Recommend a tv series

Walter Bishop

On 26/10/2023 at 00:59, Tazio said:

Bloody hell but these wildlife programmes don’t half make you appreciate  4k television. 

100%  they look amazing. Don’t know if you have a 4K player but the 4K discs look even better for these series

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Tazio

• Carl Fredrickson

• Ray Gin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

periodictabledancer
On 24/10/2023 at 16:54, Cade said:

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace

2004 British comedy starring Matthew Holness, Richard Ayoade, Matt Berry and Alice Lowe. 

A multi layered show, with talking heads discussing the cancellation and impact of a 1980s horror/drama show called Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

In this fictional show within a show, various supernatural events occur at Darkplace hospital.

The whole thing is shot deliberately badly, with jump cuts, visible microphones, terrible overdubbing, bad props, shite special effects, nonsensical plots and awful dialogue.

It's utter genius and will only take one evening to binge-watch as there are only 6 episodes each lasting around 25 minutes.

A superb show and very under-rated.

10/10

Channel?

Malinga the Swinga

Documentary called 'Who took Madeleine McCann' on iPlayer. Very one sided programme that portrays McCann's as innocent victims while desperately trying to pin guilt onto the German guy who is currently in jail.

It's all circumstantial evidence based on could be, possibly might be, odd behaviour here and there but absolutely **** all concrete evidence. There's a photo fit from a witness that looks nothing like the German, or at least in my eyes it doesn't but according to a private investigator, it's a real likeness. Wait for it, the guy has a few spots and therefore he must be guilty.

It's interesting to watch as it's shows how clever the McCann's campaign has been conducted over the years. 

The presenter comes over as someone who has been involved in this for so long he has become overly sympathetic to the McCanns.

No mention of parents leaving her alone while they went out on booze up, that's just ignored as if it was normal behaviour. 

Not saying Bruckner is a nice guy, he is after all a convicted criminal, but they haven't got anything linking him to Madeleine at all. 

It all looks like an attempt to close the case regardless of guilt or not.

scott herbertson

Two Channel 4 'Walter presents' series i have enjoyed recently are:

For Life - Norwegian crime series (somewhat similar to Girl with the dragon tattoo). Currently only runs to episode 5

The Marnow Murders. German whodunit series - Quirky and challenging as the cops are slightly bent but really enjoyed this one and decent ending (often a flaw with these)

SLY on Netflix.

superb docufilm on Sylvester Stallones life from pre Rocky to now. It’s brilliant. What a horrendous father he had.  Such a great story  10/10

Carl Fredrickson
8 hours ago, Disser Pointon said:

Series 2 of Time on BBC was very good, I enjoyed the first series also with Sean Bean.

A really great watch

On 03/11/2023 at 13:13, Disser Pointon said:

Series 2 of Time on BBC was very good, I enjoyed the first series also with Sean Bean.

Just watched this. Both series well worth watching.

I’ve started watching Last Stop Larrimah on Netflix. It’s about a disappearance of a man in a town with a population of 11. I’ve always known Northern Territory in Australia to be their equivalent of American Appalachian country but this is next level stuff. What a bunch of characters. 

Cameronstheman
On 05/11/2023 at 00:14, Tazio said:

I’ve started watching Last Stop Larrimah on Netflix. It’s about a disappearance of a man in a town with a population of 11. I’ve always known Northern Territory in Australia to be their equivalent of American Appalachian country but this is next level stuff. What a bunch of characters. 

I watched that yesterday, it was just mental from the off, but a good watch id say 

On 03/11/2023 at 13:13, Disser Pointon said:

Watching second series . Harrowing watch . Still can’t believe that the Jodie Whittaker character got time for just stealing a relatively insignificant amount of cash . Her descent into criminality is heart breaking to watch . I’ve only just finished episode 2 

Malinga the Swinga
On 07/11/2023 at 01:03, JudyJudyJudy said:

Watching second series . Harrowing watch . Still can’t believe that the Jodie Whittaker character got time for just stealing a relatively insignificant amount of cash . Her descent into criminality is heart breaking to watch . I’ve only just finished episode 2 

Shame it's based on utter bollocks. Not sure anyone has ever been jailed in the circumstances shown. They would get fine or community service at worst so I don't agree it's heart breaking, it is manipulation of viewers.

30 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Shame it's based on utter bollocks. Not sure anyone has ever been jailed in the circumstances shown. They would get fine or community service at worst so I don't agree it's heart breaking, it is manipulation of viewers.

Well Jimmy Mc govern is usually quite accurate with his research ? However as you note and I did it does seem unlikely she would get such a stiff jail sentence .

For All Mankind, the alternate history space exploration show, has kicked off its 4th season.

The series as a whole asks a basic question: "What if the space race never ended?" and expands upon the technological, societal and political effects of this.

Starting in the late 1960s and progressing more or less a decade per season, we're now in 2003.

Permanent bases have been established on the Moon and Mars and mankind is looking to begin commercial mining of asteroids.

Hopefully this season will break away from the shitey soap opera stuff that was creeping in and we'll get back to being a space adventure show.

22 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’ve started watching Bodies on Netflix. Not quite sure what to make of it after the first episode but it’s quite intriguing so far. 

Finished it tonight . I really enjoyed it . Totally unbelievable but so intriguing . Love anything to do with Time travel . It Also had a satisfactory ending . 8/10 from me . 

Two I’m really looking forward to…True Detective Season 4 in January and Shogun in February.

