Christianity

Guest Bilel Mohsni

See all these people on here blabbing on about religion and control - what a load of shite.

Maybe these people should actually spend some time at Church and in the company of Christians - no one is trying to control anyone, it's just a myth put around by the ignorant and lazy-minded.

The Church has always sought to teach morality, but this is not the same as trying to control people.  Maybe if more people paid attention to morality the world wouldn't be in the mess that it is in now, especially here in Britain.

Christianity does not control you, it sets you free.

If Christianity is about morality, why do they teach horribly immoral and nasty prejudices against homosexuals? Suicide figures of young, gay people from religious families and backgrounds has always been way beyond national averages.

Why are horrible and immoral people allowed to enter heaven if they beg for forgiveness and accept Jesus? If child raping priests get into heaven once they've repented for their sins, that doesn't sound like the sort of place I want to hang around in the afterlife tbh.

It's all just so transparent and absurd. Believe the same as us or you're damned. What part of that is about morality?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fort Vallance

Should be ridiculed and hated just as much as other religious fantasies in a free civilisation.

Is it, in your experience Kickbackers?

:unsure:

The Christian in me says I should turn the other cheek and let you have your opinion like anyone else is entitled to.            The other side of me suggests you're bitter. 

niblick1874

I would love for there to be something else. I had a look at lots of different beliefs to see if I could find something that would support my view on the universe but also give some meaning.

The idea that complete and utter ?ber ***** can just do whatever the **** they want with no consequences is depressing. I wanted to believe that at some point, some kind of natural justice would prevail.

I haven't found anything to help me with that. I've had to come to terms with the fact that ***** exist and will get all the benefits of being a ***** while those who are genuinely nice people can be shafted in every way possible.

It's a horrible realisation to come to.

I agree on the hole. When people tell me what goes around comes around It makes me furious inside but I tend to keep it there(one of the very rare times I have come across that happening is hibs :laugh4:) People seem to think it happens all over the place but It doesn't. I try my best to be a thoughtful caring understanding civilized human being but in my life I have found that there are those that will take advantage of me because of that. To counteract that I will be their worst nightmare and I am of the opinion that they deserve it. I have come across more staunch Christians than others religons and some of them have been real doosies however some have been genuily wonderful people, so much so that they have made me want to cry. If I had to choose a religion it would be Christianity because it would be more suited to the way I want to live my life (I would make my own mind up how God would want it to be and interpret the bible appropriately). Ps some of the coments about religion on this thread are as mindless and as bad as the worst religiously closed minded there are.  pps sorry about the spelling.           

Guest Bilel Mohsni

The Christian in me says I should turn the other cheek and let you have your opinion like anyone else is entitled to. The other side of me suggests you're bitter.

Bitter is an interesting choice of word. I suppose I am a wee bit annoyed at some of the bad things that have been done in the name of Christianity throughout time, but "bitter" would suggest I have been personally wronged by Christianity, or that I feel Christianity has affronted me in some way. I would only really say I am bitter about Christianity's impact on the world, as we all should be with anything that has a negative impact on the well-being of society. I realise good is done in the name of Christiqnity too, but I fall on the side of suspecting more harm is done by comparison.

Riddley Walker

See all these people on here blabbing on about religion and control - what a load of shite.

Maybe these people should actually spend some time at Church and in the company of Christians - no one is trying to control anyone, it's just a myth put around by the ignorant and lazy-minded.

The Church has always sought to teach morality, but this is not the same as trying to control people. Maybe if more people paid attention to morality the world wouldn't be in the mess that it is in now, especially here in Britain.

Could you expand on your last sentence?

The Church has always sought to teach morality, but this is not the same as trying to control people.  Maybe if more people paid attention to morality the world wouldn't be in the mess that it is in now, especially here in Britain.

You don't think religion is about trying to control people? Threats of eternal damnation and burning in fires of hell aren't designed to control or modify behaviour? I don't think it's ignorant or lazy to suggest that control is exactly what it's all about. And despite having spent time with Christians and liking many Christians very much, I still believe this with every little fibre of my being.

What about the sex thing? Don't you think it's weird that the church gets so up in arms about that?

As for morality, most don't need the church to teach them right from wrong. It's pretty simple stuff.  Plus, it's hardly like there's no immoral stuff going on in churches anyway.

Generic Username

The Church has always sought to teach morality, but this is not the same as trying to control people. Maybe if more people paid attention to morality the world wouldn't be in the mess that it is in now, especially here in Britain.

Cornette squared.

"Jesus love's me yes I know for the bible tells me so"

From the age of five I sang this at primary and Sunday school. Was I or (more realistically) my parents given an option? No.

You state "No one is trying to control anyone" you're right, it's the whole controlling system.

