Christianity

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Generic Username

I read the bible, it's mostly shite. Some real good stuff though.

It starts off ******* all guns blazing - god makes the universe, adam and eve, the snake, sodom and gomorrah, noah and the flood - all those classic hits you know and love and all in the first 5 pages. But it blows its load too soon as soon enough you're reading a thirty page instruction manual on how to construct the arc of the covenant or list after list of people's names. The new testament picks up but once you've read one gospel you've kinda read them all, but in a chinese whispers kinda way. Then there's some nice letters and it picks up again with revalations, which is pretty special.

My favourite batshit mental bible story actually comes in that blockbuster start - after sodom and gomorrah is destroyed and Lot's wife is turned to a pillar of salt him and his two daughters go in to the desert to kinda take stock. HIs daughters decide the only rational next step is to get their old man hammered and rape him so that the blood line can be continued. It's a belter.

Done right under the nose of a God that's so furious about what's going on in Sodom & Gomorrah that he destroys the place. You've got to hand it to his daughters, they were a ballsy pair.

And let's not forget a 600 year old man, crafting a vessel capable of containing animals, then living on for another 300 odd years after that. It's some book.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Done right under the nose of a God that's so furious about what's going on in Sodom & Gomorrah that he destroys the place. You've got to hand it to his daughters, they were a ballsy pair.

And let's not forget a 600 year old man, crafting a vessel capable of containing animals, then living on for another 300 odd years after that. It's some book.

Noah, if we're taking the bible as the word of god, is the first man to not only get drunk, but decide to get naked to sleep off the effects.

"Noah, a man of the soil, proceeded to plant a vineyard. When he drank some of its wine, he became drunk and lay uncovered inside his tent."

#Lad

maroonlegions

Ark, na, everyone kens it was in fact a giant alien spaceship. :laugh4:

Geoff Kilpatrick

So spit it out what's bugging you, to much on a religious tone. :singlefinger:

*******ising the Lord's prayer into that!

:cornette:

Jambo 4 Ever

Where did all the people come from - all from Adam and Eve?  And then how did their kids have kids?

Where did all the people come from - all from Adam and Eve? And then how did their kids have kids?

Science im sure says we all come from only several people.

And one mother.

Stand to be corrected though.

And one mother.

Y'what now?

Noah, if we're taking the bible as the word of god, is the first man to not only get drunk, but decide to get naked to sleep off the effects.

"Noah, a man of the soil, proceeded to plant a vineyard. When he drank some of its wine, he became drunk and lay uncovered inside his tent."

#Lad

Noble in reason, yet so flawed in character.

Rudolf's Mate

Someone posted (might have been quoted from somewhere else) that Islam was 200 hundred years behind Christianity. Thoughts?

doctor jambo

Someone posted (might have been quoted from somewhere else) that Islam was 200 hundred years behind Christianity. Thoughts?

Some bits are, some are not.

Remember that bits of Christianity were up until relatively recently taking kids off people, and putting single mothers into workhouses, condemning gays and are still anti- contraception, let alone giving women parity in the church type jobs market.

let alone the sectarian schools policy in this country

Look at our marching season over here- factions of Christianity are still stuck in the past also

Y'what now?

Y'what now what?

Im sure we can all trace ourselves back to a small tribe in africa.

One mother.

500 i think.

Remember that bits of Christianity were up until relatively recently taking kids off people, and putting single mothers into workhouses, condemning gays and are still anti- contraception, let alone giving women parity in the church type jobs market.

Look at our marching season over here- factions of Christianity are still stuck in the past also

Orange walks are not really christian based though.

But yes the catholic churches crimes especially in ireland are horrendus.

Yet the irish even athiests still feel defensive of it.

Rudolf's Mate

True.

500 i think.

Can't remember who posted it but it did make me think.

Adam Murray

500 i think.

There are many good men and women in the West who try to resettle refugees, scold their fellow citizens for not doing more, donate money to philanthropic organizations, and strive to eliminate discrimination. They lobby governments to exempt minorities from the standards of behavior of Western societies; they fight to help minorities preserve their cultures, and thy excuse their religion from critical scrutiny. These people mean well, I have no doubt. But I believe that their well-intentioned activism is now a part of the very problem they seek to solve.

Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Somali-born American activist, writer, and politician

Jambo 4 Ever

And one mother.

What does the bible claim though?

Maple Leaf

Y'what now what?

Im sure we can all trace ourselves back to a small tribe in africa.

One mother.

Recent studies of modern DNA suggest that all humans, Homo Sapiens, are related, and our origins can be traced back to people living in east Africa.  There was one, or maybe several, migration(s) from there, and all of us are descended from those migrants.  The most recent migration was around 60,000 - 70,000 years ago.

No-one will ever know how many individuals were involved in the emigrations, but it was likely a few hundred, and it is also likely that there were an approximately equal number of males and females. In other words, more than one mother.

Recent studies of modern DNA suggest that all humans, Homo Sapiens, are related, and our origins can be traced back to people living in east Africa. There was one, or maybe several, migration(s) from there, and all of us are descended from those migrants. The most recent migration was around 60,000 - 70,000 years ago.

No-one will ever know how many individuals were involved in the emigrations, but it was likely a few hundred, and it is also likely that there were an approximately equal number of males and females. In other words, more than one mother.

Cheers for that.

Still amazing that a population of 7 billion has arisen from that number.

While im here.

Some say the bible stories are far fetched etc.

And i am an athiest/agnostic.

But for all those that look to science the latest theory is the theory of infinity.

Basically i think if all can be explained mathematically then for every mathematical equation you can always add one.

Which means anything is possible.

Apart from the emailers having a cup parade.

