Recommend a tv series

Walter Bishop

19 hours ago, Cade said:

Fargo Season 5 finale was superb

:verysmug:

Agreed, loved it. 

Only thing I wanted to see more of was the shootout! 

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Tazio

• Carl Fredrickson

• Ray Gin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

Agreed, loved it. 

Only thing I wanted to see more of was the shootout! 

They'd filmed a bit more but had to cut it for running time.

In the end, cutting it does kind of fit the story and the lesson too; Jim-Bob and his Gravy Seal buddies were never going to have an epic, heroic, suicidal last-stand martyrdom for Freedom and God.

They were up against hardened federal combat forces. The redneck yahoos simply got annihilated.

No air-time, no publicity, no fame. Just a harsh lesson in the reality of their situation.

The shoot-out was just background noise anyways, we were supposed to be following our main cast, and we did that.

Spoiler

Many people got all upset about the final scene with Munch and Dot "dragging on when we could have had more shoot-out" but they're missing the entire point.

That final scene was teaching about what Christianity is supposed to be about; acceptance, forgiveness and repentance.
A rejection of the far-right, gun-toting gobshite perversion of Christianity espoused by both Roy and Lorraine.

Lorraine even mentions Old Testament justice in dealing with Roy.

Meanwhile Nadine, who had died (according to Lorraine, after 7 years she could have been legally declared dead) and been resurrected as Dot was absolving Munch of all his sins and sealing the deal by sharing a bread product (this is my body?).
The symbolism is strong with this one.

Edited by Cade

14 minutes ago, Cade said:

In the end, cutting it does kind of fit the story and the lesson too; Jim-Bob and his Gravy Seal buddies were never going to have an epic, heroic, suicidal last-stand martyrdom for Freedom and God.

They were up against hardened federal combat forces. The redneck yahoos simply got annihilated.

No air-time, no publicity, no fame. Just a harsh lesson in the reality of their situation.

The shoot-out was just background noise anyways, we were supposed to be following our main cast, and we did that.

Hide contents

Many people got all upset about the final scene with Munch and Dot "dragging on when we could have had more shoot-out" but they're missing the entire point.

That final scene was teaching about what Christianity is supposed to be about; acceptance, forgiveness and repentance.
A rejection of the far-right, gun-toting gobshite perversion of Christianity espoused by both Roy and Lorraine.

Meanwhile Nadine, who had died (according to Lorraine, after 7 years she could have been legally declared dead) and been resurrected as Dot was absolving Munch of all his sins and sealing the deal by sharing a bread product (this is my body?).

A man agrees.

Edited by AndyNic

JudyJudyJudy
21 hours ago, Cade said:

Hide contents

Thanks for that analysis . I thought as much whilst watching it , regarding the religious analogies , it was an excellent finale . It was a tense ending though as one thought that he might flip but he didn’t . The acting was superb and Jennifer Jason Leigh seemed to be channelling a haughty Katherine Hepburn too . It was a brave ending 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

Snowfall, seemingly just recently landed on BBC iPlayer from FX, 6 seasons, set in LA 1983 at the start of crack cocaine epidemic, 1st season takes a bit of getting into but most of the way through season 2 and really enjoying it, first season gets a lowly 62% on rotten tomatoes but every season after that getting 100% scores   

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Ribble said:

Snowfall, seemingly just recently landed on BBC iPlayer from FX, 6 seasons, set in LA 1983 at the start of crack cocaine epidemic, 1st season takes a bit of getting into but most of the way through season 2 and really enjoying it, first season gets a lowly 62% on rotten tomatoes but every season after that getting 100% scores   

I’ve heard good things about this so I’ll give it a go after I finished second season of “ kin “ 

39 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I’ve heard good things about this so I’ll give it a go after I finished second season of “ kin “ 

Yeah like I said you need to kinda persevere with the 1st season, I still found it decent but wasn't hooked until it gets into second season 

JudyJudyJudy
25 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Yeah like I said you need to kinda persevere with the 1st season, I still found it decent but wasn't hooked until it gets into second season 

I’ll give it a whirl 

Well after threatening to jump the shark Reacher eventually did it in episode 8. 