Young children should not have one religion forced upon them. Let them mature and after the process of education they can decide for themselves.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Primary School: "God bless our food and make us good, for Jesus' sake, amen.

Hymns at morning assembly etc.

Non-denominational school though. :lol:

Primary School: "God bless our food and make us good, for Jesus' sake, amen.

Hymns at morning assembly etc.

Non-denominational school though. :lol:

Only Christmas, and end of year church.

I bet you try to spoil xmas at work.

Craig Gordons Gloves

"Jesus love's me yes I know for the bible tells me so"

From the age of five I sang this at primary and Sunday school. Was I or (more realistically) my parents given an option? No.

You state "No one is trying to control anyone" you're right, it's the whole controlling system.

Young children should not have one religion forced upon them. Let them mature and after the process of education they can decide for themselves.

I got chucked out of Sunday school for firing sucker arrows at the teacher. Wee small ones about 4 inches long.  

I was 'made' to go to church/sunday school until I was old enough to decide for myself if i wanted to go or not.  I chose the not.  I don't hold this against my parents, they had a set of beliefs which they wanted me (and my sister and brother) to have and as children, your parents are the decider of what you do and don't do.  I actually quite enjoyed it sometimes - sunday school picnics to Dalkeith adventure playground etc.  Now - not one of us goes to church, including my mum who used to go every week.  

I know many people who are Christians and they don't try and force it on me in the same way i don't try and force my agnostic beliefs on them. They're happy with their lives and i'm happy with mine. It all works well.  What annoys me is when politicians in the US use their overt Christianity to try and curry favor with people.  Additionally, it also annoys me when people use Christianity as an excuse for their own prejudices. Fervent believers do my head in, those more tolerant and recognizing that different beliefs exist are cool in my opinion. That goes for any religion to be honest. 

michael_bolton

Yeah, they're about power. But for me power and religion are often completely inextricably entwined throughout history anyway.

And you come so close to grasping the point, yet miss it.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Only Christmas, and end of year church.

I bet you try to spoil xmas at work.

We sang hymns every single morning and recited that lunch blessing every day too.

I actually love Christmas. It's one of those few times where all my nearest and dearest are able to get together. We eat drink and be merry. I'm glad there is a chance to do it, even if it takes a made up pretend Birthday of an immortal carpenter to do it.

I'm also a hoot on Christmas work parties. :)

Fort Vallance

Bitter is an interesting choice of word. I suppose I am a wee bit annoyed at some of the bad things that have been done in the name of Christianity throughout time, but "bitter" would suggest I have been personally wronged by Christianity, or that I feel Christianity has affronted me in some way. I would only really say I am bitter about Christianity's impact on the world, as we all should be with anything that has a negative impact on the well-being of society. I realise good is done in the name of Christiqnity too, but I fall on the side of suspecting more harm is done by comparison.

Maybe bitter was the wrong choice of word. And it wasn't intended to offend anyway. Whatever the right word is it seemed to me that something at sometime related to Christianity at some point had an effect on you. Enough to start the thread. I go to church. It's not compulsory and I go when I want to. For what it's worth, my kids don't go and neither do my grandchildren. They've never shown any inclination and I've certainly never pushed them in that direction.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Maybe bitter was the wrong choice of word. And it wasn't intended to offend anyway. Whatever the right word is it seemed to me that something at sometime related to Christianity at some point had an effect on you. Enough to start the thread. I go to church. It's not compulsory and I go when I want to. For what it's worth, my kids don't go and neither do my grandchildren. They've never shown any inclination and I've certainly never pushed them in that direction.

Yeah, no worries man. Sorry if I was unnecessarily arsey in my reply.

I think Maple Leaf sums things up pretty well in terms of why I would have any animosity towards religion, and specifically Christianity. I struggle with people choosing to believe something that has no scientific basis, even to the point of attacking the same science that is dedicated to trying to better our understanding of ourselves and our planet and universe.

I galls me a wee bit when world leaders of powerful countries use god as a reason for actions, all these years after the enlightenment and the way pioneering scientists were treated in the past.

Maybe bitter was the wrong choice of word. And it wasn't intended to offend anyway. Whatever the right word is it seemed to me that something at sometime related to Christianity at some point had an effect on you. Enough to start the thread. I go to church. It's not compulsory and I go when I want to. For what it's worth, my kids don't go and neither do my grandchildren. They've never shown any inclination and I've certainly never pushed them in that direction.

Nice.  :thumbsup:

Individuals should be allowed to make up their own mind on what is, ultimately, a very personal matter.

It makes me quite angry when I think back to all the Christian nonsense I had to endure in primary school.

Forced to spend time learning about Jesus and singing hyms when literally any other school activity would have been infinity more beneficial to me as a child.