AlphonseCapone

While im here.

But for all those that look to science the latest theory is the theory of infinity.

Basically i think if all can be explained mathematically then for every mathematical equation you can always add one.

Drugs are bad.

Drugs are bad.

Depends on your outlook.

Some religions say no.

By the way im not kidding about the infinity theory.

And its mathematically possible.

If all we know can be explained by equation then add one.

Look it up

AlphonseCapone

Depends on your outlook.

Some religions say no.

By the way im not kidding about the infinity theory.

And its mathematically possible.

If all we know can be explained by equation then add one.

Look it up

I genuinely have no idea what your second last sentence actually means?

super_vlad

Certainly a weird thing for them to say. But in reality I'd say it was fuelled by oil and regime change rather than anything else.

Agree but I could say the exact same thing about IsIS, the fact that the ***** are taking the oil reserves and selling them on the black market and that asad was bombing his own people for a decade.

While im here.

Jake, WTF are you on about?!

Rudolf's Mate

I genuinely have no idea what your second last sentence actually means?

He's on about infinity in mathematics. Admittedly he's got a bit tangled but sure this is what he means.

Unfortunately if you have a definitive equation to explain something adding another one would return the incorrect result. A bit of a crap example but 1+1 = 2 which we all know. Adding another one doesn't make it 2!

Adam Murray

I suppose that could go along the same lines as that, just over a millennium ago most people took the bible/Koran/whatever, as gospel, then science came along with a whole different look on it, who's to say that in another 100-1000 years something else comes along to say science was wrong all along.

AlphonseCapone

I suppose that could go along the same lines as that, just over a millennium ago most people took the bible/Koran/whatever, as gospel, then science came along with a whole different look on it, who's to say that in another 100-1000 years something else comes along to say science was wrong all along.

I don't think science will ever be wrong in the way holy books are, I mean theories etc may change with new evidence but they will improve. Certain scientific facts will never likely be proven wrong though, the boiling point of hydrogen will always be -252.9 degrees.

He's on about infinity in mathematics. Admittedly he's got a bit tangled but sure this is what he means.

Unfortunately if you have a definitive equation to explain something adding another one would return the incorrect result. A bit of a crap example but 1+1 = 2 which we all know. Adding another one doesn't make it 2!

The theory of infinity.

If everything around us can be explained by a mathematical equation.

For example the speed of light

Or the molecules of water.

Then it makes anything possible because which ever sum you have you can always +1.

I will look for a link but its all linked to parallel universes and dark matter.

Admittedly i was a wee bit out of it last night but this genuinely is the new wave of science.

Anything is possible.

AlphonseCapone

Yeah I got the infinity part, it was the adding 1 thing haha, I thought either he is mental or actually a genius.

Science knows it's wrong a lot of the time. And because of this scientists keep testing theories and actively trying to disprove them. Science doesn't know everything; if it did, then it would stop.

Religion says it has all the answer but has done no work whatsoever to come to those answer and has no interest in scrutinizing those answer with an aim of improving them.

BBC Four..........Infinity and beyond mathematics.

Think you could probably watch it through the net.

Yeah I got the infinity part, it was the adding 1 thing haha, I thought either he is mental or actually a genius.

Just seen it on the tele mate.

But i admit more to the mental side but in a good way.

Rudolf's Mate

BBC Four..........Infinity and beyond mathematics.

Think you could probably watch it through the net.

Thing is when I first read your post that I quoted I actually 100% got it and totally agreed. Then my practical side kicked in and in simplifying things used the 1+1 example.

I'm torn tbh as I kinda agree with you but don't :lol:

AlphonseCapone

Just seen it on the tele mate.

But i admit more to the mental side but in a good way.

I'll see if I can find the programme you mean later.

maroonlegions

*******ising the Lord's prayer into that!

:cornette:

What, you seriously getting all drama queened up over it , seriously, feck me.   :cornette:

What 'rules' are in the New Testament that are outdated today?

I'd argue that a lot, if not all, of the seven deadly sins hold back the human race.

Sheriff Fatman

What 'rules' are in the New Testament that are outdated today?

The rules are in the Old Testament and Joshua did say ""Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. "For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.?"

Rather a lot of the rules in the Old Testament are extremely outdated, not least such doozies as not mixing fabrics in clothing, not trimming your beard, not cutting you hair at the sides, not getting tattoos and not selling land permanently.

jambo lodge

There is only one new commandment in the New Testament and it replaces all others.....to love one another.

deesidejambo

There is only one new commandment in the New Testament and it replaces all others.....to love one another.

Yes but what about Chick young?   He's a total divot.

Sheriff Fatman

No it doesn't, the man himself said that 'not the smallest letter or a stoke will pass from law until all is accomplished'. It is patently obvious that all is not accomplished.

Are you just another that picks and chooses which bits of Joshua's teachings to follow and which are so awkward that they are best ignored? 

jambo lodge

Well my Bible is very clear that Jesus ( Matthew 5 ) fulfilled the law for me because it was/is simply impossible for mankind to keep God's law. That's the awesome thing about Grace that distinguishes Christianity from all other religions. Hebrews 8 will also confirm that the old covenant with its emphasis on the law was made obsolete His sacrifice the cross.

Well my Bible is very clear that Jesus ( Matthew 5 ) fulfilled the law for me because it was/is simply impossible for mankind to keep God's law. That's the awesome thing about Grace that distinguishes Christianity from all other religions. Hebrews 8 will also confirm that the old covenant with its emphasis on the law was made obsolete His sacrifice the cross.

there was no sacrifice. Jesus died . But jesus is god thus he knew he would be fine. Thus not a sacrifice.

Archived