Spoiler

The sequence with the helicopter flying away and the subsequent action scene after Reacher climbed into it after grabbing it as it took off would make the makers of Fast And Furious blush with embarrassment  

Edited by Tazio

JudyJudyJudy

I enjoyed " Kin". An Orish " Sopranos".  Over the top nonsense but entertaining really. 8/10.  Hope there is a season 3

16 hours ago, Tazio said:

Well after threatening to jump the shark Reacher eventually did it in episode 8. 

Reveal hidden contents

The sequence with the helicopter flying away and the subsequent action scene after Reacher climbed into it after grabbing it as it took off would make the makers of Fast And Furious blush with embarrassment  

that epsiode should have only been 15-20 minutes long and if they struggled to add better material for it they should have lengthened the other episodes to cover that 15-20 mintues

The Mighty Thor
On 19/01/2024 at 14:46, Ribble said:

Watched it all over the last few months. Really enjoyed it. 👍

Carl Fredrickson

My son has started studying WW2 at school so we have started watching BAND OF BROTHERS. A great show that has stimulated a lot of conversation not only about WW2 but also war and conflicts in general as well as mental health and bravery of man in conflicts. 

It is great viewing and my son has recognised a few of the support cast which has added to his enjoyment. 

PortyJambo
4 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

My son has started studying WW2 at school so we have started watching BAND OF BROTHERS. A great show that has stimulated a lot of conversation not only about WW2 but also war and conflicts in general as well as mental health and bravery of man in conflicts. 

It is great viewing and my son has recognised a few of the support cast which has added to his enjoyment. 

Masters of the Air, by the same makers of BoB and The Pacific, is coming to Apple TV+ next week. Should hopefully be good too, and is getting positive reviews from TV reviewers who have had advance viewings of it.

Carl Fredrickson
15 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Masters of the Air, by the same makers of BoB and The Pacific, is coming to Apple TV+ next week. Should hopefully be good too, and is getting positive reviews from TV reviewers who have had advance viewings of it.

I saw trailers for that - havent got Apple TV yet but may be a future option.

PortyJambo
5 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I saw trailers for that - havent got Apple TV yet but may be a future option.

Lot of good shows on it IMO (Slow Horses, For All Mankind, Silo are all favourites of mine), it's definitely worth getting a subscription for a while to watch a few. I reckon it has better quality shows than Netflix or Amazon, but maybe not the same quantity of shows that they have. I got 6 months free via Sky, so going to make the most of it.

Edited by PortyJambo

Carl Fredrickson
4 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Lot of good shows on it IMO (Slow Horses, For All Mankind, Silo are all favourites of mine), it's definitely worth getting a subscription for a while to watch a few. I reckon it has better quality shows than Netflix or Amazon, but maybe not the same quantity of shows that they have. I got 6 months free via Sky, so going to make the most of it.

I binned Netflix over a year ago and got it for a month over the festive period as I was off for a few weeks. Binned it again as there wasnt enough on it that I hadnt already seen to keep me interested. 

If Apple TV is a non contract pay monthly one then I think I will try it. Thanks for the heads up and recommendations 

PortyJambo
3 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I binned Netflix over a year ago and got it for a month over the festive period as I was off for a few weeks. Binned it again as there wasnt enough on it that I hadnt already seen to keep me interested. 

If Apple TV is a non contract pay monthly one then I think I will try it. Thanks for the heads up and recommendations 

Yep, can sign up and then cancel whenever you want. I've subscribed before, then cancelled, before taking up Sky's offer.

Carl Fredrickson
6 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Yep, can sign up and then cancel whenever you want. I've subscribed before, then cancelled, before taking up Sky's offer.

:thumbsup: Great, thanks. 

henrysmithsgloves

River hunters on Blaze... basically metal detectors search rivers near historical sites, found a few decent items 😎😎

True Detective Season 4 is 1/3 of the way through already and the mystery is only deepening.

Lots of callbacks to Season 1 too

Americana
On 20/01/2024 at 11:23, JudyJudyJudy said:

I enjoyed " Kin". An Orish " Sopranos".  Over the top nonsense but entertaining really. 8/10.  Hope there is a season 3

arrives this year on BBC apparently.

I am a fan.

JudyJudyJudy
26 minutes ago, Americana said:

arrives this year on BBC apparently.

I am a fan.

Oh great news 👍

Americana
3 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Oh great news 👍

Although I think theyve ruined the character of Jimmy. First few episodes he seemed like the top guy

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Americana said:

Although I think theyve ruined the character of Jimmy. First few episodes he seemed like the top guy

She he has been rather emasculated 

On 17/01/2024 at 19:54, Cade said:

Fargo Season 5 finale was superb

:verysmug:

Just started ep 1.