Riddley Walker

It makes me quite angry when I think back to all the Christian nonsense I had to endure in primary school.

Forced to spend time learning about Jesus and singing hyms when literally any other school activity would have been infinity more beneficial to me as a child.

Same here, we had to sing hymns every morning and take part in other shite.

I'd move my kid school if they were forced to do that now.

I seen someone post an angry status on Facebook last month because their child came home with a worksheet about the pillars of Islam.

Half a dozen equally outraged parents commented about how out of order it is for them to teach their kids about Muslims.

The general public are the worst.

niblick1874

If I was in a room with a Christian and he told me I was a bad person for not being a Christion, I would try and have a discussion with him and put my point of view over. If he refused to budge It would not bother me much. If I was in a room with george soros and he told me I was a bad person for not agreeing with his philosophy and actions in his life, words would not be a part of my answer. There is a difference. If the question was should we ridicule and hate some of what Christianity has done ( the reasons of which had nothing to do with Christianity) in the name of God throughout history then of course we should but to go out and do that willy nilly to christians then the answer is no. There are much bigger fish to fry.  The george soros's of this world are encouraging this kind of shit and it's just a distraction.    

Aww, poor me had sing hymns and learn about Jesus, boo hoo.

Even as a 7 year old I knew it was nonsense and a waste of my time. What's your excuse?

Guest Bilel Mohsni

How would you feel if kids were made to sing Scientology songs at school?

I couldn't give two fecks.

Even as a 7 year old I knew it was nonsense and a waste of my time. What's your excuse?

I don't have one, I've never believed in God, but waarmers who think they know it all, I dislike more.

Aggressive Atheists get right on my tits.

I also sang hymns said prayers and got some Bible teaching at school.  Being during the war I was also encouraged to sing songs of victory in battle, and pray for victory which meant vanquishing our enemies, their children were also singing hymns, praying for victory, and the defeat of their enemy. All to the same God and belief in the same Bible. At burial services the same prayers were offered to the same God for the fallen.

Some suggest Hitler was acting in a religious vein when he was destroying the Jews, it was not it was totally commercial, and political, as he thought they had caused defeat in WW1, and they were ruining the German economy. Religion is like everything else, you can interpret it the way you want, you can use it to justify actions, the reason for taking actions, but when the rubber hits the road the actions thoughts and reasons are all humanly instigated.

A brief reciting of the Lords Prayer to oneself shows how far man has wandered from the path he has promised to keep.  God is obviously listening and he is pissed.

niblick1874

I got chucked out of Sunday school for firing sucker arrows at the teacher. Wee small ones about 4 inches long.  

I was 'made' to go to church/sunday school until I was old enough to decide for myself if i wanted to go or not.  I chose the not.  I don't hold this against my parents, they had a set of beliefs which they wanted me (and my sister and brother) to have and as children, your parents are the decider of what you do and don't do.  I actually quite enjoyed it sometimes - sunday school picnics to Dalkeith adventure playground etc.  Now - not one of us goes to church, including my mum who used to go every week.  

I know many people who are Christians and they don't try and force it on me in the same way i don't try and force my agnostic beliefs on them. They're happy with their lives and i'm happy with mine. It all works well.  What annoys me is when politicians in the US use their overt Christianity to try and curry favor with people.  Additionally, it also annoys me when people use Christianity as an excuse for their own prejudices. Fervent believers do my head in, those more tolerant and recognizing that different beliefs exist are cool in my opinion. That goes for any religion to be honest. 

I agree with this and as for the politicians bit, if people can't see the difference between the way that the likes of them have used Christianity throughout history and how false they are as apposed to your normal Christian, they're not very astute.

My own personal view is this: religion is about control. It's also a means of trying to make it more palatable to sentient beings that actually, we are born, we live, we might make new humans or we might not, then we die and we become part of the earth again. There is no hidden meaning of life that will make our existence any more meaningful or important, we just come and spend some time here then we go again. Some people can't stomach this idea, I get that. I don't understand the concept of death or nothingness thereafter either, but I think I'm comfortable with it.

Plus, religions are completely and utterly obsessed with sex. Who has sex, when they have sex, how they have sex, who they have sex with, why they have sex. Oh sod off, it's just so weird and creepy. Control, control, control.

I agree that religion was about control.

Every civilisation had it in some form.

It was the politics of the time.

But i do wonder about the spirituality of humans.

Are we really just a collection of atoms.

We have morality and abstract thought.

Sometimes hope there is some kind of hell for the monsters that carry out horrific crimes.

Good point.

Education should definitely be secular.

