutist non-critical ways, is part of the problem when that superstition is based on a text which is in large parts barbaric.

Yeah, so I hear.

I'll take it a stage further too.

If you hold up a barbaric book and say to your kids "this is all the life lessons you need to be a good person" then you shouldn't act surprised if they are then radicalised by someone else, even if you have taught them right from wrong.

If you have been conditioned all your life to think a book is literally the word of God, then when you get to an age where you are vulnerable, we've seen that all it takes is a role model figure on line to say...

"You wanna be a good Muslim right, well stop ignoring the bits that Westerners don't like, read this passage and that passage and fall into my way of thinking".

The real villain is the groomer, but he wouldn't have had a chance if not for the reverence to the holy text instilled into the youngster.

So I suppose what I'm saying is, passing on the superstition of your parents to your kids and teaching them to think in absolutist non-critical ways, is part of the problem when that superstition is based on a text which is in large parts barbaric.

You post about Isis following the Koran more than others is utter nonsense, ****ing isn't even in the realms of reality. Wish ***** would actually bother to read the thing before spout the same old rubbish.

Table 2: Ten countries with the most terrorist attacks, 2012

Country Total Attacks Total Killed Total

Wounded

Average Number Killed per Attack

Average Number Wounded per Attack

Pakistan 1404 1848 3643 1.32 2.59 Iraq 1271 2436 6641 1.92 5.23 Afghanistan 1023 2632 3715 2.57 3.63 India 557 231 559 0.41 1.00 Nigeria 546 1386 1019 2.54 1.87 Thailand 222 174 897 0.78 4.04 Yemen 203 365 427 1.80 2.10 Somalia 185 323 397 1.75 2.15 Philippines 141 109 270 0.77 1.91 Syria2 133 657 1787 4.94 13.44

? Although terrorist attacks occurred in 85 different countries in 2012, they were heavily concentrated geographically. Over half of all attacks (55%), fatalities (62%), and injuries (65%) occurred in just three countries: Pakistan, Iraq, and Afghanistan.

? The highest number of fatalities occurred in Afghanistan (2,632); however the country

with the most injuries due to terrorist attacks was Iraq (6,641).

? The average lethality of terrorist attacks in Nigeria (2.54 deaths per attack) is more than 50 percent higher than the global average of 1.64. The average lethality of terrorist attacks in Syria (4.94 deaths per attack) is more than 200 percent higher than the global average.

? The average number of people wounded per terrorist attack was especially high in Syria, where 1,787 people were reportedly wounded in 133 attacks, including four attacks that caused 670 injuries.

? In contrast, the rates of lethality for India (0.42 deaths per attack), the Philippines (0.77 deaths per attack), and Thailand (0.78 deaths per attack) were relatively low among the countries with the most attacks.

2 Given the relative paucity of international journalists reporting from Syria, the data pre

^^^^^^^^^^^

FAO audioslave .

Think you will find that the majority of terrorists are indeed muslim.

And that also the majority of victims are muslim.

The data predates the syrian situation.

Big man.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Isn't Islam the largest religion in the world?

How does that factor into this "analysis"?

Isn't Islam the largest religion in the world?

How does that factor into this "analysis"?

By 2070.

Generic Username

Oh your so hard.

Id say someone acting the big man while throwing insults is the moron.

Well, I'd you're a Christian or hold Christian values, you'll forgive me.

Generic Username

^^^^^^^^^^^

FAO audioslave .

Think you will find that the majority of terrorists are indeed muslim.

And that also the majority of victims are muslim.

The data predates the syrian situation.

Big man.

Hiya Jake.

In that world omelette you posted with lots of numbers and names of countries, I can't see the word Muslim mentioned once.

From 2013;

http://www.globalresearch.ca/non-muslims-carried-out-more-than-90-of-all-terrorist-attacks-in-america/5333619

Hiya Jake.

In that world omelette you posted with lots of numbers and names of countries, I can't see the word Muslim mentioned once.

From 2013;

http://www.globalresearch.ca/non-muslims-carried-out-more-than-90-of-all-terrorist-attacks-in-america/5333619

Your data talks about terror attacks in usa and europe.

World wide is the numbers i quoted.

I apologise for the poor layout.

To summarise for you pakistan iraq syria afghanistan and nigeria all suffered most attacks.

But you deny the obvious conclusion.

I once again will have to state im not islamophobic i merely stated the truth.

I will once again reiterate that its mostly muslims that are the victims and that the atrocities committed are of a sectarian nature.

And on a side note you have to wonder if the oldest trick in the imperial book has been used.

Divide and rule.

If you had read all my posts you would have noted that id said our govts were responsible for more civilian deaths.

Generic Username

Your data talks about terror attacks in usa and europe.

World wide is the numbers i quoted.

I apologise for the poor layout.

To summarise for you pakistan iraq syria afghanistan and nigeria all suffered most attacks.

But you deny the obvious conclusion.

I once again will have to state im not islamophobic i merely stated the truth.

I will once again reiterate that its mostly muslims that are the victims and that the atrocities committed are of a sectarian nature.

I've not denied anything Jake you silly sausage. What I have done is question the validity of your "all terrorists are Muslim" nonsense.

Again, you can't say something so silly that it'd raise a questionable eyebrow from a toddler and then act affronted when people speculate that those suggestions are more ridiculous than nipples on a skateboard.

Does terrorism happen? Yes

Do Muslim's carry out terrorist acts? Yes

Are ALL Muslim's terrorists? Of course not

The real focus shouldn't be "pesky Muslim's", it should be terrorism as a whole and how we tackle the problem of poor relations across all faiths. Slapping ridiculous percentages against one group certainly won't help.

Nookie Bear

I've not denied anything Jake you silly sausage. What I have done is question the validity of your "all terrorists are Muslim" nonsense.

Again, you can't say something so silly that it'd raise a questionable eyebrow from a toddler and then act affronted when people speculate that those suggestions are more ridiculous than nipples on a skateboard.

Does terrorism happen? Yes

Do Muslim's carry out terrorist acts? Yes

Are ALL Muslim's terrorists? Of course not

The real focus shouldn't be "pesky Muslim's", it should be terrorism as a whole and how we tackle the problem of poor relations across all faiths. Slapping ridiculous percentages against one group certainly won't help.

At this time there is only one group of terrorists that truly worry me, and it's in the name of Islam.

So let's focus on defeating these savages before we worry about the odd lone nutter in the USA, yeah?

Generic Username

At this time there is only one group of terrorists that truly worry me, and it's in the name of Islam.

So let's focus on defeating these savages before we worry about the odd lone nutter in the USA, yeah?

You'd like to defeat terrorism or Islam?

Archived