Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Tazio

• Carl Fredrickson

• Ray Gin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 20/12/2023 at 21:56, Carl Fredrickson said:

Killing Sherlock is the latest offering form Lucy Worsley on BBC. 

I thoroughly enjoyed this and I now know a lot more about Arthur Conan Doyle than I thought I would ever know. 

I love Lucys shows and she is great at making history interesting and more appealing (I find Tony Robinson similar in that they are very engaging).

I am not the biggest Sherlock Homes fan but I may read some of the stories after watching this. 

Im  a big Sherlock fan and really admire ACD.  He is one of our greatest citizens for a variety of reasons. Ive only watched the first episode and its very good. She is very informative and knowledgable.  Get reading those Sherlock books or listen on audio.  He really was the worlds greatest detective. 

2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

heavy on the Red lipstick

one of my female pals used to call her red lippy " hoors red " . :) she liked it very red . 

2 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

Ghosts - no, not the "real" kind that some believe in, but the sitcom on BBC1. Last ever episode, supposedly, on Christmas day. 

I'm not much of a fan usually of sitcoms, or even the gentle comedy that Ghosts is, but love this show since I decided to watch the first one a few years ago (was able to then binge a few as they'd made 3 seasons by then). It can get a bit too saccharine sometimes (which is what I usually hate about sitcoms) but on the whole it's kept my engagement over the 5 seasons.

Any other fans?

As in many shows that prove popular, the US has made a remake, but I've never watched it although it too apparently gets decent reviews. No doubt they'll continue making it when it's long past its sell-by date though and ruin it.

One of those programmes that annoys me if I happen to stumble across it for a couple of minutes. Not for me. 

Vanishing Act ITVX

Part of the Underbelly series from Oz.

Con woman who took investments from family, friends and whoever. Invested nothing and spent it all on herself in a glamorous lifestyle.

Goes missing when rumbled.

Great story, only 3 episodes. But also a 90 minute documentary follow ip.

Edited by Tommy Brown

just started watching Reservation Dogs  on Disney.  Great stuff so far, all about a bunch of indiginous American Indian teenagers in Oklahama and their exploits to get some cash... and their advice from their wasted spirit fathers lol.   half hour episodes like The Bear which is the best thing I've seen in a long time.

On 22/12/2023 at 11:10, Carl Fredrickson said:

You have way higher standards than me.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and I can find beauty in almost any female. (Miss West Lothian being the exceptions)

Knocked back by Stampy type post :whistling:

10 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Vanishing Act ITVX

Con woman who took investments from family, friends and whoever. Invested nothing and spent it all on herself in a glamorous lifestyle.

The doc was on TV a couple of nights ago. Quite a strange disappearance and questions which will never be answered. 

On 23/12/2023 at 09:11, Tommy Brown said:

Vanishing Act ITVX

Watched the documentary yesterday after watching the 3 episodes. So, dead, alive or what? The drama seemed to suggest she was still alive but the documentary otherwise. She certainly seemed capable of faking her own death.

36 minutes ago, JWL said:

Watched the documentary yesterday after watching the 3 episodes. So, dead, alive or what? The drama seemed to suggest she was still alive but the documentary otherwise. She certainly seemed capable of faking her own death.

Found it strange that there wasn't more detail about the foot in the shoe. Surely they were able to tell how it had been separated from the rest of the body. 

1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

Found it strange that there wasn't more detail about the foot in the shoe. Surely they were able to tell how it had been separated from the rest of the body. 

Yep, surely forensics would be able to determine the nature of the detachment. Or at least rule out a few things like shark attack or it being sawn off manually.

On 22/12/2023 at 10:54, PortyJambo said:

Ghosts - no, not the "real" kind that some believe in, but the sitcom on BBC1. Last ever episode, supposedly, on Christmas day. 

I'm not much of a fan usually of sitcoms, or even the gentle comedy that Ghosts is, but love this show since I decided to watch the first one a few years ago (was able to then binge a few as they'd made 3 seasons by then). It can get a bit too saccharine sometimes (which is what I usually hate about sitcoms) but on the whole it's kept my engagement over the 5 seasons.

Any other fans?

As in many shows that prove popular, the US has made a remake, but I've never watched it although it too apparently gets decent reviews. No doubt they'll continue making it when it's long past its sell-by date though and ruin it.

loved the uk version but give the US version a watch , I think its the better of the 2.

1 hour ago, thee jambo said:

loved the uk version but give the US version a watch , I think its the better of the 2.

I'll give it another try. Watched the first couple and it wasn't grabbing me but will see if it grows on me.

Rupert Pupkin

Obliterated on Netflix…. Completely over the top,a totally ridiculous concept , but really good fun

I'm enjoying Blue Eye Sumurai on Netflix, an adult animated action series. 

I've never watched any anime-type stuff before but gave it a shot after a couple of friends recommended it and I'm really impressed with it. Love the artwork style and the fight scenes are really well done.

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

I've never watched any anime-type stuff before but gave it a shot after a couple of friends recommended it and I'm really impressed with it. Love the artwork style and the fight scenes are really well done.

it’s superb 👍

4 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

2 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

it’s superb 👍

its been renewed for a second season :yas:

PortyJambo

Just finished watching season 3 of Slow Horses on Apple+ and, as I'm sure I've said before on here, it's brilliant. There's already a Season 4 expected by the end of 2024 and a Season 5 has been ordered too.