I also sang hymns said prayers and got some Bible teaching at school.  Being during the war I was also encouraged to sing songs of victory in battle, and pray for victory which meant vanquishing our enemies, their children were also singing hymns, praying for victory, and the defeat of their enemy. All to the same God and belief in the same Bible. At burial services the same prayers were offered to the same God for the fallen.

Some suggest Hitler was acting in a religious vein when he was destroying the Jews, it was not it was totally commercial, and political, as he thought they had caused defeat in WW1, and they were ruining the German economy. Religion is like everything else, you can interpret it the way you want, you can use it to justify actions, the reason for taking actions, but when the rubber hits the road the actions thoughts and reasons are all humanly instigated.

A brief reciting of the Lords Prayer to oneself shows how far man has wandered from the path he has promised to keep.  God is obviously listening and he is pissed.

Thank feck, we're not relying on this lot to fight, we'd be doomed.

Good point.

Education should definitely be secular.

Is that the Education for all, the Church of Scotland, introduced.

Is that the Education for all, the Church of Scotland, introduced.

Also a good point.

We have moved on though.

Sheriff Fatman

Thank feck, we're not relying on this lot to fight, we'd be doomed.

We are certainly not relying on you.

Sheriff Fatman

Wasn't born.

Nor were the vast majority of those that you take great delight in trying to start an argument with at every conceivable opportunity, so your post 'Thank feck, we're not relying on this lot to fight, we'd be doomed.' is moot

Nor were the vast majority of those that you take great delight in trying to start an argument with at every conceivable opportunity, so your post 'Thank feck, we're not relying on this lot to fight, we'd be doomed.' is moot

Not picking any fights, Christian bashing alright with you is it?.

Riddley Walker

Discussing whether or not Christianity deserves to be ridiculed isn't Christian-bashing though.

Christians, like those of any religion, should not be entertained and should receive as much ridicule as other religions.

Discussing whether or not Christianity deserves to be ridiculed isn't Christian-bashing though.

Christians, like those of any religion, should not be entertained and should receive as much ridicule as other religions.

Read your post, you say its not bashing, then you bash away.

Thousands of 'heretics' were burned alive in Europe in the Second Millennium, as well as tens of thousands of 'witches'.

If the payback for all of that is a few critical posts on an internet forum, that's pretty mild bashing, no?

Riddley Walker

Read your post, you say its not bashing, then you bash away.

I'm answering the original question, I'm not just hammering it for the sake of it.

Maybe you could start a forum where only positive things are allowed to be said?

That would be great.

Sheriff Fatman

When it deserves it yes, in the same way as any religion, philosophy, or life style should be confronted when it does something that deserves it.

Giving anything a blind pass just because of history/tradition is not only lazy, it is what causes things to stagnate and die.

When it deserves it yes, in the same way as any religion, philosophy, or life style should be confronted when it does something that deserves it.

Giving anything a blind pass just because of history/tradition is not only lazy, it is what causes things to stagnate and die.

All true, I agree.

So where's the ridicule of Islam thread, it certainly deserves it, going by your post and the murders in Tunisia.

Or is that not allowed.

All true, I agree.

So where's the ridicule of Islam thread, it certainly deserves it, going by your post and the murders in Tunisia.

Or is that not allowed.

The OP already assumes that Islam is ridiculed.

Sheriff Fatman

All true, I agree.

Or is that not allowed.

No idea, but every time there is a post on terrorist atrocities it descends into eaxatly what you are asking for. You could just start one if you really have something more than the usual 'all Muslims are terrorists' tripe that tells you more about the poster than the religion.

However, as the vast majority of those that post on here were brought up in the Western Christian tradition we have a vastly greater knowledge of that culture and it's deficiencies and strengths so there are always going to be more threads on that subject.

No idea, but every time there is a post on terrorist atrocities it descends into eaxatly what you are asking for. You could just start one if you really have something more than the usual 'all Muslims are terrorists' tripe that tells you more about the poster than the religion.

However, as the vast majority of those that post on here were brought up in the Western Christian tradition we have a vastly greater knowledge of that culture and it's deficiencies and strengths so there are always going to be more threads on that subject.

Not all muslims are terrorists but it seems all terrorists are muslims.

And i doubt very much a thread on Islam would be as critical without the accusation that you may level.

ie: says more about the poster.

Sheriff Fatman

Not all muslims are terrorists but it seems all terrorists are muslims.

Not even close.

Not all muslims are terrorists but it does seem that all terrorists are muslims.

Also i very much doubt a thread on Islam would be as critical as anyone with such a viewpoint would be labelled in yhe manner you ascertain.

Ie: says more about the poster than the religion.

There is no doubt that christianity was used in a violent repressive way.

As mostly all empire building nations or ideologically driven empires were throughout history.

Cannot think of one exception.

Archived