Recommend a tv series

Walter Bishop

RustyRightPeg
On 09/03/2024 at 02:34, Tazio said:

Just watched the first couple of episodes of The Gentlemen on Netflix. Pretty entertaining so far. 

It's brilliant. Very Guy Ritchie. Binged the whole lot on Friday-Saturday.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Tazio

• Carl Fredrickson

• Ray Gin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ron Burgundy

Started Shogun on Disney+, enjoyed the first episode but other half came in and asked if I was watching Monkey. :jj_facepalm:

Ron Burgundy
21 hours ago, Cade said:

Shogun is warming up nicely.

:wow:

Where are you at with it?

2 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Where are you at with it?

Episode 4, bang up to date.

Ron Burgundy
35 minutes ago, Cade said:

Episode 4, bang up to date.

I’m on episode 3. Enjoying it so far. 

Canscot
On 14/02/2024 at 00:37, Carl Fredrickson said:

Started series 2 of Kin and so far it is as good as the first series. 

Started watching it today but…….. for us not tuned into the Oirish accent, it is almost unwatchable. It might help if they moved their lips while speaking and maybe I could lipread what I miss😉

It does look like it would be good if I could only understand them. 
Aussie shows I find a tough watch ( listen) at times also🤷‍♂️

Well that's Masters of the Air done and dusted.

Following Band of Brothers and The Pacific, this series follows the American "bloody 100th" bomber group who took appalling casualties over Axis-held territory during WW2.

Battle scenes are frantic, gory and visually great.
Characterisation is solid with personalities changing over time as the war takes its toll. 
Historical accuracy was pretty decent, for a TV show.

A few mis-steps here and there, with one or two storylines added that did nothing, went nowhere and only took valuable air time away from the main characters. 

Editing was strange, with big time jumps, some major events missing or being rushed and yet lots of other time being wasted on stupid shite nobody cares about.

Overall a 7/10 for the series as a whole.

Rupert Pupkin

Started watching Underbelly again.. Wasn’t aware there was 7 seasons..

JudyJudyJudy
18 hours ago, Canscot said:

Started watching it today but…….. for us not tuned into the Oirish accent, it is almost unwatchable. It might help if they moved their lips while speaking and maybe I could lipread what I miss😉

Happy st Patrick’s day ☘️ 😂

JudyJudyJudy

“ the gentlemen” started off really good but feel it’s lost its way . On episode 6 now . Some awful stereotyping of the gypsy travelling community too . 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

Canscot
1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Happy st Patrick’s day ☘️ 😂

👍I understand the written language fine! Top O’ the mornin’ tae ye!

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Canscot said:

👍I understand the written language fine! Top O’ the mornin’ tae ye!

Actually I struggled at first too and had it on subtitles till I got used to their accents . Also there is a notable tendency for shitty sound levels on various productions plus mumbling actors too 

Canscot
20 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Actually I struggled at first too and had it on subtitles till I got used to their accents . Also there is a notable tendency for shitty sound levels on various productions plus mumbling actors too 

I was using the Firestick/IPTV to watch it.  I tried turning on subtitles nut there was a glutch either with my service or the stick. It kept booting me out of the app numerous times. I gave up after about 8 tries😡

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, Canscot said:

I was using the Firestick/IPTV to watch it.  I tried turning on subtitles nut there was a glutch either with my service or the stick. It kept booting me out of the app numerous times. I gave up after about 8 tries😡

I managed it on mine as I watched rhd first season on I player 

periodictabledancer

The Truth Will Out on More4.

An 8 part series from Sweden about the death  of a lawyer involved in the case of a serial killer. The murderer claims the serial killer is a liar. Based on true events. Very atmospheric , good story. Complex characters, well written. Not my usual cup of tea but   7/10.

Already on the second series. 

Tommy Brown
21 hours ago, Canscot said:

Any program or movie these days, subtitles are on.

She will say, "are you deaf?"

No, I can't bloody make out what they are saying.

Canscot
41 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Any program or movie these days, subtitles are on.

She will say, "are you deaf?"

No, I can't bloody make out what they are saying.

😂😂😂 I even have one of those soundbars which has a feature where it can enhance the voices of the actors while toning down the peripheral/background sounds. It does not help with the Oirish accents though!😉

Americana
On 17/03/2024 at 03:01, Cade said:

Following Band of Brothers and The Pacific, this series follows the American "bloody 100th" bomber group who took appalling casualties over Axis-held territory during WW2.

Characterisation is solid with personalities changing over time as the war takes its toll. 

A few mis-steps here and there, with one or two storylines added that did nothing, went nowhere and only took valuable air time away from the main characters. 

Editing was strange, with big time jumps, some major events missing or being rushed and yet lots of other time being wasted on stupid shite nobody cares about.

Lost its way after the the first four I though but still very very good. 