The air horn moment :Shanks:

jamb0_1874
On 21/01/2024 at 21:23, Sooperstar said:

Watched American Nightmare on Netflix. Documentary about a kidnapping. Mental story. 

Most script writers couldn't have dreamt that story up. Absolutely crazy stuff! 

True detective has started pretty good.

Tho, they should have casted a heterosexual to play the heterosexual chief. 

::troll:: 

Edited by ri Alban

Sex Panther
17 hours ago, Bozi said:

Has anybody watched Servant? 

Weird, creepy, very strange 

Yeah, I've watched them all - really enjoyed it. Like you say, pretty odd but you're never really sure the direction it's going in. The actress that plays the Mum is outstanding. (Lauren Ambrose I think?)

5 hours ago, Sex Panther said:

Yeah, I've watched them all - really enjoyed it. Like you say, pretty odd but you're never really sure the direction it's going in. The actress that plays the Mum is outstanding. (Lauren Ambrose I think?)

Yeah she is outstanding and it's hard to see the line where she became insane, she is brilliant

Toby Kebbel is tremendous as always, guy does not get the recognition he deserves 

the_jailer
1 hour ago, rudi must stay said:

Sexy Beast 

Turned it off after 10 mins thought it was shite, does it get any better? 

rudi must stay
2 minutes ago, the_jailer said:

Turned it off after 10 mins thought it was shite, does it get any better? 

Just thought it looked good from the trailer 

the_jailer
9 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Just thought it looked good from the trailer 

It was the acting that put me off it 

gregzy2k7

Would highly recommend the brothers sun on netflix, it's about a Taiwanese drug triad, a really good series if you like action/comedy.

3 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Would highly recommend the brothers sun on netflix, it's about a Taiwanese drug triad, a really good series if you like action/comedy.

I recommended it a few pages back. Great fun and the best driving range scene of all time. 

JudyJudyJudy
On 25/01/2024 at 15:12, Bozi said:

Has anybody watched Servant? 

Weird, creepy, very strange 

Never heard of this but just read more about it . MIght give it a go. Lauren Ambrose was in " 6 feet under" . 

37 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Never heard of this but just read more about it . MIght give it a go. Lauren Ambrose was in " 6 feet under" . 

It's tremendous, Lauren Ambrose is outstanding in it, Toby Kebbell is brilliant, in fact almost all the performances are top notch 

Masters of the Air (Apple+)

From the same producers who made Band of Brothers and The Pacific, this new show follows the experiences of the American 100th Bomb Group in the latter half of WW2.

Looks great with the costume department getting everything spot on and the battle scenes are gory and chaotic.

Only two episodes of the nine-episode run have come out so far but it's a solid 8/10 so far.

Dawnrazor

Not what you'd call a series in the traditional sense, but The John Robb Interviews on YouTube are worth a watch, the Youth interview is brilliant, he's bonkers 😂

Americana
On 27/01/2024 at 21:08, Cade said:

Masters of the Air (Apple+)

From the same producers who made Band of Brothers and The Pacific, this new show follows the experiences of the American 100th Bomb Group in the latter half of WW2.

Looks great with the costume department getting everything spot on and the battle scenes are gory and chaotic.

Only two episodes of the nine-episode run have come out so far but it's a solid 8/10 so far.

Really enjoying it and think its pretty cool cast too, it seems Austin Butler is actually Elvis 24/7 and as for Callum Turner , if youre smashing Dua Lipa in your off time then you deserve all the success you get.

Prob not giving the RAF the credit it deserves though.

Visually been pretty stunning so far too, look forward to the next episodes.

2 hours ago, Americana said:

Really enjoying it and think its pretty cool cast too, it seems Austin Butler is actually Elvis 24/7 and as for Callum Turner , if youre smashing Dua Lipa in your off time then you deserve all the success you get.

Prob not giving the RAF the credit it deserves though.

Visually been pretty stunning so far too, look forward to the next episodes.

The squadron it's following became famous not for the damage they did or the aerial battles they won, but for the staggering casualties they took.

The "Bloody 100th" is not a nickname you'd want.

It'd be relatively dull following RAF boys carpet-bombing cities at night.