Gary Oldman is his usual excellent self as an actor in the main role, but the rest of the cast do a great job too. I read that he plans to retire from acting once Slow Horses finishes...but that could be a while if it keeps getting great reviews and being renewed by Apple as it has been.

Disser Pointon
15 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

Just finished watching season 3 of Slow Horses on Apple+ and, as I'm sure I've said before on here, it's brilliant. There's already a Season 4 expected by the end of 2024 and a Season 5 has been ordered too.

Gary Oldman is his usual excellent self as an actor in the main role, but the rest of the cast do a great job too. I read that he plans to retire from acting once Slow Horses finishes...but that could be a while if it keeps getting great reviews and being renewed by Apple as it has been.

Agreed. Watched the first season ages ago and only got round to the other 2 over the festive period but raced right through them.

Ron Burgundy

Godless on Netflix. Only one season but thought it was great. Violent western.

5 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Godless on Netflix. Only one season but thought it was great. Violent western.

It’s a real shame it was only the one season but it was as you say too both. I think I might need to rewatch it soon as I’ve not seen it since the initial release. 

henrysmithsgloves

Ww1 in colour on my5. Lions led by donkeys. Such a waste of life🥺 10/10

On 02/01/2024 at 18:52, PortyJambo said:

Just came on to say the same but you beat me to it 

Dark Winds on Alibi/Now.  A 1970s murder and heist police procedural set on a Navajo reservation. 

The long shadow on STV player, makes the Yorkshire police force look like c###s long before Hillsborough but brilliant cast and very well acted 

Malinga the Swinga
On 29/12/2023 at 17:07, Rupert Pupkin said:

Obliterated on Netflix…. Completely over the top,a totally ridiculous concept , but really good fun

I enjoyed that as well. Not everything needs to make you seriously think about life and this certainly was a sit back and just enjoy experience.

PortyJambo
On 29/12/2023 at 17:07, Rupert Pupkin said:

I read a review that gave it 1 out of 5 stars before I watched it, in the Grauniad of course, that called it out for being crass, racist, objectifying women and reminded them of all that was wrong with 90's type shows/films, etc, etc....when, of course, it reminded me of all that was fun about shows from that era. And, unlike the reviewer, the show didn't take itself seriously and was fairly enjoyable.

Started watching The Morning Show season 1 a few nights ago starring Reece Witherspoon and Jennifer Aniston. It’s been a good watch so far but my like of those two beauties might be somehow clouding my vision. Although the wife is enjoying it also!

John Findlay

I enjoyed the Mr Bates versus the Post Office on ITV. Toby Jones a good actor the actress who played his wife, sorry I forget her name, also a good actress as she proved in the second series of Broadchurch.

The documentary that was on at 10.45pm last night was also very good.

I recommend watching the drama and documentary on catch up or ITVX or STV iPlayer.

milky_26
45 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I enjoyed the Mr Bates versus the Post Office on ITV. Toby Jones a good actor the actress who played his wife, sorry I forget her name, also a good actress as she proved in the second series of Broadchurch.

I recommend watching the drama and documentary on catch up or ITVX or STV iPlayer.

Julie Hesmondhalgh

John Findlay
11 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Julie Hesmondhalgh

Thanks for that.

16 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

If you're seeing adverts for 'Fool Me Once' (Netflix), I'd say don't bother. 

Good to know as my mrs wants to start watching that tonight so will tell her to wait till I’m backshift next week and can watch it on her own 👍

henrysmithsgloves

James may in India, interesting and informative..btw on Amazon 9/10

On 05/01/2024 at 08:13, micole said:

Fargo season 5....absolutely bonkers, I love it.

I really must catch up on that, I loved the first two seasons but for some reason never caught the 3rd or 4th.

In a similar vein, True Detective returns on 14th jan.

Jamhammer
On 05/01/2024 at 13:42, John Findlay said:

2nd this 

Just finished it

Really good

Tommy Brown
On 05/01/2024 at 08:13, micole said:

Fargo season 5....absolutely bonkers, I love it.

Have you watched The Tourist on BBC

Like a British version, violent, mad. But also funny as ****.

S2 now on iplayer.

1971fozzy
On 05/01/2024 at 23:24, Mikey1874 said:

If you're seeing adverts for 'Fool Me Once' (Netflix), I'd say don't bother. 

It’s awful

Heart of Darkness

Just finished watching series 1 of Back To Life, really funny characters with some sad & serious bits thrown in. About a woman released from prison after 20 years and trying to get on with life. Only 30 minutes an episode. 

1971fozzy

The Mandalorian S1 - 4K disc

late to the party with this one but heard good things about it so thought I’d blind buy. Superb. 8 episodes and each one has different bounty stories but an underlying story arc.

that wee yoda ‘Grogu’ is so cute. Really impressive series. Looking forward to watching seasons 2 & 3

Heart of Darkness
12 hours ago, Heart of Darkness said:

Just finished watching series 1 of Back To Life, really funny characters with some sad & serious bits thrown in. About a woman released from prison after 20 years and trying to get on with life. Only 30 minutes an episode. 

*Netflix