Really enjoying Shogun, found the Tom Hardy wannabe main character quite hard to stand at the start but its growing on me. Made me quite fascinated with Japan, somewhere I have always wanted to visit.

PortyJambo
On 17/03/2024 at 03:01, Cade said:

45 minutes ago, Americana said:

Lost its way after the the first four I though but still very very good. 

Yeah, I agree re Masters of the Air, good but not quite up there with BoB and The Pacific.

Some of that, I believe, is down to it being based in the air, as you just didn't get the same personal confrontations as you do in ground combat. Of course, that's to be expected, but I struggled sometimes with not knowing who was who in the aircraft with them having their air-masks on, so there wasn't as much of a connection with what was happening to them. 

Tommy Brown
On 17/03/2024 at 12:13, Rupert Pupkin said:

Started watching Underbelly again.. Wasn’t aware there was 7 seasons..

Watched 1 & 2 when first aired, thought it was brilliant

Re-watched s1 during covid - what a hapless bunch of arseholes.

s5 about Anthony Rooster Perish is really good. Nasty *******.

s7 Vanishing Act was really good and aired on ITV last year

Not seen the others yet

Rupert Pupkin
7 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Watched 1 & 2 when first aired, thought it was brilliant

Re-watched s1 during covid - what a hapless bunch of arseholes.

s5 about Anthony Rooster Perish is really good. Nasty *******.

s7 Vanishing Act was really good and aired on ITV last year

Not seen the others yet

Yeah watched season 1 when it aired… On rewatch I’m pretty sure nnow I never saw all the episodes.. Enjoying it though 

Americana
On 18/03/2024 at 11:56, PortyJambo said:

Yeah, I agree re Masters of the Air, good but not quite up there with BoB and The Pacific.

Some of that, I believe, is down to it being based in the air, as you just didn't get the same personal confrontations as you do in ground combat. Of course, that's to be expected, but I struggled sometimes with not knowing who was who in the aircraft with them having their air-masks on, so there wasn't as much of a connection with what was happening to them. 

If you enjoyed The Pacific I highly recommend Robert Leckies book " A Helmet For My Pillow"

Cameronstheman

The Godfather Of Harlem on Amazon Prime is quite good id say 

Muppetboy

My wife, my abuser, my 5.  Generally desensitised to a lot of stuff on TV nowadays, but this hit me quite hard. Horrifically evil abuse documented by a husband's secret camera in the kids playroom. The word evil is overused these days but it's the only way I can describe the guys bitch of a wife, and what she put her husband and her kids through. A very tough watch.

JudyJudyJudy
On 18/03/2024 at 11:56, PortyJambo said:

Yes I felt it was quite episodic . It was like it was all rushed and agree re the aerial scenes . Why didn’t they extend the narrative in the concentration camp too ? That could have had more potential but I guess it’s about the air. No way is in on par with “ band of brothers” 

one think which annoyed was the ending montage of what happened to the air men . Couple black guys were given a mention but their stories were not given much time throughout the series . It felt quite insulting to them really 

PortyJambo
55 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes I felt it was quite episodic . It was like it was all rushed and agree re the aerial scenes . Why didn’t they extend the narrative in the concentration camp too ? That could have had more potential but I guess it’s about the air. No way is in on par with “ band of brothers” 

one think which annoyed was the ending montage of what happened to the air men . Couple black guys were given a mention but their stories were not given much time throughout the series . It felt quite insulting to them really 

Couple of the stories seemed to get started but not really finished in the show, the Tuskagee Airmen, as you mentioned, were introduced, shown a little, but then more or less dropped. Same with Crosby's girlfriend, that story just seemed to get dropped, no idea what happened to her and, because of that, it seemed a waste of airtime to even include her story (no idea if she was just added for the show or not, or was a real person).

25 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Couple of the stories seemed to get started but not really finished in the show, the Tuskagee Airmen, as you mentioned, were introduced, shown a little, but then more or less dropped. Same with Crosby's girlfriend, that story just seemed to get dropped, no idea what happened to her and, because of that, it seemed a waste of airtime to even include her story (no idea if she was just added for the show or not, or was a real person).

Had to tick the diversity boxes, so you got the Tuskagee Airmen thrown in for about 20 minutes of run-time, which is a total disservice to them and really was rather insulting.

And we also got "Sandra Bond" doing some SOE spy shit.

Neither thread achieved anything, meant anything or had any relevance to the main plotlines the show was running with.

Just randomly jammed into the series which was supposed to be about the 100th bomber group.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, PortyJambo said:

Yes the black airmens story was seriously underrused.  Why? Maybe there were more scenes and they got out ? But it was pretty poor. Same with the romance between the airman and the air woman. It went no where. 

Tommy Brown

Enjoying Coma on ç5

A man gets pestered by a young ned.