Edited by Deviskan

On 05/11/2023 at 00:14, Tazio said:

we just watched it tonight and it was mental. No idea what to make of it other than as you say it was like a take on weird character s.  Like a Jeremy Kyle show in Australia.  They said in it 36,000 go missing every year in Australia 😱 one every 3 hours or something. Jesus wept

Carl Fredrickson

Not a TV series as such and I am very late to the party with this one but I have been watching a lot of Would I Lie To You on Iplayer. 

I love it and Bob Mortimer has me laughing at loud with his antics. 

henrysmithsgloves
20 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Not a TV series as such and I am very late to the party with this one but I have been watching a lot of Would I Lie To You on Iplayer. 

I love it and Bob Mortimer has me laughing at loud with his antics. 

Bob's tales are things of pure comedic gold😆👍🏻

Carl Fredrickson
33 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Bob's tales are things of pure comedic gold😆👍🏻

I could listen to him for hours. No idea if he is telling truth or lies but he never disappoints. 

henrysmithsgloves
3 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I could listen to him for hours. No idea if he is telling truth or lies but he never disappoints. 

Self dentistry story🤣🤣

Watched ‘Harley and Katya’ on Netflix. 
about an Aussie and Russian girl who are figure ice skaters and put together and tells of the unbelievable pressures put on them , the obstacles and ultimately the tragic consequences they faced. No idea why I watched it but I was browsing and thought why not. it was fascinating and so sad. That lassie had so much pressure put on her shoulders. The dedication and hard work they have to put into this is off the scale. And it’s so dangerous.

8/10

Edited by 1971fozzy

scott herbertson

Black Snow

Aussie crime series with, rather oddly, Ragnar from Vikings in the lead role

My other half and I thought it was excellent - moving and challenging and a great plot.

On the Beeb

On 10/11/2023 at 23:54, Tazio said:

I’ve started watching Bodies on Netflix. Not quite sure what to make of it after the first episode but it’s quite intriguing so far. 

Why oh why does everyone in the future have 5hite haircuts? 

Binge watched 'the fall of the house of Usher' from the guys who did the haunting on house hill and haunting of Bly manor

Loosely based on Edgar Allan Poe and is (mostly) terrifically well acted, a bit creepy and well worth a watch 

4 hours ago, Bozi said:

Why oh why does everyone in the future have 5hite haircuts? 

Binge watched 'the fall of the house of Usher' from the guys who did the haunting on house hill and haunting of Bly manor

Loosely based on Edgar Allan Poe and is (mostly) terrifically well acted, a bit creepy and well worth a watch 

Just finished that. 9/10 Cracking series.

On 10/11/2023 at 14:28, Cade said:

For All Mankind, the alternate history space exploration show, has kicked off its 4th season.

The series as a whole asks a basic question: "What if the space race never ended?" and expands upon the technological, societal and political effects of this.

Starting in the late 1960s and progressing more or less a decade per season, we're now in 2003.

Permanent bases have been established on the Moon and Mars and mankind is looking to begin commercial mining of asteroids.

Hopefully this season will break away from the shitey soap opera stuff that was creeping in and we'll get back to being a space adventure show.

Last season I watched was where they had space marines on the moon and it was dreadful. Started off quite positively too.

1 hour ago, Americana said:

Last season I watched was where they had space marines on the moon and it was dreadful. Started off quite positively too.

Aye that particular storyline was too "hollywood" and dumb as feck.

Mars on season 3 was much better.

Malinga the Swinga

Squid game, the competition version started on Netflix. I like the way the players go down when eliminated, as if they were in TV version.

Looks fun but a couple of competitors already annoying.

Monarch: Legacy of Monsters has started streaming on Apple TV

Based on the Warner Bros. Godzilla/Kong franchise, it follows the history and uncovering of the shadowy Monarch organisation over three generations.

Visuals are top notch, acting is generally solid and the story is interesting enough.

At least, the first three episodes have been pretty good.

We'll see if the quality stays up to that standard in the remaining 7.

The Real Maroonblood
On 21/11/2023 at 20:54, henrysmithsgloves said:

Rewatching" person of interest" on Amazon freevee,fair enjoying it so far. 9/10

I really enjoyed that.

On 09/10/2023 at 23:47, jack D and coke said:

Beckham documentary is good. 
Good lad Becks. 

Just watched that at last. Very well put together, enjoyed it! 

Was googling a few things as I watched, one random thing I came across. The guy Dave Gardner who was his team mate at Utd at 14 but went on to become his agent and business partner has two kids with Liv Tyler! ****er.

Just started Rabbit Hole, first 2 episodes are great but not quite what I was expecting...

Though are they suggesting that Kieffers character was about 6 in 1982? 😱

On 10/11/2023 at 14:28, Cade said:

Good shout Cade,

Seems I only done the first two season with the second being baws. The third has been entertaining thus far.

On 23/11/2023 at 15:59, Cade said:

Monarch: Legacy of Monsters has started streaming on Apple TV

Based on the Warner Bros. Godzilla/Kong franchise, it follows the history and uncovering of the shadowy Monarch organisation over three generations.

Visuals are top notch, acting is generally solid and the story is interesting enough.

At least, the first three episodes have been pretty good.

We'll see if the quality stays up to that standard in the remaining 7.

Its been alright, quite slow at times and some massive jumps , sometimes making it hard to keep up with whats going on.

Well worth sticking with though.

1 hour ago, Americana said:

Its been alright, quite slow at times and some massive jumps , sometimes making it hard to keep up with whats going on.

Well worth sticking with though.

Kurt Russell playing Kurt Russell, as usual.

That's not a bad thing.