The story gets more and more farcical.

Amusing watch. Not going to give story away. Only 4 episodes, finishes tomorrow.

Will be on the c5 app.

Bizarrely filmed in Budapest, but set in any town in England.

20 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Enjoying Coma on ç5

Amusing watch. Not going to give story away. Only 4 episodes, finishes tomorrow.

Will be on the c5 app.

It’s cheap to film in Eastern Europe. 

Tommy Brown
5 hours ago, Tazio said:

It’s cheap to film in Eastern Europe. 

👍

Just so strikingly obvious that it isn't UK, you get intrigued to look it up.

Sooperstar
8 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Enjoying Coma on ç5

Will be on the c5 app.

A few years back I promised myself never to watch a C5 drama again. Not something I'm going to go back on. They trick you with the adverts which look/sound good, then the actual thing is awful. 

PortyJambo

Another Michael Connolly 'Bosch' spinoff series will be coming to Prime for those who have enjoyed 'Bosch' and 'Bosch: Legacy'. This time based on his character Renée Ballard which he's written a few books about, and that also include Bosch in them. Maggie Q is going to play her. Amazon seem to be going all in with the Bosch franchise.

https://deadline.com/2024/03/maggie-q-renee-ballard-bosch-spinoff-1235864247/

mrmarkus1981_1
On 20/03/2024 at 15:08, Muppetboy said:

My wife, my abuser, my 5.  Generally desensitised to a lot of stuff on TV nowadays, but this hit me quite hard. Horrifically evil abuse documented by a husband's secret camera in the kids playroom. The word evil is overused these days but it's the only way I can describe the guys bitch of a wife, and what she put her husband and her kids through. A very tough watch.

Watching this just now, what a shame for the bloke. What an absolute psycho 😮 

Ray Gin

I enjoyed the first season of Mr Mercedes on Disney. A mass murderer taunts the retired detective who failed to catch him. 

Muppetboy
1 hour ago, mrmarkus1981_1 said:

Watching this just now, what a shame for the bloke. What an absolute psycho 😮 

Yeah mate, seeing that actually unfold and the evil in her words was very unsettling. The guy was such a shell of his former self

milky_26
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

I enjoyed the first season of Mr Mercedes on Disney. A mass murderer taunts the retired detective who failed to catch him. 

i enjoyed all three series of it

PortyJambo
2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

I did too. Brendan Gleeson is great in it as the retired detective.

milky_26
8 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

I did too. Brendan Gleeson is great in it as the retired detective.

justine lupe who played holly gibney is great in it as well

Ray Gin
2 hours ago, milky_26 said:

Good to hear 👍

Sooperstar

I'm two episodes (from 3) into the Channel 4 documentary on Charles Sobhraj (The Serpent). Really interesting, the forensic psychologist is brilliant. 

JudyJudyJudy
21 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

I concur with others its really good .  

milky_26
On 05/03/2024 at 10:19, Americana said:

Managed two episodes and couldnt force myself to watch anymore.

I just want a decent space series along the lines of For All of Mankind but not so cheesy.

the first two episodes seem to be more a seeting the scene. i have watched the first 4 and am still unsure but it is developing into something a bit better.

Tommy Brown

Archie  (STV/ITV player)

Story of Cary Grant, very interesting stuff.

Four 1hr episodes.

BlueRiver

Anybody watched The Three Body Problem on Netflix? 

I'm a massive fan of the book trilogy and I'm assuming it's based on that so curious what folk think. 

Also adding myself to the chorus of Shogun is class. 

BlueRiver

Another one I watched lately was Fall of the House of Usher on Netflix. Based on works by Edgar Allan Poe. I'd recommend it if you're a fan and maybe worth dipping a toe even if not but it is very gory at parts. 

9 hours ago, BlueRiver said:

Another one I watched lately was Fall of the House of Usher on Netflix. Based on works by Edgar Allan Poe. I'd recommend it if you're a fan and maybe worth dipping a toe even if not but it is very gory at parts. 

It's brilliant and really well done, made me want to watch "the Haunting of" series but the missus is shiteing herself to watch them. 

Midnight mass is interesting but nowhere near as good. 

20 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

I'm two episodes (from 3) into the Channel 4 documentary on Charles Sobhraj (The Serpent). Really interesting, the forensic psychologist is brilliant. 

Yeah we want to finish that tonight, really good but looking to see if they can pin him in the final episode. Man is brilliantly manipulative and clearly doesn't feel that anything he did was wrong, he probably views every casualty as just something to get out of the way so he can get what he wants 

BlueRiver
4 hours ago, Bozi said:

It's brilliant and really well done, made me want to watch "the Haunting of" series but the missus is shiteing herself to watch them. 

Midnight mass is interesting but nowhere near as good. 

Similar story here 😂 

Is Midnight Mass done by the same guy too?